FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Programme last night at Leigh.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman13026
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200223 years299th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Feb 24 22:303rd Feb 24 19:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

Re: Programme last night at Leigh. : Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:48 pm  
Living The Dream wrote:
So that's Leigh with no programme and Swinton with no Doctor!!!! Whip round at Leigh Sports village on Sunday when they play each other methinks!!!!

Well you are the masters regards Whip rounds.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach422No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 06 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Feb 20 23:3728th Oct 17 16:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Programme last night at Leigh. : Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:56 pm  
You're receiving this email because of your relationship with Leigh Centurions. Please confirm your continued interest in receiving email from us.

You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.

Club Website The RFL The Co-operative Northern Rail Carnegie
LEIGH CENTURIONS Vs HALIFAX

KINGSTONE PRESS CHAMPIONSHIP

31st JULY 2013, 7.30pm Kick-off.

LEIGH SPORTS VILLAGE

Twitter: @LeighCenturions vs @Halifax_RLFC @LSV08

E- Programme Part 1

INTRODUCTIONS

Hello and welcome to a first from Leigh Centurions as we produce our very first E-Programme. With printing deadlines so tight for this game and with it only being arranged on 23rd July, this was too close for us to produce our usual high quality printed copy; however as a club of innovation and drive, we thought we’d produce something different and equally noteworthy.

So what have we got coming up in this first E-Centurion?

John Roddy gives us a few thoughts from the board.

Paul Rowley speaks to Dave Parkinson in the first of a two part interview concerning the historic Northern Rail Cup Final win (2nd part to appear in the Swinton programme).

Dave also chips in with a focus on Tommy Goulden who recently reached two career milestones. He also looks at what other milestones have been reached or are coming up amongst the squad and provides abridged Facts n Stats; also listing our remaining fixtures at first team level.

Pete Jackson makes his programme debut for the “Centurion” writing about our visitors Halifax, his thoughts as a newcomer to our wonderful sport and his view on the recent Festival of World Cups.

Nathan Lawrenson looks to the future and suggests a slightly different approach to that of the RFL.

We carry links where you can look to purchase World Cup Tickets for the game at the Sports Village and the third Quarter Final, lists of our valued club sponsors and an advert for another Leigh Centurions innovation – Leigh Centurions TV, where for just £3.50 per month you get all the match coverage, pre and post match interviews and items such as Captains Corner, featuring Rob Parker and Ryan and Riddy’s Catch up featuring our cheeky halfbacks.

Squad lists are provided by our usual “Centurion” programme editor Alan Edge.

Your feedback on this edition would be greatly valued, drop our stand-in editor Dave Parkinson an email at dpcenturion@hotmail.com with your thoughts.

FROM THE BOARD: John Roddy

Welcome to our first e-programme and I hope one of many to appear in the future.

Thanks to Dave and Andrew Parkinson for identifying a solution after we learnt that our fixture with Halifax was announced. We had absolutely no chance of preparing a normal club programme in the timeframe.

Lots of other great initiatives are happening behind the scenes at Leigh Centurions and be assured that already plans are being discussed not just for the 2014 season but also 2015 as well - we cannot afford to sit still whilst others are moving ahead.

We are always looking for new talent to join our individual support groups to help take this club into a new direction a club which is very ambitious and is looking for success both on and off the field - Please get in touch with us if would like to be part of our future success.

Finally - yes we are the Northern Rail Cup Champions 2013 and what a team effort it was to secure the victory, may I on behalf of the club thank each and every one of our supporters for their following not only at the final but throughout the the whole campaign.

Best wishes,

John

PAUL’S PAGE
Dave Parkinson chats with Paul Rowley following the Centurions 4th Northern Rail Cup Final victory.

So Paul after the rigours of the Northern Rail Cup Final, have you come down to Earth yet?

I was right back on Monday, planning for our next fixture against Hunslet on Sunday and for the Halifax game! They don’t give you long before your next assignment comes along. It was a wonderful moment and I certainly won’t let it pass me by. There were a lot of memories that will sit with me forever and a day. But we’ve got to move on and think about our next job.

Taking you back to Saturday, give us an idea how that was, you won this competition twice as a player and now as a coach!

I’m the only one to win it as a player and as a coach. It’s strange, winning it as a player, you are delighted because it’s you, you are delighted for yourself, you are proud, proud because your family get to see you lift it. You are proud because your supporters see you lift it. It’s euphoric.

Winning it as a coach is like seeing your kids do well at sports day. It’s more of a paternal instinct. You take joy out of watching the lads get the credit they deserve, like you would for a son or daughter when they’ve done something particularly well. I wanted them to enjoy it as much as they can and remember these moments forever.

When you play in a game like that, you create a special bond, them things will be with you in ten, twenty, thirty years time – they are the team that played together in that final. They are very rare and very special and they’ve done something to get there and I’m immensely proud of each and every one of them.

You’ve often spoken about the hard work that the lads have put in. This is now testament to their efforts isn’t it, they’ve got something to show for it?

Absolutely. I think all players work hard, no matter what club. We are no different, we all do similar stuff. The beauty of our team is that if you are not going to spend the most and you aren’t going to have the biggest squad, you’ve got to think, what have we got that no-one else have and what we have is a group of largely homegrown players who have been brought up in the area, born and bred, they are really a good set of friends, they play for each other.

That is what is so special. Mixed in with that, our fans are so passionate as well. There’s a lot of love at the club and there is something special.

Part two of this interview follows in the Swinton programme on Sunday, available around the ground from your usual vendors.

PLAYER FOCUS – Tommy Goulden

Dave Parkinson looks back over the professional career of Goulden with the help of the man himself.

