Sep 26 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Nov 22 17:5710th Aug 20 13:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: (*&^^%^ dumb referee : Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:55 pm  
the flying biscuit wrote:
The results are not the point though we (wire) were well and truly beaten by Salford but the refeering is a joke. Cooper got a yellow for a high tackle in our last game yet today Salford are just penalised for a high shot that spins goodwin round and stops him scoring a try.... just a penalty... :FRUSRATED:

I dont get it...

well I do..... Steve Ganson is incharge of them and he was the worst ref by a country mile.

losing a game shouldnt mean we have to accept the woeful and madly inconsistent refeering

Exactly my point. At times today the saints defensive line was all over the place, some back 10, others back 5 and
the ref just ignored it after hammering us for offside in the first half. The Saints centre whos name i cant spell was stood 2 metres offside and had to turn around towards his own line to pick up a woeful stray pass from Leulaui.

This is not about winning or losing or who was the better team, its about fairness.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20 20185 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Sep 19 12:1512th Sep 19 20:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The Leigh and Wakefield fans mentality......

Say something negative about any other team than theirs - Its an opinion

Say something negative about Leigh and Wakefield - TROLL

Re: (*&^^%^ dumb referee : Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:23 pm  
The_Enforcer wrote:
Exactly my point. At times today the saints defensive line was all over the place, some back 10, others back 5 and
the ref just ignored it after hammering us for offside in the first half. The Saints centre whos name i cant spell was stood 2 metres offside and had to turn around towards his own line to pick up a woeful stray pass from Leulaui.

This is not about winning or losing or who was the better team, its about fairness.

Utter lies. Not our fault our defensive line is quick whilst yours is amateurish. For once every ref call was bang on
JonB95 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1885No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 30 201113 years313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Apr 24 20:5230th Mar 24 11:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: (*&^^%^ dumb referee : Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:32 pm  
P-J wrote:
I'd like to know why a red card wasn't shown for the 'tackle' on Shorrocks at the end of the game.

because there was no red card offence, fairly simple really
RankPostsTeam
International Star811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 201212 years299th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Aug 22 23:0916th Aug 22 15:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: (*&^^%^ dumb referee : Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:25 pm  
The results are not the point though we (wire) were well and truly beaten by Salford but the refeering is a joke. Cooper got a yellow for a high tackle in our last game yet today Salford are just penalised for a high shot that spins goodwin round and stops him scoring a try.... just a penalty... :FRUSRATED:

I dont get it...

well I do..... Steve Ganson is incharge of them and he was the worst ref by a country mile.

losing a game shouldnt mean we have to accept the woeful and madly inconsistent refeering

If you get a chance have a look at the challenge by Peyroux,Shorrocks is in Salford royal hospital i didn't call it a tackle because it's not worthy of the term it was a blatant attack to the head :CRAZY:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 200618 years252nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Apr 24 12:264th Apr 24 21:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN:

Re: (*&^^%^ dumb referee : Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 pm  
warrior1872 wrote:
If you get a chance have a look at the challenge by Peyroux,Shorrocks is in Salford royal hospital i didn't call it a tackle because it's not worthy of the term it was a blatant attack to the head :CRAZY:

There was no attack to the head, there was no contact with the head. It was a shoulder charge no doubt (which is a penalty) but multiple reviews by the video ref saw no contact with the head, else it would have been a red card - a standard that has been in place for a number of years.

It’s never pleasant when a player gets injured, but tackles shouldn’t be penalised because of their consequences. Just because a player has whiplash (which I believe is the issue? Happy to be corrected) doesn’t mean there was an attack to the head, simply he was put in a dangerous position by foul play, which was accordingly penalised and resulted in the sin bin.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1081
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Nov 22 17:5710th Aug 20 13:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: (*&^^%^ dumb referee : Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:01 am  
Ruune Rebellion wrote:
Utter lies. Not our fault our defensive line is quick whilst yours is amateurish. For once every ref call was bang on

Standing 5 metres in front of the ref at the PTB is not being quick.
phibes 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach314No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 28 200816 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 19:4819th Feb 24 18:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: (*&^^%^ dumb referee : Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:25 am  

I dont get it...

First off, I don’t think we lost because of the referee yesterday. What I did notice early-doors was that their first try came from field position gained from 3 penalties and our first try came on the back of field position from a penalty in the other direction. It just shows what we all know - how penalties can swing momentum and score lines in a game.

