WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Brexit Anyone? (part 4)

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin Brexit Anyone? (part 4)

Off-topic discussion.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:40 pm  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 17836
Location: On the road
tonyblaidd wrote:
The government has been thwarting Brexit since the vote was declared. They don't want what the majority of the British people want, so in affect they are traitors. That's why they chose remainer May in the first place. The EU is a gravy train that politicians have grown fat on while their consitituents face austerity measurements while at the same time criminals, terrorists, and other wasters come flooding into OUR country with more rights and given council houses with white goods.


Wow - really?

Agree about the MPs doing what they can to thwart Brexit - 6 of them were there yesterday at our expense trying to scupper any deal!!, that also applies to the likes of the BBC and Channel 4 - who in a desperate attempt gave the IRA or what is left of it 15 minutes at the start of last night's program - why!!

Also agree about the gravy train at Brussels - the accounts haven't been signed off for years

The rest is bonkers
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:31 pm  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11727
Location: Leicestershire.
Juncker rules out an extension. Assuming that is the official EU line, it’s over, bar the voting, which can only go one way.

Finally.

Just the FTA to sort now.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:31 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 14337
Junker has ruled out a further Brexit extension so, it's time for Noel Edmunds, deal or no deal, which allows Boris a win /win, although, I've no idea how this would affect or be affected by the Benn act ??
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:01 pm  

User avatarCronus wrote:
Cronus User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:25 pm
Posts: 7152
Location: one day closer to death
wrencat1873 wrote:
Junker has ruled out a further Brexit extension so, it's time for Noel Edmunds, deal or no deal, which allows Boris a win /win, although, I've no idea how this would affect or be affected by the Benn act ??

Exactly what I said would happen: the UK-EU reach an agreement. The EU agrees to reject any further extension. We are therefore leaving on 31st Oct and MPs are now voting for the new deal or no-deal.

As for the Benn act, if Parliament rejects the new deal on Saturday, Boris has to write to the EU and request an extension. Juncker has stated there will be no extension. In that case I imagine the new deal would then be put to Parliament again before 31st Oct.

I see Corbyn has already rejected the deal and urged Labour MPs to do likewise. Does he actually understand what will happen if it doesn't go through?

*waits for the usual person to tell me it's not up to Labour to get it through :roll:
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:18 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 14337
Cronus wrote:
Exactly what I said would happen: the UK-EU reach an agreement. The EU agrees to reject any further extension. We are therefore leaving on 31st Oct and MPs are now voting for the new deal or no-deal.

As for the Benn act, if Parliament rejects the new deal on Saturday, Boris has to write to the EU and request an extension. Juncker has stated there will be no extension. In that case I imagine the new deal would then be put to Parliament again before 31st Oct.

I see Corbyn has already rejected the deal and urged Labour MPs to do likewise. Does he actually understand what will happen if it doesn't go through?

*waits for the usual person to tell me it's not up to Labour to get it through :roll:


It would appear that Junker has gone above his rank and hat it's not within his remit to allow or deny a further extension so, it's as you were.

The "fat lady" has just sat back down
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:17 pm  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1191
Location: Desperation Island
Time for our resident Tories to suddenly abandon all their objections to previous deals and proclaim this a great victory? Despite, as we told Sal the other day, Johnson abandoning everything and everyone to try and get a deal at the last minute.

From a remainer point of view, it's an extreme form of Brexit which is most unfortunate and for which there is no mandate. But at least we have clarity now for what the starting point for the re-accession negotiations in a couple of years will be.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:06 am  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 17836
Location: On the road
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
Time for our resident Tories to suddenly abandon all their objections to previous deals and proclaim this a great victory? Despite, as we told Sal the other day, Johnson abandoning everything and everyone to try and get a deal at the last minute.

From a remainer point of view, it's an extreme form of Brexit which is most unfortunate and for which there is no mandate. But at least we have clarity now for what the starting point for the re-accession negotiations in a couple of years will be.


I don't proclaim it as a great victory - I actually don't think it will it get through the commons tomorrow. It is the best we can hope for given everyone's and I mean everyone's red lines. No deal with all its ramifications has always been for me the only clean break everything else is a fog to one side or the other.

What I don't understand is Labour's view that it is a bad deal because the UK get to decide on its own employment law and environmental policies. They keep saying they will easily win the next GE so they will be able to set employment legislation far more advantageous to workers than anything the EU could legislate for. Same goes for environmental policies. McDonald was on the TV this morning suggesting they could do a better deal with closer ties to the Customs union and the single market and signing up to the EU rights on labour and environmental and the EU were receptive - no wonder they were - its remain without any influence.

They either don't believe they can win a GE or they don't actually believe their own bile on labour rights and environmental. Or just maybe they will do anything to discredit Boris/Tories regardless of the long-term implications for their party or the country. If they vote this down they will be slaughtered at a GE - hopefully this will happen soon.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:00 pm  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11727
Location: Leicestershire.
Unless somebody offers a plan for doing something else, it shouldn’t be voted down, imo.

Just voting no and asking for an extension with no clear purpose would be farcical. That’s not to say it won’t happen, unfortunately.

I’m not a fan of BJ or his deal/plan, but i have to acknowledge it is at least a plan.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:15 pm  

User avatarStrinket wrote:
Strinket User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:44 pm
Posts: 76
Dominic Raab today.

“It’s a great deal for Northern Ireland...they get to keep frictionless trade”.

I suppose we get the politicians we deserve.
Re: Brexit Anyone? (part 4) Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:25 pm  

Father Ted wrote:
Father Ted Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 7797
Does Raab know the significance of NI within the UK? He didn't know the significance of Dover in cross channel frictionless trade.

Johnson was in NI last year and said no Tory Gov't should or would create a border down the Irish Sea. Now he has!

As for looking after the democratic vote of 2016, there was a 1.27m majority on a turnout of 33.5m The 1.27m disappeared a long time ago. So now there is no majority for Leave, no mandate and no reason to Leave.
All good fun. Roll on the next 24 hours.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Sin Bin


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,072,56854678,2254,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts