Oct 07 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Jan 20 20:507th Jan 20 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: More Tory Lies : Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:19 am  
Cronus wrote:
For someone who lists 'history' amongst his hobbies you're not so hot on the fact-checking, as proven on your syllabus post.

There is a single tenuous link to royalty via one of his paternal great-great-grandmothers, who may or may not have been the illegitimate daughter of Prince Paul of Württemberg (a duchy, only elevated to kingdom status by Napoleon Bonaparte when it joined his Confederation of the Rhine). Being illegitimate doesn't really provide much of an advantage.

The Turkish link is a paternal great-grandparent - Ali Kemal - a journalist and later politician, who was stoned to death for opposing Ataturk. Not royalty.

Also on his paternal side one of the other great-grandparents hails from the Pfeffel family - certainly a successful bunch - but again, not royalty.

On his maternal side the ancestral mix is interesting, but definitely no royalty in there.

I'm not saying his family doesn't have some middle-upper class roots, and his father certainly moves in 'upper' circles having been successful in his own right (after starting out as a sheep farmer). But stating "he's from German/Turkish royalty" is simply not true.

As for the "imaginary degree", he gained an Upper Second Class Honours in the School of Literae Humaniores, more widely known as 'Classics' or 'Greats' - considered one of the hardest degrees Oxford offers and the degree the very best scholars tend to go for. For a start, fluent knowledge of Latin and Ancient Greek is required. I dare say you have achieved better?

Your use of google is worthy of a 2nd....my knowledge of Latin is that I am pretty much fluent, but my greek is zero and my point, which you attempt to decry is still valid. BoJo is not a man of the people and his "scholarship" was one not open to common folk. His Grandparents were both literary and read folk...every family has a sheep farmer in it....not many were publishing books a decade before they entered politics...and not many attended Sherborne School...another Boarding School.....with firm ties to ETON.....who issued the friendly scholarship.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years196th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 18:4914th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: More Tory Lies : Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 am  
Cronus wrote:
Your final paragraph is utter nonsense. I couldn't care less who is in charge - I don't suffer from politics of envy - as long as they do a good job along the lines I believe in.

And just what lines of Johnson's do you believe in? The only believable thing about Johnson is that he's a proven liar, and a calculated act.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 18:2314th Apr 24 09:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: More Tory Lies : Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 am  
Cronus wrote:

Your final paragraph is utter nonsense. I couldn't care less who is in charge - I don't suffer from politics of envy - as long as they do a good job along the lines I believe in.

Do you consider that any of the three leaders in the last 3 years have actually done a "good job" ?
Cameron gave us a referendum, to (ironically) prevent his own party from splitting.
May, was just a wind bag and achieved nothing and Boris, just seems like a fantasist and again, apart from mickeying away his very slender majority, has yet to achieve anything, apart from fabricating promises, all of which have been proven to be somewhat exaggerated.

With Corbyn "leading" the opposition, what choice do we actually have - it's just depressing.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: More Tory Lies : Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Do you consider that any of the three leaders in the last 3 years have actually done a "good job" ?
Cameron gave us a referendum, to (ironically) prevent his own party from splitting.
May, was just a wind bag and achieved nothing and Boris, just seems like a fantasist and again, apart from mickeying away his very slender majority, has yet to achieve anything, apart from fabricating promises, all of which have been proven to be somewhat exaggerated.

With Corbyn "leading" the opposition, what choice do we actually have - it's just depressing.

What chance has Boris had - he simply cannot get anything through Parliament and the whole political system is stymied until we move on one way or another on Brexit.
Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Dec 20 18:2622nd Jun 20 21:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: More Tory Lies : Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:49 pm  
AXE2GRIND wrote:
Your use of google is worthy of a 2nd....my knowledge of Latin is that I am pretty much fluent, but my greek is zero and my point, which you attempt to decry is still valid. BoJo is not a man of the people and his "scholarship" was one not open to common folk. His Grandparents were both literary and read folk...every family has a sheep farmer in it....not many were publishing books a decade before they entered politics...and not many attended Sherborne School...another Boarding School.....with firm ties to ETON.....who issued the friendly scholarship.

