FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5277
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200618 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Jun 24 11:395th Jun 24 11:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

NickyKiss wrote:
Don’t take things personal Stu. Insults aren’t usually what you’re about.

:lol: Apart from practically every discussion he gets into where Wigan fans won't share his love-in with Saints.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5277
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200618 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

On a couple points raised on Thompson: He's been superb every time he's payed this season. Even in a match where the team was down to 12 men for a third of the game (notoriously hard for forwards to make yards under those circumstances as certain posters know) he pretty much matched the best Saints had to offer even though he was apparently "dominated" :CRAZY:

On his Salary: if he's earning more than those two combined I'll eat my hat. Even if it were true why would it matter? It's not as if it's affecting our ability to sign or retain players. We have the best squad in Superleague and that's a universal opinion, not a Wigan fan's one.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29387
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 24 22:203rd Jun 24 13:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Interesting to hear a neutrals view on the Superleague Raw review of the game (Wire fan, so no love for either) and I think taking all Wigan and Saints fans debates aside, he’s just about right-

Walmsley best player on the field.

Mentions for Knowles, Thompson and O’Neill also.

Staggered Lees got man of the match

A 3-2-1 points award of Walmsley, Knowles and O’Neill but he said O’Neill would’ve got 3 had Wigan held out.

Red card probably turned the game but hard to say. Also agreed with the decision of red and thought the yellow might be a red.

Agreed with Wellens that the intensity/quality of the fixture is as close to Origin as we’ll see in this country currently.

All pretty fair comments. In all the points scoring against each other, I think we as Wigan and Saints fans can sometimes miss just how special this rivalry is at the minute. The teams are as close in quality terms as I can remember in my time watching the sport.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2911
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years184th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Jun 24 10:5225th May 24 08:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Stu M wrote:
I’ll try and reply to a few points in one post.

Firstly it wasn’t me in Sainsburys. I don’t wear replica shirts and I’m currently in Spain (got her yesterday and getting pelters off the wife for being on my phone but I love a debate)

I came on here after the game to acknowledge Wigans part in such a great game. They are an outstanding team and the next time we play it will be a genuine 50/50 possibly Wigan being slight favourites. They muscled up superbly and despite all our first half territory we couldn’t score.

I just can’t fathom how it seems to be a given that the next time we play as long as Wigan play better it’s fine.

Who is to say we don’t improve our attack? Welsby and Lomax have been relatively quiet all season but what if one of them fires?

Yes Wigans pack may be better next time with returning players but ours could be too with Passi and Bell.

Bell has interchanged superbly all season with Knowles and given us another dimension.

I just feel there’s a distorted view of Wigan playing better next time and rolling us.

If they do I’ll come on here and hold my hands up.

Edit- Saints fans mention Thompson because from what I’ve been reading I thought Payne Haas had played for Wigan. In reality there were 3 better Saints forwards (IMO) and when I mention salary I’m doing it to refer to output v salary. You’d have change left from Knowles and Walmsley combined compared to Thompson and that for me is important.

I think you’ve missed the emphasis if both teams have a full set of forwards available. Maybe you missed it or you think what I posted is a load of rollocks. I’m pretty confident that with 2 full sets of forwards our potential for overall improvement beats yours.

Welsby had his quietest game against us probably since he started playing but maybe Lomax/Dodds/Clark hadn’t got the game on Friday or haven’t got it at all when it’s hey lads hey. Welsby is a fine player and so is Field when he’s on his game.
Lomax is in the twilight of his career. It’s not a criticism just an acknowledgment of fact. A top class player at his best but he hasn’t really fired now for over a season.

Anyway I’m already looking forward to the next battle. Hopefully we both get through to the CCSF and we can have another rerun with hopefully a different result.
Stu M 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1041
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 22 20222 years146th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jun 24 13:523rd Jun 24 13:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

WWste wrote:
Shock horror a Wigan forum backing there own team, bit salty there stu. I do think your side is on it way out, the niggling in the ruck throwing arm up for pens I’ve always seen that as a side who can’t cope with a game. We picked up at the right time last year and our side is arguably better this season so obviously we feel we will get better. Watching saints stumble through sets in attack the same as last year no I don’t see how it improves. You mention about Walmsley he did very little until we had 12 on the field at the end when he went on that run. I thought Matatiua sironin and lees were great. Always thought Percival was a decent centre but nothing more now the sides on the decline he’s average. Bachelor I do rate him he didn’t stand out but again was injured. If teams attack Bennison they know he can’t defend and same with Hurrell, can’t turn save his life that man so is going to get found out like last GF. I’m more worried about Catalan than I am about Saints. If you don’t like what’s said on here you know what to do

I enjoy debating with rival fans. Would be a bit boring if we all held the same opinion. If you want me to not post just because I have a different opinion then that’s a shame

I should post with a :lol: emoji like Phuzzy does to mask the fact he’s a condescending patronising p***k who argues with his own fans on here.

