FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - council statement.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5865No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 22 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 19 22:2225th Nov 18 21:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: council statement. : Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:26 pm  
SuperGeoff wrote:
1. I'm sure if you had the intelligence levels to read you'd realise I was simply answering what was put to me. IF as you say the council wanted to sell the Shay then TA wasn't even capable of buying something that the council were practically giving away.

2. The club has made money of its own accord, through the sale of Jamie Vardy and the FA Cup runs. A look at the accounts will tell you the directors loans are still only 34k. We haven't needed our board to pump money in other than day 1 to get us started. Since then the club has been self sufficient. Not quite sure how clearly you need this to be spelt out to you. Obviously your football agenda and the fact that your own club is in the red makes you think it is impossible for the club to be making a profit.

3. I was at the town Q&A. Were you?

Theses have been good times for Town and good, but if they stay where they are for two or three seasons they WILL rely on the Board as Towns support at home is cr^p and they cannot survive on the crowds they are getting alone. Football money is spread out better than RL so Town have benefitted from that and again good.
But remember the old club went bust cos the club has always lived on scraps so as I say these are good times but how long will they last?
RankPostsTeam
International Star119No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Nov 13 18:2117th Nov 13 23:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: council statement. : Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 pm  
Fax4Life wrote:
Theses have been good times for Town and good, but if they stay where they are for two or three seasons they WILL rely on the Board as Towns support at home is cr^p and they cannot survive on the crowds they are getting alone. Football money is spread out better than RL so Town have benefitted from that and again good.
But remember the old club went bust cos the club has always lived on scraps so as I say these are good times but how long will they last?

If the clubs stays part time I believe it will stay self solvent. It has done for five years, so what makes you think it won't this year?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5865No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 22 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 19 22:2225th Nov 18 21:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: council statement. : Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 pm  
Can somebody turn this guy off this is the HALIFAX RLFC fans messageboard please get him off here he does your nut in the smart ar$e always has an answer.
RankPostsTeam
International Star119No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Nov 13 18:2117th Nov 13 23:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: council statement. : Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:41 pm  
Fax4Life wrote:
Can somebody turn this guy off this is the HALIFAX RLFC fans messageboard please get him off here he does your nut in the smart ar$e always has an answer.

Why ask a question if you don't want an answer?
RankPostsTeam
International Star778No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 08 201312 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Jan 19 06:2929th Jan 19 06:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Soon be Monday.

Re: council statement. : Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:58 am  
Supergeoff wont be watching the shaymen today, fact.
faxcar 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4565
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 201014 years62nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Oct 24 20:139th Oct 24 10:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: council statement. : Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:56 am  
SuperGeoff wrote:
1. I'm sure if you had the intelligence levels to read you'd realise I was simply answering what was put to me. IF as you say the council wanted to sell the Shay then TA wasn't even capable of buying something that the council were practically giving away.

2. The club has made money of its own accord, through the sale of Jamie Vardy and the FA Cup runs. A look at the accounts will tell you the directors loans are still only 34k. We haven't needed our board to pump money in other than day 1 to get us started. Since then the club has been self sufficient. Not quite sure how clearly you need this to be spelt out to you. Obviously your football agenda and the fact that your own club is in the red makes you think it is impossible for the club to be making a profit.

3. I was at the town Q&A. Were you?

1. So the council were now selling again at a give away price but TA could not afford it so that's why it is now not for sale. SuperGeoff logic again just to try and slag TA off.

I have had a word with my doctor about getting my intelligence levels to the same as yours and he has said that by removing my entire brain and leaving my skull entirely empty would be the way to go.

A simpleton can anly give a simple answer including mutiple contradictions to the same question but they wouldn't know and the question is never answered.

Any BOD that would sell players rather than keep them lacks finances and ambition, hence the term.
"A selling club" For them progress will be limited and they will soon find there level before slowly slipping back down.

Your not sure on anything as you change your story everytime you post so no suprises there.