Whilst the Northern Rail Cup Final 2013 will forever be remembered as Tommy Goulden’s 100th appearance for Leigh, a lesser known personal milestone is set to be reached with Goulden on the verge of his 200th professional appearance.

“I look back now and think; where’s time gone? But when you enjoy it, the seasons fly by, especially when you get stuck into them.” Goulden said, “You hate it at the beginning of the pre-season when it comes around again but then you think, what would you do without it?”

The former GB BARLA captain turned professional after returning from a memorable tour of Australia having played out a glittering amateur career that saw him as one of the stand-out players in a decent Leigh Miners Rangers team.

Despite earlier recommendations to Leigh it was Rochdale Hornets that came calling for his services.

Modern rugby league legend Bobbie Goulding was in charge of Hornets at the time and Tommy remembers his first professional coach fondly.

“It was a great experience; Bobbie was a fiery character. He wanted you to wear your heart on your sleeve and play for the shirt on your back, which I always did; and I always do.”

Four first team appearances came at the end of 2005 and then Tommy faced a gruelling pre-season, his first as a pro.

He described it as “Eye-opening. It was tough. That’s what I needed though. I’d signed from the amateur game; played four games and thought ‘I’m way off the pace here!’

“Once I got a pre-season under my belt, I took it in my stride.”

By the time the 2007 season was underway a relegation battle developed at Spotland.

“There was relegation and the same old story; a money battle. People weren’t getting paid and it basically took a downward spiral. People left and the inevitable happened.”

From Rochdale, Goulden moved to their near neighbours and rivals Oldham where his stock continued to rise.

Despite the rivalry between the clubs, Rochdale fans gave Tommy a good send-off.

“The Rochdale fans didn’t begrudge me and they wished me well. I wanted to further my career and play for a club that I thought was going to go places. Oldham had a decent side the year I signed for them.”

Whilst at Oldham, Tommy played in two Championship One Grand Finals, finishing on the losing side on both occasions. “It was hard to take when we’d go all season, win 90 percent of our games and then lose that vital game but I suppose it was the same for Sheffield last weekend. You’ve got to be on your form on the day; no excuses.”

His Oldham form brought him to the attention of Ian Millward, then putting a team together to regain the Centurions standing in the Championship after a difficult 2009 season.

Goulden said, “I jumped at the chance. I’d have signed for Leigh ten years ago if I’d had the opportunity but I had to go and do my apprenticeship at Rochdale and Oldham before the chance came to sign for my home club.”

Speaking with such pride it is difficult not to be impressed by Goulden who has taken the long way round in his professional career.

“The move (to Leigh) came about through a guy that I knew; secondary contact basically. Ian was interested in me and I was interested in coming to Leigh. We had a mutual friend who sorted it out for us.”

He made his debut against his former club at the end of January 2010 and soon became a staple fixture in the Centurions team that bounced back from its flirtation with relegation in 2009 and became one of the Championships leading lights.

Four years later, with two Northern Rail Cup Winners medals to show, Tommy is still going strong.

His second season with Leigh saw him notch an impressive 15 tries and he played 23 games last season.

Whilst admitting that a couple of niggling injuries have held him back a little this year, Goulden’s form is impressive.

“I feel that I’m coming back into form now.” He said, “In previous years we’ve always started like a house on fire and dropped away at the end, but now, I hope that we are doing it the reverse way of starting off a bit slow and then kicking on right to the end of the year.”

“We are now playing how we should have been playing but that happens sometimes. You can’t put your finger on it when you aren’t playing how we train but hopefully we can keep the momentum going and you never know where we’ll end up!”

OUR VISITORS: Halifax
By Pete Jackson

Tonight’s visitors Halifax come into this game knowing that the Centurions can cut the points gap between the two sides to just one if a home victory is secured.

The Shay, Halifax’s home ground, was the scene of Leigh’s heroic Northern Rail Cup win just 11 days ago. In doing so, The Centurions took the trophy from Fax who won last year’s final at Blackpool. Talking of Blackpool, these two sides met there in 2011 when a last gasp Tom Armstrong try secured another successful day for the “Leythers”.

If Halifax’s recent performance’s in so called “big games” are anything to go by, then Leigh will take great confidence in their chances of snatching a win tonight.

Whilst Fax have been winning the majority of their recent games, in encounters against Champions Sheffield and high-flying Featherstone Rovers, they have failed to bring home the vital points which could have seen them sitting at the top of the Kingstone Press Championship table.

Many of tonight’s visiting fans would point to the injury of captain, and arguably their best player, Scott Murrell in early May as to why their form has dipped after going 13 games unbeaten at the start of the season.

When captain Murrell was sidelined, Fax swiftly exited both cup competitions, losing to Sheffield in the Challenge Cup and Dewsbury in the Northern Rail Cup, which put the league firmly at the forefront of their minds.

Murrell’s injury woe’s struck again when he missed Halifax’s last game against Featherstone, which they lost 30-16. Three of Fax’s five defeats this season have come when he has been unavailable, and his fitness will be of the upmost importance come playoff time.

It all started well for Halifax though, as they managed to overturn champions Sheffield on the first day of the season which saw them start that 13 game unbeaten run.

This included an 11 try mauling of the Centurions, 60-10 in April, but form has become more difficult to come by the longer the season has progressed.

Here is a look at some of the stand out Halifax players, and who you can expect to impress in tonight’s crunch game.

Ones to Watch:

Anthony Thackery:
Height: 5”9
Position: Stand-off /Scrum half.

“Thacks” has played for a number of clubs including Hull FC, Castleford before moving to Fax from Super League side Widnes last year. He is the second top try scorer at Fax with 14 already this season, and loves to run at the line. He will cause problems for Leigh if they don’t keep him contained.