After your recent posts I'm not sure I believe anything you say. Tu loqueris stercora. :lol:

As I've already said, you stated something I hadn't heard before and when that happens I like to look into things. Now, you might use 'Ask Jeeves' but most folk turn to Google. And the reason I hadn't heard it before is because it simply isn't true. You either lap up everything you hear on social media or you're telling lies to suit your agenda, or both.

My understanding is that anyone can apply for the notoriously difficult King's Scholarship although I'm not blind to the fact most will come from certain prep schools (happy to be corrected on any of this).

And so what if his family has been successful in various fields? Yes, the wealthy and successful will go to the best schools. So? Or are you suggesting they've all had everything handed to them on a silver platter? True, he got a couple of early journalist jobs through connections and acquaintances - no different to "son, my mate owns a garage, I've got you a job as a trainee". But he still had to work for his impressive academic achievements and to get where he is today.

You smack of envy, nothing more.
Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Dec 20 18:2622nd Jun 20 21:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: More Tory Lies : Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:11 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:

I didn't say they had done a particularly good job, although referendum aside Cameron was a reasonably good PM, May never had chance to do anything except be frustrated at every turn - even if in hindsight her approach to the EU was far too 'softly-softly' and she undermined her Brexit team. Boris has been in office for 5 minutes and hasn't had much chance to do anything yet, though with a minority government he still got the Withdrawal Bill through.

If he gets a majority and the opportunity to actually govern, I'll judge him by his record in 4-5 years. So far he's done ok.

And yes, you're correct about Corbyn. In fact Corbyn, Swinson, whoever the hell is up for the Greens or Brexit - none should ever get a sniff of No.10.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: More Tory Lies : Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am  
Sal Paradise wrote:
What chance has Boris had - he simply cannot get anything through Parliament and the whole political system is stymied until we move on one way or another on Brexit.

You are an extremely forgiving person.
Firstly, Boris and his friends in the ERG could have helped ensure that May's deal got through and then, having ensured that May had to go, he PROMISED, DO OR DIE, that we would be out at the end of October, in the full knowledge of how parliament was paralysed and now, he is trying to do EXACTLY the same as Mrs May and go for a quick land grab so that the can DICTATE his own laws.

100 years since the first remembrance service and our fractured country, along with parts of Europe is moving ever further to the right and it does seem that some people have indeed "forgotten" how dangerous the extremists actually are.

We have Trump in the states, looking after the "Whites" first and a racist xenophobic Prime Minister over here already walking uncomfortably with Trumps hand very firmly up his backside.

Already, we are leaving our kids in a position where they will be financially less well off than their parents and now we give them Trump and Johnson. :CRAZY:
IR80 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 24 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Sep 20 02:4026th Aug 20 00:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: More Tory Lies : Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:21 am  
wrencat1873 wrote:
You are an extremely forgiving person.
Firstly, Boris and his friends in the ERG could have helped ensure that May's deal got through and then, having ensured that May had to go, he PROMISED, DO OR DIE, that we would be out at the end of October, in the full knowledge of how parliament was paralysed and now, he is trying to do EXACTLY the same as Mrs May and go for a quick land grab so that the can DICTATE his own laws.

100 years since the first remembrance service and our fractured country, along with parts of Europe is moving ever further to the right and it does seem that some people have indeed "forgotten" how dangerous the extremists actually are.

We have Trump in the states, looking after the "Whites" first and a racist xenophobic Prime Minister over here already walking uncomfortably with Trumps hand very firmly up his backside.

Already, we are leaving our kids in a position where they will be financially less well off than their parents and now we give them Trump and Johnson. :CRAZY:

Even more codswallop!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: More Tory Lies : Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:53 am  
IR80 wrote:
Even more codswallop!

Care to elaborate or is that the best you can do ?
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years196th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 18:4914th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: More Tory Lies : Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:03 pm  
IR80 wrote:
Even more codswallop!

You dismiss everything everyone says. What do YOU think will happen?
PreviousNext