JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Jun 24 06:5328th May 24 05:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can.
“Up The Comics !”

Re: Fev 16 Leigh 30 : Mon May 30, 2022 9:30 pm  
Jack Gaskell wrote:
Totally agreed VL. I have just said a lot of the same things on the Ben Reynolds thread.

The only exception for me is your view of Ford. I simply do not rate the player. I am more then happy that Fev have signed him. For a big man he shirks the physicality required in a game. His defense is poor which is surprising given his size.

In attack he generally just ships the ball out, and sometimes he appears to do it to avoid being hit and tackled with the ball. The other thing as well, is that he did not cut it in Australia and has spent most of his career playing in France at sub-championship level where perhaps defensive weaknesses such as his are not so ruthlessly exploited. I simply do not think that he has the game to kill us in the games that count.

Ford is not the answer to Fev's prayers. I was quite happy to see them sign him. My view is that, if his signing is the height of their ambition, then we are going to finish above them this season. I don't think that he actually adds to what they already had in that position. Bad signing on their part.

Agreed 100% on Ford.
He will improve them a little in the organizational areas on the field, but I would not take him over Ben or Joe, (or our various options for cover in the squad for that matter as they are all very capable and flexible). I was and still am, very happy we did not sign him. He will improve them in my opinion but we have so much improvement to come, that his factor is limited.
I also agree with what you say on the Ben thread about the Fev side looking older and less energetic. I noted that Ferres and Lockwood were really struggling with the pace and power of our pack after a few minutes in.
Anything could still happen between now and then but I am quietly confident right now.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3980
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Jun 24 06:5328th May 24 05:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can.
“Up The Comics !”

Re: Fev 16 Leigh 30 : Mon May 30, 2022 9:35 pm  
satanicmills wrote:
Do you think we would have beat Huddersfield ?.The winning difference was the pace the pies have which will always keep them in a game and proved decisive in the end

The main game had some terrible kicking and poor attacking play. wingers seem happy to fling the ball inside or kick it instead of going for the corner

I think we have the future potential to beat Huddersfield but on Saturday, I don’t think we would. We didn’t play our best rugby at times, and Hudds would have made a couple of our mistakes/pens count. They would also have not have run out of steam like Fev did.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach975No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 30 200518 years309th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Dec 23 16:0316th Sep 23 10:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fev 16 Leigh 30 : Tue May 31, 2022 8:00 am  
Bent&Bongser wrote:
From the below article, Mac seems more concerned than Lam:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/fe ... -14-teams/

It's hard to disagree with both coaches here. What good will making the Elite competition smaller do? We have to realise that the player pool is dying because of the top clubs and it needs to be fixed. Why shouldn't Leigh and Featherstone go up when they have money to spend to improve the competition? Blocking Leigh from having an academy is an example- which sport blocks the 11th best English club from having an academy? The sport over here is shooting itself in the foot and I think going to two 10s will be shooting itself in the foot again.

Derek and Mark are both ploughing money into their clubs and entertaining players are joining their clubs. How is this bad for the game over here and for Super League? I'll tell you why, because the top clubs look after themselves, it's been this way for years.
Bent&Bongser wrote:
From the below article, Mac seems more concerned than Lam:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/fe ... -14-teams/

It's hard to disagree with both coaches here. What good will making the Elite competition smaller do? We have to realise that the player pool is dying because of the top clubs and it needs to be fixed. Why shouldn't Leigh and Featherstone go up when they have money to spend to improve the competition? Blocking Leigh from having an academy is an example- which sport blocks the 11th best English club from having an academy? The sport over here is shooting itself in the foot and I think going to two 10s will be shooting itself in the foot again.

Derek and Mark are both ploughing money into their clubs and entertaining players are joining their clubs. How is this bad for the game over here and for Super League? I'll tell you why, because the top clubs look after themselves, it's been this way for years.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain302
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 26 20186 years298th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 17:0816th May 24 13:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fev 16 Leigh 30 : Tue May 31, 2022 10:47 am  
Vancouver Leyther wrote:
I think we have the future potential to beat Huddersfield but on Saturday, I don’t think we would. We didn’t play our best rugby at times, and Hudds would have made a couple of our mistakes/pens count. They would also have not have run out of steam like Fev did.