2. I have no football agenda but I want Town to win every game and do as well as they can irrespective of what anybody else does, rugby, soccer or otherwise.
In fact I have suported them since I was a young lad even when the rest of my mates chose Leeds or Huddersfield.

My own club being in the red, you clearly do not understand how finances work and again are reading what you want to read into balance sheets just to slag someone off again.

Have you not heard of the term "credit" which means to manage funds so you pay them when it is best to so without defaulting and getting into debt.

Part of the entire financial system world wide is built on credit and you are always paying catch up but I don't expect you to understand.
faxcar 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4565
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 201014 years62nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: council statement. : Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:58 am  
SuperGeoff wrote:
Great post, Gavin.

I agree, Gavin is a great post.
faxcar 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4565
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 201014 years62nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: council statement. : Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:00 am  
SuperGeoff wrote:
Why ask a question if you don't want an answer?

Why give an answer if you can't even understand the question.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8194No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 04 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jul 15 09:2723rd Apr 15 08:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
FAILURE ISN'T ABOUT FALLING DOWN, FAILURE IS STAYING DOWN..........

Re: council statement. : Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:36 am  
SuperGeoff wrote:
You have to pass the ball backwards AND forwards. It make sense as to why you dislike it now. As I said, you're welcome to your opinion, but I'm just glad the rest of the world don't agree.

Just don't pass the ball backwards to Joe Hart eh ? Best 'keeper in our country PFFFFT. Stood around doing jack all game & can't even catch a big ball with gloves on, with gloves on I tell thee......

Just my attempt at lightening this bitch-fest up a little.
Bubba 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5606
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 200223 years310th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Oct 24 08:0627th Sep 24 08:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Loving the hypocrisy of some.

Re: council statement. : Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:41 am  
Fax4Life wrote:
I am happy to hear the Town are in the black as having seen them struggle over 40 years especially in the late seventies and eighties but come on you saying that the Town Board don't fund them at all, even this season?
While you are on here Gavin tell me how many does the Halifax Town Supporters Trust represent now and how is it constituted, when are its meetings and what is its purpose?

I agree. Maybe thats why FCHT supporters are a bit more wary about the stadium falling into the hands of a private owner because we are more aware and maybe even more paranoid about future problems given our past. But why would the Town directors need to fund them this season? There was almost £200k in the bank on the previous financial return. If they are having to fund the club the I would be concerned, but there is no proof that they are or even need to.

Not sure on our membership numbers. They are certainly not as high as we would like but we have been pretty dormant over the last few years. I read on here that I had supposedly walked away from the Trust. That never happened!

Councillor Roger Taylor is the chair of our board which has 6 members. We are members of Supporters Direct, who have been a great help this past month or so - aren't Fax Trust still members of SD? In fact I have been invited to speak at a rugby league Supporters Direct event in January about the ACV - will Fax Trust be in attendance?

We have over £10k in the bank, hold an annual meeting and submit our annual financial returns to the FCA. We didnt get off to the best of starts with the club owners but there is dialogue now.

I know my name is mud on here so I want to try justify why we have done what we have. From our point of view it was never a football vs rugby issue. Of course there would have been FCHT supporters who would have been delighted had it been David Bosomworth trying to buy the Shay. But I would like to think that the majority who have been against any sale, have been because of the future risks to both clubs.

When it became apparent, or at least according to Tony Abbot, that a sale of the Shay was weeks away I think everyone would agree that it hadn't been done the right way. We are not talking about a plot of land for building a little garage. We are talking about a sport stadia which has huge emotion attached to it and home to the towns two main sporting clubs.

There had been absolutely no transparency and the only way to at least ensure if any sale was to be made it would be done to the benefit of the Calderdale taxpayer was to apply for the ACV. The Trust, as a Industrial & Provident Society, was the perfect vehicle to put in the application. There are other ways and other groups that could have done it but it made sense for the Trust to take the lead.

I dont know Tony Abbott personally but know people who do and there isnt a bad word said about him. However, managed better, with a bit more thought than bravado, he could have taken everyone along with his ideas. But by trying to do it behind the back of the football club was always only going to end in tears.

