Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin The Right Wing & Rugby league

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:42 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Wasn't sure if I'd post this here or on the VT, but here is probably better.

Reading a number of threads on RL forums, I have seen an increased right wing rhetoric, that I didn't think existed in the game.
To be clear.....this isn't a racist attitude, but more of a jingoistic one........

Question is. Is England (not Britain) becoming more insular

JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

Post subject: Re: The Right Wing & Rugby league
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:34 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Call Me God wrote:Question is. Is England (not Britain) becoming more insular

Yes - without question; the conduct of the referendum campaign and subsequent discourse has brought to the surface some really ugly beliefs, that I thought were either a thing of the past, or had become so socially unacceptable that they wouldn't be expressed out loud in most circumstances.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 am 
Stevo's Armpit

I don't think it has become anymore jingoistic than in previous years. It has been that way since before the referendum and I don't think it's confined to England either.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:25 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network

I think views have become polarised but social media and internet forums are quite impersonal and have an unfortunate way of making people behave and speak in a way they wouldn’t in person which polarises things even more. Whether that displays their real thoughts or not is up for debate.

"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:40 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

No.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:11 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Brexit appeared to validate certain right wing views, especially as the issue was primarily centred around immigration.
However, racism accross society exists in every sport in every country of the world.

Also, social media seems to allow anyone to post something, without any fear of consequence, which does "allow" extremists room to breath.
To counter this. Anything posted on social media is an opinion of one person (age and personality unknown) and there must be occasions where certain people ate "dropping a pebble into the pool", just to watch the ripples, rather than necessarily wanting to promote a certain viewpoint.
However, serious action is taken against people for posting hate / racist messages, it will continue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:24 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Call Me God wrote:Question is. Is England (not Britain) becoming more insular

Yes, as well as more divided. I find it very difficult to reason with the older, selfish, mostly racist, Brexit voting generation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

It's been gradually getting worse since the 2008 financial crisis. Nations always become increasingly right wing after an economic shock.

King Monkey wrote:Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:56 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:Yes, as well as more divided. I find it very difficult to reason with the older, selfish, mostly racist, Brexit voting generation.

Probably because,as an ageist,you do not make any effort to reason with either older people,or Brexit voters.

You will probably find,should you attempt to reason with either an elderly person,or a Brexit voter,or both,that younger people voted Brexit,and the older people who voted in the same way,are anything but racist.

Super League wants to be insular.Perhaps that can be addressed,rather than guesswork on other matters.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:02 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Ornery Optimist wrote:You will probably find,should you attempt to reason with either an elderly person,or a Brexit voter,or both,that younger people voted Brexit,and the older people who voted in the same way,are anything but racist.

As Will Self wisely said, not everyone who voted to leave is racist, but most racists probably voted to leave; there was a reason it made Mark Francois go even more gammon-hued than normal - because it was true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:55 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com