FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Remember these?
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8296
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 21 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 18 17:178th May 17 19:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
RFL = FAIL

Remember these? : Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:51 pm  
Q & A WITH BEN FISHER

Which bright spark gave you the nickname ‘Nemo’?
I think it was Anthony Blackwood. He’s certainly the one who calls it me the most.

Who do you admire within Rugby League?
Brad Fittler. Just how professional he is when he plays football. You see him do something bad, and he’ll just clap it off or laugh it off because you know that he won’t do it again. I admire players like Shane Webcke; and basically prop forwards because they’ve got the hardest job on the field.

What’s your favourite music/food/car?
Music- Ben Harper. His album is Diamonds on the Inside, so if you’ve never heard of him, give the album a try.

Food- a nice 400g rump steak.

Car – the Batmobile!

Which two props would you like either side of you?
At Halifax; Andy Hobson, hands down. Because of his pure aggression and willingness to go forward for you. And a player like Chris Birchall who will get you a quick play-the-ball. If I could have any props they’d be Shane Webcke, because he’s such a workhorse, and Paul Harrigan to come out the line and knock someone’s head off.

What are your real thoughts on life in Halifax?
I enjoy the life in Halifax, especially now it’s starting to get warmer. It’s just getting used to coming from forty degrees every day at home to zero over here. But, the people here are really good, make it easy to enjoy being in Halifax.

What do you think out chances of promotion are?
Very good. I don’t know much about the football over here, and we’ve only really had Hull to test us. And even then I think we’re a better team than Hull. We’re as good as any team on its day, and although we’ve only been together for such a short time we all want to play for each other.

So the confidence and mood at the club is pretty good?
Yeah. Everyone wants to play for the rest, and we all respect Faz as a coach. And when you look at the coaching staff that we’ve got, Dicko, Scotty and Faz, they’ve all played at the top, the highest level you can be. There’s a lot of experience between them. And at training there’s Simon and John Wray. There are a lot of professionals at the club who know how to win games and what a winning team needs.

Do you enjoy playing for the club, and do you miss the hot weather?
I do enjoy playing for Halifax. And the weather is going to get better. I’ve never seen snow before. Never seen falling snow in my life, so it was a bit of a novelty. Then when it kept coming, I just wished it would go away.

You and Ben (Black) have been two gems. Are there any more waiting to be discovered in your old team?
There are a lot of good players back home, playing with the Bears. I have to say Matt Thurston and Namila Davui would definitely make the league over here. Namila is from Fiji, and is an unbelievable player. An outside back, who could play back row or front.

Are you looking forward to facing Castleford, and in particular Andy Henderson?
Definitely. I want to play Castleford as they’re supposed to be the benchmark in this league. You always want to pit yourself against the benchmark to see how you go. I’ve known Andy Henderson since I was fifteen and I’m really good mates with his brother, Kevin, who’s at Leigh now. I played against Andy last year, and I can’t wait to play against him again. Should be a good battle.

A message board for the Bears said you were originally headed for Featherstone. Is this true? And if so, what made you sign for Halifax instead?
I’m not sure. My agent spoke to a few clubs, and I’m not sure if Featherstone was one. But, the reason I chose to come to Halifax is that pretty much you look at the support staff they’ve got, and the professionalism they’ve got behind the club. Blacky also had a good influence, and Greg Florimo gave the place nothing but big wraps. He said it was a really nice place and they’ll treat you well. Basically, off the back of his word, that’s all I really needed.

I (Waddy-Fax) described you as a busy hooker. What type of hooker would you describe yourself as?
Tired!! I like to keep myself busy. I get bored easily.

Who are your favourite hookers, current and past?
Past – I’d have to say Ben Elias. He changed the way hookers played their game. Normally, hookers were just service players, and tacklers. He changed that, making it more of an attacking role, and an integral part of a rugby league team.
Current – Cameron Smith of Melbourne Storm, he’s got everything a hooker needs. And, obviously Danny Buderus. If you take a break from him for a second, he’ll make you pay for it.

