FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - coronavirus and sport ?
::Off-topic discussion.
WIZEB 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12573
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 23 200915 years42nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Jun 24 08:2127th Jun 24 07:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:07 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:

It will only be a few days before they have pictures of Boris coming to the rescue on a white stallion, after all, he loves a good photo opportunity.

Nothing wrong with a furtive imagination? :D
The closest that pudding would come is a donkey on Blackpool beach whilst adorning a kiss me quick hat.
And then the eejit would probably end up on his @rse in the sand.
Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Dec 20 18:2622nd Jun 20 21:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:25 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
I agree with YOUR post.
However, it was during the daily Coronavirus updates, where our government spokesmen, plus Patel :oops: assured everyone watching that there was no problem with supply, only an issue with distribution - you do remember that, dont you ?
We were then told that "everybody hade enough PPE but, some weren't using it correctly and that it was THIS that had caused some shortages - again, you must remember this.

I do. What he said was there was "enough PPE to go around, but only if it’s used in line with our guidance." Guidance which is very detailed and very specific for very good reason.

As he explained (but which is ignored), this is entirely in line with WHO guidance, which called for the "rational and appropriate use of PPE in healthcare settings". There is a specific guideance to "Ensure PPE use is rationalized and appropriate." (pdf)

Although there has been an admission that the situation has been challenging, there is still no admission of ANY shortages, despite some hospitals and especially care homes, clearly not having the right numbers and or the right types of PPE.

They have, many times, admitted issues and delays with distribution. A sudden increase from 226 delivery locations to 58,000+ will do that. At that time and until the last few days we haven't had a shortage of supply in the country so why would they admit shortages when the problem is distribution - something they have clarified and admitted to several times.

However - I do expect we will start to see genuine gaps as the existing UK pandemic stockpile diminishes and the global shortage and disruption to supply lines bite hard. We've seen several shipments from China turn out to be junk, and a shipment from Turkey delayed a few days at a critical time. Locally sourced supplies will help but this is a global problem, hence guidance is shifting and reusing items where they can be safely cleaned and reused is now recommended as an option of last resort.

As for the lockdown and people complying, personally, I think that the vast, vast majority are doing ok.

There are people out walking, taking exercise that would usually be happy to be in front of the TV but, overall, I dont think that people are doing too badly.

We are of course, only in the first stage of this, trying to "flatten the curve" to enable the NHS to cope.
What could and should happen next is difficult to imagine.

There are 100,000 people furloughed, 1000's laid off and businesses collapsing already and the exit, although not anything like in terms of loss of life, will adversely affect 1,000,000's of the population.

You rightly point out that some other nations people will be far more compliant and accepting of their fete than "us" and you only have to glance "over the pond" to see what may be happening here quite soon - thankfully our social care and benefits system, although a long way from perfect, is streets ahead of them but, many, many tough years lay ahead, for all of us

I think you underestimate the numbers. There are likely to be more than 9 million furloughed, many tens of thousands have already lost jobs and thousands of businesses have already gone, with more to come.

My company has gone from around £35m turnover per month to probably £100k. I don't know as I've been on furlough for 3 weeks (after a promotion and 30% pay rise in January :DOH:). The government scheme has saved my job and around 180 of my colleagues until at least 1st July and then we can only hope things are picking up. If the government are still ordering a lockdown at that point the furlough scheme will again have to be extended further.

I agree, the vast majority are doing well. But I still see loads of road traffic, large numbers of people out, gangs of teens, families gathering for BBQs and whatever. And I've seen dozens of well-meaning social media posts such as "so proud of <insert child>, she's delivered <insert number> of <insert item> around the <insert community/location>". That's lovely Karen, but wtf - you're in the middle of a global pandemic under government instruction to stay the fck at home, not to be taking your offspring out to potentially distribute the virus across your community. Engage your brain, Karen.

Today's numbers are a vast improvement and we appear to be past the peak although it's not wise to jump to conclusions too early. That said, we do appear to be going into the longer, slowly declining part of the 'curve'. At no point has NHS capacity been exceeded, which was the main goal of the strategy. Either way it's still far too soon to think about emerging from the lockdown.

There's a lot of stock being placed in a possible vaccine at the Oxford Vaccine Group and Jenner Institute, with scientists boldly claiming they already know it works. If that's the case we could see it being distributed in a matter of months rather than years. Let's hope that's the case.
wrencat1873 wrote:
I agree with YOUR post.
However, it was during the daily Coronavirus updates, where our government spokesmen, plus Patel :oops: assured everyone watching that there was no problem with supply, only an issue with distribution - you do remember that, dont you ?
We were then told that "everybody hade enough PPE but, some weren't using it correctly and that it was THIS that had caused some shortages - again, you must remember this.

I do. What he said was there was "enough PPE to go around, but only if it’s used in line with our guidance." Guidance which is very detailed and very specific for very good reason.

As he explained (but which is ignored), this is entirely in line with WHO guidance, which called for the "rational and appropriate use of PPE in healthcare settings". There is a specific guideance to "Ensure PPE use is rationalized and appropriate." (pdf)

Although there has been an admission that the situation has been challenging, there is still no admission of ANY shortages, despite some hospitals and especially care homes, clearly not having the right numbers and or the right types of PPE.

