JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200520 years53rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Oct 24 09:129th Oct 24 18:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ― Abraham Lincoln

2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:48 am  
Just wanted to give my general view on how the season has gone and how the players in the squad went on so will start with the players:-

Ryan Fieldhouse - The clubs top tryscorer and looks like he has a real eye for the try line. Last season he looked like he had bags of potential and could kick on this season. Although his record speaks volumes at times he has looked short of confidence maybe because he seems to be one of a few individuals who gets dropped for every little mistake he makes. Room for improvement but the potential is still obviously there. 7/10

Rob Worrincy - For me up there with the best wingers in the league, for KH another fall guy. Im at a total loss as to why he hasnt played the last few games and think the injury smokescreen is BS. Another player who with a bit of work has the potential to kick on and do well in the game. Makes more yards then our other wingers, earns more penalties than any other player in the team with his quick play the balls. Again theres areas he could do better but I feel if he wants to improve then he is playing under the wrong coach. 6/10

Steve Tyrer - Started the season slowly and was probably rightfully dropped but has got better as the year has gone on. He does seem to have the odd defensive lapse in his game but its something the coaching staff should be working on in the off season now they have had a lot of time with most of the players. Would be nice to see him have a bit more ball but that was never going to happen this season. I think he could have a good year for us next season. 7/10

Lee Patterson - He has been a really good servant to the club and is Mr dependable. He will not let you down but as I said earlier in the season its probably the right time for him to move on as I think we can attract better players to fill his role. I think he will do a very good job at a lower team in this division. 5/10

Wayne Rettie - Another who has got better as the year has gone on. He does not make too many mistakes and although not your typical try scoring winger he does get through a lot of hard graft that others may shirk. His style fits very much in to KH`s game plan. As for areas to improve it would be nice to see him maybe go around someone instead of through them because he certainly isnt short of pace. 7/10

Ben Heaton - possibly the only player under KH to show any improvement and I actually think he can kick on and become a bit of a beast of a centre at this level. He has shown in the games against Sheffield how he can go well against the best in the league. He cant pass a ball though and the coaching staff should be working with him on that in the off season, again though it does not really matter at the moment with out style of play. Expecting a big season off him next year. 7/10

Rikki Sheriffe - At of a bit of a loss what to say really on him. Im a bit stuck as to what he offers the team that others don't. He was caught wanting so many times on Thursday and for me it was kind of summed up when he dropped that ball with open field in front of him. If he takes it he has a free run but we all said he would not have got there. If it were Worrincy theres a chance he still drops the ball but you could bet your last pound that if he does catch it he scores under the sticks. Ive heard he has been offered another contract but I hope it isn't true because we can do so much better. 5/10

Mick Nanyn - who? Got fit sent out on loan when he could maybe have been an asset for us. Not sure on the thinking behind that really.

Paul Handforth - This was probably a season too far for him at Fax. I think he was a touch unlucky that his best position for us has been at hooker and he looked good there but due to injuries and disruptions he has spent a lot of time at half back. At times he has shown glimpses of his quality but it did not happen often enough and a team wanting to be the best needs better options in the halfs. 6/10

Anthony Thackery - Flatters to deceive should be on his report. At times he looks like a quicker version of Ben Black but the truth is that he lacks the real star man quality that Ben Black had and he hasnt seemed to improve at all under the current coaching staff. The fact we ended the season looking better without him probably speaks volumes really. 5/10

Anthony Bowman - Another has has shown no improvement over the last few years although to be fair to him he did play some of his best rugby at centre for us. When KH bowed to fan pressure and put him back in after Thackery`s injury he went on to be anonymous in the games that he played. Truth is he is never going to be a regular first team player at Fax. 4/10

Tony Tonks - Consistently probably our best player all year. I have not seen him have a bad game for us. Total animal and for me the best prop in the division. I wish he could do more minutes but the damage he does on the pitch in those minutes is second to none. Sorry for him he never got a fair crack in SL but delighted for us. More of the same next season. 9/10

Craig Ashall - For me he looked a good find at the start of last season but hasn't improved since. I think he has finished the season well but in the grand scheme of things he has also been unlucky that poor recruitment thrust him in to the hooking role and he is simply not good enough to be a number 9 at a top level championship club. His best position is clearly 13 but unfortunately for him we have better. I think he would do a very good job at a lower or mid table team if used correctly. 6/10

Luke Ambler - A bit like Tonks has been very good for us this year and we will expect more of the same next season. For me the only thing lacking in his game is a bit more of the raw aggression that Tonks seems to have. Still very young for a prop though and think with some good coaching can get even better. 8/10