Which players have you modeled your game on?
For the past few years I’ve been watching Danny Buderus a lot closer just to see where the green lights are, and when’s the best time to go. He hasn’t got much of a kicking game, but Cameron Smith has got that off pat. So, if you’ve got a hooker that can kick, and attack, and hit, then obviously it’s going to be all good for the team.

Do you come from a family with a strong rugby background?
I wouldn’t really say that strong. My dad played rugby union, he never played league. He played for a few years at Bondi United. All my brothers play league, still play with my local team. I’ve been playing since I was about four. Dad took my brother to a game, and just wanted something to do with me. So, instead of standing around bored, just hassling him for money and food, he just thought he’d get me a pair of boots and put me in there.

(Girvie) Which team did you support as a child?
Canberra Raiders. And the Bears, because I was a Bears junior. I really enjoyed watching Flo, Gary Larsson and Craig Wilson. He was definitely one of my favourites.

[b](Girvie) What was the best thing about playing for the bears?[/b]
Being able to get feedback from Greg Florimo and Gary Larsson; two players who have done just about everything in rugby league. And for them to be able to help you with your game and to be playing for a couple of your idols is a big bonus. Also, the spirit of the Bears, like the guys there have in the team, playing for each other and for pride.

(Girvie) Was it a hard decision to move overseas to play?
It was, and it wasn’t. I felt like it was time for a bit of a change and I wanted to play a higher level of football than I could at the Bears, because they didn’t have the option to do it. To go into first grade, the NRL would have to admit us as the sixteenth team, but it just wasn’t happening. I had to look to my future, and Blacky coming over here made it easier for me as I’ve known him for years.

(Girvie) What did you learn from playing at the Bears?
Toughness, pretty much. Gary Larsson hates weakness, and Faz is the same. If you’re hurt and you have to come off; then you come off. If you’re hurt and you can keep going; you get up and tough it out.

(Girvie) Would you ever consider going back and trying to crack the NRL after achieving your goals in England?
Yeah, of course I would. But, I’ve got a few goals I want to achieve here, and I’m not going to be able to do that in one or two years. So, I’m going to be here as long as I’m playing good football. I want to make this my home.

(Girvie) Would you ever consider playing for the bears again?
Of course I would! I enjoyed it there. I enjoyed the people there, the staff, and the welcome. I loved playing for the Bears.

Do you think that you will play in other positions apart from hooker? If so, which?
I have played at half-back. I can fill that spot. So, when Benny (Black) gets it, I can fill in there. It’s a position I can fill, but I like being busy, so I don’t like standing out wide and not getting much contact in the game. Half-back I can fill, maybe loose forward. I haven’t tried that for a while.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself; where you’re from, playing career, etc.?
I started at North Shore in Sydney, which is about half an hour out of the heart of the city. I started playing with a junior rugby league squad call Asquith Rugby League Club. Played in the junior Bears squad, and then went to the Roosters for four years, before returning to the Bears and coming over here.
At the Roosters, I got into their first team but couldn’t get a start at first grade because of all the quality players ahead of me. It’s a hard thing to crack into.

If you could sign any three players for the club, who would they be, and why?
I’d love to play with Brad Fittler after having trained with him. It’d be good just to see how he is on the field. Players like Gibbo and Blacky have played against him. Shane Webcke and Paul Harrigan as well for their sheer brutality. They are what rugby league is all about. They just give and give, no matter how broken their bodies are. ‘Spud’ Carroll was the same. Also, Matty Bowen. He’s just a freak. He can do anything on the field.

