FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Pre-season.
RankPostsTeam
International Star7150No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 24 00:1523rd May 24 15:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pre-season. : Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:47 pm  
fosdyke99 wrote:
repeat what ive said before,we have not replaced cliifford.havent a recognised 7 on the books.brown is a 9.dont think trueman is answer either.we should have paid carlos off,waste of a quota spot.we need a recognised 7,also forewards look a bit better,but we still need another big second rower.

I agree with your comments.
We are now playing with no recognised half backs a front row at 13 and a very poor threequarter line.
That said we should not be conceding 40 points in a pre season friendly and getting nilled
Trueman is no world beater so we shouldnt be banking on him to change the team dramatically at half back when he is fit.It was obvious last season he had lost his pace since his injury which was a major part of his game.
Hoy is not a half back and Walker is a much better full back so i just wonder what Smith will do with him.Just because he is an Aussie import shouldnt be a pass for playing him if he is not cutting it on the field.
He has some pace which we need but cant think of any other position we could utilise his pace as he is not big enough for a centre but maybe try him on the wing in place of McIntosh and change the way we bring the ball out from the back on that wing.
Playing Cator at nine is just bemusing and like i said several weeks ago we will still be playing Championship level players like McIntosh,Cator,Lane and Fash in our 17.
London apart none of those players would get a regular place in other S/L clubs first 17.
There are some encouraging signs from the new forwards but imagine if we lost Pele and Essee for a long period with injury we would be in real trouble.
Hate to say this but i would rather see Brown at nine and play Houghton at 13
BP1 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach978
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years143rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 20:3522nd May 24 19:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
In the land of wishful thinking once more. Patiently waiting for our time to finally arrive.
Signature
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011.

Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony.

I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.

Re: Pre-season. : Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:29 pm  
Marcus's Bicycle wrote:
All I want from this season is a steady improvement. In truth with the squad we have assembled I cannot see us finishing in the top 6. We have to be realistic. If we are at least competing for a play off place come the final rounds it will be progress.

Quite obviously Wigan and Saints will almost certainly be in the six. For London I reckon the aim will be to win at least two or three games and not suffer the embarrassment of going pointless all year, which could happen.
The remaining nine all have varying chances of grabbing a play-off place, although Salford and Cas look even weaker than us.

It's not impossible for us to sneak into the top-six, but it will need an awful lot of things to fall in our favour for it to happen.
This squad will need to reach somewhere near its maximum potential limit (and stay virtually injury free all year), added to that we would probably need two or three of the other mid-table trundlers to underperform and therefore open up those 5th/6th spots for someone unexpected to nab.

It has happened before when a side has taken everyone by surprise and over-performs to elbow their way into the mix (seem to recall Widnes doing it one year?), so we aren't completely without hope!

But realistically, it's difficult to put a case for us being in the play-offs come September, all things being equal. We simply don't look strong enough, with a lack of both quality and squad depth being major hinderances to any serious challenges.
I'm just going to take it week by week and see how the season pans out and, like you, hope to see at least some signs that some progress is being made in the right direction. :( :(
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years30th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th May 24 18:3512th May 24 18:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Pre-season. : Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:18 pm  
BP1 wrote:
Quite obviously Wigan and Saints will almost certainly be in the six. For London I reckon the aim will be to win at least two or three games and not suffer the embarrassment of going pointless all year, which could happen.
The remaining nine all have varying chances of grabbing a play-off place, although Salford and Cas look even weaker than us.

It's not impossible for us to sneak into the top-six, but it will need an awful lot of things to fall in our favour for it to happen.
This squad will need to reach somewhere near its maximum potential limit (and stay virtually injury free all year), added to that we would probably need two or three of the other mid-table trundlers to underperform and therefore open up those 5th/6th spots for someone unexpected to nab.

It has happened before when a side has taken everyone by surprise and over-performs to elbow their way into the mix (seem to recall Widnes doing it one year?), so we aren't completely without hope!

But realistically, it's difficult to put a case for us being in the play-offs come September, all things being equal. We simply don't look strong enough, with a lack of both quality and squad depth being major hinderances to any serious challenges.
I'm just going to take it week by week and see how the season pans out and, like you, hope to see at least some signs that some progress is being made in the right direction. :( :(

Good post and I couldn't really put it better myself its all about trying to identify some signs of progress but when you part with players like Swift and have to see players like Clifford move on it's effectively two steps back and big boots to fill, before we even make any steps forward. Looking at our squad it's thin and still containing some players from last season that many have big question marks over. Hoping that some of our junior players can sustain anything like Super League form week in week out during times of injury is a massive ask and quite unrealistic, fixture wise it's a relentless and gruelling schedule that can just grind you down..

We've invested in our passes again many of us like me through our undying love of our club rather than with much hope of success, because that's what we do, however we have to be realistic and there are just too many 'if's' around the quality and depth of our squad and the most important part of any club the spine is in chaos and quite frankly it shows.

I hear all the excuses (pre season games don't count, too much chopping and changing, injuries etc etc) but to be nilled in any game is an embarrassment and in this one Wigan themselves made. a load of changes too. We should have at least crossed once but we didn't nor did we look like doing it if we'd played till six O'Clock.

