Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:22 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 16918
Location: Olicana - Home of 'Vark Slayer
Mild Rover wrote:The Conservatives’ mandate is very weak and the new leader taking it on second hand is not going to be in a strong position. His party won’t allow a deal, Parliament won’t allow no deal, a general election would be massively unpredictable with the Brexit Party and committed Remain parties taking votes from the Conservatives and Labour, and a second referendum would likely be close enough to not solve the problem. Stalemate.

Clumsy, ugly and potentially disasterous as it will be, maybe it needs someone like Johnson to bring it to a head, and see how it falls out. Or maybe he’ll just tie himself and us in even more Gordian knots.

We really have made a right pig’s ear of this.


I'm not disagreeing with much of that. Johnson doesn't give a toss; he lies to his family, lies to the populace & will be immune to any fall out. Seeing supposedly ethical colleagues lining up behind him to be seen to be supporting the victor & secure a prominent position in the new cabinet is vomit inducing. It reaffirms to me Brexit is all about forriners not democracy.






The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:42 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 437
Location: Warrington
tigertot wrote:I'm not disagreeing with much of that. Johnson doesn't give a toss; he lies to his family, lies to the populace & will be immune to any fall out. Seeing supposedly ethical colleagues lining up behind him to be seen to be supporting the victor & secure a prominent position in the new cabinet is vomit inducing. It reaffirms to me Brexit is all about forriners not democracy.


I have yet to meet a politician who doesn't lie to the populace when it suits, What Brexit has reaffirmed to me is that we don't live in an open democracy as some will advocate, we live in a parliamentary democracy, god help us with this shower what ever party.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:50 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 16918
Location: Olicana - Home of 'Vark Slayer
POSTL wrote:I have yet to meet a politician who doesn't lie to the populace when it suits,

I have to believe there are good people on all sides; far more on the left obviously....
Quote:What Brexit has reaffirmed to me is that we don't live in an open democracy as some will advocate, we live in a parliamentary democracy, god help us with this shower what ever party.

I agree with that & this is what the dischuffed & disenfranchised should be putting their frustrations into. Taking central power from London & giving it to the regions for all but national & international strategic decisions. Getting people to believe they can truly influence politics.






The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 3493
tigertot wrote:Strange how silent the Brexiteers are over the threat to democracy when 0.0005% of the population are currently deciding who will 'lead' this country for the next few years.

Writing about the Labour prime minister Gordon Brown, who took over from Tony Blair without an election, this is what Boris Johnson said;

“It’s the arrogance. It’s the contempt. That’s what gets me. It’s Gordon Brown’s apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people. It’s at moments like this that I think the political world has gone mad, and I am alone in detecting the gigantic fraud.”

“They voted for Anthony Charles Lynton Blair to serve as their leader. They were at no stage invited to vote on whether Gordon Brown should be PM… They voted for Tony, and yet they now get Gordon, and a transition about as democratically proper as the transition from Claudius to Nero. It is a scandal. Why are we all conniving in this stitch-up? This is nothing less than a palace coup… with North Korean servility, the Labour Party has handed power over to the brooding Scottish power-maniac.”
“The extraordinary thing is that it looks as though he will now be in 10 Downing Street for three years, and without a mandate from the British people. No one elected Gordon Brown as Prime Minister”

“Gordon Brown could appease public indignation over that, and secure the democratic mandate he needs, by asking the public to vote at once on him, on the new EU treaty, and on the implications of the devolutionary settlement. Let’s have an election without delay.”

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:33 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 437
Location: Warrington
Mild Rover wrote:The Conservatives’ mandate is very weak and the new leader taking it on second hand is not going to be in a strong position. His party won’t allow a deal, Parliament won’t allow no deal, a general election would be massively unpredictable with the Brexit Party and committed Remain parties taking votes from the Conservatives and Labour, and a second referendum would likely be close enough to not solve the problem. Stalemate.

Clumsy, ugly and potentially disasterous as it will be, maybe it needs someone like Johnson to bring it to a head, and see how it falls out. Or maybe he’ll just tie himself and us in even more Gordian knots.

We really have made a right pig’s ear of this.


Couldn't agree more, add to that Labour won't allow a deal what ever as it might be as a way of getting a general election. It was said on Politics live today that the only thing Johnson is hoping to renegotiate with the EU is the backstop. So it looks like the status quo will continue.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:38 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11136
Location: Leicestershire.
POSTL wrote:Couldn't agree more, add to that Labour won't allow a deal what ever as it might be as a way of getting a general election. It was said on Politics live today that the only thing Johnson is hoping to renegotiate with the EU is the backstop. So it looks like the status quo will continue.


Until the 31st of October. :)

I don’t think the EU will allow another extension, at least anything more than a very short one to finalise something. So, one way or another, a choice will finally have to be made.






'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 29727
Location: The Corridor of Uncertainty
The plan will be to allow Europe to let us go without an extension then blame them for all the resulting fallout. That'll be the only way they can spin it if it all goes wrong.






"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12173
Mild Rover wrote:Until the 31st of October. :)

I don’t think the EU will allow another extension, at least anything more than a very short one to finalise something. So, one way or another, a choice will finally have to be made.


I think that you are wrong regarding a short extension, well kind of.
They would almost certainly allow a short technical extension.
However, for anything else they would more likely insist on a couple of years (at least).

No matter which side of the Brexit argument you are aligned to, Mrs May has played a truly shocking hand, which just about prevents any further short extension (other than a "technical" one).
With Boris almost certain to be in the big chair, I expect that he will demand a change to the "backstop" and tell the EU that without a change to this, we will go full steam ahead for a "no deal" on Halloween and right now, with how the country is and despite my personal preference of "remain", I believe that this is the only real option left.
The Tories will all fall into line and with the "help" of a few Labour "leave" MP's, this will see the first part of the Brexit bill over the line, just.
The alternative for the Tories would be a general election, which will ensure that there are very, very few, Tory rebels.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 401
And as well as having no mandate from the people , one of these two jerks gets to become PM supported by a NI terrorist group. :CRAZY:

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Next Tory Leader / Prime Minister
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:47 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 2921
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48721211
Move along....nothing to see here......given the old pussy grabber was elected to the white House, no doubt this "domestic" will endear him to the Tory faithful






JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next





It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:20 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cronus, Google [Bot], Jake the Peg and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:20 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,968,54176877,8504,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Sat 26th Oct 08:00
GB
TONGA
v
GB LIONS
Sat 2nd Nov 04:00
GB
NEW ZEALAND
v
GB LIONS
Sat 9th Nov 07:00
GB
NEW ZEALAND
v
GB LIONS
Sat 16th Nov 07:30
GB
PNG
v
GB LIONS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





11

.