JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:08 am  
ColD wrote:
Difficult to maintain same teaching standards obviously, but looking to maintain online teaching both individually and groups to maintain the current curriculum as much as possible is no easy task.

In addition to the above, due to most schools being of different size and layout there is/was no set structure for the return- so along with trying to maintain day to day teaching they had to plan, propose and get agreed the class teaching structure under the new Covid rules - pupils didn’t just rock up at the beginning of September, an aweful lot of planning goes into trying to make it work, and even now schools as a whole and individual lessons change daily, whole years being sent home for 14 days so different online teaching techniques required, and completely different structure for those who do attend school.

No easy task - they most certainly have not been twiddling there thumbs for the last few months, and of course dealing with the change in pupils mental attitude to boot - sure a lot of people have the same concept as you but it couldn’t be further from the truth

The point I made was less teaching happened a conservative estimate suggests a drop of c70% so what were those doing whilst they were still being paid 100% of their salary?

How was it that private schools managed near replication of the in house classroom yet the public sector only managed a fraction? Could it be that because private schools charge they had to step up? Sadly we all pay but that seems to be lost on the teaching profession.

In August the teaching unions were complaining that schools were ready to take pupils back - that's strange - the schools had had 6 months to prepare but actually did nothing for 5 of those months - most teachers enjoyed kicking back, partying etc.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years199th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 17:4914th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:11 am  
Sal Paradise wrote:
Are you saying they were forced to only offer minimal teaching between March and September?

You're so predicatble in your blaming of public sector workers. I actually think you have some sort of personal vendetta. Did a teacher or nurse once knock you back on a date?

The school where I'm based had 60 teaching staff volunteer to come into school, to carry on physical teaching, because they expected hundreds of kids would have nobody at home to look after them in lockdown due to work commitments. When the school was reopened for the kids of key workers and vulnerable children to attend, how many do you think turned up? Bearing in mind the school has a capacity of 2200 kids you'd expect a decent percenatge. The number of kids just about hit double figures. Now, see if you can work out whose decision it was for the other 2190 kids not being in school. The government closed schools to all but key worker and vulnerable kids. They also directed anyone who could work at home to work at home. Some parents could have sent their kids to school but chose not to. Are you suggesting teachers should have been round at kids houses, knocking on their doors and dragging them into school?
Last edited by King Street Cat on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years199th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:25 am  
Sal Paradise wrote:
The point I made was less teaching happened a conservative estimate suggests a drop of c70% so what were those doing whilst they were still being paid 100% of their salary?

How was it that private schools managed near replication of the in house classroom yet the public sector only managed a fraction? Could it be that because private schools charge they had to step up? Sadly we all pay but that seems to be lost on the teaching profession.

In August the teaching unions were complaining that schools were ready to take pupils back - that's strange - the schools had had 6 months to prepare but actually did nothing for 5 of those months - most teachers enjoyed kicking back, partying etc.

Utter claptrap.

The trust where I work set up an online teaching facility and staff taught on a rota. Staff who were not in school physically teaching kids were teaching lessons online. There was a vast online resource set up by staff within the first few weeks of lockdown. Some of our staff were even online teaching kids from other schools. There was an online academy set up for the very purpose. Of course, some kids struggled due to lack of equipment or access to the internet, but equipment was provided where possible. The free broadband was a vote loser for Corbyn. Imagine wanting to provide free internet access for kids up and down the country? The rotten old commie.

If staff were 'kicking back, partying', how did all the stuff happen which has made the safe return to schools possible? Classrooms have been reorganised, corridors have been rerouted, screens have been put up, hand sanitising stations have been implemented, the timetables have been rescheduled, the school day has been adjusted. Who do you think did it, the school fairies?

Our trust put all the measures in place, in line with government advice. It was up to the kids to get onboard with the new way of working. For someone who preaches self-reliance, you don't half want the kids backsides wiping for them.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:31 am  
King Street Cat wrote:
You're so predicatble in your blaming of public sector workers. I actually think you have some sort of personal vendetta. Did a teacher or nurse once knock you back on a date?

The school where I'm based had 60 teaching staff volunteer to come into school, to carry on physical teaching, because they expected hundreds of kids would have nobody at home to look after them in lockdown due to work commitments. When the school was reopened for the kids of key workers and vulnerable children to attend, how many do you think turned up? Bearing in mind the school has a capacity of 2200 kids you'd expect a decent percenatge. The number of kids just about hit double figures. Now, see if you can work out whose decision it was for the other 2190 kids not being in school. The government closed schools to all but key worker and vulnerable kids. They also directed anyone who could work at home to work at home. Some parents could have sent their kids to school but chose not to. Are you suggesting teachers should have been round at kids houses, knocking on thier doors and dragging them into school?

So given they didn't have any physical kids to teach - from my experience of the drivers that worked for me - it was near impossible to get your kids into school, unless of course you are Keir Starmer - the only people deemed as critical were employees of the NHS in a clinical position - not many of them really so it is no surprise that very few in your school attended?

You ask most parents how much they enjoyed home schooling - not a lot - do you honestly think most parents - obviously not the woke ones - wouldn't have sent their kids to school if they could - seriously?