Injuries have already taken their toll this year. Are you and the team confident that the squad is good enough to overcome this situation?
Yeah, I do. I think the players that Dicko and Faz have got together are a bunch of versatile players. Like Bunny (James Bunyan) who can play centre and back row, and Bloemy who can play anywhere you want him to. New signing Freddie (Tuilagi) can play in the forwards or the backs, so we can cover all the positions as we’ve shown already. With six players out we’ve been touching teams up, even though they may not have been on a par with us. We did play Hull Kingston Rovers with their full strength side out, and at times we just let the game get away from us. But, I think that we can cover the injuries, and there’s not one player here that we rely on to win a game, we’ve got a group of players here can win the game. Everyone’s mentally tough, and we all know that defence wins the game. So, as long as we work together we can win the game.

Blacky said that the main difference between the game here and in Australia is that it’s dirtier over here. Do you agree, and what differences are there to the game in Australia?
It is a little bit dirtier over here. I think I’ve had one blue on the field in my entire life, and I’ve had one here already! Well that’s football, isn’t it? It’s hardly netball, is it? That’s why it’s the toughest game in the world. I think that the main difference between the games is that if you turn the ball over here, I’m confident that we can hold them out for two or three sets. One of the teams back home will make you pay for everything you give them. I think that’s because every team back home has nine or ten full-time players in every side, so there’s that professionalism. Kind of like, if you give Castleford the ball ten metres out from your line, you’re doing really well to hold them out, because they’re a professional team and they know their role and they’ve got it down. I think that the only difference, really, is the amount of full-time professionals that don’t have to work every day.

That can’t be easy for you to go to work every day, and then to go training in the evenings and on a weekend?
They look after us quite well. We don’t have to work full-time. Pat (Weisner), myself, and Wayne (Corcoran) work in the gym, and a few of the other boys. So, we get time to do extra training, which is what you need.

What is the best aspect of your game?
Defence. I like my defence. I’ll never give up, no matter if we’re down 60-0, or 60-0 up. I’ll put in exactly the same effort in no matter what’s going on. Being able to kick also helps. I just need to work on that a little more, get a little better at it, and then I’ll be more confident to do it. But, when you’ve got players like Pat and Donk (Dean Lawford) around you on the field who can kick fifty or sixty yards on the full, there’s no real need.

What are your goals in the game?
Firstly; to make the Scottish team at the end of the year. My family is from Glasgow, and I’ve never seen them. When I get some time off, I’d like to go see my relatives.
Secondly; get Fax back into Super League, or secure a Super League trial contract, because I want to play there. I think that Fax can do it; I have no doubts about that.

Do you have any pre-match rituals, or superstitions?
Yeah, I’m fairly superstitious. I’ve got to have either lasagna or spaghetti Bolognese the night before a game; I’ve got to have a bath or a sauna early, sort of relax in the bath or shower, then have a bit of a stretch. I like getting up a few hours before and having a walk around, say a little prayer, then get on with the job. I also rotate two pairs of underwear depending on which I do well in.

In the short time that Greg Florimo was with Halifax, he made his mark at the club and with the fans. What is your perception of him at Norths?
An amazing man. He knows so much about rugby league that when he talks, you just listen. He was the general manager when I was playing there, not coaching us, and if he saw something out there on the field, he told ‘Larry’ Larsson to tell us. And eighty per cent of the time, if we did that it worked for us. He can pick what’s going on, can pick players, and he’s such a strong presence, too. When he’s around, you respect what he’s doing. If he’s in the gym, you want to work as hard as you can; if he’s talking, you shut up and listen.

Are there any changes that you’d make to the rules of the game?
Yeah. I would make it that you don’t have to wait for them to take the tap (penalty). As soon as you kick the ball out and get the ball, you should be able to tap and go straight away. It makes the game slow how it is now. Penalties, when they give you the mark, they should blow the whistle straight away. I like a speedy game, a fast game.

Does the coaching style and training regime at Halifax differ much from that at the Bears?
Not really. It’s fairly similar actually. At the Bears we’d train five nights a week, there’d be a strapper at every session, and a masseuse before and after every game. They just have a little bit more resources there. But, the professionalism here is second to none. If you need something, the club will bend over backwards to make sure that you’re happy. When you get a club like that, you want to do your best for them.

