FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Brexit Anyone? (2)
::Off-topic discussion.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 17 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Mar 19 17:313rd Mar 19 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 pm  
Cronus wrote:
Reading and comprehension clearly not your strong point, is it.

Shush now, let the grown ups talk. :SUBMISSION:
See this is the problem, people such as yourself make vaguely xenophobic statements and then get extremely defensive when someone questions them which means we can't ever have a realistic debate about this stuff.

Let's see what you actually wrote, you talked about the economic impact, social impact and demand on infrastructure cause by immigration. We can cross off the economic argument straight away because numerous studies have shown that EU migrants have a positive net economic contribution, you also said you don't care if they're working so I would guess that's not high on your list of priorities. Demand on infrastructure is a total non-argument because a larger population should in theory mean more workers in every sector, if that isn't happening it's a problem with the system rather than an issue of 'too many people'. And in fact the reality if you ever go to a hospital or doctors surgery is the immigrants are almost always the ones treating people rather than being treated. Without immigrantion the NHS would likely fall apart because our services are grossly underfunded and not enough is being done to train British healthcare workers. So yeah, we can scratch that argument too.

Then we have the 'social cost'. Which as far as I can tell is another way of saying that you don't like immigrants, and that's your only real argument here that doesn't fall down under the slightest bit of scrutiny. So yeah, based on this I conclude that you are a xenophobe who doesn't like immigrants, even if you don't want to admit it to yourself. If I'm misinterpreting your posts then please correct me.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1538
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 20177 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 24 18:2112th Dec 23 11:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:41 pm  
I love how some people are still deluded enough to think that this is anything other than a shitshow power grab by the extreme right and they think they personally will still be better off out of the EU. It's time to wake up, Brexit could be successful if done properly and with care, but we have the exact opposite of that happening right now and the worst offenders to democracy have become the self titled Brexit dreamteam
Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Dec 20 18:2622nd Jun 20 21:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:55 pm  
headhunter wrote:
See this is the problem, people such as yourself make vaguely xenophobic statements and then get extremely defensive when someone questions them which means we can't ever have a realistic debate about this stuff.

No, the problem is the left immediately make inflammatory comments such as 'you don't like foreigners'. Throw schoolyard insults, get them in return.

Oh and if you simply read this thread you will see a 'realistic' debate over many months. Wrong again.

Let's see what you actually wrote, you talked about the economic impact, social impact and demand on infrastructure cause by immigration. We can cross off the economic argument straight away because numerous studies have shown that EU migrants have a positive net economic contribution, you also said you don't care if they're working so I would guess that's not high on your list of priorities.

No, you can't cross it off. Mass uncontrolled immigration in reality brings in massive numbers of low earners. Low wages are squeezed, housing stock is squeezed, infrastructure is squeezed. So yes the Treasury might see a few more sheckles but plenty of people feel the squeeze in many ways. That most immigrants work and pay tax is lovely, but there is far more at play than that. Too many people, too quickly.

Demand on infrastructure is a total non-argument because a larger population should in theory mean more workers in every sector, if that isn't happening it's a problem with the system rather than an issue of 'too many people'. And in fact the reality if you ever go to a hospital or doctors surgery is the immigrants are almost always the ones treating people rather than being treated. Without immigrantion the NHS would likely fall apart because our services are grossly underfunded and not enough is being done to train British healthcare workers. So yeah, we can scratch that argument too.

Nope, you can't. The reason being infrastructure takes years, sometimes decades to plan and build. Net migration each year is insane at around 250,000 (around 50% of our total population growth). Are there more GPs, houses, hospital beds, school places, roads, etc immediately in place to account for this growth? No, there aren't. Once again: too many, too quickly.

A question I ask all Remainers is this: if you're a local council, how can you forecast how many school places, hospital beds, GPs, houses, etc you need and plan effectively for the future - if you have no frigging idea how many people are going to arrive? You can't.

Yes, the NHS would struggle if every immigrant left. But that's not going to happen. For a start, only around 12% of NHS staff are non-British and the majority of those are non-EU. That being said, if the NHS had planned and recruited effectively we would never have relied on overseas labour to any degree.
Then we have the 'social cost'. Which as far as I can tell is another way of saying that you don't like immigrants, and that's your only real argument here that doesn't fall down under the slightest bit of scrutiny. So yeah, based on this I conclude that you are a xenophobe who doesn't like immigrants, even if you don't want to admit it to yourself. If I'm misinterpreting your posts then please correct me.

Over the last decade massive areas of our towns and cities have changed beyond recognition due to immigration. EU and non-EU. Of course the left don't care about the upheaval this brings - in fact anyone who makes any complaint is mechanically accused of xenophobia (oh, look at what you said). I still fail to understand why the left disregard the concerns of so many Britons and...oh yes I remember now, diversity is oh so wonderful and Jeremy Corbyn. :lol:

Honestly, at this stage only the most blinkered leftist loon still insists uncontrolled immigration is a good thing. Oh it's a nice cosy concept if movement of people is reasonably equal...but it's not. Eastern and Southern European (and many non-EU) immigrants are flooding to the UK, France, the Germanic regions and Scandinavia (in part due to the failure of the Euro). Opening the borders between such economically unequal countries was always a feckin stupid idea.

Sensible, controlled immigration is a wholly positive thing for any country. Unfortunately that's not what we have right now.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17871
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:0828th Mar 24 10:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:34 pm  
Does anyone actually believe that we will end up with the Brexit deal, thay May & Co seem to be dreaming about ?

