FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Humiliating triple defeat of Super League teams by NRL teams
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 01 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Nov 19 18:4517th Nov 19 18:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
Now is a dark moment for English rugby league. The three English Super League contenders in contests with Australian NRL teams lost in their matches Down Under. Their was not a glimmer of inspiration from the SL players other than Hull FC's Australian talisman Albert Kelly, who kept Hull FC in the closest game, but losing against St. George-Illawarra 24-18. A full strength Wigan was defeated decisively by a below strength South Sydney 18-8 and Leeds was comprehensively trounced by Melbourne Storm 38-4.

This proves that Super League as now constituted is below the standard of the NRL. Most of the world class English talent is playing in the NRL. The only way to change this situation is to find more player talent pools for Super League. That task cannot be realised in England, where the talent pools are exhausted. It requires new talent pools from France and north America to make Super League more competitive. That is one of many reasons why SL expansion into France and north America is now urgent and imperative.

The player pools are not exhausted though. The two largest conurbations in the North West have no SL presence neither in teams and very very little in terms of players (Kallum Watkins is from Gorton in Manchester - I don’t know of another Mancunian in the league. Are there any Scousers?)

Rugby Union is getting into schools all over Manchester and Liverpool. Rugby League is not! League is still relying on the local amateur clubs in the same old rugby league towns to provide players but the player pool from them is getting smaller by the year.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Mar 23 10:2529th Jan 20 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!

Psychedelic Casual wrote:
The player pools are not exhausted though. The two largest conurbations in the North West have no SL presence neither in teams and very very little in terms of players (Kallum Watkins is from Gorton in Manchester - I don’t know of another Mancunian in the league. Are there any Scousers?)

Rugby Union is getting into schools all over Manchester and Liverpool. Rugby League is not! League is still relying on the local amateur clubs in the same old rugby league towns to provide players but the player pool from them is getting smaller by the year.

Why isn't rugby league getting into the schools in Manchester and Liverpool?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 01 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Nov 19 18:4517th Nov 19 18:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

I don’t have an answer to that. Other than maybe - finances. Or maybe they are living so far in the past and not in the real world that they can’t see that those same amateur clubs in those same RL towns are not enough to keep the player pool going anymore.

The RFU have spent millions and put this: http://www.englandrugby.com/about-the-r ... l-schools# into action and it’s got real legs. Wythenshawe (South Manchester, population 100000) have now got a RU amateur club off the back of it with all four local high schools providing players. Previous to this Wythenshawe had no RU links at all. RL has done nothing like this in high schools in South Manchester and a mate of mine works in a school in Liverpool and said RL aren’t in schools in his area neither.

Manchester Rangers does have links to MMU but you’d imagine by that age they would already be RL players from RL areas. Plus they are a seventh division club (despite having money for five/six divisions higher if needed).
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

I don’t have an answer to that. Other than maybe - finances. Or maybe they are living so far in the past and not in the real world that they can’t see that those same amateur clubs in those same RL towns are not enough to keep the player pool going anymore.

The RFU have spent millions and put this: http://www.englandrugby.com/about-the-r ... l-schools# into action and it’s got real legs. Wythenshawe (South Manchester, population 100000) have now got a RU amateur club off the back of it with all four local high schools providing players. Previous to this Wythenshawe had no RU links at all. RL has done nothing like this in high schools in South Manchester and a mate of mine works in a school in Liverpool and said RL aren’t in schools in his area neither.

Manchester Rangers does have links to MMU but you’d imagine by that age they would already be RL players from RL areas. Plus they are a seventh division club (despite having money for five/six divisions higher if needed).
Buggo 
RankPostsTeam
International Star718No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 19 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Nov 18 09:2916th Aug 18 12:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

redmuzza wrote:
Dress it up whichever way you like, the Aussies are still light years in front. Aussie rugby is robotic, even the commentators picked up on the way the english club teams were throwing the ball around. Rugby is the national sport in Australia, we just cant compete with that. :wink:

Cricket is Australia's national Sport.
The English teams were throwing the ball about (often dropping it) because they couldn't break down the defense any other way.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Sep 19 21:4014th Sep 19 21:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

Salford red all over wrote:
Really who told you that ? it's only played in two states with a manufactured franchise in Victoria.

Poor old Canberra..... :roll:

Australian football is the most popular sport in Australia, followed by cricket, association football and rugby league. :READING:

Cricket is the national sport of Australia. AFL is the most supported winter sport, followed by the NRL. Football is 3rd and currently has a lower average attendance than the Perth Wildcats Basketball team.....

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

Money and the way that our game is managed by the clubs who are only interested in their own survival, rather than having any long term strategies in place.
22 years ago we were the only professional Rugby with a new Million Pound TV deal and an exciting product.........now we're the "other rugby" with a cheap TV deal, a questionably boring product (see thread on these boards) and our crowds are dwindling and all the SL chairmen can do is think of ways to line their own pockets (see Hull v Wigan) or postulate about how they are going to challenge other sports (see Pearsons claims about Union).....
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Psychedelic Casual wrote:

RU had 50 PE teachers from across UAE doing training sessions in the classroom and on the field in January, they also have over 50 training sessions for L1-L3 in Dubai in 2018 planned or taken place already at various age groups.
We are so far behind it's depressing.
Last edited by knockersbumpMKII on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1959
JoinedServiceReputation
May 23 201113 years191st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 16:5624th Apr 24 16:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Irony is represented below.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
He is not telling the truth. He is talking paranoid rubbish.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

Manchester United
Manchester City
Liverpool
Everton

This is why, Manchester andMerseyside are predomintly football supported areas, little interest in rugby league.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3356
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 21 200321 years277th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Jul 23 00:593rd Jun 23 23:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The fans, the members, the people there.. from the day I stepped foot onto that field at the AJ Bell Stadium,I knew I would love that club for the rest of my life. "Jackson Hastings"..

Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything.

Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986)

The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

"I am not young enough to know everything"
Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900)

One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph.

virginia woolf (1882-1941)

Call Me God wrote:
Poor old Canberra..... :roll: .

I did say states, sorry I should have included ACT Canberra :roll:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Sep 19 21:4014th Sep 19 21:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

I did say states, sorry I should have included ACT Canberra :roll:

Rugby League is a big sport in Australia commanding great TV viewing figures.

The problem is that our sport lends itself more to TV viewers than attending because there are only a few occasions where the 'atmosphere' at a game gets above "luke warm"......AFL on the other hand is watched by immense crowds of rabid Victards who cheer, chant, proffer racist opinions and generally behave like inbred bogans.

The Newest AFL team, Western Sydney average 13,200...this is almost the same or greater than Cronulla, St George, Souths, Wests, Penrith and Manly whilst the Swans average 33,400.....which is more than the best supported team in the NRL and more than double than the best supported side in Sydney.
By Contrast, the Melbourne Storm don't attract as many fans as the worst supported AFL outfit in Victardia.....

...AFL is an abomination of a sport where the 2 main skills, Catching and Kicking straight are performed with almost comical ineptitude, but yet people will roll up to watch it in massive numbers....more people attended 11 Richmond AFL home games last year than did Newcastle, Cronulla, New Zealand and South Sydney over 48 games......The sport is a turd, but christ on a bike they are expert TURD POLISHERS :D
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 08 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Dec 19 13:0211th Dec 19 22:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I don't like AFL but there's no point belittling it. The only thing I find bizarre is how inaccurate they are generally with kicking over any distance, particularly from an uncontested mark.
PreviousNext