Do you watch any of the under 21’s games?
Yeah, I do. I’ve seen the two games at the Shay, and the Leeds one on video, and I enjoyed them.

Who is a prospect for the future?
Wayne Corcoran; he’s a good footballer. Danny Jones, as well. Jode Sheriffe. They said that last year he wasn’t really playing that well, or he didn’t really have his head into it. But, this year he’s killing it! He won’t take a backward step, and he’s only eighteen years old. He’s got a massive future in front of him, and if he keeps his head on he’ll be playing Super League before he’s twenty. And he’s only going to get bigger and faster, too.

There have been several players receiving fines and bans for the use of prohibited substances in recent months in this country. What is your view on this as a player, and is there a similar problem in Australia?
Things like steroids and that, I don’t agree with them at all. Personally, I think that if I make first grade or Super League and I achieve something, then I want to know that I’ve done it by myself. That’s why I wouldn’t touch them. Players that use them, then that’s their decision, really. They’ve got to look at themselves and think that maybe they’ve made a mistake, and then I respect that. But, when you make a decision, then you’ve got to live with it. I’m not going to judge someone just because they’ve taken something, that’s their choice, and it’s not mine.

Has it been much of a culture shock for you in coming to England?
Yeah, it has been a little bit actually. Back home, you can look at the fans and you’d get maybe one or two hundred at a game, at best. And this is in a stadium that holds twenty thousand people. Sometimes when we play at places like Newcastle, there’d be eighteen thousand, or there about. But, they’re insane and they give it to you. The fans over here are just amazing. When we played that first game against Huddersfield, I couldn’t believe it; I thought it was that good. I thought there were ten thousand in there, and there was only seventeen hundred. I love it when they get behind us; it makes you want to play for them, too. Because they pay their money to come through the gate, it makes you want to work hard to get the result that they want. And the weather!! It’s a bit of a change. You see the first couple of weeks I was never used to this kind of weather. Back home, I never used to take a jumper out. If I walked outside, it’d be blue skies and I’d wear just a pair of pants. Over here; FREEZE!! I got caught a couple of times just wearing my board shorts, and I was absolutely freezing. I’d go out, the sun would be out, it was nice, and then forty-five minutes later it would be raining. I got caught out a couple of time like that. Now, I take a jumper everywhere with me.

Do you ever browse the Halifax fans website at all?
Every now and then I pop on and have a look, see what’s going on, and hopefully no-one’s bagging me too much. Some of my friends back home jump on and have a look. I think my Mum looks every now and then, see how I’ve played.

I did this particular one at the back end of March in 2005 not long after Ben had joined Halifax. Cracking fella! Would anyone like me to start doing these again, (with the club's consent, of course)?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6698No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Mar 17 06:4010th Feb 17 18:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
And Behold, a pale horse. And on his back his name was death.

The weekend starts on a Monday.

Re: Remember these? : Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:59 pm  
Yes of course, I think it would be great.
Full steam ahead.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3533
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 24 201014 years319th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Nov 23 07:519th Jul 23 16:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Remember these? : Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:15 pm  
Yep, but you'll have to drop the 'how are you finding it England' type questions for our squad these days.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6698No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Remember these? : Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:44 pm  
Norman Bates wrote:
Yep, but you'll have to drop the 'how are you finding it England' type questions for our squad these days.

Excellent.
:lol:
Brew 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman25865
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200223 years281st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Oct 24 11:024th Oct 24 07:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Black Red Blue Green

Re: Remember these? : Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:03 am  
There were some quality interviews way back when,

Remember the feel good factor around fisher? We'd unearthed a gem, I'd love to see us bring a player in in the quota spot if we could find someone like him again!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13012No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 07 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 21 18:172nd Apr 20 17:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Remember these? : Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:12 am  
Tortured Soul wrote:
Q & A WITH BEN FISHER

Which bright spark gave you the nickname ‘Nemo’?
I think it was Anthony Blackwood. He’s certainly the one who calls it me the most.

