OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 10:2528th Mar 24 01:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Top six 2005 - Trinity.

Re: England Squad v NZ : Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:44 pm  
Excited to see Tom Johnstone in the England set up. Having a Good centre with the ability to put him in space would be a huge bonus.

As for Reece, I was suprised at his inclusion but I totally wish him the best. You can’t help but like a player like him. He came to wakey as a thin raw winger and in his first season or two got a bit of stick. But he’s clearly a determined young man and year on year he made small improvements to the point he is now. He’s a solid centre, bulked out into a strong player who can make the hard yards and can find the tryline too. As has been said he’s not world class but he is an honest pro who has clearly worked very hard to become what he is, a good standard centre.

I think he’s more in him too. If he keeps up his steady progress he and improvements he could become one of the top centres in the comp in a few years.

Ultimately though, he deserves it. He’s the definition of a player who’s not gifted naturally but works extremely hard to make up for it.
Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Dec 20 18:2622nd Jun 20 21:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Squad v NZ : Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:54 pm  
rollin thunder wrote:
predictable squad almost identical to last years. both Burgess twins particularly Tom are average players, getting picked on the size competition they play in and reputation of older Brother. Both can not catch, drop the ball much too often, give too many penalties away.

Last year I would have agreed; the Burgii were absolutely terrible in terms of errors. This year, however, they've been superb. If anything Sam is the weakest of the 3, still prone to errors and pushing unrealistic offloads.

chapylad wrote:
Is Liam Watts no longer deemed suitable?
From the games I`ve seen him play he has done pretty well and should be included in the squad at least.

Has all the skills and assets to be an international, but unfortunately he's a penalty machine with a tendency to brain-farts. We simply cannot afford players like that against Aus/NZ.

I like that squad - but let's do everything we can to avoid playing ANYONE out of position.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 29 201410 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Dec 22 07:4723rd Nov 22 08:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Squad v NZ : Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:09 am  
The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Wow, things must be bad when two Wakefield players are getting a gig!

They wouldn’t be there if Ryan Hall and Kallum Watkins weren’t injured.
RankPostsTeam
International Star928No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 16 201410 years299th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Jun 22 15:3329th Jun 22 15:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Squad v NZ : Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:15 am  
chapylad wrote:
Is Liam Watts no longer deemed suitable?
From the games I`ve seen him play he has done pretty well and should be included in the squad at least.

Injured
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35915
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:0426th Mar 24 20:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: England Squad v NZ : Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:26 am  
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
They wouldn’t be there if Ryan Hall and Kallum Watkins weren’t injured.

Wrong as ever.

Lyne probably wouldn’t but Johnstone certainly would. He might be second choice to Hall but he’d be in the squad.

You may not understand RL but Bennett does. He is not stupid enough or blinkered enough to ignore the fastest and highest scoring winger in the comp. One who has an uncanny ability to create his own tries from nothing which makes him both a game breaker and a match winner.

He may be a bit overwhelmed to start with as most players are but with a bit of luck his quality will shine.

Any decent England fan would rejoice in this but not you - I wonder why?
RankPostsTeam
International Star712No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 03 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Sep 19 14:512nd Dec 18 17:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Friday 28th March, 2014, a day that will live in infamy...

Saddened! wrote:
Whatever happens they have all been magnificent. Even Wello.

Saddened! wrote:
Lance Hohaia can have my babies after that show

#theworldturnedupsidedown

Re: England Squad v NZ : Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:25 am  
vastman wrote:
Wrong as ever.

Lyne probably wouldn’t but Johnstone certainly would. He might be second choice to Hall but he’d be in the squad.

You may not understand RL but Bennett does. He is not stupid enough or blinkered enough to ignore the fastest and highest scoring winger in the comp. One who has an uncanny ability to create his own tries from nothing which makes him both a game breaker and a match winner.

He may be a bit overwhelmed to start with as most players are but with a bit of luck his quality will shine.

Any decent England fan would rejoice in this but not you - I wonder why?

Agreed - was surprised to see Lyne included (personally would have picked Gildart who I think is a great young player, but will no doubt go with Knights on tour to PNG and develop there which wont do him any harm) and being short of centres, I'd rather see somebody like Lyne who plays there every week have a chance than move people out of position.

As for Johnstone, him and Makinson have been the form wingers all season imo and would like to see both of them included. Johnstone has been a pleasure to watch and seems very confident for a young kid, scores tries for fun (which is what a winger is there for mainly) and has pace to burn. Surely nobody can deny he is there on merit and deserves his place.