So your teachers weren't physically teaching - how many structured lessons were recorded and put on social media for the kids?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 18:2314th Apr 24 09:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:38 am  
Sal Paradise wrote:

Perhaps it's because on the whole, the private schools try and keep their class sizes to around 20 and significantly less in the A level classes.
Therefore, they could almost carry on as they were, with a few "tweaks" here and there.

Compare this to the overcrowded local "comp" with 2500 pupils in cramped conditions and class sizes approaching 40.

You do the math, although, this one isn't too difficult.

Also, pupils at private schools have massively more access to on line services and it's way simpler therefore, to offer a very good standard of on line or "mixed" education.

Which teachers, private or state, do you think have the easiest job or, shall we all keep on kicking employees of the state, you know, like you used to do with NHS staff, until the Thursday evening clap became popular :SUBMISSION:
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:45 am  
King Street Cat wrote:
Utter claptrap.

The trust where I work set up an online teaching facility and staff taught on a rota. Staff who were not in school physically teaching kids were teaching lessons online. There was a vast online resource set up by staff within the first few weeks of lockdown. Some of our staff were even online teaching kids from other schools. There was an online academy set up for the very purpose. Of course, some kids struggled due to lack of equipment or access to the internet, but equipment was provided where possible. The free broadband was a vote loser for Corbyn. Imagine wanting to provide free internet access for kids up and down the country? The rotten old commie.

If staff were 'kicking back, partying', how did all the stuff happen which has made the safe return to schools possible? Classrooms have been reorganised, corridors have been rerouted, screens have been put up, hand sanitising stations have been implemented, the timetables have been rescheduled, the school day has been adjusted. Who do you think did it, the school fairies?

Our trust put all the measures in place, in line with government advice. It was up to the kids to get onboard with the new way of working. For someone who preaches self-reliance, you don't half want the kids backsides wiping for them.

So how was it that given everything you said that lessons were so scant i.e. 6 hours a week? If some teachers were teaching other school kids what were their teachers doing? So an online academy would have required significantly less resource - 1 teacher could in theory deliver a lesson to hundreds of kids - rather than tens of teachers delivering the same lesson to those kids?

So why by August were the schools not ready for pupils to return - they had after all had 5 months to get this sorted?

Kids are kids its up to the adults to show the way surely not the other way round - hearts and minds in management speak?

Are you seriously suggesting all teachers were working equally as hard as they were before lockdown?
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:57 am  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Perhaps it's because on the whole, the private schools try and keep their class sizes to around 20 and significantly less in the A level classes.
Therefore, they could almost carry on as they were, with a few "tweaks" here and there.

Compare this to the overcrowded local "comp" with 2500 pupils in cramped conditions and class sizes approaching 40.

You do the math, although, this one isn't too difficult.

Also, pupils at private schools have massively more access to on line services and it's way simpler therefore, to offer a very good standard of on line or "mixed" education.

Which teachers, private or state, do you think have the easiest job or, shall we all keep on kicking employees of the state, you know, like you used to do with NHS staff, until the Thursday evening clap became popular :SUBMISSION:

I would suggest you are wrong about the class sizes Eton has close to 2,000 pupils in a building that can hardly be called modern as would be the case for the majority of private schools. Bradford Grammar my old school is in a building that is nearly 400 years old.

I take you point about the challenges of educating children - but that is no excuse by your own admission the teachers didn't have kids coming in to school so a good majority just switched off.

On the NHS you show me where I have said clinical staff are overpaid and underworked - if you can't could I suggest you refrain?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200618 years65th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 23 22:1119th Feb 23 21:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:18 am  
Jeez this is getting embarrassing now.

Not a surprise that the poster involved went to a second tier private school. I'm no psychologist but it would explain the insecurity, the seeming lack of awareness that they got a leg up from the start and the apparent lack of exposure to anyone who actually lives in the real world.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years199th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:20 am  
Sal Paradise wrote:
I would suggest you are wrong about the class sizes Eton has close to 2,000 pupils in a building that can hardly be called modern as would be the case for the majority of private schools.

How many physical lessons were taught in these schools during lockdown? How many kids physically attended private schools? You seem to be under the illusion that private schools just carried on as normal.

https://www.etoncollege.com/blog/lessons-from-lockdown-a-springboard-for-digitally-enhanced-learning/
Sal Paradise wrote:
I would suggest you are wrong about the class sizes Eton has close to 2,000 pupils in a building that can hardly be called modern as would be the case for the majority of private schools.

How many physical lessons were taught in these schools during lockdown? How many kids physically attended private schools? You seem to be under the illusion that private schools just carried on as normal.

https://www.etoncollege.com/blog/lessons-from-lockdown-a-springboard-for-digitally-enhanced-learning/
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years199th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: World-beating test and trace system : Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:33 am  
Sal Paradise wrote:
the only people deemed as critical were employees of the NHS in a clinical position - not many of them really so it is no surprise that very few in your school attended?

Just not true. Which alternative reality do you inhabit?!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision
Sal Paradise wrote:
the only people deemed as critical were employees of the NHS in a clinical position - not many of them really so it is no surprise that very few in your school attended?

Just not true. Which alternative reality do you inhabit?!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision
PreviousNext