You mentioned that it was the protest march which led to the council deciding to complete the East Stand. I am not sure if you really believe that or not but the protest march was organised when the council talked about selling the Shay to a private owner - about 4 years prior to work on the East Stand beginning. Ian Griffiths was the main organiser, I was involved as were others from both clubs because we understood the risks that came with the Shay falling into the hands of an individual or organisation other than the Council.

My interest in the future of the Shay stretches back before this. I was part of the joint working party of HTST and Fax Trust which put together the document which started the discussion leading to the Shay Stadium Trust. The others were Peter Lassey, Joanne Cardwell and from Fax Trust Adrian Vaughan, Andrew Hamer and Robin Smith. http://theshay.org/wp/?p=55

I wanted to point this out to show than my ideology of community ownership/management is long running and not just because it was Tony Abbott - major shareholder of HRLFC.

The football supporters view has remained pretty consistent over the ownership of the Shay but there has been a huge degree of hypocrisy on here.

In 2005 you were against private ownership. In 2009 you were all for the council spending almost £6m on completing the East Stand. But all of a sudden you are desperate for the council to sell the Shay because of the drain on the resources of the tax payer. Where was the uproar when CMBC announced that they were going to take out prudential borrowing to complete the East Stand? Where was the uproar a year ago when CMBC were continuing to subsidise the Shay? Lets face facts, you have only begun to kick up a stink when you became misty eyed at the possibility of the man who HRLFC's future depends on announced he wanted to buy the Shay.

When taking a look at the legal aspect of the council selling the stadium it became apparent that there could be no undervalued sale of the Shay. The council officers either didn't understand the legislation or they were hoping that nobody else did. As the concerned tax payers that you are, surely you would want the council to sell off the Shay - with the same constraints they were saying would be attached to any sale to TA - to the highest bidder, getting the best return in?

I dont think any of us would want the council selling the Shay to any old random. OK TA may not be any old random, but who says he wont sell it on to any old random at some point in the future? This is just one of the many risks a sale to him would have had.

In the communications I have had with various Councillors I got the feeling that there was no appetite for selling the stadium. The annual running costs when compared to other Council owned property are not ridiciulous. I dont think it is specifically this which is the major concern. The problem is meeting the future investment needs of the stadium, for example the redevelopment of the Skircoat Stand which will be necessary at some point in the future.

Thats why it is important that the council find a suitable way forward where they retain ownership, maximise the potential and make sure the stadium works for the benefit of the Calderdale taxpayer and equally the two clubs. And I think everyone has a part to play in finding this workable solution.

Believe it or not, the saddest thing about this whole episode is the damage of the relations between both sets of supporters and possibly the two clubs. I have said some stupid things over the years but I would like nothing more than two successful clubs playing in a quality stadium and enjoying a bit of harmony.
Fax4Life wrote:
I am happy to hear the Town are in the black as having seen them struggle over 40 years especially in the late seventies and eighties but come on you saying that the Town Board don't fund them at all, even this season?
While you are on here Gavin tell me how many does the Halifax Town Supporters Trust represent now and how is it constituted, when are its meetings and what is its purpose?

I agree. Maybe thats why FCHT supporters are a bit more wary about the stadium falling into the hands of a private owner because we are more aware and maybe even more paranoid about future problems given our past. But why would the Town directors need to fund them this season? There was almost £200k in the bank on the previous financial return. If they are having to fund the club the I would be concerned, but there is no proof that they are or even need to.

Not sure on our membership numbers. They are certainly not as high as we would like but we have been pretty dormant over the last few years. I read on here that I had supposedly walked away from the Trust. That never happened!

Councillor Roger Taylor is the chair of our board which has 6 members. We are members of Supporters Direct, who have been a great help this past month or so - aren't Fax Trust still members of SD? In fact I have been invited to speak at a rugby league Supporters Direct event in January about the ACV - will Fax Trust be in attendance?

