FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE?
RankPostsTeam
International Star1962
JoinedServiceReputation
May 23 201113 years194th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Apr 24 16:2227th Apr 24 16:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Irony is represented below.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
He is not telling the truth. He is talking paranoid rubbish.

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 pm  
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
What a load of rubbish the 2 x 10 is. It is a deceptive way of reconstituting the Super League and the Championship, with not enough places in the top level for all the much needed expansion teams that are rising up.

We need a 14 team Super League, that includes Catalans, Toronto Toulouse and London, with the option of expanding to 16 if New York and another north American or French team become viable enterprises.

Beneath that you can have a successful Championship with the likes of Leigh, Salford, Widnes, Wakefield, Featherstone, Halifax, Sheffield.

The ideal Super League from 2021 on needs 14 or 16 clubs, to consist of only strongly supported clubs and strategically vital clubs:

Wigan,
St. Helens
Warrington
Leeds,
Bradford,
Hull FC,
Hull KR,
Huddersfield,
Castleford,
London

Catalans
Toulouse

Toronto
New York

Montreal
Boston

If either the French or north American teams are successful on and of the field, then we should consider adding Avignon and Paris in the French case, and two out of Chicago, Philadelphia and Jacksonville in the north American case. That would then constitute a truly international Super League that would overwhelm the NRL in its significance.

Based on Catalans performace the last 2 seasons, they wouldnt and shouldnt be included in the list
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5480No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 21 06:598th Oct 18 13:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these
boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. "

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 pm  
luke ShipleyRed wrote:
I still have reservations about the whole American thing.
If it works great.
But we seem to be thinking that a country that already has 4 mainstream sports (and that's just at professional level, not to mention the high school, college leagues), where other sports like RU have been trying to get a foothold for years. To be our saviour, and through all this money into the sport. Like I said great if it works, but it's going to take along time.
And I can't help but think, that by then they'll have there own league set up, and won't be needing us.

I'm fairly sceptical about the North American venture. I see why it's easy to be cautious about its prospects.

However, I think we need to view this in context: our game, as it is, is dying on its feet in this country. Participation numbers have crashed. Crowds are stagnant at best. Our paymasters at SKY are apparently looking to reduce the funding. We're struggling to find any sponsors, let alone blue-chip ones. And the showcase of the game - the super league - has seen a huge contraction, losing our only club in the capital, and one of our few genuinely 'big' clubs at Bradford. Along the way, we've also lost Paris, Gateshead, Wales and Sheffield. The single example of our sport growing, rather than shrinking, at the top level, is Catalans, and they were 80 minutes from being relegated last year in favour of a second club in Wigan. If that had happened, Rugby League's top flight would have been smaller geographically than at any time since we went fully professional in 1996.

There will be people who deny this, and I guess if you're a few streets away from Saints, Wigan, Leeds or Hull you might argue that you don't see what the problem is. But outside of those few spots (it's not even an M62 corridor any more - just a few areas along it), the only reason people haven't noticed the game is shrinking is that they don't notice it exists in the first place.

The North American ventures, the sacking of Big Nigel, the scrabbling around for new structures, and even the grumpy Hetherington attack on RL journalists, are all stemming from the same place: we're in deep trouble, and people are desperately looking for something - anything - which might save us.

There is a big tension here between different goals: clubs like Salford, Widnes, Wakefield etc are themselves struggling, and so their priority is to save their own advantages and position within the game, which means fighting to preserve their share of TV money, to retain P&R to save their position at the bottom of the league, and to place obstacles in the way of other clubs which might replace them. The clubs like Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Wire and Hull are not themselves in deep trouble yet, but recognise that if the game goes down, they go down with it, and so are much more focused on what can be done to attract more TV money, more sponsorship and more attention to the game as a whole. They are much more open to the idea of expanding the game to a North American market which, while risky, at least offers new income streams, and new potential, where there is none left in the so-called heartlands.

To me, the situation is a choice between a risky expansionist "Hail Mary" venture which may not work, or continuing to do what we've always done, which will inevitably continue the decline we are now clearly in. On the grounds that a small chance of success is still better than the certainty of failure, sign me up for Toronto, New York, London, Bradford and Toulouse.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1090No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20 201212 years255th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 22:1615th Apr 24 19:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:37 pm  
Roy Haggerty wrote:
I'm fairly sceptical about the North American venture. I see why it's easy to be cautious about its prospects.