Who do you admire within Rugby League?
Brad Fittler. Just how professional he is when he plays football. You see him do something bad, and he’ll just clap it off or laugh it off because you know that he won’t do it again. I admire players like Shane Webcke; and basically prop forwards because they’ve got the hardest job on the field.

What’s your favourite music/food/car?
Music- Ben Harper. His album is Diamonds on the Inside, so if you’ve never heard of him, give the album a try.

Food- a nice 400g rump steak.

Car – the Batmobile!

Which two props would you like either side of you?
At Halifax; Andy Hobson, hands down. Because of his pure aggression and willingness to go forward for you. And a player like Chris Birchall who will get you a quick play-the-ball. If I could have any props they’d be Shane Webcke, because he’s such a workhorse, and Paul Harrigan to come out the line and knock someone’s head off.

What are your real thoughts on life in Halifax?
I enjoy the life in Halifax, especially now it’s starting to get warmer. It’s just getting used to coming from forty degrees every day at home to zero over here. But, the people here are really good, make it easy to enjoy being in Halifax.

What do you think out chances of promotion are?
Very good. I don’t know much about the football over here, and we’ve only really had Hull to test us. And even then I think we’re a better team than Hull. We’re as good as any team on its day, and although we’ve only been together for such a short time we all want to play for each other.

So the confidence and mood at the club is pretty good?
Yeah. Everyone wants to play for the rest, and we all respect Faz as a coach. And when you look at the coaching staff that we’ve got, Dicko, Scotty and Faz, they’ve all played at the top, the highest level you can be. There’s a lot of experience between them. And at training there’s Simon and John Wray. There are a lot of professionals at the club who know how to win games and what a winning team needs.

Do you enjoy playing for the club, and do you miss the hot weather?
I do enjoy playing for Halifax. And the weather is going to get better. I’ve never seen snow before. Never seen falling snow in my life, so it was a bit of a novelty. Then when it kept coming, I just wished it would go away.

You and Ben (Black) have been two gems. Are there any more waiting to be discovered in your old team?
There are a lot of good players back home, playing with the Bears. I have to say Matt Thurston and Namila Davui would definitely make the league over here. Namila is from Fiji, and is an unbelievable player. An outside back, who could play back row or front.

Are you looking forward to facing Castleford, and in particular Andy Henderson?
Definitely. I want to play Castleford as they’re supposed to be the benchmark in this league. You always want to pit yourself against the benchmark to see how you go. I’ve known Andy Henderson since I was fifteen and I’m really good mates with his brother, Kevin, who’s at Leigh now. I played against Andy last year, and I can’t wait to play against him again. Should be a good battle.

A message board for the Bears said you were originally headed for Featherstone. Is this true? And if so, what made you sign for Halifax instead?
I’m not sure. My agent spoke to a few clubs, and I’m not sure if Featherstone was one. But, the reason I chose to come to Halifax is that pretty much you look at the support staff they’ve got, and the professionalism they’ve got behind the club. Blacky also had a good influence, and Greg Florimo gave the place nothing but big wraps. He said it was a really nice place and they’ll treat you well. Basically, off the back of his word, that’s all I really needed.

I (Waddy-Fax) described you as a busy hooker. What type of hooker would you describe yourself as?
Tired!! I like to keep myself busy. I get bored easily.

Who are your favourite hookers, current and past?
Past – I’d have to say Ben Elias. He changed the way hookers played their game. Normally, hookers were just service players, and tacklers. He changed that, making it more of an attacking role, and an integral part of a rugby league team.
Current – Cameron Smith of Melbourne Storm, he’s got everything a hooker needs. And, obviously Danny Buderus. If you take a break from him for a second, he’ll make you pay for it.