They have, many times, admitted issues and delays with distribution. A sudden increase from 226 delivery locations to 58,000+ will do that. At that time and until the last few days we haven't had a shortage of supply in the country so why would they admit shortages when the problem is distribution - something they have clarified and admitted to several times.

However - I do expect we will start to see genuine gaps as the existing UK pandemic stockpile diminishes and the global shortage and disruption to supply lines bite hard. We've seen several shipments from China turn out to be junk, and a shipment from Turkey delayed a few days at a critical time. Locally sourced supplies will help but this is a global problem, hence guidance is shifting and reusing items where they can be safely cleaned and reused is now recommended as an option of last resort.

As for the lockdown and people complying, personally, I think that the vast, vast majority are doing ok.

There are people out walking, taking exercise that would usually be happy to be in front of the TV but, overall, I dont think that people are doing too badly.

We are of course, only in the first stage of this, trying to "flatten the curve" to enable the NHS to cope.
What could and should happen next is difficult to imagine.

There are 100,000 people furloughed, 1000's laid off and businesses collapsing already and the exit, although not anything like in terms of loss of life, will adversely affect 1,000,000's of the population.

You rightly point out that some other nations people will be far more compliant and accepting of their fete than "us" and you only have to glance "over the pond" to see what may be happening here quite soon - thankfully our social care and benefits system, although a long way from perfect, is streets ahead of them but, many, many tough years lay ahead, for all of us

I think you underestimate the numbers. There are likely to be more than 9 million furloughed, many tens of thousands have already lost jobs and thousands of businesses have already gone, with more to come.

My company has gone from around £35m turnover per month to probably £100k. I don't know as I've been on furlough for 3 weeks (after a promotion and 30% pay rise in January :DOH:). The government scheme has saved my job and around 180 of my colleagues until at least 1st July and then we can only hope things are picking up. If the government are still ordering a lockdown at that point the furlough scheme will again have to be extended further.

I agree, the vast majority are doing well. But I still see loads of road traffic, large numbers of people out, gangs of teens, families gathering for BBQs and whatever. And I've seen dozens of well-meaning social media posts such as "so proud of <insert child>, she's delivered <insert number> of <insert item> around the <insert community/location>". That's lovely Karen, but wtf - you're in the middle of a global pandemic under government instruction to stay the fck at home, not to be taking your offspring out to potentially distribute the virus across your community. Engage your brain, Karen.

Today's numbers are a vast improvement and we appear to be past the peak although it's not wise to jump to conclusions too early. That said, we do appear to be going into the longer, slowly declining part of the 'curve'. At no point has NHS capacity been exceeded, which was the main goal of the strategy. Either way it's still far too soon to think about emerging from the lockdown.

There's a lot of stock being placed in a possible vaccine at the Oxford Vaccine Group and Jenner Institute, with scientists boldly claiming they already know it works. If that's the case we could see it being distributed in a matter of months rather than years. Let's hope that's the case.
Last edited by Cronus on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1522No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 29 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Jan 22 12:533rd May 20 10:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:57 pm  
The oxford company are going to take the government & tax payers for a very long and expensive ride
Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Dec 20 18:2622nd Jun 20 21:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:59 pm  
Mash Butty wrote:
The oxford company are going to take the government & tax payers for a very long and expensive ride

It's basically Oxford University.
IR80 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 24 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Sep 20 02:4026th Aug 20 00:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:34 am  
a very fine line between accelerating trials and not causing another Therelazimuab type scenario, or Thelidomide... Yes, some organisation will make a lot of money at some point, but the costs of R&D that end up getting nowhere are also significant.
Last edited by IR80 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:56 am  
Can I ask a question on PPE - maybe Bren 2K could answer this - if you are carer who travels from house to house to support those who cannot look after themselves do you need a fresh set of PPE for every visit?
bren2k 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 20 12:495th May 20 08:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:05 am  
Sal Paradise wrote:
Can I ask a question on PPE - maybe Bren 2K could answer this - if you are carer who travels from house to house to support those who cannot look after themselves do you need a fresh set of PPE for every visit?

You most certainly do.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:12 am  
bren2k wrote:
You most certainly do.

How do they converse with the patients if they are in full gear - surely it must be near impossible to bath someone in full gear?

Would we not better moving these vulnerable people into a controlled environment where they can looked after more efficiently and the PPE can be used more efficiently i.e. one set last 12 hours not 12 minutes?
RankPostsTeam
International Star9807No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 01 201014 years56th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 24 07:5718th Jun 24 18:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:47 am  
Is Boris still doing puzzles?
RankPostsTeam
International Star9807No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 01 201014 years56th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 24 07:5718th Jun 24 18:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:49 am  
Steph Curry wrote:
Has the Tory government made massive mistakes with their handling? Yes of course. Mistakes that have resulted in more deaths than was needed. But would labour have done any better? Probably not

This is everything that's up with politics. It always comes back to Labour. 'Would Labour have done any better?', 'Imagine if Labour were in charge'. Steph, they've not been in power for 10 years, this has nothing to do with Labour or Corbyn. Nobody knows how they would have done.
PreviousNext