You have to build a team behind a dominant pack but having just that wins few games if any. you can hold out and muscle it out for a half or so but then you have to be able to cut loose, play wide and stretch teams width and their mental strength. As I said in an earlier post we just have to get behind a coach (who, because of our financial situation is working with one hand tied behind his back), and look for progress, but unlike in the past that is hampered by a difficult market place and a lack of cash available to sign players to inspire the squad and the fans.

There are so many concerns around the squad and although our hope is our main motivation, its hard to see much more than total effort and passion across a season during which we try to weld together a team, identify what we still need and try and get it for next season. As long as the effort and desire is there it will go a long way with us lot. And who knows, as was said above we might sneek into the 6 but that will be it and that will only happen if we keep injuries to a minimum and as I said earlier in this thread its going to be another long and bumpy season. Its a good job we love em!!!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12058No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 08 200618 years150th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 14:5221st May 24 21:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pre-season. : Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:09 am  
bonaire wrote:
I agree with your comments.
We are now playing with no recognised half backs a front row at 13 and a very poor threequarter line.
That said we should not be conceding 40 points in a pre season friendly and getting nilled
Trueman is no world beater so we shouldnt be banking on him to change the team dramatically at half back when he is fit.It was obvious last season he had lost his pace since his injury which was a major part of his game.
Hoy is not a half back and Walker is a much better full back so i just wonder what Smith will do with him.Just because he is an Aussie import shouldnt be a pass for playing him if he is not cutting it on the field.
He has some pace which we need but cant think of any other position we could utilise his pace as he is not big enough for a centre but maybe try him on the wing in place of McIntosh and change the way we bring the ball out from the back on that wing.
Playing Cator at nine is just bemusing and like i said several weeks ago we will still be playing Championship level players like McIntosh,Cator,Lane and Fash in our 17.
London apart none of those players would get a regular place in other S/L clubs first 17.
There are some encouraging signs from the new forwards but imagine if we lost Pele and Essee for a long period with injury we would be in real trouble.
Hate to say this but i would rather see Brown at nine and play Houghton at 13

The prop at 13 thing could be an even bigger issue if Walker is going to play full back. I like Walker but he's more of an old school, support playing 1 rather than a pivot. Walker at 1 and Fash at 13 would cause me to worry about where our creativity would come from, and puts an awful lot of pressure on Hoy and Brown (or whoever gets the nod in the halves).
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24666No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200321 years1st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 24 13:1023rd May 24 15:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pre-season. : Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:10 am  
The spine (1,6 and 7) will take time to gel, bet there isn't another SL team that will start the season with three new players in those positions.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4779No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200816 years2nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 24 07:4123rd May 24 14:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pre-season. : Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:12 am  
Dave K. wrote:
The spine (1,6 and 7) will take time to gel, bet there isn't another SL team that will start the season with three new players in those positions.

Leeds :CURTAIN:
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24666No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200321 years1st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pre-season. : Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:37 am  
mwindass wrote:

Good spot that, also a new 9.

Be intresting to see what Smith does, but I do agree with a few posters we need more at 13 than just drive, think we have enough good forward from our props, someone with some short of ball handling skills. I'd go with this first game

Walker
Martin
Carlos
Sutcliffe
Martin
Hoy
Brown
Ese'ese
Houghton
Fash
Okunbor
Ashworth
J Brown

Smith
Sao
Pele
Gardiner

Fully expect Cator to be in the 17.

Feel Jack Brown has a bit more ball handling skills.

Other option would be

6 Hoy
7 Smith
13 F Brown

Not sure Balmforth is fully fit.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2320
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 201113 years37th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 24 10:0421st May 24 21:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pre-season. : Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:53 am  
Dave K. wrote:
Good spot that, also a new 9.

Be intresting to see what Smith does, but I do agree with a few posters we need more at 13 than just drive, think we have enough good forward from our props, someone with some short of ball handling skills. I'd go with this first game

Walker
Martin
Carlos
Sutcliffe
Martin
Hoy
Brown
Ese'ese
Houghton
Fash
Okunbor
Ashworth
J Brown

Smith
Sao
Pele
Gardiner

Fully expect Cator to be in the 17.

Feel Jack Brown has a bit more ball handling skills.

Other option would be

6 Hoy
7 Smith
13 F Brown

Not sure Balmforth is fully fit.

Martin’s going to be busy playing both wings?
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24666No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200321 years1st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pre-season. : Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:05 am  
Armavinit wrote:
Martin’s going to be busy playing both wings?

I manage to that everytime :lol:

Just can't face writing Mcintosh, but he's our best option unless they go with Scott.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2679
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 26 200915 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 24 09:4523rd May 24 08:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
OLD FAITHFUL

Re: Pre-season. : Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:40 am  
mwindass wrote:

You only have to read the Leeds forum and see what they are saying after the Rovers game, how having a quality 6,7 and 9 has made a massive difference.

We have a full back at 6, hooker at 7, an ageing 9 and a loose forward as our interchage 9.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Quality of Recruitment
Uncle Rico
1m
Rumours thread
BackSeatCoac
4m
Batley A