FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Sack Adrian Lam - bring back Wane - all is forgiven
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Mar 20 08:2924th Dec 19 16:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

WARRIOR5 wrote:
We won, take the positives and stop moaning. Yes there’s huge room for improvement but we got the two points on offer. Don’t forget Salford dismantled Warrington, they’re not a bad side.

Not moaning. Really no need for that.
I wasn't referring to the Salford game.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

ChrisA wrote:
I'm talking long term, as in losing SOL, Tommy and Williams. There's more to a discussion than just the present... Whoever is appointed has to deal with that situation. Your "champion team" will be missing Sam, Bateman, Tommy, Williams and Lockers. The next manager, whoever is appointed has work to do with all this in mind. Burgess is out of contract, Dom may not come back the player he was. Gildart is rumoured to interesting the NRL. So yes our next coach has a hell of a lot to do. Or do you not agree?

Lam signed a 1 year contract with Wigan. His job was to lead a champion side to more success within a small time period. The 'champion team' is a reference to this season, as currently we are defending champions, which means we aren't missing Tommy George or Lockers. We're missing 3 players Tomkins, Bateman and Sutton. Which were replaced with Hardaker, Greenwood and Bullock. Are they as good as the 3 departing? Perhaps, perhaps not. But lets face it, each team will lose players, difference is, we are a team/squad which are defending champions minus a few which have been replaced.

For a new coach, or if Lam does end up coaching long term; it's exciting, to review, Tommy is an average 7 and a decent/good 9, not superb or outstanding. Lockers is class; one of my favs, but in recent years his games per season aren't great, and George, I rate George but his departure opens up a marquee spot, next season we'll have more money under cap and marquee spots to build, exciting times...

That's if of course, going along with your hypotheticals... Lockers and Tommy do retire and George does leave. All are very possible, especially George, but as far as I'm aware nothing's been confirmed on any of the 3 you mentioned.
bazdev 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner788No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200321 years264th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 22:4014th Apr 24 18:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Lam signed a 1 year contract with Wigan. His job was to lead a champion side to more success within a small time period. The 'champion team' is a reference to this season, as currently we are defending champions, which means we aren't missing Tommy George or Lockers. We're missing 3 players Tomkins, Bateman and Sutton. Which were replaced with Hardaker, Greenwood and Bullock. Are they as good as the 3 departing? Perhaps, perhaps not. But lets face it, each team will lose players, difference is, we are a team/squad which are defending champions minus a few which have been replaced.

For a new coach, or if Lam does end up coaching long term; it's exciting, to review, Tommy is an average 7 and a decent/good 9, not superb or outstanding. Lockers is class; one of my favs, but in recent years his games per season aren't great, and George, I rate George but his departure opens up a marquee spot, next season we'll have more money under cap and marquee spots to build, exciting times...

That's if of course, going along with your hypotheticals... Lockers and Tommy do retire and George does leave. All are very possible, especially George, but as far as I'm aware nothing's been confirmed on any of the 3 you mentioned.

But if the marquee comes from overseas we are in a worse position cap wise as 150k will count on the cap opposed to George's 75k. So before we start we are worse off
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 13 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jul 22 07:503rd Feb 20 06:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Last Son of Wigan wrote:

I’m not disagreeing for the sake of it but whilst the club would never say it, Lam was not brought in to bring us success. He was brought in to have an average season with Edwards taking over the year after. Lam was a stop gap, but that dynamic has obviously changed.

Let’s face it, George is gone. It’s a matter of when not if it is announced. But as the other poster said, him going only frees up £75k on the cap. I think we will miss him massively.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20 201113 years285th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Nov 23 17:244th Nov 23 09:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

WARRIOR5 wrote:
I’m not disagreeing for the sake of it but whilst the club would never say it, Lam was not brought in to bring us success. He was brought in to have an average season with Edwards taking over the year after. Lam was a stop gap, but that dynamic has obviously changed.

Let’s face it, George is gone. It’s a matter of when not if it is announced. But as the other poster said, him going only frees up £75k on the cap. I think we will miss him massively.

Almost right. It does free up £75k on the cap but it also frees up a marquee spot, should Mr Lenegan choose to use it. Now I’m a huge fan of Williams but the prospect of a marquee halfback from Australia or NZ excites me a lot. Assuming Williams has gone, I only hope we do bring in a marquee player because if the rumours are to be believed, Chris Aitkin from Hull KR is lined up to replace him and I’d honestly shed tears if that happened.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1895
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 20177 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 20:526th Apr 24 11:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.

Bigredwarrior wrote:
Chris Aitkin from Hull KR is lined up to replace him and I’d honestly shed tears if that happened.

I wonder how many more fans it would lose, Surely Lenagan can't be that tight or stupid
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 13 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jul 22 07:503rd Feb 20 06:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Bigredwarrior wrote:
Almost right. It does free up £75k on the cap but it also frees up a marquee spot, should Mr Lenegan choose to use it. Now I’m a huge fan of Williams but the prospect of a marquee halfback from Australia or NZ excites me a lot. Assuming Williams has gone, I only hope we do bring in a marquee player because if the rumours are to be believed, Chris Aitkin from Hull KR is lined up to replace him and I’d honestly shed tears if that happened.

We already have a marquee spot free though?! Funny Lenagan was one of the main voices to get two but now only has one (to be zero).
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7732
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years83rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 20:3719th Apr 24 07:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

WARRIOR5 wrote:
We already have a marquee spot free though?! Funny Lenagan was one of the main voices to get two but now only has one (to be zero).

What makes you think we've only got one?
Any Wigan trained player on over 75k will immediately be worthy of a marquee spot
Farrell
Lockers
Gildart
Budgie
Etc
Whichever one of those earns the most will be the 2nd marquee behind with Williams
Unless one of the non trained players earns more over 150k than any of the above do over 75k
You k ow
Players like
Hardaker
Sarginson
Tommy
Greenwood
Etc
Last edited by Jukesays on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Bigredwarrior wrote:

I'd be right next to you on that one.
But... I can see it happening.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 16 200915 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Jun 22 15:5227th Jan 22 09:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I think that people are assuming we only have George as marquee because we were told by the club that Sam T was our first marquee and that George was our second. When Sam T left they did not announce that any existing player (or the subsequently signed Hardaker, Bullock or Sammut) had replaced him as a marquee player. In the lack of any declaration on the club's part we can only assume that they have kept the marquee slot vacated by Sam unused.

It may be a vain hope but if by not using the £75k Sam T had cost (in terms of the cap) this season it allows us to bring in one marquee player costing £150k for next year once George leaves and his £75k becomes available, without needing to lose yet another player worth 75k+ next year to make space, then that may be the reason it is seemingly not being used this year.
PreviousNext