Rob Worrincy:
Height: 6”2
Position: Winger

Famed for scoring a number of long range tries, “The Warrior” chose to stay with Fax despite interest from other clubs. The former Sheffield and London man has 13 tries to his name so far this season and ran in two against Leigh back in April. In fact Rob has a history of scoring against Leigh!

Dane Manning:
Height: 6”0
Position: Second Row

An unsung hero in the Fax pack, Manning joined Halifax in 2012 off the back of a very impressive season with Yorkshire rivals Batley, having earlier represented Featherstone Rovers. With five tries scored so far this season, Dane will tackle and run the ball all night if needed.

Ryan Fieldhouse:
Height: 5”10
Position: Full Back

As Halifax’s top try scorer this season, Fieldhouse has been in devastating form. The son of former club favourite John, he already has a personal haul of 62 points and will threaten from full back tonight if the Centurions kick-chase game is not on the money. Before taking a professional contract, Fieldhouse played for Bank Quay Bulls and Leigh East.

Head Coach Report:
Karl Harrison

Harrison has a big reputation both as a former player and a coach. A big prop forward in his playing days and an imposing figure for Hull and Halifax, he has a Premiership title under his belt and also lists a tour of Australia and New Zealand with Great Britain as a player.

He has coached at Salford City Reds, Keighley Cougars, Bradford Bulls and Batley where he won that clubs first piece of silverware for 86 years in 2010 and was also in charge of England for a spell of two years from 2004-2006.

TAKING ON A NEW SPORT
By Pete Jackson

Working for the Leigh Centurions over the past three months has opened my eyes in so many ways. Getting involved in a sport I had little knowledge of, covering a team I knew nothing about, and trying to make my way to a town I had never visited before was a daunting prospect, but I can honestly say I have loved every second of it.

Being born and raised as a fan of either code of rugby, most of us are told early on that the other sport is nothing but a terrible version of your own. So, being brought up as a Union fan meant for many years I held League in a fairly low regard.

When I started at University in Huddersfield though my lecturer Chris Irvine, who covers Rugby League for The Times, talked about his love for the game which led me to watching a few matches.

Ever since then I have been struck by the passion of Rugby League supporters. In my home town of Manchester there is a city divided by two football teams, in Leigh there is a town united by its love of rugby league.

Leaving the bus station in town and making my way to the ground at every pub I walk past the colours of Leigh are hung up in the windows, almost everyone is wearing a red and white shirt and most are making their way to the impressive Leigh Sports Village.

League players are generally some of the nicest sporting personalities you are likely to meet. Players take time at the end of games to talk to supporters and be sociable, despite having just thrown their bodies on the line for 80 minutes.

I already feel like a Leigh fan even though I’ve only been to a handful of matches, and I put this down to how accommodating and friendly the staff and supporters are at the club.

There are a number of sports which I have great passion for and Rugby League will gladly be added to the list. Getting into the League vs. Union debate is not something I enjoy as they both have their place, and atmospheres are always friendly at games whatever the code.

Another project I worked on recently was the Festival of World Cups, which had more evidence of the passion people have for the sport.

The Police, Women’s and Student World Cups were held across Yorkshire over a ten day period, and the sheer amount of volunteers who gave up their time to help out was wonderful to see. The Finals day in Leeds saw Australia take all three titles, but even this couldn’t dampen the spirits of everyone involved!

The Rugby World Cup in a few months time will be another great spectacle, with The Centurions hosting Tonga and The Cook Islands for what should be a massively entertaining game.

So, my journey through Rugby League has just begun, but I hope that Leigh will be at the centre of my involvement for as long as possible.

Forward email

This email was sent to johnphillips0724@hotmail.co.uk by andrew@leighrl.co.uk |
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.

Leigh Centurions | Leigh Stadium | Sale Way | Leigh | Lancashire | WN7 4JY | United Kingdom
You're receiving this email because of your relationship with Leigh Centurions. Please confirm your continued interest in receiving email from us.

LEIGH SPORTS VILLAGE

E- Programme Part 1

INTRODUCTIONS

Hello and welcome to a first from Leigh Centurions as we produce our very first E-Programme. With printing deadlines so tight for this game and with it only being arranged on 23rd July, this was too close for us to produce our usual high quality printed copy; however as a club of innovation and drive, we thought we’d produce something different and equally noteworthy.

So what have we got coming up in this first E-Centurion?

John Roddy gives us a few thoughts from the board.

Paul Rowley speaks to Dave Parkinson in the first of a two part interview concerning the historic Northern Rail Cup Final win (2nd part to appear in the Swinton programme).

Dave also chips in with a focus on Tommy Goulden who recently reached two career milestones. He also looks at what other milestones have been reached or are coming up amongst the squad and provides abridged Facts n Stats; also listing our remaining fixtures at first team level.

Pete Jackson makes his programme debut for the “Centurion” writing about our visitors Halifax, his thoughts as a newcomer to our wonderful sport and his view on the recent Festival of World Cups.

Nathan Lawrenson looks to the future and suggests a slightly different approach to that of the RFL.

We carry links where you can look to purchase World Cup Tickets for the game at the Sports Village and the third Quarter Final, lists of our valued club sponsors and an advert for another Leigh Centurions innovation – Leigh Centurions TV, where for just £3.50 per month you get all the match coverage, pre and post match interviews and items such as Captains Corner, featuring Rob Parker and Ryan and Riddy’s Catch up featuring our cheeky halfbacks.

Squad lists are provided by our usual “Centurion” programme editor Alan Edge.

Your feedback on this edition would be greatly valued, drop our stand-in editor Dave Parkinson an email at dpcenturion@hotmail.com with your thoughts.