I think its good to see some new faces included and given a chance in the squad. I just hope players like Milner, Johnstone, Makinson, Thompson, Connor, Greenwood, Lyne & Percival (who was outcast in World Cup last year) all get some decent game time and an opportunity to showcase their talents and aren't just there to make up the numbers, get minutes against France and not feature much other than that.
Last edited by wakey_saint on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35915
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:0426th Mar 24 20:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: England Squad v NZ : Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:53 am  
wakey_saint wrote:
Agreed - was surprised to see Lyne included (personally would have picked Gildart who I think is a great young player, but will no doubt go with Knights on tour to PNG and develop there which wont do him any harm) and being short of centres, I'd rather see somebody like Lyne who plays there every week have a chance than move people out of position.

As for Johnstone, him and Makinson have been the form wingers all season imo and would like to see both of them included. Johnstone has been a pleasure to watch and seems very confident for a young kid, scores tries for fun (which is what a winger is there for mainly) and has pace to burn. Surely nobody can deny he is there on merit and deserves his place.

I think its good to see some new faces included and given a chance in the squad. I just hope players like Milner, Johnstone, Makinson, Thompson, Connor, Greenwood & Percival (who was outcast in World Cup last year) all get some decent game time and an opportunity to showcase their talents and aren't just there to make up the numbers, get minutes against France and not feature much other than that.

Yes Lyne is a surprise selection and probably won't play but I do see the logic of the selection. Lyne is big, strong and versatile and can play either side and either wing if needed. He's not a classic centre but few British centres are but he does make hard yards and can get the ball over the line and he can defend with the best of them.

Either way he has worked hard to get where he is now which should help him if he is needed.
RankPostsTeam
International Star712No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 03 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Sep 19 14:512nd Dec 18 17:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Friday 28th March, 2014, a day that will live in infamy...

Saddened! wrote:
Whatever happens they have all been magnificent. Even Wello.

Saddened! wrote:
Lance Hohaia can have my babies after that show

#theworldturnedupsidedown

Re: England Squad v NZ : Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:12 pm  
vastman wrote:
Yes Lyne is a surprise selection and probably won't play but I do see the logic of the selection. Lyne is big, strong and versatile and can play either side and either wing if needed. He's not a classic centre but few British centres are but he does make hard yards and can get the ball over the line and he can defend with the best of them.

Either way he has worked hard to get where he is now which should help him if he is needed.

I agree - and as I said above, I would like to see him (and the other new faces) given a chance to play vs New Zealand and showcase what he can do rather than get 20 mins game time against France and nothing else. Some "top class" players have failed at international level, whereas some "lesser" SL players have stepped up and really impressed for England in the past. We are short on centres anyway, the lad has played well this year so why not give him a chance.

Don't really have much to lose this year so would rather see players picked in their club positions and tried out on the international stage to start building us towards next World Cup
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12025No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 08 200618 years155th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 20:5025th Mar 24 10:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Squad v NZ : Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:27 pm  
Trojan Horse wrote:
Excited to see Tom Johnstone in the England set up. Having a Good centre with the ability to put him in space would be a huge bonus.

As for Reece, I was suprised at his inclusion but I totally wish him the best. You can’t help but like a player like him. He came to wakey as a thin raw winger and in his first season or two got a bit of stick. But he’s clearly a determined young man and year on year he made small improvements to the point he is now. He’s a solid centre, bulked out into a strong player who can make the hard yards and can find the tryline too. As has been said he’s not world class but he is an honest pro who has clearly worked very hard to become what he is, a good standard centre.

I think he’s more in him too. If he keeps up his steady progress he and improvements he could become one of the top centres in the comp in a few years.

Ultimately though, he deserves it. He’s the definition of a player who’s not gifted naturally but works extremely hard to make up for it.

I dont know what Bennetts plans are but I think Connor and Johnstone would make a cracking partnership if he chooses to go down that route. We know what a good finisher Johnstone is and Connor is a wingers centre. He is very good at sucking in defenders and slipping the ball out. I'm not sure Percival and Johnstone would work so well. Percival is better when he is finishing the chances himself. Not trying to make them for others, so I think it would be a waste putting Johnstone outside of him.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 01 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Nov 19 18:4517th Nov 19 18:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Squad v NZ : Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 pm  
rollin thunder wrote:
predictable squad almost identical to last years. both Burgess twins particularly Tom are average players, getting picked on the size competition they play in and reputation of older Brother. Both can not catch, drop the ball much too often, give too many penalties away.

The Burgesses have had their best season since they won the title in 2014. They look like different players to twelve months ago.
PreviousNext