FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Who will replace Widnes: Toronto, Toulouse or London?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Sep 19 21:4014th Sep 19 21:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

wrencat1873 wrote:
It's a rugby league competition not an attendance league.

Also, IF London or Toulouse gain promotion, how many fans do you expect them to have or, doesn't it matter if theyre from outside Yorkshire / "Lancashire" etc.

1. Away fans and the amount that a club bring to games is an irrelevance!
2. Home fans and the number a club can attract is not and irrelevance but if a club shows signs of year on year growth of a supporter base and a benefactor is helping them, then fine.
3. Clubs that take £1.8 million from the kitty with the aim of seeing success as finishing mid table whilst their fans drift away and some of which who play out of unsuitable and unsafe grounds should have their funding cut or be cut aside for the benefit of the game.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8675
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 200519 years186th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th May 24 16:059th May 24 16:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"

[quote="Call Me God"]1. Away fans and the amount that a club bring to games is an irrelevance!

You can't beat 'atmosphere/banter' at a game, sadly when certain clubs visit any ground, this will NEVER happen. I'm old school though....though you would have never guessed so.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17895
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 07:1118th May 24 09:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Call Me God wrote:
2. Home fans and the number a club can attract is not and irrelevance but if a club shows signs of year on year growth of a supporter base and a benefactor is helping them, then fine.
3. Clubs that take £1.8 million from the kitty with the aim of seeing success as finishing mid table whilst their fans drift away and some of which who play out of unsuitable and unsafe grounds should have their funding cut or be cut aside for the benefit of the game.

So, o wise one, please tell everyone where the aspirations of Toulouse or London would be, should either or both gain promotion to SL.
Also, if your post is yet another jibe at Trinity, currently in 6th spot and who do have their funding cut (due to the state of Belle Vue), how much more do you think their funding should be cut :CRAZY:

Your analogy regarding clubs that, in your words "seeing success as finishing mid table" are just utter piffle.
If the premier league was to apply the same criteria, there would only be 6 or 7 clubs instead of the current 20 clubs and SL would need to be cut to 5, plus of course the mighty Toronto, assuming that they actually gain promotion.

What do you propose with Hull FC and Leeds, both big spending yet, currently under performing clubs or, do you wish to eliminate Huddersfield and Wakefield to ensure they can both finish in the top half of the table or, are you desperate for London to return, with their nomadic existence and 2 bus loads of fans. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

wrencat1873 wrote:
So, o wise one, please tell everyone where the aspirations of Toulouse or London would be, should either or both gain promotion to SL.

Can't speak for Toulouse, but without a new owner, London are fine just where they are thanks.

wrencat1873 wrote:
Also, if your post is yet another jibe at Trinity, currently in 6th spot and who do have their funding cut (due to the state of Belle Vue), how much more do you think their funding should be cut :CRAZY:

Whatever the level, it should be directly linked to finishing position, number of locals in the side and the state of the stadium (sic) with backdated deductions for every year since the initial lie told to gain a licence.

wrencat1873 wrote:
Your analogy regarding clubs that, in your words "seeing success as finishing mid table" are just utter piffle.
If the premier league was to apply the same criteria, there would only be 6 or 7 clubs instead of the current 20 clubs and SL would need to be cut to 5, plus of course the mighty Toronto, assuming that they actually gain promotion.

Opinions are like decent grounds....most people have got one :wink:

wrencat1873 wrote:
What do you propose with Hull FC and Leeds, both big spending yet, currently under performing clubs

Nothing. Both will bounce back and both have attendances, incomes and public appeal that other clubs can only dream of.....

wrencat1873 wrote:
or, do you wish to eliminate Huddersfield and Wakefield to ensure they can both finish in the top half of the table or, are you desperate for London to return, with their nomadic existence and 2 bus loads of fans. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't wish to eliminate anyone, I believe each club should have individual targets to be set by the SL board and met or receive reduced funding and I certainly do not believe that we ever took 2 coaches anywhere other than St Helens in 20003 and Bradford in 2005, both for the play offs or Wales in 2008 (IIRC) when I organised them......but I like the fan jibe coming from a fan of a club with fewer than London used to be berated for...such Irony from such a small village with a big church :SUBMISSION:
RankPostsTeam
International Star49No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 12 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Sep 19 12:3126th Jun 19 09:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

MattyB wrote:
That’s just shocking from Widnes.