FROM THE BOARD: John Roddy

Welcome to our first e-programme and I hope one of many to appear in the future.

Thanks to Dave and Andrew Parkinson for identifying a solution after we learnt that our fixture with Halifax was announced. We had absolutely no chance of preparing a normal club programme in the timeframe.

Lots of other great initiatives are happening behind the scenes at Leigh Centurions and be assured that already plans are being discussed not just for the 2014 season but also 2015 as well - we cannot afford to sit still whilst others are moving ahead.

We are always looking for new talent to join our individual support groups to help take this club into a new direction a club which is very ambitious and is looking for success both on and off the field - Please get in touch with us if would like to be part of our future success.

Finally - yes we are the Northern Rail Cup Champions 2013 and what a team effort it was to secure the victory, may I on behalf of the club thank each and every one of our supporters for their following not only at the final but throughout the the whole campaign.

Best wishes,

John

PAUL’S PAGE
Dave Parkinson chats with Paul Rowley following the Centurions 4th Northern Rail Cup Final victory.

So Paul after the rigours of the Northern Rail Cup Final, have you come down to Earth yet?

I was right back on Monday, planning for our next fixture against Hunslet on Sunday and for the Halifax game! They don’t give you long before your next assignment comes along. It was a wonderful moment and I certainly won’t let it pass me by. There were a lot of memories that will sit with me forever and a day. But we’ve got to move on and think about our next job.

Taking you back to Saturday, give us an idea how that was, you won this competition twice as a player and now as a coach!

I’m the only one to win it as a player and as a coach. It’s strange, winning it as a player, you are delighted because it’s you, you are delighted for yourself, you are proud, proud because your family get to see you lift it. You are proud because your supporters see you lift it. It’s euphoric.

Winning it as a coach is like seeing your kids do well at sports day. It’s more of a paternal instinct. You take joy out of watching the lads get the credit they deserve, like you would for a son or daughter when they’ve done something particularly well. I wanted them to enjoy it as much as they can and remember these moments forever.

When you play in a game like that, you create a special bond, them things will be with you in ten, twenty, thirty years time – they are the team that played together in that final. They are very rare and very special and they’ve done something to get there and I’m immensely proud of each and every one of them.

You’ve often spoken about the hard work that the lads have put in. This is now testament to their efforts isn’t it, they’ve got something to show for it?

Absolutely. I think all players work hard, no matter what club. We are no different, we all do similar stuff. The beauty of our team is that if you are not going to spend the most and you aren’t going to have the biggest squad, you’ve got to think, what have we got that no-one else have and what we have is a group of largely homegrown players who have been brought up in the area, born and bred, they are really a good set of friends, they play for each other.

That is what is so special. Mixed in with that, our fans are so passionate as well. There’s a lot of love at the club and there is something special.

Part two of this interview follows in the Swinton programme on Sunday, available around the ground from your usual vendors.

PLAYER FOCUS – Tommy Goulden

Dave Parkinson looks back over the professional career of Goulden with the help of the man himself.

Whilst the Northern Rail Cup Final 2013 will forever be remembered as Tommy Goulden’s 100th appearance for Leigh, a lesser known personal milestone is set to be reached with Goulden on the verge of his 200th professional appearance.

“I look back now and think; where’s time gone? But when you enjoy it, the seasons fly by, especially when you get stuck into them.” Goulden said, “You hate it at the beginning of the pre-season when it comes around again but then you think, what would you do without it?”

The former GB BARLA captain turned professional after returning from a memorable tour of Australia having played out a glittering amateur career that saw him as one of the stand-out players in a decent Leigh Miners Rangers team.

Despite earlier recommendations to Leigh it was Rochdale Hornets that came calling for his services.

Modern rugby league legend Bobbie Goulding was in charge of Hornets at the time and Tommy remembers his first professional coach fondly.

“It was a great experience; Bobbie was a fiery character. He wanted you to wear your heart on your sleeve and play for the shirt on your back, which I always did; and I always do.”

Four first team appearances came at the end of 2005 and then Tommy faced a gruelling pre-season, his first as a pro.

He described it as “Eye-opening. It was tough. That’s what I needed though. I’d signed from the amateur game; played four games and thought ‘I’m way off the pace here!’

“Once I got a pre-season under my belt, I took it in my stride.”

By the time the 2007 season was underway a relegation battle developed at Spotland.

“There was relegation and the same old story; a money battle. People weren’t getting paid and it basically took a downward spiral. People left and the inevitable happened.”

From Rochdale, Goulden moved to their near neighbours and rivals Oldham where his stock continued to rise.

Despite the rivalry between the clubs, Rochdale fans gave Tommy a good send-off.

“The Rochdale fans didn’t begrudge me and they wished me well. I wanted to further my career and play for a club that I thought was going to go places. Oldham had a decent side the year I signed for them.”

Whilst at Oldham, Tommy played in two Championship One Grand Finals, finishing on the losing side on both occasions. “It was hard to take when we’d go all season, win 90 percent of our games and then lose that vital game but I suppose it was the same for Sheffield last weekend. You’ve got to be on your form on the day; no excuses.”

His Oldham form brought him to the attention of Ian Millward, then putting a team together to regain the Centurions standing in the Championship after a difficult 2009 season.

Goulden said, “I jumped at the chance. I’d have signed for Leigh ten years ago if I’d had the opportunity but I had to go and do my apprenticeship at Rochdale and Oldham before the chance came to sign for my home club.”

Speaking with such pride it is difficult not to be impressed by Goulden who has taken the long way round in his professional career.

“The move (to Leigh) came about through a guy that I knew; secondary contact basically. Ian was interested in me and I was interested in coming to Leigh. We had a mutual friend who sorted it out for us.”