Free trade with the EU
No hard border in Ireland
Bespoke customs union
Free to establish our own trade deals with the rest of the world

The Tories appear to be on the brink of civil war and Labour, god help us.
bren2k 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 20 12:495th May 20 08:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:16 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Does anyone actually believe that we will end up with the Brexit deal, thay May & Co seem to be dreaming about ?

Free trade with the EU
No hard border in Ireland
Bespoke customs union
Free to establish our own trade deals with the rest of the world

The Tories appear to be on the brink of civil war and Labour, god help us.

I'm beginning to wonder if Labour are deliberately playing the long game. If they come out now and oppose Brexit altogether, there'll be a backlash - but as it is now becoming abundantly clear that the 35 or so hardline Brexiteers in the Tory party are in fantasy land in terms of the 'deal' they keep banging on about, and as more and more information emerges showing that Brexit will damage the economy for years to come, one would imagine that all but the daft racists who voted Leave to get rid of Polish people, will see the folly of the whole thing. Some polls already suggest that a majority of people, given the opportunity, would vote Remain.

Maybe JC is letting it play out - the Tories are tearing themselves apart and Mrs May is enduring death by a thousand cuts; and public opinion is slowly shifting - there will be a sweet spot when it's not political suicide to block it - hopefully through a vote in parliament on the final deal.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17871
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:0828th Mar 24 10:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:22 pm  
bren2k wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if Labour are deliberately playing the long game. If they come out now and oppose Brexit altogether, there'll be a backlash - but as it is now becoming abundantly clear that the 35 or so hardline Brexiteers in the Tory party are in fantasy land in terms of the 'deal' they keep banging on about, and as more and more information emerges showing that Brexit will damage the economy for years to come, one would imagine that all but the daft racists who voted Leave to get rid of Polish people, will see the folly of the whole thing. Some polls already suggest that a majority of people, given the opportunity, would vote Remain.

Maybe JC is letting it play out - the Tories are tearing themselves apart and Mrs May is enduring death by a thousand cuts; and public opinion is slowly shifting - there will be a sweet spot when it's not political suicide to block it - hopefully through a vote in parliament on the final deal.

In fairness, Labour are also split on the EU and Corbyn has been extremely shy about telling us what he thinks, cherry picking which aspects of "leave" that suit his agenda.
With such a fragile parliamentary majority, May has been walking a tightrope but, at some point she has to make it to he other side and this will inevitably cause her to fall both metaphorically and politically.
Every chance of another general election, right in the midst of EU negotiations.
It looked a mess at the outset and looks no clearer now and all of our futures rest with the "strong and stable" leadership of the country.

As for the shift in public opinion, I understood that there had been relatively little change, certainly no substantial movement in either direction. Mind you, the pollsters haven't been too hot over the past 5 years or so.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Mar 24 08:2514th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 am  
wrencat1873 wrote:
As for the shift in public opinion, I understood that there had been relatively little change, certainly no substantial movement in either direction. Mind you, the pollsters haven't been too hot over the past 5 years or so.

Personal well-being in the UK: July 2016 to June 2017

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... tojune2017
wrencat1873 wrote:

Personal well-being in the UK: July 2016 to June 2017

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... tojune2017
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31543
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years76th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:1527th Mar 24 15:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 am  
Whether it's deal or no deal the Tories will remain split. The idea that a referendum would "settle this issue once and for all" is proven to be complete baloney.

Split parties don't usually win elections. Labour is keeping quiet because they too are split but will end up picking up the pieces and a situation far worse than 2010 with public services in ruins, country even more in debt and operating at a trading handicap in comparison with our competitors.
bren2k 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 20 12:495th May 20 08:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:43 am  
wrencat1873 wrote:
In fairness, Labour are also split on the EU and Corbyn has been extremely shy about telling us what he thinks, cherry picking which aspects of "leave" that suit his agenda.

I remain of the view that at this moment in time, there is no meaningful political gain in coming out as directly opposing Brexit; that would engender a massive campaign from the right wing MSM, and the resulting dog whistle reaction from those people who seem to agree that having any kind of political view that doesn't align with their own, makes them a 'traitor' or an 'enemy of the people.'

I'm relatively relaxed about Labour's position at the moment - the Tories are by any measure ballsing up the negotiations, and their leader is on a knife-edge in terms of any kind of longevity; if there's one thing the Tories do well, it's ruthlessly kill off a weak leader - as can be seen by JRM's sinister cabal of 35 or so MP's, who have formed a party within a party - they're not far off a leadership challenge with those kind of numbers, and with the Minister for the 18th Century the hot favourite to take over, I'm content that would make the Tories unelectable for a number of years to come.

I think there's plenty more to play out before the so-called transition period is over, and as has been pointed out many times by the man who drafted it, A50 can be revoked at any time. Meanwhile, Labour's take on the NHS, social care, privatisation, homelessness, inequality etc is gaining popular support - there might still be a chance to salvage something from this mess.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Mar 24 08:2514th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: Brexit Anyone? (2) : Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 am  
bren2k wrote:
if there's one thing the Tories do well, it's ruthlessly kill off a weak leader

Interesting watching Stephen Fry on The Last Leg on Friday night. He summed it up pretty well - if you're a Conservative party leader, the enemy isn't sitting opposite you, they're sitting behind you.

If the ground would open up and swallow her, May would be more than relieved. My big question... Why is her hubby always hanging around like a bad smell?
PreviousNext