FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Castleford Tigers 6 - 26 Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Full Time.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Weekly Prediction League?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3939
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years192nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:1423rd Mar 24 14:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can.
“Up The Comics !”

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:13 pm  
Half Time Featherstone 14 - 10 Leigh
Full Time Featherstone 22 - 26 Leigh

First Leigh Scorer - I ONeill
First Featherston Scorer - M Taulapapa
Half Time Leaders - Fev
Last Leigh Scorer - M D Jones
Last Featherstone Scorer - Ridyard

Grand Final

Wigan 12 - 16 Warrington
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3326
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 25 20159 years116th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 20:5826th Mar 24 00:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:43 pm  
Penultimate round up! Apologies for it taking a week to post but Bongser has been both licking his Leythe wounds and being cowed by an overwhelming CBA syndrome. He has, however, now snapped out of it. To business.

Bongser led the way into the preds and answered the questions, errm, as he had intended to set them :oops: ! All followed suit and so Bongser has now edited the puntable post and thereby put the horse in its correct position, before the cart.

We were missing both Chayders & Pubbers that week. Chayders will therefore remain stranded on 197 in the Mid8s. Pubbers was, the previous week, neck and neck with Tommers on 199. Had you only posted, Pubbers, the attendance point would have made you a double centurion in the short form of the game. More on that below.

Half-time score: Featherstone 8-6 Leigh

WLJ had Fev down for 8 – three points to him. Zools, Wanderer & Chas had Leigh down for 6 – three points to each auch! Thine host nailed the margin of 2 – ten points. All bar Atomic had Fev down as the HT leaders – five apiece.

Full-time score: Featherstone 42-10 Leigh

Zools, Wanderer & Chas (becoming a ménage a trois boys) had Fev down to win (five apiece). The other four laughed in the face of insuperable odds and plumped for Leigh. There is a French General(?) mentioned in Orwell’s “Down and Out in Paris and London” that, in the same sort of circumstances, simply screamed at the enemy the single word “Merde!” Charlie meanwhile further distinguished himself by correctly calling Leigh’s FT score – three more points to move him to 16 points, one ahead of Bongser as we move to the BBQs.

All, again barring Atomic, went for Fev to lead at HT – three points.

Zools, Wanderer & Chas decided to freshen things up by inviting WLJ to join them in correctly naming MDJ as the scorer of the first Leigh points. 3x3=9.

Charlie completed his blinding final round by naming Owens as Leythe’s final (hopefully not final ever) scorer. 3x3x3=27. Total of 43 for the week for Signor Caroli, to be supplemented by a WWB of 25. So a 68 point haul, Charles. You’ve been sliding down the charts recently but now Bongser (off-TOPIC!) is reminded of an advert for a certain snack that had a hazelnut in every bite, thick milk chocolate for your delight, nougat and caramel gold and light... The final line in one version of the ad was “Yes, funny how you always remember right at the end.”

It would seem that, right at the end, Charlie knows. :thumb:

League Leader Shield bearer, Tommers also collected the very last (more later) Jack Diggle Memorial Singleton to add to his trophy cabinet and thereby moved clear of Pubbers and is giving a perfunctory and somewhat embarassed raise of his bat on reaching 200 for the Mid8s.

Speaking of the Mids:

Wanderer on 313 (bat waft)
Zools on 233
Atomic on 200
Pubbers on 199
Chayders on 197
Chazzer on 195
Vanners on 194
Bonkers on 171
Jacobbers on 142 (if you want to reverse it to 2 four 1, you can BOGOF – geddit? :wink: )

DoNotResuscit8s:

Wanderer on 978
Atomic on 908
Charlie on 857
Pubs on 847
Zools on 844
Bongser on 730
WLJ on 586
Vanners on 578
Cokey on 468
Diggers on 114
LX111 on 98
SBS on 22

Just the time capsule exhumations to come. Will the Grand Final see Wanderer finale on a Grand?

Find out soon. :thumb:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3326
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 25 20159 years116th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:24 pm  
Time to reap what you sowed in various yester-rounds. Yes we are unearthing the final three time capsules.

Leading up to the not easily forgotten mismatch on the 7th of this month (hereafter only referred to as “7,10”), you were asked for your Grand Final punts.

A goal-less draw but not a no score draw. 12-4 to The Pahs. Boo!