He made his debut against his former club at the end of January 2010 and soon became a staple fixture in the Centurions team that bounced back from its flirtation with relegation in 2009 and became one of the Championships leading lights.

Four years later, with two Northern Rail Cup Winners medals to show, Tommy is still going strong.

His second season with Leigh saw him notch an impressive 15 tries and he played 23 games last season.

Whilst admitting that a couple of niggling injuries have held him back a little this year, Goulden’s form is impressive.

“I feel that I’m coming back into form now.” He said, “In previous years we’ve always started like a house on fire and dropped away at the end, but now, I hope that we are doing it the reverse way of starting off a bit slow and then kicking on right to the end of the year.”

“We are now playing how we should have been playing but that happens sometimes. You can’t put your finger on it when you aren’t playing how we train but hopefully we can keep the momentum going and you never know where we’ll end up!”

OUR VISITORS: Halifax
By Pete Jackson

Tonight’s visitors Halifax come into this game knowing that the Centurions can cut the points gap between the two sides to just one if a home victory is secured.

The Shay, Halifax’s home ground, was the scene of Leigh’s heroic Northern Rail Cup win just 11 days ago. In doing so, The Centurions took the trophy from Fax who won last year’s final at Blackpool. Talking of Blackpool, these two sides met there in 2011 when a last gasp Tom Armstrong try secured another successful day for the “Leythers”.

If Halifax’s recent performance’s in so called “big games” are anything to go by, then Leigh will take great confidence in their chances of snatching a win tonight.

Whilst Fax have been winning the majority of their recent games, in encounters against Champions Sheffield and high-flying Featherstone Rovers, they have failed to bring home the vital points which could have seen them sitting at the top of the Kingstone Press Championship table.

Many of tonight’s visiting fans would point to the injury of captain, and arguably their best player, Scott Murrell in early May as to why their form has dipped after going 13 games unbeaten at the start of the season.

When captain Murrell was sidelined, Fax swiftly exited both cup competitions, losing to Sheffield in the Challenge Cup and Dewsbury in the Northern Rail Cup, which put the league firmly at the forefront of their minds.

Murrell’s injury woe’s struck again when he missed Halifax’s last game against Featherstone, which they lost 30-16. Three of Fax’s five defeats this season have come when he has been unavailable, and his fitness will be of the upmost importance come playoff time.

It all started well for Halifax though, as they managed to overturn champions Sheffield on the first day of the season which saw them start that 13 game unbeaten run.

This included an 11 try mauling of the Centurions, 60-10 in April, but form has become more difficult to come by the longer the season has progressed.

Here is a look at some of the stand out Halifax players, and who you can expect to impress in tonight’s crunch game.

Ones to Watch:

Anthony Thackery:
Height: 5”9
Position: Stand-off /Scrum half.

“Thacks” has played for a number of clubs including Hull FC, Castleford before moving to Fax from Super League side Widnes last year. He is the second top try scorer at Fax with 14 already this season, and loves to run at the line. He will cause problems for Leigh if they don’t keep him contained.

Rob Worrincy:
Height: 6”2
Position: Winger

Famed for scoring a number of long range tries, “The Warrior” chose to stay with Fax despite interest from other clubs. The former Sheffield and London man has 13 tries to his name so far this season and ran in two against Leigh back in April. In fact Rob has a history of scoring against Leigh!

Dane Manning:
Height: 6”0
Position: Second Row

An unsung hero in the Fax pack, Manning joined Halifax in 2012 off the back of a very impressive season with Yorkshire rivals Batley, having earlier represented Featherstone Rovers. With five tries scored so far this season, Dane will tackle and run the ball all night if needed.

Ryan Fieldhouse:
Height: 5”10
Position: Full Back

As Halifax’s top try scorer this season, Fieldhouse has been in devastating form. The son of former club favourite John, he already has a personal haul of 62 points and will threaten from full back tonight if the Centurions kick-chase game is not on the money. Before taking a professional contract, Fieldhouse played for Bank Quay Bulls and Leigh East.

Head Coach Report:
Karl Harrison

Harrison has a big reputation both as a former player and a coach. A big prop forward in his playing days and an imposing figure for Hull and Halifax, he has a Premiership title under his belt and also lists a tour of Australia and New Zealand with Great Britain as a player.

He has coached at Salford City Reds, Keighley Cougars, Bradford Bulls and Batley where he won that clubs first piece of silverware for 86 years in 2010 and was also in charge of England for a spell of two years from 2004-2006.

TAKING ON A NEW SPORT
By Pete Jackson

Working for the Leigh Centurions over the past three months has opened my eyes in so many ways. Getting involved in a sport I had little knowledge of, covering a team I knew nothing about, and trying to make my way to a town I had never visited before was a daunting prospect, but I can honestly say I have loved every second of it.

Being born and raised as a fan of either code of rugby, most of us are told early on that the other sport is nothing but a terrible version of your own. So, being brought up as a Union fan meant for many years I held League in a fairly low regard.

When I started at University in Huddersfield though my lecturer Chris Irvine, who covers Rugby League for The Times, talked about his love for the game which led me to watching a few matches.

Ever since then I have been struck by the passion of Rugby League supporters. In my home town of Manchester there is a city divided by two football teams, in Leigh there is a town united by its love of rugby league.

Leaving the bus station in town and making my way to the ground at every pub I walk past the colours of Leigh are hung up in the windows, almost everyone is wearing a red and white shirt and most are making their way to the impressive Leigh Sports Village.

League players are generally some of the nicest sporting personalities you are likely to meet. Players take time at the end of games to talk to supporters and be sociable, despite having just thrown their bodies on the line for 80 minutes.

