FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Leeds Rhinos 24 - 30 Huddersfield Giants LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Full Time.
 Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens 58 - 0 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Full Time.
 Current LIVE TV Match : Wigan Warriors 36 - 14 Castleford Tigers LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Full Time.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Toronto positives
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain318No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 08 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Aug 19 11:595th Aug 19 13:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Toronto positives : Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:42 pm  
Firstly a very committed performance. Well done to all players.
The mixture of the loanees and dual reg in the pack is certainly paying dividends. They are pushing the bar upwards.
To me this year is going to see the changing of the guard as we go along. there are a few key areas where it's blindingly clear where we can improve.
1. Speed of Play of the ball from Ben K ( but not lack of effort or enthusiasm)
2. Lack of pace and fitness (but not ability) Muzza
3. Creative attacking ability left edge Centre . Tyrer does little wrong but not enough in attack to worry the opposition.

Fix those and I really think we have the makings of a very strong team . A gradual progression as mentors because they are currently the binding to the team. But the team now has to evolve to improve if we want to beat top 4 teams because as Torronto showed , the bar has been raised.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1998
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 30 200717 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 00:3610th Apr 24 23:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto positives : Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm  
A decent assessment, but don't underestimate what effect Muzza has on the team just by being alongside the other 12 players. Tbh, he might lack speed now, but he's as fit as anyone else in our team.

We need a bit of "sparkle", and I hope RM give JWH a good run-out at half-back as he has the makings of a really good player in that position.

We need speed at dummy half, and although I like BK, he needs training to learn how to ping the ball out without having to set his feet and then take it back before passing.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4642
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 05 201112 years103rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 12:1519th Apr 24 17:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Hear All, See All, Say Nowt.
Eat All, Sup All, Pay Nowt.
And if Tha ever does Owt for Nowt,
Allus do it for Thissen.

Re: Toronto positives : Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:18 pm  
HXSparky wrote:
A decent assessment, but don't underestimate what effect Muzza has on the team just by being alongside the other 12 players. Tbh, he might lack speed now, but he's as fit as anyone else in our team.

We need a bit of "sparkle", and I hope RM give JWH a good run-out at half-back as he has the makings of a really good player in that position.

We need speed at dummy half, and although I like BK, he needs training to learn how to ping the ball out without having to set his feet and then take it back before passing.

Blimey....if you think Scott is on a par fitness wise with the rest of our lads we've no chance! Today was his 150th Fax appearance and on his display and fitness it should be his last. Great player for Fax but true.
faxcar 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4260
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 201013 years79th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 09:0925th Jan 24 22:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto positives : Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:28 pm  
jensenFF wrote:
Firstly a very committed performance. Well done to all players.
The mixture of the loanees and dual reg in the pack is certainly paying dividends. They are pushing the bar upwards.
To me this year is going to see the changing of the guard as we go along. there are a few key areas where it's blindingly clear where we can improve.
1. Speed of Play of the ball from Ben K ( but not lack of effort or enthusiasm)
2. Lack of pace and fitness (but not ability) Muzza
3. Creative attacking ability left edge Centre . Tyrer does little wrong but not enough in attack to worry the opposition.

Fix those and I really think we have the makings of a very strong team . A gradual progression as mentors because they are currently the binding to the team. But the team now has to evolve to improve if we want to beat top 4 teams because as Torronto showed , the bar has been raised.

Yes good shouts on points 1, 2 and 3.
First of all I thouht both sides gave a good account of themselves and went at it toe to toe for long periods and it was a good game to watch.

The score didn't reflect the game overall but it did reflect the different threat levels posed by the two sides.

T W 's scored a few tries on the edge through faster play the balls and passing across the line to create the overlap.
Fax just just missed out scoring a few tries on the edge through slower play the balls and passing across the line.
T W's had a couple of line breaks and scored off one of them through faster players and faster support.
Fax had one line break and failed to score through slower players and slower support.

We defend pretty well but we don't threaten enough and it leaves me wondering where the threat will come from.

We haven't got the players to go full length.
We haven't got the players to pull off the brilliant X factor play.
We don't build enough pressure when in the opposistion 20.

We must find a way to cause sides problems when we are on attack, if we can't score enough points against the better sides we aren't going to be one of the better sides simple as that.

Close but not close enough.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1998
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 30 200717 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 00:3610th Apr 24 23:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto positives : Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 pm  
Hudd-Shay wrote:
Blimey....if you think Scott is on a par fitness wise with the rest of our lads we've no chance! Today was his 150th Fax appearance and on his display and fitness it should be his last. Great player for Fax but true.

I'm not entirely sure how my opinions would directly affect the team and their chances of winning games, but Scott does a full 80 every game and is still going strong at the end. He's lost some speed, and he certainly doesn't have any "twinkle toes" but with the team we have at the moment, we'd be lost without him. That said, some of his kicking game today wasn't the best.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3533
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 24 201014 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Nov 23 07:519th Jul 23 16:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto positives : Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:56 am  
HXSparky wrote:
I'm not entirely sure how my opinions would directly affect the team and their chances of winning games, but Scott does a full 80 every game and is still going strong at the end. He's lost some speed, and he certainly doesn't have any "twinkle toes" but with the team we have at the moment, we'd be lost without him. That said, some of his kicking game today wasn't the best.

So taking the above in to account, should we be moving out of the halves to 13?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain811
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 20159 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 11:4218th Apr 24 07:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto positives : Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 am  
Not sure what game some of you are watching but changes are needed at number 6 and number 9 and centre and these need to happen fast. Watched the York bulls game earlie and a certain mr robbinson was ripping it up for York why did we let him go.

Scott may try and raise the team but his kicking in the last 3 games as been shocking his speed is shocking and he is massively over weight.

Ben kaye trys but posses no threat where moore is now the better hooker by a mile

And tyrer needs to speed up again poor so far this season offers nothing poor passing game no threat when he was tackled behind the sticks for the drop out in the second half he had all the time in the world to get out.

Imho the 3 need swapping for the next game. Either move muzza to the pack or drop him and bring some one in or play brook.

Let moore try for a full game

let heaton play for tyrer
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20 20176 years206th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Sep 23 17:1926th Aug 23 22:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto positives : Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 am  
Norman Bates wrote:
So taking the above in to account, should we be moving out of the halves to 13?
No brainer in my opinion.Struggling to create so the more ball handlers we have in 13 the better.Having signed Brook he needs to be given a chance.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3336No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 18 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 19 07:146th Aug 19 17:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Dane Neerriinnnxxxx - Man of steel 2009

Re: Toronto positives : Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am  
I like Muzza, you can tell he's passionate and he's got a great rugby brain but I do feel he's in the Rooney-esque category at the moment. At what point do the plusses not outweight the minuses. Thing is as you get older you need to look after yourself more and Muzza's gone the other way. He's never been a lean player or sprightly but the shape he is in this season which is obvious to everyone must be having an affect on his performances. We sacrifice a running mobile halfback to compensate for Muzza but at what point do you say enoughs enough, there's no room for sentiment in this game and no one player is bigger then the club.

I pay hard earned money to watch a team of players be the best they can be, I don't expect one of our most important players to be out of shape at the start of the season. It's not a jolly boys outing team it's a professional sports team. You should look after yourself to be the best you can be. Even more so frustrating when it's a player with talent like Muzza. Yes I know he's never going to be a runner or mobile type of halfback but at least give yourself a fighting chance. Yes I also know he lasts 80 minutes but that doesn't mean anything with the way he plays to be honest.

Torontos halfbacks were all over the place, fast passing and accurate passing. One fan shouted it was like watching Paul Harkin yesterday. We even did the worlds slowest run around, back in the 80's moves.

We get stuck in with defence but our attack is predictable and slow and we lack guile, speed and mobility with our half backs. JWH I'm yet to be convinced he's a halfback, he needs a run at it but he was very quiet yesterday and seemed in 2 minds what to do when he got the ball. He's obviously got great feet but when combined with Muzza I don't think he has the time to learn as we need an halfback now. If Muzza had gotten in great shape I'd have said yes 1 more season but at this moment in time I feel maybe it's a season too far. If we rely on him like people say we do and without him we are rudderless then it's a poor sign of the other players ability. You can't knock his enthusiasm and dedication, he's great for team spirit I imagine but if at the cost of having to build a game plan around him is that wise.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20 20176 years206th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Sep 23 17:1926th Aug 23 22:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto positives : Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am