WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Social Care

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Sin Bin Social Care

Off-topic discussion.
Social Care Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:45 pm  
Scarlet Pimpernell Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 pm
Posts: 2195
I know this will come as a surprise that despite his promises Johnson was lying he has no plan and is now searching around for ideas. I guess it just shows he will lie to anyone even those worried about their futures in old age.
I look forward to the disgust in the right wing media. I suppose it could be the fault of the previous government, oh wait he was part of it.
Re: Social Care Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:08 pm  

IR80 wrote:
IR80 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:59 am
Posts: 2215
]Do we really need another left wing bias thread...?

SP, what is your personal experience of Social Care, or are ypu just taking your opinion from a slanted opinion piece somewhere?
Re: Social Care Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:42 pm  
Scarlet Pimpernell Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 pm
Posts: 2195
I note you have no defence other than to state irrelevancies. What does my involvement with social care have to do with the fact that once again your great leader continues to lie even to the old.
Can you deny he stated on more than one occasion that he had a plan for social care and now he doesn’t and in fact never did. I wait your reply with facts rather than the usual waffle.
I suppose you could be just gullible who blindly accept everything to be true. I bet you thought that the EU actually required straight bananas or that we had to have the current coloured passports.
Re: Social Care Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:49 pm  

IR80 wrote:
IR80 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:59 am
Posts: 2215
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:
I note you have no defence other than to state irrelevancies. What does my involvement with social care have to do with the fact that once again your great leader continues to lie even to the old.
Can you deny he stated on more than one occasion that he had a plan for social care and now he doesn’t and in fact never did. I wait your reply with facts rather than the usual waffle.
I suppose you could be just gullible who blindly accept everything to be true. I bet you thought that the EU actually required straight bananas or that we had to have the current coloured passports.

So, as expected, no ACtUAL experience, I'll leave the leftie luddites to this one.
Re: Social Care Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:07 pm  
Scarlet Pimpernell Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 pm
Posts: 2195
You are the classic lots to say but none of it relevant to the discussion. I gave you an opportunity to prove me wrong but you can’t, so you just take your ball home or like your mentor run into a fridge.
Re: Social Care Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:11 pm  

IR80 wrote:
IR80 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:59 am
Posts: 2215
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:
You are the classic lots to say but none of it relevant to the discussion. I gave you an opportunity to prove me wrong but you can’t, so you just take your ball home or like your mentor run into a fridge.

you on the beer or something?
Re: Social Care Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:24 pm  
sally cinnamon User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:26 am
Posts: 15692
An all party approach seems sensible, even if it is motivated by cynical aims (ie so it doesn't get seen as a 'Conservative' problem).

I can see social care being a major issue in the 2024 election, and it's one which could hit the Conservatives older voting base. A lot of the 55 to 65 year old generation are now dealing with elderly parents in social care and seeing just how difficult the current situation is. Social care costs will also rise if the loss of migrant workers drives up wages, which will be welcome in a low-wage sector, but someone has to foot the bill.

Either this means that individuals have to meet the costs of their own care (eg from selling their homes) or caring responsibilities should fall to other members of the family, or it needs to be paid for out of higher taxation. Given the huge (unearned) windfalls that people have earned through house price appreciation it's not unreasonable to start there, but that won't be popular with Conservative voters, neither will they like the idea that they are responsible for caring for elderly relatives (why not? other cultures do it?). And of course there will be lots of right wing lobby groups that will pile heat on to the Chancellor if he is tempted to raise taxes.

So it's quite likely that the can will be kicked down the road with the system getting steadily worse until it becomes a real political weakness for the government. If the Conservatives were thinking that there was a chance Labour might come in in 5 years time the best tactic might be to just mark time and let Labour take the unpopular decisions required to sort it out, and then attack them for it, but as they are probably thinking of a 10 year stint in power if not 15, they will have to address it themselves at some point.
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016
Re: Social Care Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:04 am  

User avatarSal Paradise wrote:
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 17985
Location: On the road
sally cinnamon wrote:
An all party approach seems sensible, even if it is motivated by cynical aims (ie so it doesn't get seen as a 'Conservative' problem).

I can see social care being a major issue in the 2024 election, and it's one which could hit the Conservatives older voting base. A lot of the 55 to 65 year old generation are now dealing with elderly parents in social care and seeing just how difficult the current situation is. Social care costs will also rise if the loss of migrant workers drives up wages, which will be welcome in a low-wage sector, but someone has to foot the bill.

Either this means that individuals have to meet the costs of their own care (eg from selling their homes) or caring responsibilities should fall to other members of the family, or it needs to be paid for out of higher taxation. Given the huge (unearned) windfalls that people have earned through house price appreciation it's not unreasonable to start there, but that won't be popular with Conservative voters, neither will they like the idea that they are responsible for caring for elderly relatives (why not? other cultures do it?). And of course there will be lots of right wing lobby groups that will pile heat on to the Chancellor if he is tempted to raise taxes.

So it's quite likely that the can will be kicked down the road with the system getting steadily worse until it becomes a real political weakness for the government. If the Conservatives were thinking that there was a chance Labour might come in in 5 years time the best tactic might be to just mark time and let Labour take the unpopular decisions required to sort it out, and then attack them for it, but as they are probably thinking of a 10 year stint in power if not 15, they will have to address it themselves at some point.


Why should anyone was has bought their own property be at a disadvantage in having to pay for their care compared to someone who hasn't. Yes their will have some gains - especially in London - not that much in Yorkshire but they will have paid approx. 3 times the original purchase price on their mortgage. That doesn't seem equitable to me.
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Re: Social Care Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:12 pm  

User avatarbren2k wrote:
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 15521
Location: Ossett
IR80 wrote:
]Do we really need another left wing bias thread...?

SP, what is your personal experience of Social Care, or are ypu just taking your opinion from a slanted opinion piece somewhere?


Ok - this is very much in my bailiwick; what specific questions do you have about adult social care?
Re: Social Care Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:35 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15273
Sal Paradise wrote:
Why should anyone was has bought their own property be at a disadvantage in having to pay for their care compared to someone who hasn't. Yes their will have some gains - especially in London - not that much in Yorkshire but they will have paid approx. 3 times the original purchase price on their mortgage. That doesn't seem equitable to me.


It's quite a strange situation, almost a role reversal, whereby people with hugely valuable asset's expect someone else to pay for their care in old age when, if they cashed in their property, they could live in luxury through their old age and not burden the rest of us.

As things are, the taxpayer has to cover the cost of the wealthy so they can hang on to their most prized asset ??
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jack Burton and 53 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Sin Bin


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,118,63983978,4374,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X