I already feel like a Leigh fan even though I’ve only been to a handful of matches, and I put this down to how accommodating and friendly the staff and supporters are at the club.

There are a number of sports which I have great passion for and Rugby League will gladly be added to the list. Getting into the League vs. Union debate is not something I enjoy as they both have their place, and atmospheres are always friendly at games whatever the code.

Another project I worked on recently was the Festival of World Cups, which had more evidence of the passion people have for the sport.

The Police, Women’s and Student World Cups were held across Yorkshire over a ten day period, and the sheer amount of volunteers who gave up their time to help out was wonderful to see. The Finals day in Leeds saw Australia take all three titles, but even this couldn’t dampen the spirits of everyone involved!

The Rugby World Cup in a few months time will be another great spectacle, with The Centurions hosting Tonga and The Cook Islands for what should be a massively entertaining game.

So, my journey through Rugby League has just begun, but I hope that Leigh will be at the centre of my involvement for as long as possible.

Forward email

Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.

Leigh Centurions | Leigh Stadium | Sale Way | Leigh | Lancashire | WN7 4JY | United Kingdom
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach422No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 06 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Feb 20 23:3728th Oct 17 16:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Programme last night at Leigh. : Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm  

LEIGH SPORTS VILLAGE

E- Programme - Part 2

THE RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP
The Leigh Sports Village is a RLWC2013 venue and is looking forward to hosting another high profile fixture when Tonga and the Cook Islands clash on Tuesday 5th November 2013. Kick off is at 8.00pm

THERE WILL BE FIREWORKS!

Have you got your ticket yet?

Follow the link for more information.

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rlwc/detai ... emref=9313

Another game also takes place in the borough with the DW Stadium set to host Quarter Final 3.

Tickets for this match are available via the following link:

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rlwc/detai ... emref=9321

PLAYER MILESTONES
Congratulations to Stuart Littler who scored the 150th try of his professional career recently. Stuart has played his career with Salford, Leigh and Ireland and has been one of the Centurions top performers in recent weeks. He has also now passed 100 points for the club. He currently has 112 points to his name, made up of 28 tries.

Simon Finnigan also reached 250 professional appearances last weekend following a varied British career with Widnes (twice), Bradford, Salford, Huddersfield and Leigh. He has also represented Ireland.

Bob Beswick who passed 250 professional career appearances earlier this season, made his 50th appearance for the club in the Northern Rail Cup Final.

Gregg McNally recently sailed past 50 appearances for the club. Ironically his half century came up at Barrow, a team that Gregg made 8 appearances for in 2011 whilst on dual contract from Huddersfield.

Steve Maden needs one more try to reach 100 for his career. He has scored 71 tries for the Centurions.

Matt Gardner passed 50 games for the club in the Northern Rail Semi-Final success over Batley. He even crowned that with the match clinching try. He has also reached 100 points for the club courtesy of 25 tries.

Johnny Pownall is four points from a career 100 with the club. His 96 points have come via 24 tries.

Ryan Brierley needs 10 points to register a career 200 with the Centurions. The halfback has scored 44 tries, 6 goals and 2 drop goal in 48 appearances.

Martyn Ridyard has moved into outright 5th place on the clubs top point scorers lists. Following our visit to Hunslet he has claimed 757 points, from 60 tries, 257 goals and 3 drop goals. That tally has come in 124 appearances.

Looking to the Future by Nathan Lawrenson

I’m guessing it’s a difficult time to be a club in the Championship. You can win all the trophies you want but will there be an opportunity to get in the Super League anytime soon?

Featherstone have performed consistently well in the league over the past few years, Sheffield came fairly close to beating London in the Challenge Cup and Leigh have ticked the box with their recent Northern Rail Cup win.

But the RFL seem to have their hearts set on making the Super League a twelve team competition which will split into three fours towards the end of the season.

So that means that at least two teams will be axed from the Super League at the end of 2014 and these will then presumably join the Championship as part-time teams.

I say at least because should the RFL want to exchange a current Championship side, they would need to remove another Super League team and there’s a slim possibility of that.

There’s then the factor of Toulouse who are pushing for 2015 inclusion and that’s an interesting factor in itself.

Their tenure in the ‘British’ game was difficult but their team at the time was made up of part-time players fitting in trips to the UK alongside their everyday jobs.

The expansion to Catalan has proved a massive success so far; they have a good local following, Perpignan is a good attraction for visiting supporters and in the past few years they have become competitive on the field.

When Toulouse staged a Catalan fixture earlier in the year, a good attendance was generated and with Bein sport rumoured to be backing their inclusion with a lucrative TV deal, what’s to stop them from being a success.

Ah yes, reduction. Why reduce the number of teams in the Super League when you’ve got several teams chomping at the bit to force their way in.

If it was up to me, which of course it is not, I’d keep it a 14 team division and simply replace London with Toulouse and the bottom placed Super League side in 2014, with the Championship winner.

Brian Barwick has admitted he could do the unimaginable, and have a Super League without London but when you look at it, what do they offer us that another side could not?

People may call me selfish but at times we have to look at the bigger picture and for me, there are several problems with their Super League inclusion.

At the minute, they are certainly not competitive on the field and they are averaging very, very low attendances namely due to the fact they are playing in a massive rugby union area.

Whilst you could say the same for competitiveness about Salford, they are very much building for next year when they will be in with a shout for the top five.

I’m not saying that we should give up on having a team in London, as there are some great amateur sides in the area and the Skolars recently proved they have a lot to offer by making the Northern Rail Bowl final.

