JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 years248th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st May 24 20:585th Apr 24 20:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Leeds Rhinos? 8 for you, Leeds Rhinos! You go, Leeds Rhinos.

And none for Castleford Tigers. Bye!

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:27 pm  
The big rumour around the time was that he been drunk and got lost in Perpignan airport. Anyone who has been there will realise he must have been reeeally drunk, cos that airport is tiny.

If true, of course.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator9083
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200618 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 14:293rd May 24 08:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:14 am  
Holmes wrote:
Didn't Danny Ward breach club rules several times then the final straw was him getting drunk and having a punch-up at Diskin's wedding?

Thats the rumour I heard. Took a swing at Tony Smith at the wedding. Probably all bunkum but still....

When Tony Smith came in, put an end to the drinking culture, stopped the infamous "Dews Fests" and generally cleaned up the squad. Some got onboard, some didnt want to.

He eventually rinsed the ones who didnt get onboard.
DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 09:0818th Apr 24 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:15 am  
Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino wrote:
Thats the rumour I heard. Took a swing at Tony Smith at the wedding. Probably all bunkum but still....

When Tony Smith came in, put an end to the drinking culture, stopped the infamous "Dews Fests" and generally cleaned up the squad. Some got onboard, some didnt want to.

He eventually rinsed the ones who didnt get onboard.

I've never got it. You do a job and everyone expects you to be sober when you turn up and fit for work every time. They are professional sportsmen paid good money and asked by their employer to follow a few simple rules. Having said that we had the same at U16's at our RU club. It's a competitive game Sunday morning so don't go out and spend all night drinking at a party the night before. We played a Bristol club and the entire back division had been up all night on the lash. It was embarrassing. The coaches sent out the message that if you rocked up "unfit" to play then you would be dropped for three weeks. I think it was the right message, especially at that age, to act responsibly. Adults at a junior club can do what they want - it was practically a requirement when I played to be hung over on a Saturday afternoon. But professionals? One request, don't get drunk when we ask you not to. Nothing sadder than an interview I saw with Gareth Hock moaning about the time Steve McBanana sent him and Hardaker home.
Some of the extracts from Sean Long's autobiography answered the question regarding why he never became the best half in the world and was almost always awful for GB/England. Imagine if he'd just not been p!$$ed all the time.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator9083
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200618 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:47 am  
DHM wrote:
I've never got it. You do a job and everyone expects you to be sober when you turn up and fit for work every time. They are professional sportsmen paid good money and asked by their employer to follow a few simple rules. Having said that we had the same at U16's at our RU club. It's a competitive game Sunday morning so don't go out and spend all night drinking at a party the night before. We played a Bristol club and the entire back division had been up all night on the lash. It was embarrassing. The coaches sent out the message that if you rocked up "unfit" to play then you would be dropped for three weeks. I think it was the right message, especially at that age, to act responsibly. Adults at a junior club can do what they want - it was practically a requirement when I played to be hung over on a Saturday afternoon. But professionals? One request, don't get drunk when we ask you not to. Nothing sadder than an interview I saw with Gareth Hock moaning about the time Steve McBanana sent him and Hardaker home.
Some of the extracts from Sean Long's autobiography answered the question regarding why he never became the best half in the world and was almost always awful for GB/England. Imagine if he'd just not been p!$$ed all the time.

Yeah,, solid post there DHM.

TBF, its a bloody hard, stressfull job and somewhere along the line, you are going to need some sort of "crutch" that you are going to develop / feed either in the short or long term.

Drinking culture has been around from year dot, its everywhere and its a hard circle to come out of. I used to be in catering for years and the level of what you can only call substance abuse is rife. Thats another high pressure, results based cut throat business and thats without the public scrutiny of us fans / media / fellow professionals not even mentioning the steady increase in injuries etc

They have to have some sort of "blow out" every so often for their own well being, some channel it into different hobbies, some take advantage of the time off and some get absolutely blotto.

I like Jamie Peacocks line on drinking - 2006 tour - NO DRINKING!!! Which had a tacit understanding (unwritten of course)

Anyone who had 1 - 3 beers - off the sauce
Anyone who had 4 - 8 beers - down to 1-3

Anyone who drank over 8 down to 4-8.

Sad to say that alcohol is the easiest to legally do, but over time really degrades the body and is whisper it (is why most of the new breed take coke) not that I partake or condone.
DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:55 am  
Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino wrote:
Yeah,, solid post there DHM.

TBF, its a bloody hard, stressfull job and somewhere along the line, you are going to need some sort of "crutch" that you are going to develop / feed either in the short or long term.

Drinking culture has been around from year dot, its everywhere and its a hard circle to come out of. I used to be in catering for years and the level of what you can only call substance abuse is rife. Thats another high pressure, results based cut throat business and thats without the public scrutiny of us fans / media / fellow professionals not even mentioning the steady increase in injuries etc

They have to have some sort of "blow out" every so often for their own well being, some channel it into different hobbies, some take advantage of the time off and some get absolutely blotto.

I like Jamie Peacocks line on drinking - 2006 tour - NO DRINKING!!! Which had a tacit understanding (unwritten of course)

Anyone who had 1 - 3 beers - off the sauce
Anyone who had 4 - 8 beers - down to 1-3

Anyone who drank over 8 down to 4-8.

Sad to say that alcohol is the easiest to legally do, but over time really degrades the body and is whisper it (is why most of the new breed take coke) not that I partake or condone.

There's a lot of downtime and boredom I imagine. You can't train all day (unless you are a swimmer) and you can only watch so many match videos. I guess you also forget the influence of "mates" as well. A lot of rugby lads come with "baggage". Especially in RL which is so geographically limited.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator9083
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200618 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 am  
I don't doubt it.

We have a club run out to Ponte for a good drink every now and again and 2015 we were there after the GF and Zak and Kallum were in having a few bevvies, the amount of people around them in their group was massive.

You can only trust your judgement and sometimes its the oldest friends who take the P more as they know you've been mates longer so try it on more.

Its a hard path to walk.
DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:49 pm  
On topic, I watched the Leeds v Fev CC semi from 1995. Jesus the defence was awful from both teams. However, I did hear something during the commentary about the 10 metre rule and I am pretty sure that 94/95 season was when 5 went to 10 metres, which probably explains the huge distance between the attackers and defenders at every PTB. That took some getting used to and probably explains why I remember a lot of games from that era as shoot outs.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1067No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 24 201212 years177th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 17:5130th Apr 24 13:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:54 am  
DHM wrote:
On topic, I watched the Leeds v Fev CC semi from 1995. Jesus the defence was awful from both teams. However, I did hear something during the commentary about the 10 metre rule and I am pretty sure that 94/95 season was when 5 went to 10 metres, which probably explains the huge distance between the attackers and defenders at every PTB. That took some getting used to and probably explains why I remember a lot of games from that era as shoot outs.

All the more so towards the end of the season. You had the perfect storm of tired players and a firm surface with the game speeding up signficantly as a result. If you were a betting man in the early to mid 90s there came a point in the season, usually from mid March onwards, where you could just clean up going with the overs on total points.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner13165No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200221 years4th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 14:405th Apr 24 18:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm  
Watched the 3 games against Bradford from 2002, 2004 & 2005

Id forgotten how good those games were when our rivalry was at its peak, really enjoyed the 2002 game it had everything.
Seth 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6536No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 200420 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 18:353rd May 24 20:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Full Games on Youtube : Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:35 pm  
A stark reminder of how the game has been spoiled by wrestle.
PreviousNext