Dane Manning - In the top 3 second rowers in the competition for me. When on form he is like a machine tackling anything that moves. Pure text book tackler, legs, lift, smash, and on yer back. I think he could do a job in SL and Batley fans thinking they were getting him back, yeah right the lad should be heading upwards not downwards. 8/10

Andy Bracek - I thought he let himself down a bit on Thursday night but I think he has had a real solid first season at Fax. Gets stuck in, is good on his feet, and puts in some big hits, prone to the odd mistake but I think he can be even better next season. 7/10

Scott Murrell - Best player in the league by a mile for probably half if not 3/4 of the season. Pure quality and if lacking a couple of yards of pace easily makes up for it with his reading of the game. Then he broke his hand and his form dipped massively, for me that was the turning point but credit to the lad because he took one for the team because he should not have even been playing. A joy to watch as he fires up his team mates but as could also be seen Thursday when they scored their last play walking out to the dejected players walking back and offering support. A real captain and we are lucky to have a player of that quality at this level. With a top quality quick scrum half in our team next season to compliment him we could be electric. 9/10

Karl Ashall - For some we had signed a player with potential to become better than Penky, the reality is we had panic bought a player who is well out of his depth. That may sound like me been really harsh but he is still young and could still make it at this level but his tackling would need to vastly improve and his decision making at times was really, really poor. On the plus side on the back of a quick play the ball and pick up he could put the defence to the test but that didnt happen often enough. 4/10

Adam Robinson - I think he has the potential to be a top quality player at this level but has struggled badly with injuries all season just as he got some form. He wont really let you down and has scored some top drawer trys and hits well in defence, just needs a bit more luck in the injury department next year. 6/10

Sam Barlow - its fair to say he was very poor for us this season and if the rumors flying about do happen to be true then I hope he gets what he deserves. I feel very sorry for Leigh if he does actually play for them that they will have his disruptive influence in their team. 3/10

Iain Davies - Looked ok in a couple of games for us then got injured and not had a chance since. By all accounts has not really stood out in the unders that much so pretty hard to say if he could break in to the first team. 4/10

Luke Adamson - Good quality signing and looks good in defence and attack. Really the only thing that he needs to work a lot on is his knack of giving away penalties. Our most penalized player at the back end of the season and sometimes they are really needless penalties. Should be good for us next season. 7/10

Callum Casey - Pretty much a squad player who for me looks like he will struggle to nail down a position in the team. To be fair to him though where he is thrown in he always does a good job and never lets us down. He will struggle though with the utility player tag because there is a lot of players in front of him in every position. I thought he could maybe be given a shot at hooker this year because he has a good pair of hands on him but it has not happened. I guess for next season all we can ask for is more general improvement from him. 6/10

Ross Divorty - Steady Edie really. Does lots of good stuff for the team and rarely has a bad game. Probably in the same ilk as Ambler in that for such a big guy I would like to see him have a bit more aggression in his game but hopefully thats something he can work on. It would take a very good player to oust him from the team. 7/10

Ben Davies - Has done ok since he signed for us. Is he worth another contract? I would say yes and think he will do better as he comes more familiar with everyone. Does not seem to make many mistakes although you dont tend to notice him as much as our other big men. It takes time to settle and if he does not sign then we must have a good player lined up to replace him. 6/10

That brings me to Karl Harrison and I must say along with a lot of others Im very much undecided if he is the right man for the job or not. I know people moan about how dire at times the rugby has been to watch but I also think at times it has been pretty good. We were shown up in crucial areas which has to fall down to the coach and I also totally disagree with his recruitment policies of no overseas and no loan players however I do agree with the dual reg fiasco. Ive said many times that I do not care where a player comes from who plays for us as long as it is the benefit of the team.

The Barlow situation just shows that just because you are from Halifax means you should get any preference over any one else. I cannot tell you how jealous I am of the quality overseas players that Sheffield have. They are the type of players who I would pay good money to watch and who you look forward to watching. We have probably been blessed over recent seasons in that respect which just highlights now our lack of creativity in those key positions.

Recruitment - A mixed bag this season. We have brought Murrell in along with Adamson who have been very good but we knew where the problems lay before the season started but not only did we get rid of Penky we did not replace him with another quality hooker. When you take in to account that Penky wanted to stay you can see what a massive mistake that was. The half backs were the other obvious problem but both were signed on 2 year deals and we knew last season that the combination want working. Sticking with that hurt us. Jury is still out on this one and if the rumors are true about signings for next year then most people wont be over excited. 6/10

Tactics - The team has been built around raw power and getting on top of teams. However we do not have the halfs to kick on in big games when we do get on top which to be fair is in most games. At times we have tried to play some expansive rugby but KH bemoaned the fact about players who all have slow passing movements yet I take it he knew this when assembling the team. Results wise it was good enough to have us finish 3rd in the league which isnt too bad but we were found wanting in most big games. A couple of tweeks I think we could be very good. 7/10