I reacted to NK who is normally a great poster who suggested that Saints players play for free which I felt was a daft comment from a normally great balanced poster.
Stu M 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1041
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 22 20222 years146th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I think you’ve missed the emphasis if both teams have a full set of forwards available. Maybe you missed it or you think what I posted is a load of rollocks. I’m pretty confident that with 2 full sets of forwards our potential for overall improvement beats yours.

Welsby had his quietest game against us probably since he started playing but maybe Lomax/Dodds/Clark hadn’t got the game on Friday or haven’t got it at all when it’s hey lads hey. Welsby is a fine player and so is Field when he’s on his game.
Lomax is in the twilight of his career. It’s not a criticism just an acknowledgment of fact. A top class player at his best but he hasn’t really fired now for over a season.

Anyway I’m already looking forward to the next battle. Hopefully we both get through to the CCSF and we can have another rerun with hopefully a different result.

I agree with you about Lomax and feel we got it wrong with his contract extension.
Stu M 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1041
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 22 20222 years146th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

NickyKiss wrote:
Interesting to hear a neutrals view on the Superleague Raw review of the game (Wire fan, so no love for either) and I think taking all Wigan and Saints fans debates aside, he’s just about right-

Walmsley best player on the field.

Mentions for Knowles, Thompson and O’Neill also.

Staggered Lees got man of the match

A 3-2-1 points award of Walmsley, Knowles and O’Neill but he said O’Neill would’ve got 3 had Wigan held out.

Red card probably turned the game but hard to say. Also agreed with the decision of red and thought the yellow might be a red.

Agreed with Wellens that the intensity/quality of the fixture is as close to Origin as we’ll see in this country currently.

All pretty fair comments. In all the points scoring against each other, I think we as Wigan and Saints fans can sometimes miss just how special this rivalry is at the minute. The teams are as close in quality terms as I can remember in my time watching the sport.

I think we are now on the verge of a rivalry similar to Utd and Arsenal im the late 90s, early noughties and Liverpool and City now.

Depending on our recruitment and which of the Academy players “make it” it’s looking likely that Wigan will have the better of the next few years but it will still be an unbelievable rivalry and one that is streets ahead of the rest of the comp.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29387
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 24 22:203rd Jun 24 13:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Stu M wrote:
I think we are now on the verge of a rivalry similar to Utd and Arsenal im the late 90s, early noughties and Liverpool and City now.

Depending on our recruitment and which of the Academy players “make it” it’s looking likely that Wigan will have the better of the next few years but it will still be an unbelievable rivalry and one that is streets ahead of the rest of the comp.

Some players will need to be replaced on both sides. The big questions for Wigan are Field and French and then Saints have some big players coming to the back end, with no obvious replacements jumping out from outside the club but it’s tough to see either club falling away dramatically for a good while.

One thing we haven’t had is many finals between the clubs (not that we could attend anyway) but I can’t see how we won’t have a couple in the next few years. I read opposition fans saying it’s boring seeing a Wigan v Saints final ‘again’ but not sure where they get that from. We’ve not had a challenge cup final between us for 20 years and we’ve had 1 Grand Final in the last 9 seasons (and no fans could go). I can only imagine how intense a final would be between the sides at the minute!
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5277
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200618 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Stu M wrote:

I should post with a :lol: emoji like Phuzzy does to mask the fact he’s a condescending patronising p***k who argues with his own fans on here.

Not like Stu that is it NK? :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Junior Player235No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 07 20231 year226th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Jun 24 03:504th Jun 24 21:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

To summarise. Saints fans “lol we dominated you and Thompson is rubbish”

Wigan fans “even though we were utterly dominated there is nothing to worry about and we are still streets ahead of saints”

I think that’s a fair assessment of the salt and tears from both fans.
PreviousNext