Van da Man called the Wiggin score correctly but, as THIS year’s normal scoring was applied to this match, it helped him not one jot. Applause all the same. Of the seven in attendance only said Vanners called a WA victory along with WLJ. Further to those two points earned by the remainder, Wanderer & Charlie continued their fine form of that week’s preds, but Zools was replaced in the line-up of the three musketeers by a redeemed Atomic (further three to those). No correct scorelines so we’ll run the Grand Prix points on the margin.

First Place (and ten points) to each of Atomic, Charlie & Wanderer.
Fourth (2pts out for five points) Bongser.
Fifth (5pts adrift for four) Zools.
Sixth (10 for three) Jacobus.
Seventh (12 for two) Vanners.
No takers for the one remaining point.

These scores will count towards the final standings of both the Mid8s & Soup8s. However, as the punts from further back in antiquity will only affect the latter, we can now see the final Middle 8s table (Sunday names for this final round up):

Wanderer: 328 (congrats :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: )
Zulu01: 239 :CLAP: :CLAP:
Atomic: 215 :CLAP:
Charlie Caroli: 210
The Publican: 199
Cheadle Leyther: 197
Vancouver Leyther: 186
Bongser: 178 (narrowly avoiding the Man of Stool award)
Westleighjim: 145

Back in the mists of time other preds were posted. These included “the losers of the MPG” & “the winners of the GF”. For those wishing to check, the last recap of these was posted (partly in Klingon but with an English translation therebelow) on Page 49 of this thread.

The Trannies lost the MPG with neither they nor their conquerors “trying”. Who called it? A-Z order:

Cokey (who he?), Pubbers, Wanderer, Westleighjim & Zools. Ten points apiece. All others scratched out on both punts but WLJ and (playing a blinder from beyond the grave) Cokey collected a further ten points for predicting the winners of The Grand Final (spit!)

So to the FINAL SCORES of a very trialsome season. Sunday names and in reverse order:

SaBadSel on 22
LeytherX111 on 98
Jack Diggle on 114
Cokey on 488
Vancouver Leyther on 580
Westleighjim on 609 (bat waft)
Bent&Bongser on a Boeing 737 (a plane launched in the year of Bongser’s birth).
The Publican on 857
Zulu01 on 860

Podium Places:
A Bronze Medal to Charlie Caroli on 872 :CLAP:
A Silver Medal for Mrs Atomic to polish with the rest of the trophy cabinet as hubby got 923 :CLAP: :CLAP:

Which can only mean that we have a clear winner. Gold Medal to him, and the first name to be etched upon the Leythe WPL Trophy will be that of (drum rolllllllll :DRUMMER: )

WANDERER

Not only did he make the kilopoint thereby breaking the scoreboard and requiring Bongser to abseil down the side holding a hastily chalked card bearing the number three to complete the display of his final total, but he “scored” as many as Lorenzo da Ponte would have Don Giovanni doing in Spain alone – mille e tre!

On a thousand and three, he will henceforth be known as

DONNY JUAN

On your feet, gentlemen and give The Don the clap he so richly deserves :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :DANCE: :DANCE: :CHEERS: :DRUNK:
Last edited by Bent&Bongser on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3326
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 25 20159 years116th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:56 pm  
Well, that’s a wrap.

La La Land Episode II (Attack of the Clowns) will be in a cinema near you next season if there is a Leigh Centurions team and if there is sufficient interest in WPL. It will be more structured (Bongser has learnt from his many mistakes and has some (he thinks) Tony the Tiger Grrrrreat ideas for it - the loyalists will all be PMed in consultation.)

For example the measly one point attendance award will be replaced by a Joker Credit (indicated after your scores with a lower case j). Four js (jjjj) will be replaced by an upper case J that entitles a poster to play a Joker whenever and however he or she chooses (except on time capsules).

So (in the words of an advert that quoted a catchphrase of that big RL fan, Larry Grayson) it is time to “Shut that door – there’s a terrific draught in here”. (There wasn’t!!! Worthington E, Bongser thinks he remembers, or was it Whitbread Lack of Trophy Bitter?)

