Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin The Right Wing & Rugby league



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 4722
A lot of the left wing rhetoric on here is straight out of the left wing play book. On the same lines as only poor thick people don’t like foreigners and immigrants get the blame because of this.

I’d recommend watching a few Jordan Peterson, Peter Hitchens and Christopher Hitchens videos to enlighten or red pill some of you.

To say the most diverse places voted to remain is an outright LIE! Boston, the highest voting leave area at 75% leave is probably the most European driven diverse place in the Country. How do you answer that?

And please don’t bring London into the equation, London is it’s own entity.






Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:07 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 15337
Location: Ossett
post wrote:I’d recommend watching a few Jordan Peterson, Peter Hitchens and Christopher Hitchens videos to enlighten or red pill some of you.


Christopher Hitchens is turning in his grave at being included on that list; he would have eviscerated Jordan Peterson, the same way he did his own significantly less intelligent and talented brother.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:13 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 29728
Location: The Corridor of Uncertainty
In my opinion it’s economic difficulties that have caused increased extremism to both left and right wing parties. The global recession was the cause. That’s the single shared circumstance across all countries.

The effects of that recession have been disastrous. As was the case in the 1930s people that are forced into poverty can reject politics of the centre as the reason they’re in this mess and become more susceptible to populists who provide easy answers.

We all saw where that led.

Unfortunately I can only see increased polarisation coming. Probably even more so after Brexit as the scapegoats of the EU will need replacing with others, probably the poor and the sick.






"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:57 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 3615
Bullseye wrote:In my opinion it’s economic difficulties that have caused increased extremism to both left and right wing parties.

It’s funny our right wing non domicile billionaire owned media love to call left wing policy extreme, when in fact a majority of people are in favour of those very policies which are described as extreme.

For example the public strongly support the fundamental socialist principle of public ownership when it comes to police services (96%), schools (93%), the NHS (89%), the Royal Mail (76%), the railways (71%), the water companies (70%), and the energy companies (63%).

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:04 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11279
Location: Leicestershire.
Charlie Sheen wrote:It's been gradually getting worse since the 2008 financial crisis. Nations always become increasingly right wing after an economic shock.


Yep.

I think there's an element of focus on certain key floating voters in certain swing seats that have left a lot people disillusioned with centrist politics and drift to the fringes, as well.






'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:19 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11279
Location: Leicestershire.
post wrote:
I’d recommend watching a few Jordan Peterson, Peter Hitchens and Christopher Hitchens videos to enlighten or red pill some of you.


I think there's a separate issue around populism and polemicism. Whether it is angry middle-aged men on the right, or comedians like Boyle or Lee on the left, they do a decent job of making ideas accessible. However, these are not great thinkers. Boyle is funny though.

I'd recommend reading some books by non-celebrity authors. And avoiding the red pill metaphor. It sounds like you're recruiting to a cult.






'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:44 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 4722
Mild Rover wrote:I think there's a separate issue around populism and polemicism. Whether it is angry middle-aged men on the right, or comedians like Boyle or Lee on the left, they do a decent job of making ideas accessible. However, these are not great thinkers. Boyle is funny though.

I'd recommend reading some books by non-celebrity authors. And avoiding the red pill metaphor. It sounds like you're recruiting to a cult.


Two great books absolutely turned me off socialism, I’m sure you’ve read them yourself but 1984 and Animal Farm. If they don’t scare you away from the left and the way in which they are steering us then I don’t know what will.






Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:32 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 3615
post wrote:Two great books absolutely turned me off socialism, I’m sure you’ve read them yourself but 1984 and Animal Farm. If they don’t scare you away from the left and the way in which they are steering us then I don’t know what will.

They are George Orwell books, he was a democratic socialist but opposed totalitarianism. The NHS is an example of socialism in action, do you oppose that?

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:14 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11279
Location: Leicestershire.
post wrote:Two great books absolutely turned me off socialism, I’m sure you’ve read them yourself but 1984 and Animal Farm. If they don’t scare you away from the left and the way in which they are steering us then I don’t know what will.


They are very fine books. Obviously though, not many on the left are advocating Stalinism, and I don't think resisting or trying to reverse the growth in inequality inevitably leads to it. 1984, I read more as being about totalitarianism generally, it was more of a fascistic dystopia in many ways.

The arguments put forward by Orwell in The Road to Wigan Pier are broadly of the left.






'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 438
Location: Warrington
wrencat1873 wrote:Oh, come on, the whole Brexit remit was to reduce immigration and control our own borders.
By dispensing with freedom of movement, necessarily, immigration (and emigration, at least from the EU nations, will reduce.

Of course, the irony in this is that, immigration will increase from outside the EU and some of those driving the anti EU agenda are massively in favour of this, for a whole host of reasons.

However, immigration was THE no 1 issue in the referendum and to pretend otherwise is somewhat misguided.


I wasn't going to reply to this as this post is not about Brexit and certainly my reply's have mostly included Brexit and therefore, would like to apologise to the original poster.
However, with respect to you and your post. I'm not sure the whole Brexit remit was about immigration, As the main slogan from the Official Leave campaign which many remain voters love reminding me of was the slogan on the Big Red Bus which was about the amount of money we sent weekly to the EU.

Certainly controlling our own borders with regards the EU and ending freedom of movement was a big part of the referendum result. I'm not sure why you say that immigration WILL increase from outside the EU as a result, the only possible reasons this would happen surely is because, people from the EU would not want to come here, then so be it, or if people from outside the EU would be better suited to what is on offer then again I say so be it.

Most of what I do post are my opinions as most of us don't actually know what will happen if we actually do leave the EU and by that fact you could be right in some of what you say. But in contrast reading your post, you do seem to know what is going to happen.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next





It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:33 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Devil's Advocate and 59 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:33 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,996,3801,83077,9514,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





11

.