Perhaps having them play part-time may actually help them to attract some fans. It sounds daft, but would a Londoner who is new to the game, rather see the Broncos beat convincingly as a full-time team or be competitive as semi-pro?

You can market a game until you’re blue in the face but if a team is losing, week in week out, and in many cases, hammered, who would pay to see that?

Many people say we have to shake off this ‘northern sport’ stereotype but I believe that it’s something we should embrace.

The fact is, most of our top teams are situated in the north because originally, we were the Northern Union and maybe we should embrace that.

Give Leigh, Sheffield or Featherstone a chance in the Super League so long as they can prove they can be financially dependent and let’s see what comes of it.

SQUAD LISTS

LEIGH

HALIFAX

Head Coach: Paul Rowley

Head Coach: Karl Harrison

Number

Number

Gregg McNally

Ryan Fieldhouse

Steve Maden

Rob Worrincy

Stuart Littler

Steve Tyrer

Matt Gardner

Lee Paterson

Jon Pownall

Wayne Reittie

Martyn Ridyard

Paul Handforth

Ryan Brierley

Anthony Thackery

Sam Hopkins

Tony Tonks

Bob Beswick

Craig Ashall

Rob Parker

Luke Ambler

Simon Finnigan

Dane Manning

Tommy Goulden

Andy Bracek

Martin Aspinwall

Scott Murrell

Sean Penkywicz

Karl Ashall

Andy Thornley

Adam Robinson

Craig Briscoe

Ben Heaton

Anthony Nicholson

Anthony Bowman

Michael Ostick

Mick Nanyn

Ryan Duffy

Iain Davies

Adam Higson

Luke Adamson

Chris Rowe

Callum Casey

Anthony Bate

Ross Divorty

Tom Spencer

Rikki Sheriffe

Ben Davies

Ref:

G Hewer

Touch J:

S Ansell

Touch J:

A Gill

Reserve:

L Moore

M Com:

P Gilmour

Games remaining:

July

Weds

31/07/13

Home

19:30

Halifax

Championship

August

Sun

04/08/13

Home

15:00

Swinton

Championship

Fri

09/08/13

Away

Sheffield

Championship

Sun

18/08/13

Home

Whitehaven

Championship

Thurs

22/08/13

Away

Batley

Championship

September

Sun

01/09/13

Home

Dewsbury

Championship

Please join us on Sunday when our usual “Centurion” matchday magazine makes a return.

Forward email

LEIGH SPORTS VILLAGE

E- Programme - Part 2

THE RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP
The Leigh Sports Village is a RLWC2013 venue and is looking forward to hosting another high profile fixture when Tonga and the Cook Islands clash on Tuesday 5th November 2013. Kick off is at 8.00pm

THERE WILL BE FIREWORKS!

Have you got your ticket yet?

Follow the link for more information.

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rlwc/detai ... emref=9313

Another game also takes place in the borough with the DW Stadium set to host Quarter Final 3.

Tickets for this match are available via the following link:

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rlwc/detai ... emref=9321

PLAYER MILESTONES
Congratulations to Stuart Littler who scored the 150th try of his professional career recently. Stuart has played his career with Salford, Leigh and Ireland and has been one of the Centurions top performers in recent weeks. He has also now passed 100 points for the club. He currently has 112 points to his name, made up of 28 tries.

Simon Finnigan also reached 250 professional appearances last weekend following a varied British career with Widnes (twice), Bradford, Salford, Huddersfield and Leigh. He has also represented Ireland.

Bob Beswick who passed 250 professional career appearances earlier this season, made his 50th appearance for the club in the Northern Rail Cup Final.

Gregg McNally recently sailed past 50 appearances for the club. Ironically his half century came up at Barrow, a team that Gregg made 8 appearances for in 2011 whilst on dual contract from Huddersfield.

Steve Maden needs one more try to reach 100 for his career. He has scored 71 tries for the Centurions.

Matt Gardner passed 50 games for the club in the Northern Rail Semi-Final success over Batley. He even crowned that with the match clinching try. He has also reached 100 points for the club courtesy of 25 tries.

Johnny Pownall is four points from a career 100 with the club. His 96 points have come via 24 tries.

Ryan Brierley needs 10 points to register a career 200 with the Centurions. The halfback has scored 44 tries, 6 goals and 2 drop goal in 48 appearances.

Martyn Ridyard has moved into outright 5th place on the clubs top point scorers lists. Following our visit to Hunslet he has claimed 757 points, from 60 tries, 257 goals and 3 drop goals. That tally has come in 124 appearances.

Looking to the Future by Nathan Lawrenson

I’m guessing it’s a difficult time to be a club in the Championship. You can win all the trophies you want but will there be an opportunity to get in the Super League anytime soon?

Featherstone have performed consistently well in the league over the past few years, Sheffield came fairly close to beating London in the Challenge Cup and Leigh have ticked the box with their recent Northern Rail Cup win.

But the RFL seem to have their hearts set on making the Super League a twelve team competition which will split into three fours towards the end of the season.

So that means that at least two teams will be axed from the Super League at the end of 2014 and these will then presumably join the Championship as part-time teams.

I say at least because should the RFL want to exchange a current Championship side, they would need to remove another Super League team and there’s a slim possibility of that.

There’s then the factor of Toulouse who are pushing for 2015 inclusion and that’s an interesting factor in itself.

Their tenure in the ‘British’ game was difficult but their team at the time was made up of part-time players fitting in trips to the UK alongside their everyday jobs.

The expansion to Catalan has proved a massive success so far; they have a good local following, Perpignan is a good attraction for visiting supporters and in the past few years they have become competitive on the field.

When Toulouse staged a Catalan fixture earlier in the year, a good attendance was generated and with Bein sport rumoured to be backing their inclusion with a lucrative TV deal, what’s to stop them from being a success.

