JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years282nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Jan 23 15:1321st Jun 22 13:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls

Re: Future of Odsal : Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 am  
I think the game will survive "forever", however long"forever" is.

Whether it be as a professional game, particularly full time professional, is maybe open to doubt though. Professional RL needs, and deserves, far more media attention than it gets but now the media seem to be spending far more time, and column inches, on women's sport, in particular women's football. Now, I'm not going to say that isn't right but where is that TV time, and those column inches coming from? Well, It won't be from any reduction in the coverage of men's football, now that is a fact.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2039
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 19 200618 years246th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 13:4618th Mar 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Don't think i'm biased...
...i'm just very narrow minded!!!!!!!

Re: Future of Odsal : Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:33 pm  
Bulliac wrote:
I think the game will survive "forever", however long"forever" is.

Whether it be as a professional game, particularly full time professional, is maybe open to doubt though. Professional RL needs, and deserves, far more media attention than it gets but now the media seem to be spending far more time, and column inches, on women's sport, in particular women's football. Now, I'm not going to say that isn't right but where is that TV time, and those column inches coming from? Well, It won't be from any reduction in the coverage of men's football, now that is a fact.

It seems we are going a bit off topic but whilst we are, I feel there are a lot of parallels between RL and Darts, which for me suggests that there is a huge potential awaiting to be unlocked. However, in the current hands of the RFL board and SL Clubs it will not happen.

The optimist in me hopes that at some point the rights to the sport are bought by a Matchroom type, and the running of the game taken out of clubs hands. This would ultimately result in the closure of many historic clubs but the game would live on.

How many times have we said the sport can't survive without clubs like Bradford. I'd challenge that and say it can and it should. Thinking ANY club is bigger than the sport will result in failure, yet it very much seems that this kind of thinking is very much going to happen with the changes being voted on this week.

As much as I'd love Bulls to go up, if this vote passes and is detrimental to the whole future of the sport then you have to ask yourself... what is the f**king point?

The sport is dying a slow and painful death at the moment so its almost irrelevant what happens to Odsal.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1149
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 09 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Nov 19 18:1010th Nov 19 18:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Future of Odsal : Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:06 pm  
I think if you look at the game from a Bulls/M62 prospect the above dire projections might be right.

But if you look at the NRL - top 8 separated by 2 points, the advances made by the Island nations - eg Tonga, and in the sunny south of France - then the wider future is perhaps brighter. Might just have to accept that the Bulls may never regain the top tier
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1205
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 06 20168 years236th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:3525th Mar 24 11:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Future of Odsal : Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:56 am  
Northernrelic wrote:
I think if you look at the game from a Bulls/M62 prospect the above dire projections might be right.

But if you look at the NRL - top 8 separated by 2 points, the advances made by the Island nations - eg Tonga, and in the sunny south of France - then the wider future is perhaps brighter. Might just have to accept that the Bulls may never regain the top tier

I think I am fine with being a strong CH club.

Currently what I am not fine with is this protectionism from the SL clubs and their fans, some of whom almost went bust (Warrington - a week from liquidation) and some of whom were not even in the original SL (eg Hull, Hull KR, Huddersfield (two of which had terminal financial meltdowns)).

Our game was founded on anti-elitism but to me these SL clubs are saying 'We're ok now, sod you!'. So yes, if we never make it back that's cool. But EVERY team should be at risk of never making it back.

I can understand their thinking, only 4 teams have won the SL and one is in L1 and they are scared silly given the games shrinking but tht is the way it has to be.

Conversely, with a new stadium on the horizon and some real momentum building York should not be stymied, if it mean losing a Hull or a Hudds then that's good for the game.

Whilst we have Odsal we'll be stuck, and again I am fine with that because I love the place :)
Nothus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5872No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 04 200519 years223rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 10:167th Mar 24 16:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Future of Odsal : Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:15 am  
Scarey71 wrote:

Currently what I am not fine with is this protectionism from the SL clubs and their fans, some of whom almost went bust (Warrington - a week from liquidation) and some of whom were not even in the original SL (eg Hull, Hull KR, Huddersfield (two of which had terminal financial meltdowns)).

