Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Twelve Ways To Make Rugby League Great Again

Post subject: Twelve Ways To Make Rugby League Great Again
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

A great well written article discusses to urgent need for the game to make some serious adaptations and tweeks in order to prosper.

https://tidesofhistory.wordpress.com/2018/08/09/seize-the-day-twelve-ways-to-make-rugby-league-great-again/

Quote: The new chairman of the RFL, Ralph Rimmer, claims “the game is in a good place”. But that reeks of complacency.

Quote:Move the Challenge Cup to winter and run it as a pre-season tournament before the Super League begins. Running from January to March – when fixtures are sparse – it would be a reversion to the traditional winter game and could be marketed as a heritage competition.

Post subject: Re: Twelve Ways To Make Rugby League Great Again
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:43 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

The first comment on the blog by Jean, one minute before this thread was started.

Did you log in to the wrong account? ;)

Quote:I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Quote:Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:49 am 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

From that article:

Since 1998 only four teams – Wigan, St Helens, Bradford and Leeds – have won the Super League.

A truly damning statistic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:13 am 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The interest in the challenge cup would be even worse if you moved it to a winter competition.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

4 clubs have dominated both finals for 20 years. Warrington have now replaced Bradford but the status quo looks set to continue. Catalan and Hull are threatening to break into the big 4 but too often lack consistency.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

kobashi wrote:The interest in the challenge cup would be even worse if you moved it to a winter competition.

Agreed, but I do think the final should be earlier in the year, June or July for me, no need for it to be on a bank holiday weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network

kobashi wrote:The interest in the challenge cup would be even worse if you moved it to a winter competition.

Completely agree, especially in the early rounds.

The game is a fast paced, physically demanding game. Our players get a relatively short close season as it is to recover/have surgery etc, especially those in the internationals. The CC in the close season would only serve to shorten that much needed recovery time.

:DAISY: Black 'n' White's Best Female 2006 & Runner Up 2007 & 2008 :DAISY:
"We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club", A Pearson 23/09/2011

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

[quote="Sir Kevin Sinfield"]Agreed, but I do think the final should be earlier in the year, June or July for me, no need for it to be on a bank holiday weekend.[/quote]

Totally agree I think having the final in the middle of the super / middle 8s is ridiculous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I'd have the CC Final on May bank holiday and still start at the same time. Just play the fixtures fortnightly then three weeks until the final to allow fans a little more planning/build anticipation. I think playing them more regularly would keep continuity and focus on the cup, and having the final far enough away from the Grand Final would stop it being overshadowed, and reduce the likelihood of fans saving money for one or the other.

Something like:

Round 1 (amateurs) - 27/01/18
Round 2 - 10/02/18
Round 3 (League 1 teams introduced) - 24/02/18
Round 4 (Championship teams introduced) - 10/03/18
Round 5 (bottom 4 SL teams introduced) - 24/03/18
Round 6 (top 8 SL teams introduced) - 07/04/18
Quarter Finals - 21/04/18
Semi Finals - 05/05/18
Final - 26/05/18

I get what people are saying about having the first game of the season be a CC game to generate interest, but I can't see that working under the current format. You would end up struggling to get the earlier rounds to go ahead if the weather is bad (starting in late January and leaving a fortnight between fixtures is already a challenge given that some of the amateur teams pitches aren't great).

Frank Zappa wrote:Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network

Grimmy wrote:I'd have the CC Final on May bank holiday and still start at the same time. Just play the fixtures fortnightly then three weeks until the final to allow fans a little more planning/build anticipation. I think playing them more regularly would keep continuity and focus on the cup, and having the final far enough away from the Grand Final would stop it being overshadowed, and reduce the likelihood of fans saving money for one or the other.

Something like:

Round 1 (amateurs) - 27/01/18
Round 2 - 10/02/18
Round 3 (League 1 teams introduced) - 24/02/18
Round 4 (Championship teams introduced) - 10/03/18
Round 5 (bottom 4 SL teams introduced) - 24/03/18
Round 6 (top 8 SL teams introduced) - 07/04/18
Quarter Finals - 21/04/18
Semi Finals - 05/05/18
Final - 26/05/18

I get what people are saying about having the first game of the season be a CC game to generate interest, but I can't see that working under the current format. You would end up struggling to get the earlier rounds to go ahead if the weather is bad (starting in late January and leaving a fortnight between fixtures is already a challenge given that some of the amateur teams pitches aren't great).

That weekend is the football play off weekend so Wembley isn't available.

:DAISY: Black 'n' White's Best Female 2006 & Runner Up 2007 & 2008 :DAISY:
"We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club", A Pearson 23/09/2011

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com