Player Performance - For me this is the big area of question. A coaches job is to get the best out of his players but on the face of it then its hard to find many whos game has really improved under Harrison in fact some have gone backwards and it seems the wish is to take any sort of flair out of the team. One criticism that i hear of KH is his willingness to bollock the players for doing things wrong but a real lack of crediting players when they do well. Maybe that explains why their seems to be a lack of confidence in one or two of our players. When you are afraid to make mistakes you take the safe option hence the style of rugby we seem to have. That was never a problem under Calland though. The Worrincy situation sums it up for me, the guy should now be the best winger in the league and would be under a couple of other certain coaches in this league yet for us he cant get in the team and is dropped for every mistake. For me that boils down to poor coaching. 4/10

Overall its been an ok season without really performing in the big games. A lot of next season depends on our key signing at half back and that could be make or break for KH. Honestly I would not be surprised if we had a new coach by half way through the season. I hope not and I hope he can turn things around when it comes to the fans because he is a legitimate Halifax legend but like some of the players he has some failings that he needs to work on to become a better coach. If he can do it then I feel he could be a great success, if he cant it will just be another coach that people dont really remember.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8194No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 04 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jul 15 09:2723rd Apr 15 08:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
FAILURE ISN'T ABOUT FALLING DOWN, FAILURE IS STAYING DOWN..........

Re: 2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:49 am  
Flippin' heck i bet that took some composing ! A good read anyhow, not everyone will agree or disagree with your assessments but that's life.

A season is usually judged on silverware & unfortunately we don't have any.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6698No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Mar 17 06:4010th Feb 17 18:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
And Behold, a pale horse. And on his back his name was death.

The weekend starts on a Monday.

Re: 2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:21 pm  
A very comprehensive review, :CLAP:
As Marrilion man says we may disagree on some scores but all in all about right.
I still believe Thaks was better than a lot gave him credit for and I am mystified why when Rob was one of the first to sign a new two year contract he has not appeared since.
Greg have pm'd you.
RankPostsTeam
International Star136No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 11 201014 years319th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Aug 22 15:5321st Aug 22 11:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:53 pm  
Again like others have said, a good post. Worrincy should be the best winger but unfortunately Harrison likes punishing players for their mistakes. This doesn't help players at all. They will play conservative rugby when they do get back in the team and this is probably why we lack flair. Anyway, coaching needs sorting for next season or I expect crowds to drop again. Lastly, please recruit oversea's if there is the talent available. Some of our best players have been from overseas so why change it now!
Brew 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman25865
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200223 years276th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Oct 24 11:024th Oct 24 07:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Black Red Blue Green

Re: 2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:02 pm  
One of the best posts on here in a while, well thought out and in my opinion, a fair assessment of the season.

While we haven't won a trophy, I don't think we've under achieved either. We were never the favourites. And I'd say we will have been behind Fev and Sheffield at the start of the season, so to end where we have is what would have been expected.

To catch Fev and Sheffield we now need to improve. Fev have already announced some signings for next year, I'd expect we'll start doing the same soon
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2077No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 02 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jan 18 23:1311th Jan 18 23:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:59 pm  
As others have said I very well thought out post even if long I enjoyed reading it. Some good points made in a constructive manner. I agree with much of the comments from everybody, but will add mine if I may.

THE TEAM
I think we have under achieved in a number of areas to be frank. The Club and players made a big thing about this being the "year of Fax". Yet we didnt even reach a final or finish in the top 2. The club went out way earlier than expected in the rail cup. The club has underachieved in the money coming in with poor crowds often related not to just the results but the brand played. Going out early in the rail cup and the failure again to beat Sheffield when it mattered in the Challenge Cup cost the club money in my opinion. I cant really think of any player that has made massive improvements under Karls and the Coaching team. One player has come from the U20s and is just given a few minutes of game time often even though he has often provided some spark. A number of players are simply not good enough and the quality in key areas in the team is not good enough. The club should be looking at the WC and looking in the Qld Cup, NSW Cup, NZ and SL U19s for potential players. Some of the comments from Karl concern me.
THE CLUB
First of all, thank you to all who have contributed to the season, especially the volunteers and those who give of their time. Its much appreciated by me and am sure most others, even if we dont sometimes show it. However I feel the club needs to do a complete review of everything- from The perform of all the coaching team to entrance price to its reputation in the local area. I am very disappointed and disillusioned at the moment and feel like stopping sponsoring a player etc. When you spend a good couple of hundreds of pounds, then I expect some things and have been disappointed with the response. I think some big decisions and Changes need to be made how things are done and who is responsible for what exactly. It comes across at times that people dont talk to each other on certain matters.
We need to look at other clubs both in our sport like Sheffield Eagles, as well as clubs in other sports like Soccer and Union and see in what areas we can learn and improve, on and off the field. Another season in 2014, like this will see us struggle and fall further behind the likes of Sheffield and Featherstone and possibly Leigh. I am concerned by some of the comments by people connected to the club as it comes across as the club is happy with things the way they are. I dont think things look good for the future right now with smaller crowds, less money and some rumours not helping. Maybe I am being harsh and negative but thats what I currently think right now.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 18 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Sep 23 22:0312th Mar 18 18:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
'Fax fan in Stockport: The jewel in the ring of Manchester