Which players have you modeled your game on?
For the past few years I’ve been watching Danny Buderus a lot closer just to see where the green lights are, and when’s the best time to go. He hasn’t got much of a kicking game, but Cameron Smith has got that off pat. So, if you’ve got a hooker that can kick, and attack, and hit, then obviously it’s going to be all good for the team.

Do you come from a family with a strong rugby background?
I wouldn’t really say that strong. My dad played rugby union, he never played league. He played for a few years at Bondi United. All my brothers play league, still play with my local team. I’ve been playing since I was about four. Dad took my brother to a game, and just wanted something to do with me. So, instead of standing around bored, just hassling him for money and food, he just thought he’d get me a pair of boots and put me in there.

(Girvie) Which team did you support as a child?
Canberra Raiders. And the Bears, because I was a Bears junior. I really enjoyed watching Flo, Gary Larsson and Craig Wilson. He was definitely one of my favourites.

[b](Girvie) What was the best thing about playing for the bears?[/b]
Being able to get feedback from Greg Florimo and Gary Larsson; two players who have done just about everything in rugby league. And for them to be able to help you with your game and to be playing for a couple of your idols is a big bonus. Also, the spirit of the Bears, like the guys there have in the team, playing for each other and for pride.

(Girvie) Was it a hard decision to move overseas to play?
It was, and it wasn’t. I felt like it was time for a bit of a change and I wanted to play a higher level of football than I could at the Bears, because they didn’t have the option to do it. To go into first grade, the NRL would have to admit us as the sixteenth team, but it just wasn’t happening. I had to look to my future, and Blacky coming over here made it easier for me as I’ve known him for years.

(Girvie) What did you learn from playing at the Bears?
Toughness, pretty much. Gary Larsson hates weakness, and Faz is the same. If you’re hurt and you have to come off; then you come off. If you’re hurt and you can keep going; you get up and tough it out.

(Girvie) Would you ever consider going back and trying to crack the NRL after achieving your goals in England?
Yeah, of course I would. But, I’ve got a few goals I want to achieve here, and I’m not going to be able to do that in one or two years. So, I’m going to be here as long as I’m playing good football. I want to make this my home.

(Girvie) Would you ever consider playing for the bears again?
Of course I would! I enjoyed it there. I enjoyed the people there, the staff, and the welcome. I loved playing for the Bears.

Do you think that you will play in other positions apart from hooker? If so, which?
I have played at half-back. I can fill that spot. So, when Benny (Black) gets it, I can fill in there. It’s a position I can fill, but I like being busy, so I don’t like standing out wide and not getting much contact in the game. Half-back I can fill, maybe loose forward. I haven’t tried that for a while.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself; where you’re from, playing career, etc.?
I started at North Shore in Sydney, which is about half an hour out of the heart of the city. I started playing with a junior rugby league squad call Asquith Rugby League Club. Played in the junior Bears squad, and then went to the Roosters for four years, before returning to the Bears and coming over here.
At the Roosters, I got into their first team but couldn’t get a start at first grade because of all the quality players ahead of me. It’s a hard thing to crack into.

If you could sign any three players for the club, who would they be, and why?
I’d love to play with Brad Fittler after having trained with him. It’d be good just to see how he is on the field. Players like Gibbo and Blacky have played against him. Shane Webcke and Paul Harrigan as well for their sheer brutality. They are what rugby league is all about. They just give and give, no matter how broken their bodies are. ‘Spud’ Carroll was the same. Also, Matty Bowen. He’s just a freak. He can do anything on the field.

Injuries have already taken their toll this year. Are you and the team confident that the squad is good enough to overcome this situation?
Yeah, I do. I think the players that Dicko and Faz have got together are a bunch of versatile players. Like Bunny (James Bunyan) who can play centre and back row, and Bloemy who can play anywhere you want him to. New signing Freddie (Tuilagi) can play in the forwards or the backs, so we can cover all the positions as we’ve shown already. With six players out we’ve been touching teams up, even though they may not have been on a par with us. We did play Hull Kingston Rovers with their full strength side out, and at times we just let the game get away from us. But, I think that we can cover the injuries, and there’s not one player here that we rely on to win a game, we’ve got a group of players here can win the game. Everyone’s mentally tough, and we all know that defence wins the game. So, as long as we work together we can win the game.