Ah yes, reduction. Why reduce the number of teams in the Super League when you’ve got several teams chomping at the bit to force their way in.

If it was up to me, which of course it is not, I’d keep it a 14 team division and simply replace London with Toulouse and the bottom placed Super League side in 2014, with the Championship winner.

Brian Barwick has admitted he could do the unimaginable, and have a Super League without London but when you look at it, what do they offer us that another side could not?

People may call me selfish but at times we have to look at the bigger picture and for me, there are several problems with their Super League inclusion.

At the minute, they are certainly not competitive on the field and they are averaging very, very low attendances namely due to the fact they are playing in a massive rugby union area.

Whilst you could say the same for competitiveness about Salford, they are very much building for next year when they will be in with a shout for the top five.

I’m not saying that we should give up on having a team in London, as there are some great amateur sides in the area and the Skolars recently proved they have a lot to offer by making the Northern Rail Bowl final.

Perhaps having them play part-time may actually help them to attract some fans. It sounds daft, but would a Londoner who is new to the game, rather see the Broncos beat convincingly as a full-time team or be competitive as semi-pro?

You can market a game until you’re blue in the face but if a team is losing, week in week out, and in many cases, hammered, who would pay to see that?

Many people say we have to shake off this ‘northern sport’ stereotype but I believe that it’s something we should embrace.

The fact is, most of our top teams are situated in the north because originally, we were the Northern Union and maybe we should embrace that.

Give Leigh, Sheffield or Featherstone a chance in the Super League so long as they can prove they can be financially dependent and let’s see what comes of it.

SQUAD LISTS

LEIGH

HALIFAX

Head Coach: Paul Rowley

Head Coach: Karl Harrison

Number

Number

Gregg McNally

Ryan Fieldhouse

Steve Maden

Rob Worrincy

Stuart Littler

Steve Tyrer

Matt Gardner

Lee Paterson

Jon Pownall

Wayne Reittie

Martyn Ridyard

Paul Handforth

Ryan Brierley

Anthony Thackery

Sam Hopkins

Tony Tonks

Bob Beswick

Craig Ashall

Rob Parker

Luke Ambler

Simon Finnigan

Dane Manning

Tommy Goulden

Andy Bracek

Martin Aspinwall

Scott Murrell

Sean Penkywicz

Karl Ashall

Andy Thornley

Adam Robinson

Craig Briscoe

Ben Heaton

Anthony Nicholson

Anthony Bowman

Michael Ostick

Mick Nanyn

Ryan Duffy

Iain Davies

Adam Higson

Luke Adamson

Chris Rowe

Callum Casey

Anthony Bate

Ross Divorty

Tom Spencer

Rikki Sheriffe

Ben Davies

Ref:

G Hewer

Touch J:

S Ansell

Touch J:

A Gill

Reserve:

L Moore

M Com:

P Gilmour

Games remaining:

July

Weds

31/07/13

Home

Halifax

Championship

August

Sun

04/08/13

Home

Swinton

Championship

Fri

09/08/13

Away

Sheffield

Championship

Sun

18/08/13

Home

Whitehaven

Championship

Thurs

22/08/13

Away

Batley

Championship

September

Sun

01/09/13

Home

Dewsbury

Championship

Please join us on Sunday when our usual “Centurion” matchday magazine makes a return.

Forward email

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2143
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 30 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Sep 24 20:4819th Oct 19 20:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Hope without planning is about as futile as waiting for a harvest without planting
-------------------------------------
THE FIRST THING TO MAKE A DREAM COME TRUE,IS TO WAKE UP

Re: Programme last night at Leigh. : Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 pm  
WOW that's going to take about a whole ream of paper to print out. Would'nt it have been cheaper to produce a program? :lol: :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6698No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Mar 17 06:4010th Feb 17 18:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
And Behold, a pale horse. And on his back his name was death.

The weekend starts on a Monday.

Re: Programme last night at Leigh. : Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:42 am  
Bartholemew Smythe wrote:
Well you are the masters regards Whip rounds.

A'h but never again, very sound financial backing, lets hope you can say the same.
ian c 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7339No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 200718 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Jan 19 10:3114th Jul 17 08:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Second home the gym

Re: Programme last night at Leigh. : Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:16 am  
halifaxjohn wrote:
:CLAP:

Charlie Caroli was last seen at Blackpool giving Donkey Rides, how on earth he carries that Donkey around is beyond me.
:DANCE:

Good one halifaxjohn. :lol: :lol:
rob_a 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman3185No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200223 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Jun 18 07:3519th May 17 11:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Brad Fitler "If the ref's decision decides your game. You haven't done enough prior."

Referees are like women, they make snap decisions and never reverse them.

[b]Littlerich wrote[/b] Widnes will be glad to get away from Leigh. They've been regularly pumped, roasted and left in the alley-way by the lobbygobblers. Talk about being bitched - what a torrid time they've had. They'll be looking for some A&E rest time for the next three years at least.

Re: Programme last night at Leigh. : Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:58 am  
halifaxjohn wrote:
F""k the programme, f""k the Doctor, in the second half they had no pies!
Now that is a tragedy.
:DOH:

Maybe that's because the crust munchers were in town at the weekend :D
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8194No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 04 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jul 15 09:2723rd Apr 15 08:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
FAILURE ISN'T ABOUT FALLING DOWN, FAILURE IS STAYING DOWN..........

Re: Programme last night at Leigh. : Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:26 am  
mr t hall wrote:
Bloody rubbish Leigh ! How can i claim to have a full set when one does'nt exist !!

How can you be short of something that doesn't actually exist ? I thought that was funny BTW
Previous