May be so.I think the pace of the game in the first half was good we moved up real quick and bashed em which is one reason they ran out of steam late on. we did make a couple of mistakes when hall scored and wildie knocked on.I think we would have pressurised hudds and who knows
We still need some competition at half back which would improve us. lets hope everyone stays fit and we can rotate the team to maintain a peak
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player546
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 13 20204 years245th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Jun 24 21:2030th May 24 18:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Fev 16 Leigh 30 : Tue May 31, 2022 11:24 am  
What a stadium, what a great cup competition for the second tier of British Rugby League.

Having now watched the match on iPlayer, I am able to make a more informed opinion on the game. 5 tries to 2 suggest a dominant Leigh performance, but I saw enough from Featherstone to suggest that they will cause problems in the games to come.

In the first half Leigh got pinged for dissent (our Captain), Off-side by the player stood next to the ref, and a horrible bit of play acting from Featherstone trying to play the ball on a prone player. 3 acts of stupidity and 6 points converted. In the 2nd half Inu got in the act with a strange entanglement and act of petulance, further compounded by dissent. In cold light of day, Lammy will not be impressed.

Featherstone lost their discipline in the 2nd half getting pinged 6 times in first 10 minutes, this resulted in a period of dominance for Leigh.

Both team got lucky with tries awarded off forward passes and the ref in my opinion got most other things right. The exception is always going to be controversial ball steals. At around 67 minutes Chamberlain running the ball out on the Leigh line, was picked up and dropped in a baby crusher tackle, whilst the other defender had his hand on the bottom of the ball. It is no surprise that the ball came out, it is the laws of physics in play. This was deemed a loose carry. 2 minutes later on the Featherstone line Leigh get called for a ball steal in a similar situation. It is a horrible rule and is based entirely on interpretation.
The other thing about the ref was the amount of head shots that Featherstone committed, and only in the 75th minute did he decide to place on report a head shot/crusher tackle (not sure which the ref called).

Regarding the game, Leigh was big in defence and made plenty yards up the middle, Asiata however was sucked in as an extra prop instead of his usual play maker role. Reynolds kicked well and Mellor buzzed without being effective. Aekins was solid in defence but less effective in attack than usual.

Ipape as pointed out by everyone was monumental, with big tackles and darting runs. His try was pure class and he deserved the MoM award by a country mile.

The celebrations after the game will live long in the memory. Delighted for Deggsy, Lammy and Chessy. Delighted for all the players including those that did not make the match day squad. Delighted for the travelling contingent, we might have been out numbered but we made a huge noise. Delighted for all Leigh fans watching at home.

If you have not been to LSV all season, then get yourself down and swell those numbers. This team deserves our support.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player227
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 07 20213 years266th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Jun 24 12:2121st May 24 16:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
@michaelward@genserver.social on Mastodon

Re: Fev 16 Leigh 30 : Tue May 31, 2022 1:46 pm  
Septimius Severus wrote:
What a stadium, what a great cup competition for the second tier of British Rugby League.

Having now watched the match on iPlayer, I am able to make a more informed opinion on the game. 5 tries to 2 suggest a dominant Leigh performance, but I saw enough from Featherstone to suggest that they will cause problems in the games to come.

They're a good side.

In the first half Leigh got pinged for dissent (our Captain), Off-side by the player stood next to the ref, and a horrible bit of play acting from Featherstone trying to play the ball on a prone player. 3 acts of stupidity and 6 points converted. In the 2nd half Inu got in the act with a strange entanglement and act of petulance, further compounded by dissent. In cold light of day, Lammy will not be impressed.

Discipline not great, but finals can cause this. Hope the lads learn from the experience and handle it more calmly next time.

Featherstone lost their discipline in the 2nd half getting pinged 6 times in first 10 minutes, this resulted in a period of dominance for Leigh.

I felt this was a result of tiredness - we worked Fev very hard in the first half and they were tiring. They never handled our physicality going forward.

The celebrations after the game will live long in the memory. Delighted for Deggsy, Lammy and Chessy. Delighted for all the players including those that did not make the match day squad. Delighted for the travelling contingent, we might have been out numbered but we made a huge noise. Delighted for all Leigh fans watching at home.

If you have not been to LSV all season, then get yourself down and swell those numbers. This team deserves our support.

Would enjoy nothing more than to be at LSV watching these lads, but finances do not agree...
Previous