FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Humiliating triple defeat of Super League teams by NRL teams
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9043
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 200618 years67th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:0023rd Mar 24 20:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell

kobashi wrote:
McDermott was right with this quote

"I'd like to say that, given 10 games like that, by game eight or nine or game 10, I reckon we'd be up to that level," he told the post-match press conference.

"So we'll learn some massive lessons from that. But unfortunately it will be another couple of games before we're in a game as intense as that and in one played at that level."

He may be right, indeed he knows better than I do.
However, there's nothing to prevent him sending Leeds out with instructions to try to perform at a higher level than they generally do. As a fan, I've obviously long-admired our intensity and focus when the business end of he season roll around. What I've seen less of - a lot less of - is that kind of ruthlessness during the regular season. As I see it, it's up to the likes of ourselves, Hull, Wigan etc to raise that bar at home. As Melbourne have just shown, it can be done regardless of what the opposition bring to the party. The alternative is to carry on playing the aussies once a year then bleating about their comp being more intense when we lose.
MattyB 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20303
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 06 200321 years103rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 12:1028th Mar 24 12:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013 & 2022

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020 & 2023

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Fax Missionary wrote:
I was at the game last night and was surprised by how little Wigan offered in attack against a Souths team without most of their superstars. Wigan’s defence was pretty good, but outside of that they were a shadow of Wigan teams of old.

What I noticed of all three games at the weekend was that English teams still suffer from the old curse of not being able to maintain intensity for the full 80 mins. They always go to sleep mentally for 10-15 mins a game and that’s where Aussie teams steamroller over them. As someone who watches NRL games week in week out, until SL teams sort the mental issues out they will never compete at the same level.

Can't really take much from that 'friendly' game. Just to put it into perspective, Wigan had 26 players on the pitch over the 80 mins, Souths had 20 players.

Defence went okay but I think Wigan had one eye on Friday's game against Warrington, especially in that 2nd half.

EDIT - http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... ch-defence

“The main priority of coming here (as a team) was to get two points and we did that by beating Hull. When that was finished we move on to this game but we’ve got a big game against Warrington on Friday to try and get two points and we were keen to look after our starting team for that so we put a lot of kids out in that second half. It was a fantastic experience for them but we’re still disappointed we didn’t get the win.”

Also regards your last comment:

Fax Missionary wrote:
As someone who watches NRL games week in week out, until SL teams sort the mental issues out they will never compete at the same level.

It isnt just the 'mental issues' as you claim, I think the $9.4 million against £1.9 million salary caps has a little something to do with it as well.
Fax Missionary wrote:
I was at the game last night and was surprised by how little Wigan offered in attack against a Souths team without most of their superstars. Wigan’s defence was pretty good, but outside of that they were a shadow of Wigan teams of old.

What I noticed of all three games at the weekend was that English teams still suffer from the old curse of not being able to maintain intensity for the full 80 mins. They always go to sleep mentally for 10-15 mins a game and that’s where Aussie teams steamroller over them. As someone who watches NRL games week in week out, until SL teams sort the mental issues out they will never compete at the same level.

Can't really take much from that 'friendly' game. Just to put it into perspective, Wigan had 26 players on the pitch over the 80 mins, Souths had 20 players.

Defence went okay but I think Wigan had one eye on Friday's game against Warrington, especially in that 2nd half.

“The main priority of coming here (as a team) was to get two points and we did that by beating Hull. When that was finished we move on to this game but we’ve got a big game against Warrington on Friday to try and get two points and we were keen to look after our starting team for that so we put a lot of kids out in that second half. It was a fantastic experience for them but we’re still disappointed we didn’t get the win.”

Fax Missionary wrote:
As someone who watches NRL games week in week out, until SL teams sort the mental issues out they will never compete at the same level.

It isnt just the 'mental issues' as you claim, I think the $9.4 million against £1.9 million salary caps has a little something to do with it as well.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2150
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 02 200914 years297th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 12:5828th Mar 24 12:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I watched the Hull game and half of the Wigan game and tbh it looked like the NRL teams were treating it as a friendly and it was a chance to see some of their fringe players play. I wouldn't read too much into the SL sides performances. The only positives out of it for an SL supporter was that the commentary was 100 times better than what we hear week in week out.
reffy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5204No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 200915 years233rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 12:0117th Mar 24 19:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

TheUnassumingBadger wrote:
I agree with this, I think it breeds from the lack of intensity in most Super League matches due to errors and penalties. Also, the time taken at every scrum and goal line drop out. It was very noticeable in the Warrington game the other night that it took 3-4 minutes for them to take the drop outs.

Until we see 3 or 4 high intensity matches per week in the Super League, we aren't going to see Super League teams competing with the NRL teams when they are taking it seriously.

Stop the clock for injuries and disciplinary only. There are far too many rests in the game.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2666
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Oct 21 18:592nd Aug 19 13:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

LifeLongHKRFan wrote:
I watched the Hull game and half of the Wigan game and tbh it looked like the NRL teams were treating it as a friendly and it was a chance to see some of their fringe players play. I wouldn't read too much into the SL sides performances. The only positives out of it for an SL supporter was that the commentary was 100 times better than what we hear week in week out.

Same could be said for Hull and Wigan. Neither played their strongest team for the full 80 minutes.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach664No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 17 200618 years292nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 23:1624th Mar 24 16:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Dress it up whichever way you like, the Aussies are still light years in front. Aussie rugby is robotic, even the commentators picked up on the way the english club teams were throwing the ball around. Rugby is the national sport in Australia, we just cant compete with that. :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11536
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 200519 years140th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:4423rd Mar 24 16:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

LifeLongHKRFan wrote:

If you watched it then you would have heard before the game that st George were fielding their strongest available starting line up

Both teams then introduced youngsters as they game went on
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Fax Missionary wrote:

Couldn't agree more, time and again I've said on our board that too often we lack mental preparation, depth of fortitude or the ability not to act like headless chickens and go into panic mode. It's this that has by far the biggest effect on results IMHO, blow out scores are often indicative of one side going pop mentally than just an injury crisis or lack of quality.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3356
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 21 200321 years268th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Jul 23 00:593rd Jun 23 23:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The fans, the members, the people there.. from the day I stepped foot onto that field at the AJ Bell Stadium,I knew I would love that club for the rest of my life. "Jackson Hastings"..

Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything.

Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986)

The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

"I am not young enough to know everything"
Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900)

One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph.

virginia woolf (1882-1941)

redmuzza wrote:
Rugby is the national sport in Australia, we just cant compete with that. :wink:

Really who told you that ? it's only played in two states with a manufactured franchise in Victoria.

Australian football is the most popular sport in Australia, followed by cricket, association football and rugby league. :READING:
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

MattyB wrote:

It isnt just the 'mental issues' as you claim, I think the $9.4 million against £1.9 million salary caps has a little something to do with it as well

Not all but a big chunk, the SC is just like house prices, it's all relative to where you are. It's not as if they have an international player pool to choose from. There are very small differences in talent, early and all stages of coaching to pro level and mental preparation/in game mental ability to cope and deliver are the biggest differences by far.
MattyB wrote:

It isnt just the 'mental issues' as you claim, I think the $9.4 million against £1.9 million salary caps has a little something to do with it as well

Not all but a big chunk, the SC is just like house prices, it's all relative to where you are. It's not as if they have an international player pool to choose from. There are very small differences in talent, early and all stages of coaching to pro level and mental preparation/in game mental ability to cope and deliver are the biggest differences by far.
PreviousNext