However, I think we need to view this in context: our game, as it is, is dying on its feet in this country. Participation numbers have crashed. Crowds are stagnant at best. Our paymasters at SKY are apparently looking to reduce the funding. We're struggling to find any sponsors, let alone blue-chip ones. And the showcase of the game - the super league - has seen a huge contraction, losing our only club in the capital, and one of our few genuinely 'big' clubs at Bradford. Along the way, we've also lost Paris, Gateshead, Wales and Sheffield. The single example of our sport growing, rather than shrinking, at the top level, is Catalans, and they were 80 minutes from being relegated last year in favour of a second club in Wigan. If that had happened, Rugby League's top flight would have been smaller geographically than at any time since we went fully professional in 1996.

There will be people who deny this, and I guess if you're a few streets away from Saints, Wigan, Leeds or Hull you might argue that you don't see what the problem is. But outside of those few spots (it's not even an M62 corridor any more - just a few areas along it), the only reason people haven't noticed the game is shrinking is that they don't notice it exists in the first place.

The North American ventures, the sacking of Big Nigel, the scrabbling around for new structures, and even the grumpy Hetherington attack on RL journalists, are all stemming from the same place: we're in deep trouble, and people are desperately looking for something - anything - which might save us.

There is a big tension here between different goals: clubs like Salford, Widnes, Wakefield etc are themselves struggling, and so their priority is to save their own advantages and position within the game, which means fighting to preserve their share of TV money, to retain P&R to save their position at the bottom of the league, and to place obstacles in the way of other clubs which might replace them. The clubs like Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Wire and Hull are not themselves in deep trouble yet, but recognise that if the game goes down, they go down with it, and so are much more focused on what can be done to attract more TV money, more sponsorship and more attention to the game as a whole. They are much more open to the idea of expanding the game to a North American market which, while risky, at least offers new income streams, and new potential, where there is none left in the so-called heartlands.

To me, the situation is a choice between a risky expansionist "Hail Mary" venture which may not work, or continuing to do what we've always done, which will inevitably continue the decline we are now clearly in. On the grounds that a small chance of success is still better than the certainty of failure, sign me up for Toronto, New York, London, Bradford and Toulouse.

How are Wakefield struggling? I'm confused. As a fan, if you are continuing t live in the past then yes we can always be deemed as perennial strugglers. But, it isn't the past. It is now. And the club is doing better than it has at any other time in Super League.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17889
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 13:4611th May 24 13:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm  
Roy Haggerty wrote:

Good post but, why the f*** did we drop "franchising" and reduce SL, when the model was already in place to allow new clubs to come in.
We just make the sport look amateur (which in terms of "organisation", I believe it is).
I dot think there is one remedy to cure the ill's of the game and we shouldn't be looking for yet another quick fix.
Three years ago "every minute" mattered, apparently and now, the visionary's within the sport are "embarrassed" that we cant manipulate the system to fast track Toronto and Toulouse.

IF this is the primary aim of any new structure, why not take the very simple option of expanding SL by 2 clubs, exempt them both from relegation for 2 or 3 seasons and have done with it. There may be issues along the way, especially with promotion and relegation but, this simple change would allow the game to see whether Toronto and Toulouse are viable options, without risking the possibility of terminal damage to the game.

This seems like a win/win, with the exception of the few that say, "all new clubs should start in League 1" , because Toronto in League 1 was a bloody farce and yet again, made RL look amateur.

We ought to take up the mantra odf "do it once but, do it right"
RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 29 201410 years263rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Dec 22 07:4723rd Nov 22 08:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:11 pm  
2 leagues of 10 is a terrible idea.
Super League needs to get bigger not smaller.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Oct 20 11:2121st Oct 20 10:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 pm  
It's just not clear what two leagues of ten would actually deliver here.

'Super League 2' is bascially a rebranding job for the Championship - and a bad one at that. It doesn't make the Championship 'Super League', and it cheapens what is currently Super League. And as the talent and invariably the money would gravitate towards the top league, I don't see what an 'SL2' offers to anyone.

The original post mentioned a "14 team Super League with strict off-field eligibility criteria", which smells of a move towards franchising. Personally, I think franchising is the better model for the game given its current state (the old version was badly implemented and wasn't based on sound criteria), but I have reservations about the 14 team league. One of the things we should be moving towards on the field is greater intensity and making games more competitive, and I don't see how adding two additional teams from the Championship serves that purpose.