That’s what we’ve put up with for the last 2 and half seasons. Cant believe we let Betts go without having a proper plan in place instead of that ‘Professional Rugby League’ coach Cummins who is so far out of his depth it’s embarrassing it’s not his fault your not going to say no when only 1 of 12 top jobs become available. Most if not all Vikings fans including myself was calling for Betts to leave but I know now given a few extra players we’ve got in for these qualifiers he would of got us out this situation no problem. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Maybe relegation will do is good, clear the decks, players and boardroom and start again. If only it was that easy!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17895
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Call Me God wrote:
Can't speak for Toulouse, but without a new owner, London are fine just where they are thanks.

Whatever the level, it should be directly linked to finishing position, number of locals in the side and the state of the stadium (sic) with backdated deductions for every year since the initial lie told to gain a licence.

Opinions are like decent grounds....most people have got one :wink:

Nothing. Both will bounce back and both have attendances, incomes and public appeal that other clubs can only dream of.....

I don't wish to eliminate anyone, I believe each club should have individual targets to be set by the SL board and met or receive reduced funding and I certainly do not believe that we ever took 2 coaches anywhere other than St Helens in 20003 and Bradford in 2005, both for the play offs or Wales in 2008 (IIRC) when I organised them......but I like the fan jibe coming from a fan of a club with fewer than London used to be berated for...such Irony from such a small village with a big church :SUBMISSION:

If we're cherry picking attendances, there were 28,000 at Belle Vue in the 60's, irrelevant, bloody and totally spring to mind.

I do love how you change your own criteria for funding, just to suit your anti Wakefield agenda.

Regarding the many "broken promises" regarding the ground and your wish to penalise Wakefield, suerly, you should give our neighbours and friends at Castleford a mention or, doesn't that fit your agenda and for god's sake dont mention mergers.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator8082
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 02 200222 years94th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 11:1419th May 24 18:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
//www.twitter.com/pumpetypump

Vikingsufferer wrote:
Maybe relegation will do is good, clear the decks, players and boardroom and start again. If only it was that easy!

Yes as a Bradford fan I've spent each year of descent naively hoping for the same thing. I hope it's true for Widnes.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

wrencat1873 wrote:
Regarding the many "broken promises" regarding the ground and your wish to penalise Wakefield, suerly, you should give our neighbours and friends at Castleford a mention or, doesn't that fit your agenda and for god's sake dont mention mergers.

Groundsharing isn't a merger.......building 2 stadiums that close to each other is insanity and let's face it, at least a groundshare stadium would be full once a fortnight when Castleford were at home 8)
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17895
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Call Me God wrote:
Groundsharing isn't a merger.......building 2 stadiums that close to each other is insanity and let's face it, at least a groundshare stadium would be full once a fortnight when Castleford were at home 8)

A goundshare would be a decent solution.
However, the deal would have to be "equal" for both clubs and equi-distance (or as near as damn it) between Castleford and Wakefield, if not, one of the two clubs would suffer immeasurably and eventually either have to move out or die.

Ironically, the ground (proposed) at Newmarket is pretty close to all these things and is/was to be a true community stadium but, our local authority have sat back and allowed other developments on adjacent land, directly against the criteria laid out by the Secretary of State at the public enquiry.
Next time you are in England, take a look at the HUGE Newcold warehouse, you can hardly miss it.
Some say that the new community stadium is in side and just need to be unveiled.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years162nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 09:4212th Jul 23 05:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Mac out!

Call Me God wrote:

You can't beat 'atmosphere/banter' at a game, sadly when certain clubs visit any ground, this will NEVER happen. I'm old school though....though you would have never guessed so.

Sadly thats all Leigh offer a few vocal fans hence why you keep banging that drum. In most modern sports its a secondary issue.
PreviousNext