Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 21:4818th Apr 24 16:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Manfredi : Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:24 pm  
vastman wrote:
He's still the second best winger after Tom Johnstone - sorry but it's true.

No boasts or claims from me but I’ll look forward to the battle next year. They’ve both come back unbelievably well from terrible injuries and it’s good for England to have such fantastic options going forward in the wing positions. Even as good as they both are they’d have to go some to get close to McGillvarys form in the World Cup last year. He’d be a superstar in a side challenging for trophies.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35935
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 13:4618th Apr 24 10:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Manfredi : Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:33 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
No boasts or claims from me but I’ll look forward to the battle next year. They’ve both come back unbelievably well from terrible injuries and it’s good for England to have such fantastic options going forward in the wing positions. Even as good as they both are they’d have to go some to get close to McGillvarys form in the World Cup last year. He’d be a superstar in a side challenging for trophies.

So do I, Johnstone is the form winger but he'll have to work damned hard to stay there because the competition is fierce - possibly the only position where it is for British players.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3227No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 01 200617 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 22:173rd Apr 24 17:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Manfredi : Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:31 pm  
As an ‘outside’ what’s going to be the score with your wingers next season?

Manfredi/Burgess/Davies/Marshall

All 4 good enough to get in any other SL team so how/do/can you keep all four?

If all four remain injury free I think it could be hard to keep all happy as surely they will all want 1st team SL action

Do you guys think one of them could go out on a season long loan to another SL club for example?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2071No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200717 years215th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 19:5914th Apr 24 20:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Manfredi : Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:46 pm  
cheekydiddles wrote:
As an ‘outside’ what’s going to be the score with your wingers next season?

Manfredi/Burgess/Davies/Marshall

All 4 good enough to get in any other SL team so how/do/can you keep all four?

If all four remain injury free I think it could be hard to keep all happy as surely they will all want 1st team SL action

Do you guys think one of them could go out on a season long loan to another SL club for example?

For me on their best form it’s Manfredi and Burgess but I’m not sure Burgess has been close to his best since returning from Oz (was starting to hit form before injury) and I guess he’s on the biggest wage of the four so if an offer came in I’m not sure the club would stand in his way. Davies will never let anyone down and and rarely has a bad game, for me he is the 3rd best, Marshall could well be the most exciting of the 4 and is probably the fastest but his defence is the weakest of all 4 and he isn’t the best under the high ball.
I think we will keep all 4 for the start of next year as with injuries and also covering full back and centre they will all probably see game time although I wouldn’t be too suprised to see Marshall maybe going on loan at some point if everyone is fit.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4929
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 11 200618 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 18:4511th Apr 24 18:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"...To those people that wrote this team off...
to all those that criticised this team...
tonight's for you"

Sir Kevin Sinfield

Re: Manfredi : Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:21 pm  
Manfredi is absolutely top drawer IMO and is miles in front of the other 3 Wigan wingers (although all of those 3 are very good too and would all get into most SL sides )
Tom Johnstone is another outstanding winger,but more offensively than defensively atm

It will be interesting seeing how these 2 go when they step up to games v Australia and N Zealand

Ryan Hall and McGillvary are both tried and trusted wingers at that level and always deliver the goods irrespective of their club form and IF both were fit would be in the England side on merit

Manfredi will get his chance Internationally and he will be there for years IMO
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35935
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 13:4618th Apr 24 10:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Manfredi : Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 pm  
The Biffs Back wrote:
Manfredi is absolutely top drawer IMO and is miles in front of the other 3 Wigan wingers (although all of those 3 are very good too and would all get into most SL sides )
Tom Johnstone is another outstanding winger,but more offensively than defensively atm

It will be interesting seeing how these 2 go when they step up to games v Australia and N Zealand

Ryan Hall and McGillvary are both tried and trusted wingers at that level and always deliver the goods irrespective of their club form and IF both were fit would be in the England side on merit

Manfredi will get his chance Internationally and he will be there for years IMO

No idea where this myth about Johnstone's defence comes from, he's on a par with every other winger in SL including Manfredi - his defence is sound - though like EVERY other winger he gets caught out occasionally.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20137No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 18:2016th Apr 24 16:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Manfredi : Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:30 pm  
For me you have to go with Jerry McG and Johnstone on the wings for England.

If we had Hall fit and available I’d still go with Jerry and Hall.

Johnstone and Manfredi and the natural successors and that process has obviously begun and players like Davies are snapping st their heels.

Having watched both Manfredi and Johnstone regularly I personally with my Wigan hat on am more than happy with Manfredi over Johnstone. Despite what Vasty says with his all things Wakey specs on, TJ does have some areas he needs to work on that Manfredi already has particularly defence and positional play.

Both are however obviously very talented players and offer fantastic competition and quality on the flanks for their respective clubs and country for many years to come.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1829No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 20168 years224th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 20:1816th Apr 24 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Manfredi : Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20 pm  
CobraCraig wrote:
For me on their best form it’s Manfredi and Burgess but I’m not sure Burgess has been close to his best since returning from Oz (was starting to hit form before injury) and I guess he’s on the biggest wage of the four so if an offer came in I’m not sure the club would stand in his way. Davies will never let anyone down and and rarely has a bad game, for me he is the 3rd best, Marshall could well be the most exciting of the 4 and is probably the fastest but his defence is the weakest of all 4 and he isn’t the best under the high ball.
I think we will keep all 4 for the start of next year as with injuries and also covering full back and centre they will all probably see game time although I wouldn’t be too suprised to see Marshall maybe going on loan at some point if everyone is fit.

I’d agree with all of that.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain965
JoinedServiceReputation
May 14 20168 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Sep 21 13:3110th Sep 21 20:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Manfredi : Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:23 pm  
Personally I’d be trying to make Burgess into a centre over pre season, has shown glimpses of potential in that position and has a decent passing game although the main worry is his defence in that position. A backline of Hardaker (presuming he stays) Manfredi Gildart Burgess and Davies is a very good one
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29263
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 21:4818th Apr 24 16:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Manfredi : Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 am  
jonh wrote:
For me you have to go with Jerry McG and Johnstone on the wings for England.

If we had Hall fit and available I’d still go with Jerry and Hall.

Johnstone and Manfredi and the natural successors and that process has obviously begun and players like Davies are snapping st their heels.

Having watched both Manfredi and Johnstone regularly I personally with my Wigan hat on am more than happy with Manfredi over Johnstone. Despite what Vasty says with his all things Wakey specs on, TJ does have some areas he needs to work on that Manfredi already has particularly defence and positional play.

Both are however obviously very talented players and offer fantastic competition and quality on the flanks for their respective clubs and country for many years to come.

It’s probably not the first thing people look for but it’s been Manfredi’s defensive ability since he came back which has impressed me most. His reading of a situation is incredible, with him making sure he leaves himself enough time and room to cover his winger by ensuring he doesn’t get dragged in too far. It’s something Tom Davies can learn from on the other side because at times he’s been guilty of drifting in and leaving too much space on the outside for both players to run in to and for kicks in behind.
PreviousNext