Over to Clive Anderson (blanched face and with his masseter muscles bulging repeatedly like trafficators) as he realised he’d b00gahed up when The Bee Gees had (quite rightly) walked off the obnoxious git’s talk show. :oops: Gamely trying to regain his composure, he turned back to the full face camera and said:

“.....Thank-you to all my guests, those who stayed and those who’ve gone....” :thumb:

During the Eights, we’ve seen Bongser quoting sea-faring poetry out of context and doing a Two Ronnies themed summary. To sign off, he will now combine the two with The Two Henrys (cricket themed but, Bongser feels, apposite nonetheless).

Firstly to Sir Henry Newbolt. Better known for his naval poetry though his most famous poem, “Vitai lampada” (quoted in part below) is on an army theme. Henners speaks not of Fenners but of another University ground. This is to be read in the less than dulcet tones of the great John Arlott. Silence please:

“There’s a breathless hush in the Close tonight –
Ten to make and the match to win –
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it’s not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season’s fame,
But his captain’s hand on his shoulder smote
‘PLAY UP! PLAY UP! AND PLAY THE GAME!’

Yup, “On the playing fields of England...” and all that. BTW, for those of you who bother to look up the whole poem and are not au fait with olde worlde counter cavalry formations, the “square that broke” is called a rhombus.

Henry II, now. Henry “Blowers” Blofeld in fact as he signed off from TMS for the final time:

“Now I must try not to fall over as I hand over to the next commentator who is, I think, going to be Ed Smith. How Lovely!”
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3939
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years192nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can.
“Up The Comics !”

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:32 pm  
Thanks Bongser. I really enjoyed your musings and learning how little I know about the game I played and have now watched for a very long time.
Hope we all get the chance to do it again.
I've been pretty silent on the main board while I wait for the hammer to fall. It's not that I don't care, Im just standing back from some of the rivalries and keyboard fighting. I wish the best for our beloved Comics and hope we are all predicting a Leyth win in the first game of next season.
All the best for the winter folks
Cheers
Paul
Zulu01 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain612
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 21 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Mar 23 02:0221st Oct 22 03:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'aequo pede propera'

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 pm  
Thanx Bongster, an excellent competition you ran all season. I understand you gave a lot of your own time up and kept us all entertained - will deffo. be back next season if you run one again.

Again thanx

Cheers - :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP:

Also well done Wanderer
RankPostsTeam
Moderator93042No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 18 200222 years121st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 21:5828th Mar 24 20:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:16 am  
Thanks to B&B for running this and inviting me to play. Really enjoyed it. According to the girlfriend, I'm very competitive :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13012No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 07 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 21 18:172nd Apr 20 17:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:26 pm  
I must thank Bongser for his efforts this season , and for his Shakespeare esq,ramblings, some of which had me baffled on many occasions,being a simple Clown that is easy.The season itself has been very difficult to view,many early losses being hard to put up with, on a personal loss , my BEST mate Frank Blackburn left us, I miss him so much, thanks Frank for so many great memories..

Now as our Club seems in freefall and Nero Beaumont , not sure what is occurring, I'm afraid, very afraid, but without Bongser the season would have felt like 2 years long, instead of the 24 months it felt like.It was really good to meet you Bongser and hopefully we meet again on cheerier circumstances.Cokey will buy all runners a drink at the start of next season.Be happy and smile.Charlie knows. :thumb:
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21000
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years57th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:4628th Mar 24 20:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:19 pm  
charlie caroli wrote:
I must thank Bongser for his efforts this season , and for his Shakespeare esq,ramblings, some of which had me baffled on many occasions,being a simple Clown that is easy.The season itself has been very difficult to view,many early losses being hard to put up with, on a personal loss , my BEST mate Frank Blackburn left us, I miss him so much, thanks Frank for so many great memories..

Now as our Club seems in freefall and Nero Beaumont , not sure what is occurring, I'm afraid, very afraid, but without Bongser the season would have felt like 2 years long, instead of the 24 months it felt like.It was really good to meet you Bongser and hopefully we meet again on cheerier circumstances.
Cokey will buy all runners a drink at the start of next season.
Be happy and smile.Charlie knows. :thumb:

I'll get em in Ian :lol: :CHEERS:

This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3939
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years192nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“Up The Comics !”

Re: Weekly Prediction League? : Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 pm  
I forgot to congratulate 'The Don'. Well done mate.
And if Cokeys buying I will try my best to be there :)
PreviousNext