Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin The Right Wing & Rugby league



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:42 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 438
Location: Warrington
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:Yes, as well as more divided. I find it very difficult to reason with the older, selfish, mostly racist, Brexit voting generation.



Edited and warned for personal abuse Durham Giant

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:06 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 438
Location: Warrington
bren2k wrote:As Will Self wisely said, not everyone who voted to leave is racist, but most racists probably voted to leave; there was a reason it made Mark Francois go even more gammon-hued than normal - because it was true.


I thought it was quite a sweeping and a rather strange statement from Self when he said it on Daily Politics as he obviously didn't know for certain as none of us do. I think he was just trying to wind Francois up and succeeded.

There was no doubt an increase in racists using the referendum result for their brainless moronic behaviour. But I just can't believe there are no racists in the remain camp that equally wouldn't do the same. I'm sure that if all the alleged Anti Semitic MPs in the Labour Party and alleged Islamaphobics in the Tory party all voted to leave we would have left the EU by now.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:32 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 438
Location: Warrington
wrencat1873 wrote:Brexit appeared to validate certain right wing views, especially as the issue was primarily centred around immigration.
However, racism accross society exists in every sport in every country of the world.

Also, social media seems to allow anyone to post something, without any fear of consequence, which does "allow" extremists room to breath.
To counter this. Anything posted on social media is an opinion of one person (age and personality unknown) and there must be occasions where certain people ate "dropping a pebble into the pool", just to watch the ripples, rather than necessarily wanting to promote a certain viewpoint.
However, serious action is taken against people for posting hate / racist messages, it will continue.


Whilst I agree with most of what you say, I disagree that Brexit was centred around immigration. There were lots of reasons people voted to leave the EU and Freedom of movement (not immigration) was just one of them, this country needs immigration that their is no doubt.

Racism does exist in every sport, however, I must say I very rarely if ever come across it in our game.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:14 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 438
Location: Warrington
POSTL wrote:Edited and warned for personal abuse Durham Giant


Oh well, no point me applying for a moderators post then.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 438
Location: Warrington
Call Me God wrote:Wasn't sure if I'd post this here or on the VT, but here is probably better.

Reading a number of threads on RL forums, I have seen an increased right wing rhetoric, that I didn't think existed in the game.
To be clear.....this isn't a racist attitude, but more of a jingoistic one........

Question is. Is England (not Britain) becoming more insular


In what way do you think that England is becoming more insular, we are a multi racial society, but. I don't think we are an integrated society, but that's not just the English.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:23 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 4722
I’d say the whole world is seeing a rise in the far right and it’s an equal and opposite reaction to the rise in the far left. Political correctness and forced multiculturalism have been the catalyst for the rise in right wing views.






Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:40 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12905
POSTL wrote:Whilst I agree with most of what you say, I disagree that Brexit was centred around immigration. There were lots of reasons people voted to leave the EU and Freedom of movement (not immigration) was just one of them, this country needs immigration that their is no doubt.

Racism does exist in every sport, however, I must say I very rarely if ever come across it in our game.


Oh, come on, the whole Brexit remit was to reduce immigration and control our own borders.
By dispensing with freedom of movement, necessarily, immigration (and emigration, at least from the EU nations, will reduce.

Of course, the irony in this is that, immigration will increase from outside the EU and some of those driving the anti EU agenda are massively in favour of this, for a whole host of reasons.

However, immigration was THE no 1 issue in the referendum and to pretend otherwise is somewhat misguided.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:58 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 3615
post wrote:Political correctness and forced multiculturalism have been the catalyst for the rise in right wing views.

Complete rubbish. The parts of the country that are the least diversified, the least multicultural and have the lowest immigration were most in favour of Brexit, for example many costal towns. Where as the areas with the most immigration and that are the most multicultural, such as London were in favour of remaining in the EU.

You could perhaps say a fear of multiculturalism, stoked up by that hypocrite and German passport holder Nigel Farage. However I still don’t believe this to be true. It is a rise in poverty and inequality that has seen the far right gain in popularity. Sadly they give people a scapegoat for the dire situation they find themselves in and too many people go for it.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:08 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12905
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:Complete rubbish. The parts of the country that are the least diversified, the least multicultural and have the lowest immigration were most in favour of Brexit, for example many costal towns. Where as the areas with the most immigration and that are the most multicultural, such as London were in favour of remaining in the EU.

You could perhaps say a fear of multiculturalism, stoked up by that hypocrite and German passport holder Nigel Farage. However I still don’t believe this to be true. It is a rise in poverty and inequality that has seen the far right gain in popularity. Sadly they give people a scapegoat for the dire situation they find themselves in and too many people go for it.


You're almost right.
Scapegoating immigrants s being the cause of many of the country's problems and the anti immigration rhetoric, empowered many closet racists and it was little wonder that was such a huge increase in racial attacks following the referendum.

As for political correctness, of course there is some stuff that is utter nonsense ie blackboards becoming chalk boards etc but, equally, some of the race driven comments that were accepted in the 80, now being off limits are a definite step in the right direction.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 15337
Location: Ossett
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:Sadly they give people a scapegoat for the dire situation they find themselves in and too many people go for it.


Bang on the money - the establishment have played a blinder in convincing the people they've been screwing over for the last 10 years, that the reason for their reduced circumstances is immigration; it's straight out of the Tory playbook - divide and conquer - so that where working class British, Polish and Romanians should be in solidarity, they're actually pitted against each other.

We fall for it every time, thanks in large part to a print media that is owned by non-dom billionaire's with a right wing agenda, and a virtually state-controlled BBC, thanks to a creeping campaign of Tory installed senior officers.

We've been had.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next





It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Devil's Advocate and 64 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,996,3801,83077,9514,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





11

.