Our game was founded on anti-elitism but to me these SL clubs are saying 'We're ok now, sod you!'. So yes, if we never make it back that's cool. But EVERY team should be at risk of never making it back.

I can understand their thinking, only 4 teams have won the SL and one is in L1 and they are scared silly given the games shrinking but tht is the way it has to be.

Conversely, with a new stadium on the horizon and some real momentum building York should not be stymied, if it mean losing a Hull or a Hudds then that's good for the game.

Whilst we have Odsal we'll be stuck, and again I am fine with that because I love the place :)

Super League shouldn't have to 'lose' anyone for a strong team to be allowed in. Franchising/Licensing continually gets shot down as a disaster, largely because of us (which had nothing to do with the system at the time) but I still think it was the best way to improve the top division and encourage growth in the lower leagues without this crazy incentive to go for broke and overspend.

You earn your shot in the top division by satisfying certain criteria, you get a few years of guaranteed top flight rugby to prove your worth, and the whole league and sport benefits as a result. Catalans and - until recently - Widnes are current examples of just how well that system can work when implemented properly.

I fear for the game when 2021 rolls around, I really do. Broadcasting contracts will be renegotiated and there's every chance SL will shut up shop and the leagues below will be left to fend for themselves.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years282nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Jan 23 15:1321st Jun 22 13:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls

Re: Future of Odsal : Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:44 am  
Scarey71 wrote:

I'm in two minds about Odsal. Yes, I've been going for years and don't really care about its defects in so far as my own attendance is concerned, in fact it has some important advantages. For instance, Odsal has good deep terraces which allow you to see over people in front to all four corners (I'm very average height, btw), and with that all the touchlines and dead ball lines, from just about anywhere in the ground. Unlike say, Headingley, Belle View, Craven Park, Weldon Road or just about any ground in the Championship or Champ1 where, too often, in-goal play or anything too near some touchlines might as well not be happening.

Its biggest defect, as far as the club is concerned, is the cost of upkeep - even to simply keep it as it is, let alone basic additions like putting a cover over the long terrace, which many (including me) think would be a major requirement in gaining more support, seems way out of reach as things stand. I'm happy as it is but wouldn't be over bothered if we had to move to something more modern.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31543
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years73rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:1527th Mar 24 15:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: Future of Odsal : Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 pm  
I used to love Odsal but she's had her day. We need a nice new ground. Nothing big and flash. Something like Leigh, Donny or Warrington.

Of course that's never going to happen...
RankPostsTeam
International Star1167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20 201112 years172nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 12:1328th Mar 24 06:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Future of Odsal : Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:41 am  
Bullseye wrote:
I used to love Odsal but she's had her day.

At Odsal in 1954 I had one of my most cherished memories in over 70 years of watching rugby league.

A Challenge Cup Final replay watched by over 102,000, a world record RL attendance, until exceeded in 1999 at the newly built Sydney Olympic Stadium with a crowd of 108,000 for the NRL Premiership Final. I was there too.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Feb 20 11:2324th Oct 19 15:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total

Re: Future of Odsal : Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:09 am  
Freddie Miller. wrote:
At Odsal in 1954 I had one of my most cherished memories in over 70 years of watching rugby league.

A Challenge Cup Final replay watched by over 102,000, a world record RL attendance, until exceeded in 1999 at the newly built Sydney Olympic Stadium with a crowd of 108,000 for the NRL Premiership Final. I was there too.

But there were waaaaay more at Odsal ;)
belcki 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain40No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 24 20176 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Jan 20 13:2615th Jan 20 16:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Future of Odsal : Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:30 pm  
We all seem to have rather gone off topic and rather than looking at the future of Odsal we appear to be looking back at its history which is fine but is not really the topic of the thread.

We accept what Ferocious Aardvark says in that the term "watch this space" regarding the Head Lease really says nothing. But in any case keep watching fellow Bulls fans and rugby league fans.
PreviousNext