Blacky said that the main difference between the game here and in Australia is that it’s dirtier over here. Do you agree, and what differences are there to the game in Australia?
It is a little bit dirtier over here. I think I’ve had one blue on the field in my entire life, and I’ve had one here already! Well that’s football, isn’t it? It’s hardly netball, is it? That’s why it’s the toughest game in the world. I think that the main difference between the games is that if you turn the ball over here, I’m confident that we can hold them out for two or three sets. One of the teams back home will make you pay for everything you give them. I think that’s because every team back home has nine or ten full-time players in every side, so there’s that professionalism. Kind of like, if you give Castleford the ball ten metres out from your line, you’re doing really well to hold them out, because they’re a professional team and they know their role and they’ve got it down. I think that the only difference, really, is the amount of full-time professionals that don’t have to work every day.

That can’t be easy for you to go to work every day, and then to go training in the evenings and on a weekend?
They look after us quite well. We don’t have to work full-time. Pat (Weisner), myself, and Wayne (Corcoran) work in the gym, and a few of the other boys. So, we get time to do extra training, which is what you need.

What is the best aspect of your game?
Defence. I like my defence. I’ll never give up, no matter if we’re down 60-0, or 60-0 up. I’ll put in exactly the same effort in no matter what’s going on. Being able to kick also helps. I just need to work on that a little more, get a little better at it, and then I’ll be more confident to do it. But, when you’ve got players like Pat and Donk (Dean Lawford) around you on the field who can kick fifty or sixty yards on the full, there’s no real need.

What are your goals in the game?
Firstly; to make the Scottish team at the end of the year. My family is from Glasgow, and I’ve never seen them. When I get some time off, I’d like to go see my relatives.
Secondly; get Fax back into Super League, or secure a Super League trial contract, because I want to play there. I think that Fax can do it; I have no doubts about that.

Do you have any pre-match rituals, or superstitions?
Yeah, I’m fairly superstitious. I’ve got to have either lasagna or spaghetti Bolognese the night before a game; I’ve got to have a bath or a sauna early, sort of relax in the bath or shower, then have a bit of a stretch. I like getting up a few hours before and having a walk around, say a little prayer, then get on with the job. I also rotate two pairs of underwear depending on which I do well in.

In the short time that Greg Florimo was with Halifax, he made his mark at the club and with the fans. What is your perception of him at Norths?
An amazing man. He knows so much about rugby league that when he talks, you just listen. He was the general manager when I was playing there, not coaching us, and if he saw something out there on the field, he told ‘Larry’ Larsson to tell us. And eighty per cent of the time, if we did that it worked for us. He can pick what’s going on, can pick players, and he’s such a strong presence, too. When he’s around, you respect what he’s doing. If he’s in the gym, you want to work as hard as you can; if he’s talking, you shut up and listen.

Are there any changes that you’d make to the rules of the game?
Yeah. I would make it that you don’t have to wait for them to take the tap (penalty). As soon as you kick the ball out and get the ball, you should be able to tap and go straight away. It makes the game slow how it is now. Penalties, when they give you the mark, they should blow the whistle straight away. I like a speedy game, a fast game.

Does the coaching style and training regime at Halifax differ much from that at the Bears?
Not really. It’s fairly similar actually. At the Bears we’d train five nights a week, there’d be a strapper at every session, and a masseuse before and after every game. They just have a little bit more resources there. But, the professionalism here is second to none. If you need something, the club will bend over backwards to make sure that you’re happy. When you get a club like that, you want to do your best for them.

Do you watch any of the under 21’s games?
Yeah, I do. I’ve seen the two games at the Shay, and the Leeds one on video, and I enjoyed them.