The biggest questions that aren't being answered behind any proposal that is reportedly on the table is "why?". What is the end goal in any of this? What is the end goal? What are the commercial objectives? What are the playing objectives? What do the key stakeholders (clubs, SLE, broadcasters) need to bring to the party? What does success look like?

I completely agree with Roy Haggerty in that we have more to lose by doing nothing than we do by taking a risk in North America, but those questions need to be addressed before any sort of structure is put in place. As it stands, throwing in two extra clubs from the Championship isn't going to achieve anything unless they can keep up with the pace set by the people with the vision to take the sport forward.

We're eerily close to the sort of scenario that the BDO found itself in in the early 90s and people can dismiss this as a power/cash grab by the big clubs as much as they like, but it's going to be the smaller clubs that get hurt the most if that sort of scenario actually plays out. It's no accident that we've had three clubs spending a combined five weeks in Australia this month, and it's no accident that all three took sizeable commercial and business development teams with them.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 16 201311 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Jun 23 08:5718th Jun 23 08:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:58 pm  
If there is to be Stadia criteria then surely Cas will be alright but Wakey might be in trouble & where do Toronto stand given that they have to play half the season away before half at home ?

If there is to be attendance criteria then you would expect Salford, Widnes & possibly Huddersfield to be in trouble ?

I make that 4 current SL Clubs + the expansionists wet dream who might not qualify if those criteria are rigorously imposed.

Salford might yet go 'Pop' even before any restructure if reports are to be believed.

Anyway, strikes me as a rebranding of SL & Championship with a cut in Club numbers, the haves will have more & the have nots will ultimately have less.

Where this leaves CH1 Clubs is anyones guess, but my guess would be for a good few to go to the wall.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner11032No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Jul 20 18:298th Mar 19 23:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:02 pm  
bramleyrhino wrote:
It's just not clear what two leagues of ten would actually deliver here.

'Super League 2' is bascially a rebranding job for the Championship - and a bad one at that. It doesn't make the Championship 'Super League', and it cheapens what is currently Super League. And as the talent and invariably the money would gravitate towards the top league, I don't see what an 'SL2' offers to anyone.

The original post mentioned a "14 team Super League with strict off-field eligibility criteria", which smells of a move towards franchising. Personally, I think franchising is the better model for the game given its current state (the old version was badly implemented and wasn't based on sound criteria), but I have reservations about the 14 team league. One of the things we should be moving towards on the field is greater intensity and making games more competitive, and I don't see how adding two additional teams from the Championship serves that purpose.

The biggest questions that aren't being answered behind any proposal that is reportedly on the table is "why?". What is the end goal in any of this? What is the end goal? What are the commercial objectives? What are the playing objectives? What do the key stakeholders (clubs, SLE, broadcasters) need to bring to the party? What does success look like?

I completely agree with Roy Haggerty in that we have more to lose by doing nothing than we do by taking a risk in North America, but those questions need to be addressed before any sort of structure is put in place. As it stands, throwing in two extra clubs from the Championship isn't going to achieve anything unless they can keep up with the pace set by the people with the vision to take the sport forward.

We're eerily close to the sort of scenario that the BDO found itself in in the early 90s and people can dismiss this as a power/cash grab by the big clubs as much as they like, but it's going to be the smaller clubs that get hurt the most if that sort of scenario actually plays out. It's no accident that we've had three clubs spending a combined five weeks in Australia this month, and it's no accident that all three took sizeable commercial and business development teams with them.

Nothing to lose..... apart from clubs who produce a pathway for countless past and present gb/England internationals in a time when we don’t even have a reserve grade. Nice one :thumb:
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17889
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 13:4611th May 24 13:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:27 pm  
Cas Till I Die wrote:
Nothing to lose..... apart from clubs who produce a pathway for countless past and present gb/England internationals in a time when we don’t even have a reserve grade. Nice one :thumb:

Nah, all the good youngsters come from Wigan and Leeds, I know its usually from junior clubs outside their direct area but, why should anyone be bothered about that.
Greed is good, honest. :oops:
dboy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4149
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200519 years110th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 23:2410th May 24 22:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 TEAM SUPERLEAGUE? : Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:34 pm  
Huddersfield? Bradford?

Forget them in a 10 team league.

Hudds have zero potential and Bradford will NEVER return to be the force they once were.

However, Hudds (and Wakey and Cas), keep doing it where it matters - on the field.

You can dump Widnes any time you like though.
PreviousNext