Re: 2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:23 pm  
Great review there boots!! Agree with all of it. It's been a weird season. For me the biggest shock has been the drop in attendances. It really is a worrying figure and one which, after this very ordinary season may get worse in 2014. The club needs the community-wise proactiveness that Featherstone have managed to produce. The results are there for all to see in their attendance figures.

Just feels at the moment that we're wading through treacle.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 19 200223 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Dec 20 21:5720th Oct 19 12:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:50 pm  
Money is tight and I know a good dozen people who due to the sheer tripe that we have served up in previous weeks have said until KH either changes his way of playing or goes they won't be back or purchasing a season ticket. I also hear of many people worried about our signings that are yet to be announced. We've only heard rumours to now so we can't be 100% of anything only the club are... If the rumours are to be believed regarding who we are / have signed then I'm a little concerned.... But hoping for the best!!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1460No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 04 200717 years324th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Oct 24 14:5720th Aug 24 15:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:13 pm  
Harrison will only be able to attract average backs. After all, if I was a decent Winger wanting to play for a team in this league, then I want to score lots of tries. Unfortunately, under Harrison, I will have nothing to do as the Centres will never pass the ball to me and I will have to run the ball in to relieve the forwards. The only tries I will score are from crossfield kicks and maybe an intercept or two. So I think it may be best I sign for a club that will help me enjoy my game more
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5865No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 22 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 19 22:2225th Nov 18 21:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2013 Players/Season Review : Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:44 pm  
The Lucky Black Cat wrote:
As others have said I very well thought out post even if long I enjoyed reading it. Some good points made in a constructive manner. I agree with much of the comments from everybody, but will add mine if I may.

THE TEAM
I think we have under achieved in a number of areas to be frank. The Club and players made a big thing about this being the "year of Fax". Yet we didnt even reach a final or finish in the top 2. The club went out way earlier than expected in the rail cup. The club has underachieved in the money coming in with poor crowds often related not to just the results but the brand played. Going out early in the rail cup and the failure again to beat Sheffield when it mattered in the Challenge Cup cost the club money in my opinion. I cant really think of any player that has made massive improvements under Karls and the Coaching team. One player has come from the U20s and is just given a few minutes of game time often even though he has often provided some spark. A number of players are simply not good enough and the quality in key areas in the team is not good enough. The club should be looking at the WC and looking in the Qld Cup, NSW Cup, NZ and SL U19s for potential players. Some of the comments from Karl concern me.
THE CLUB
First of all, thank you to all who have contributed to the season, especially the volunteers and those who give of their time. Its much appreciated by me and am sure most others, even if we dont sometimes show it. However I feel the club needs to do a complete review of everything- from The perform of all the coaching team to entrance price to its reputation in the local area. I am very disappointed and disillusioned at the moment and feel like stopping sponsoring a player etc. When you spend a good couple of hundreds of pounds, then I expect some things and have been disappointed with the response. I think some big decisions and Changes need to be made how things are done and who is responsible for what exactly. It comes across at times that people dont talk to each other on certain matters.
We need to look at other clubs both in our sport like Sheffield Eagles, as well as clubs in other sports like Soccer and Union and see in what areas we can learn and improve, on and off the field. Another season in 2014, like this will see us struggle and fall further behind the likes of Sheffield and Featherstone and possibly Leigh. I am concerned by some of the comments by people connected to the club as it comes across as the club is happy with things the way they are. I dont think things look good for the future right now with smaller crowds, less money and some rumours not helping. Maybe I am being harsh and negative but thats what I currently think right now.

Top post, I think the club need to get more professional like the other night at half time, a half hearted introduction to Fereti Tuilagi and a draw for the World Cup game won by the guy who drew it, Gary Schofield which I am furious about as many of us paid £2 to get a ticket and it seems like the club just fixed it for a 'celebrity' to win it and one who aint even a guy with Halifax connections! No music and a little bit of commentary on the kids game.
Next