Who is a prospect for the future?
Wayne Corcoran; he’s a good footballer. Danny Jones, as well. Jode Sheriffe. They said that last year he wasn’t really playing that well, or he didn’t really have his head into it. But, this year he’s killing it! He won’t take a backward step, and he’s only eighteen years old. He’s got a massive future in front of him, and if he keeps his head on he’ll be playing Super League before he’s twenty. And he’s only going to get bigger and faster, too.

There have been several players receiving fines and bans for the use of prohibited substances in recent months in this country. What is your view on this as a player, and is there a similar problem in Australia?
Things like steroids and that, I don’t agree with them at all. Personally, I think that if I make first grade or Super League and I achieve something, then I want to know that I’ve done it by myself. That’s why I wouldn’t touch them. Players that use them, then that’s their decision, really. They’ve got to look at themselves and think that maybe they’ve made a mistake, and then I respect that. But, when you make a decision, then you’ve got to live with it. I’m not going to judge someone just because they’ve taken something, that’s their choice, and it’s not mine.

Has it been much of a culture shock for you in coming to England?
Yeah, it has been a little bit actually. Back home, you can look at the fans and you’d get maybe one or two hundred at a game, at best. And this is in a stadium that holds twenty thousand people. Sometimes when we play at places like Newcastle, there’d be eighteen thousand, or there about. But, they’re insane and they give it to you. The fans over here are just amazing. When we played that first game against Huddersfield, I couldn’t believe it; I thought it was that good. I thought there were ten thousand in there, and there was only seventeen hundred. I love it when they get behind us; it makes you want to play for them, too. Because they pay their money to come through the gate, it makes you want to work hard to get the result that they want. And the weather!! It’s a bit of a change. You see the first couple of weeks I was never used to this kind of weather. Back home, I never used to take a jumper out. If I walked outside, it’d be blue skies and I’d wear just a pair of pants. Over here; FREEZE!! I got caught a couple of times just wearing my board shorts, and I was absolutely freezing. I’d go out, the sun would be out, it was nice, and then forty-five minutes later it would be raining. I got caught out a couple of time like that. Now, I take a jumper everywhere with me.

Do you ever browse the Halifax fans website at all?
Every now and then I pop on and have a look, see what’s going on, and hopefully no-one’s bagging me too much. Some of my friends back home jump on and have a look. I think my Mum looks every now and then, see how I’ve played.

I did this particular one at the back end of March in 2005 not long after Ben had joined Halifax. Cracking fella! Would anyone like me to start doing these again, (with the club's consent, of course)?

Charlie volunteers to interview GFB :wink: .

First question , Why were you born so Beautiful ? :lol: .
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4064
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 23 200222 years320th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Aug 24 14:4523rd Dec 23 22:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Remember these? : Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:53 am  
Is the next line "Why were you born at all?"
triran 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4335
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 200421 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 22 14:3615th Nov 21 09:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Chroesawa at Cymru 'r eilia addef chan Halifax RLFC chwaraewyr!
Signature
Devon Sharks RL - Torbay's ONLY Rugby League Team
[url]www.devonsharksrl.co.uk[/url]

Halifax Community RL (IMBRL) - Halifax TAG Rugby League Team
Wakefield and Featherstone IMBRL Tournament Cup Champions 2007
Hull IMBRL Tournament Plate Winners 2006

"Metal Ashes of Phoenix Show" every Friday 8-10pm on Phoenix FM 96.7 and via the station web site.

Re: Remember these? : Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:57 am  
Fax Machine wrote:
Is the next line "Why were you born at all?"

Harsh.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4064
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 23 200222 years320th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Aug 24 14:4523rd Dec 23 22:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Remember these? : Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 pm  
No offense meant. It's just how the song goes.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6698No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Remember these? : Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:42 pm  
charlie caroli wrote:
Charlie volunteers to interview GFB :wink: .

First question , Why were you born so Beautiful ? :lol: .

Get Penky, Charlie.
First questions would have to be "why did you leave"
Next