We have over £10k in the bank, hold an annual meeting and submit our annual financial returns to the FCA. We didnt get off to the best of starts with the club owners but there is dialogue now.

I know my name is mud on here so I want to try justify why we have done what we have. From our point of view it was never a football vs rugby issue. Of course there would have been FCHT supporters who would have been delighted had it been David Bosomworth trying to buy the Shay. But I would like to think that the majority who have been against any sale, have been because of the future risks to both clubs.

When it became apparent, or at least according to Tony Abbot, that a sale of the Shay was weeks away I think everyone would agree that it hadn't been done the right way. We are not talking about a plot of land for building a little garage. We are talking about a sport stadia which has huge emotion attached to it and home to the towns two main sporting clubs.

There had been absolutely no transparency and the only way to at least ensure if any sale was to be made it would be done to the benefit of the Calderdale taxpayer was to apply for the ACV. The Trust, as a Industrial & Provident Society, was the perfect vehicle to put in the application. There are other ways and other groups that could have done it but it made sense for the Trust to take the lead.

I dont know Tony Abbott personally but know people who do and there isnt a bad word said about him. However, managed better, with a bit more thought than bravado, he could have taken everyone along with his ideas. But by trying to do it behind the back of the football club was always only going to end in tears.

You mentioned that it was the protest march which led to the council deciding to complete the East Stand. I am not sure if you really believe that or not but the protest march was organised when the council talked about selling the Shay to a private owner - about 4 years prior to work on the East Stand beginning. Ian Griffiths was the main organiser, I was involved as were others from both clubs because we understood the risks that came with the Shay falling into the hands of an individual or organisation other than the Council.

My interest in the future of the Shay stretches back before this. I was part of the joint working party of HTST and Fax Trust which put together the document which started the discussion leading to the Shay Stadium Trust. The others were Peter Lassey, Joanne Cardwell and from Fax Trust Adrian Vaughan, Andrew Hamer and Robin Smith. http://theshay.org/wp/?p=55

I wanted to point this out to show than my ideology of community ownership/management is long running and not just because it was Tony Abbott - major shareholder of HRLFC.

The football supporters view has remained pretty consistent over the ownership of the Shay but there has been a huge degree of hypocrisy on here.

In 2005 you were against private ownership. In 2009 you were all for the council spending almost £6m on completing the East Stand. But all of a sudden you are desperate for the council to sell the Shay because of the drain on the resources of the tax payer. Where was the uproar when CMBC announced that they were going to take out prudential borrowing to complete the East Stand? Where was the uproar a year ago when CMBC were continuing to subsidise the Shay? Lets face facts, you have only begun to kick up a stink when you became misty eyed at the possibility of the man who HRLFC's future depends on announced he wanted to buy the Shay.

When taking a look at the legal aspect of the council selling the stadium it became apparent that there could be no undervalued sale of the Shay. The council officers either didn't understand the legislation or they were hoping that nobody else did. As the concerned tax payers that you are, surely you would want the council to sell off the Shay - with the same constraints they were saying would be attached to any sale to TA - to the highest bidder, getting the best return in?

I dont think any of us would want the council selling the Shay to any old random. OK TA may not be any old random, but who says he wont sell it on to any old random at some point in the future? This is just one of the many risks a sale to him would have had.

In the communications I have had with various Councillors I got the feeling that there was no appetite for selling the stadium. The annual running costs when compared to other Council owned property are not ridiciulous. I dont think it is specifically this which is the major concern. The problem is meeting the future investment needs of the stadium, for example the redevelopment of the Skircoat Stand which will be necessary at some point in the future.

Thats why it is important that the council find a suitable way forward where they retain ownership, maximise the potential and make sure the stadium works for the benefit of the Calderdale taxpayer and equally the two clubs. And I think everyone has a part to play in finding this workable solution.

Believe it or not, the saddest thing about this whole episode is the damage of the relations between both sets of supporters and possibly the two clubs. I have said some stupid things over the years but I would like nothing more than two successful clubs playing in a quality stadium and enjoying a bit of harmony.
PreviousNext