FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Northern England's Fear of Expansion!
Joff 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain250No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 13 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Sep 18 01:4713th Sep 18 01:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 am  
Couldn't agree more.

Take the risk or play it safe. The latter will keep rugby league stuck though going nowhere. The original breakaway was a risk and worked
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am  
Oh an original thread topic, how refreshing.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 29 201410 years245th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Dec 22 07:4723rd Nov 22 08:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 am  
Catalan Dragons, Brisbane Broncos, Canberra Raiders, Melbourne Storm, North Queensland Cowboys, New Zealand Warriors and PNG Hunters are all successful expansion clubs. The only way the game is going to grow is to expand into new regions, the alternative is a shrinking regional sport.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6765No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 29 200716 years220th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 24 14:338th Jan 24 08:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you.
Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 am  
Biggest problem is that the RFL are so inept at promoting the game and expanding the sport within the UK they are just losing the plot trying to build a game off shores.

We have had London, South Wales, Tyneside and the Midlands to add something to Superleague but the RFL have failed, I remember quite a few years ago Mike Nicholas had some dutch backers to promote the game in a big way but Nigel Wood didn't allow it because there a risk of the RFL losing full control, instead Nigel lost control anyway, was so inept, the welsh club signed up a load of overseas players on holiday visas.

Then we had the situation of Warrington and Saints on behalf of the RFL promoting the game in the schools in the Glasgow area and then the clubs asked why are we promoting the sport in Glasgow when the big game final is going to be in Edinburgh.

Expand the game in the UK first, not on another continent.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Oct 20 11:2121st Oct 20 10:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:17 am  
Judder Man wrote:
Biggest problem is that the RFL are so inept at promoting the game and expanding the sport within the UK they are just losing the plot trying to build a game off shores.

Why are the clubs always forgiven in this argument? The clubs are the ones that are responsible for promoting themselves, for expanding their own audiences, engaging new supporters, enhancing their appeal to corporate audiences and selling tickets and merchandise.

We have clubs arguing that the Super 8s makes it "impossible" to sell events, even though some clubs had 16 days+ between the S8 fixtures being announced and their first home game. We have clubs devaluing the sport by making entire fixtures free of charge, and we have clubs that simply nobody wants to go and watch. And we have clubs 'raffling' their stadium and sports sponsorship as if it's a meat hamper at a working mens club. None of that is the fault of the RFL.

The more we keep using the RFL as a lightning rod for these problems, the worse this problem will get.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain979
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 26 20176 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Aug 22 07:1513th Aug 22 07:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:18 am  
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
Catalan Dragons, Brisbane Broncos, Canberra Raiders, Melbourne Storm, North Queensland Cowboys, New Zealand Warriors and PNG Hunters are all successful expansion clubs. The only way the game is going to grow is to expand into new regions, the alternative is a shrinking regional sport.

I agree with you we should try all places within a few hours flying ie Spain Germany Belgium even but I still think Toronto is to far to go
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years123rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:2225th Mar 24 07:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:26 am  
ThePrinter wrote:
Oh an original thread topic, how refreshing.

Indeed.

I have removed the OP as it was clearly designed to annoy and provoke. The thread title should give sufficient flavour to make sense of what has followed, I hope.

Expansion is a legitimate topic for debate, and people are entitled to different opinions that they can discuss sensibly and respectfully.

What I don’t think we need is for every tiny facet to have its own thread, used as an excuse to put ‘new’ bait on the line.

On topic, I don’t understand why so many seem to see this as a zero-sum game. We could have strong heartlands clubs and growth in other parts of the country or world. They’re not mutually exclusive at all - indeed each makes the other more likely imo.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years123rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:2225th Mar 24 07:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 am  
bramleyrhino wrote:
Why are the clubs always forgiven in this argument? The clubs are the ones that are responsible for promoting themselves, for expanding their own audiences, engaging new supporters, enhancing their appeal to corporate audiences and selling tickets and merchandise.

We have clubs arguing that the Super 8s makes it "impossible" to sell events, even though some clubs had 16 days+ between the S8 fixtures being announced and their first home game. We have clubs devaluing the sport by making entire fixtures free of charge, and we have clubs that simply nobody wants to go and watch. And we have clubs 'raffling' their stadium and sports sponsorship as if it's a meat hamper at a working mens club. None of that is the fault of the RFL.

The more we keep using the RFL as a lightning rod for these problems, the worse this problem will get.

Biting the hand that feeds if you’re critical of your benefactor, and fans have an affection for their clubs that they lack for the RFL.

I don’t think the RFL has done a great job in recent years, but i do think they’re given a lot more responsibility than authority, and they do make a good lightening rod. Criticism of them not forcing clubs to have reserve teams being a good recent example.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6765No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 29 200716 years220th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 24 14:338th Jan 24 08:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you.
Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:38 am  
bramleyrhino wrote:

The current clubs can only promote the game at local level the primary function is to promote the playing product, for me the RFL should be doing much more at national level with a much broader marketing strategy. If they can do that and clubs outside the heartlands develop quicker than the traditional clubs then these weaker clubs will go back to amateur status.

As we have said many times before how can clubs promote the game at a higher level with big sponsors like Apple, O2, Guiness, Land Rover etc when the RFL governing body is profiling our sport to a Mushy Peas and Bet Fred standard, shouldn't that be the other way around. I should imagine when Superleague splits from the RFL this kind of situation would be the first corrective.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Sep 19 21:4014th Sep 19 21:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

Re: Northern England's Fear of Expansion! : Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:46 am  
1. I am a southerner, who is 100% in favour of expansion.
2. I don't trust the motives or the arguments for Toronto Wolfpack at all.
3. I believe that if we are to promote the game to new audiences, we should do so in a structured and planned manner, not at the whim of a rich bloke who can vanish as quickly as he arrived.....and I include Hughes, Davy and a hst of other benefactors in this, not just Argyle.
4. I am absolutely in favour of culling some of the deadwood clubs from SL in favour of "super" clubs such as Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, London, Southern France etc....the British sporting public have no interest in Wakefield v Leigh....2 town that most couldn't find on a map and that's our biggest problem.....the Wakefields and the Leighs holding the game back.
5. The Clubs have a responsibility to market themselves and the game. Failure to attract 9,000 as a minimum should result in the clubs central funding being halved. Then you'll see some innovative concepts and marketing ploys....instead of just sitting there waiting for the 1.8 million cheque to clear each year. Even Ken Davy would think long and hard about having to find another million a year to prop his toy up...
Next