The problem with super league is that not enough is done to address inconsistencies in refereeing performances. Sometimes offside is given, at other times particularly first tackle plays, the refs don’t seem to bother. Not square at second marker is another penalty that is selectively awarded. Yesterday we were pinged for throwing the ball away, later when a saints players kicked the ball away, nothing happened.

We’re paying to watch this, the players are being paid to play and we have a standard of refereeing that sometimes looks very amateur. So what’s going on? First of all, I’d point the finger at the RFL who have never really got to grips with this problem and seem to think this crazy inconsistency is part of the game. Partly it could be to do with communication between Ganson and head coaches, and them failing to develop a shared understanding of what is and not allowed. Our PTB are a mess compared to the NRL, we have players falling down if there’s any contact with the marker and dropping the ball if there’s a hand on their arm.

One thing that I don’t get is why penalty counts are often fairly even at the end of the game. It doesn’t make sense that both teams are often as badly disciplined as one another. We know theres at least one instance of a ref asking the video ref ‘what’s the penalty count?’ during a live game. I heard that Gary Schofield put the same question to Richard Silverwood recently and he said that referees were told to ‘look after themselves’ or words to those effect. It all points to a culture within the refereeing group to give penalties selectively in order to make themselves look impartial and that could go a long way to explaining why officiating is so inconsistent even within the same game.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15184No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years193rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 15:2418th Apr 24 15:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: (*&^^%^ dumb referee : Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:46 pm  
phibes wrote:
First off, I don’t think we lost because of the referee yesterday. What I did notice early-doors was that their first try came from field position gained from 3 penalties and our first try came on the back of field position from a penalty in the other direction. It just shows what we all know - how penalties can swing momentum and score lines in a game.

The problem with super league is that not enough is done to address inconsistencies in refereeing performances. Sometimes offside is given, at other times particularly first tackle plays, the refs don’t seem to bother. Not square at second marker is another penalty that is selectively awarded. Yesterday we were pinged for throwing the ball away, later when a saints players kicked the ball away, nothing happened.

We’re paying to watch this, the players are being paid to play and we have a standard of refereeing that sometimes looks very amateur. So what’s going on? First of all, I’d point the finger at the RFL who have never really got to grips with this problem and seem to think this crazy inconsistency is part of the game. Partly it could be to do with communication between Ganson and head coaches, and them failing to develop a shared understanding of what is and not allowed. Our PTB are a mess compared to the NRL, we have players falling down if there’s any contact with the marker and dropping the ball if there’s a hand on their arm.

One thing that I don’t get is why penalty counts are often fairly even at the end of the game. It doesn’t make sense that both teams are often as badly disciplined as one another. We know theres at least one instance of a ref asking the video ref ‘what’s the penalty count?’ during a live game. I heard that Gary Schofield put the same question to Richard Silverwood recently and he said that referees were told to ‘look after themselves’ or words to those effect. It all points to a culture within the refereeing group to give penalties selectively in order to make themselves look impartial and that could go a long way to explaining why officiating is so inconsistent even within the same game.

This is one of the best and fairest assessments of our refereeing problem that I've ever seen.

We all, of whatever club, frequently feel hard done to by referees - and the fact is that we're not making it up. Refereeing inconsistency can massively tilt games in the favour of one side in particular, and frequently does, while the malefactor's frantic efforts to then make it look fair by awarding a rash of late penalties to the other side when the game is already lost is pathetically transparent. If nothing else, referees should NOT be told what the penalty count is. If it bothers them so much, they should keep it themselves.

It doesn't help, of course, that our commentators don't call these things out. I heard a rumour that they were recently told to cut back back on their criticism of the officials - why, I can't imagine - but the presence in the box of Stuart Cummins as Sky's resident referee apologist (let's not forget that he was guilty of all these things too) indicates where the thinking is. It's also a joke that referees are disciplined behind closed doors. As long as the only debt they have to pay is write a letter of apology to the club in question - I know for a fact that Wigan have a roomful of them, though most other clubs probably do as well - then there is no motivation for them to clean up their act.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4649
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years208th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 23:2415th Apr 24 15:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: (*&^^%^ dumb referee : Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:38 am  
Yes, a good and thoughtful post, phibes.
Previous