FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Friends, Britons, rugbymen ... lend me your ears.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Feb 09 23:591st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

l played professional rugby league, fought in WW2, was at Normandy D-Day and worked on the docks all my life. l used to go to rugy until ill health made it impossible for me to continue. l had the priviledge of watching such great players as Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny and the like grace our rugby grounds. l am an advocate of home grown talent but believe 'star imports' are a benefit to our game although l also think the limit should be 3 per club.

l used to believe that l fought for freedom but day by day this belief has diminished. We are now branded criminals for such 'crimes' as overfilling the wheelie bin or dropping litter in the city centre or speeding and so on. Whilst one can understand being fined for such things (except wheely bin) one should not have to be branded a criminal.

Now l find that my sport is also being targeted. Aussie players are being refused work visas because of their 'criminal' record. At first l thought what have they done? ... armed robbery? fraud? murder? GBH? ABH? NO! none of these, what we have is speeding offences, charged with assault (not convicted, just charged) and affray. Affray? we see that virtually every rugby match. lt is just above breach of the peace and is in reality just 'handbags'. Any altrication on the streets, in pubs, at home, at work, at matches etc etc the police can charge you with affray.

Upon further investigation l could find no reference to any foreign rugby union players being refused work visas or, god forbid, a Pakistani, or the like, cricket player being refused. ls it because these sports have influence and power? ... or like the cricketers, would result in mass demonstrations by the Muslim community. l say this for the Muslim community, they stand up for themselves and make their voice heardand for that they have my respect ... whether l believe in their cause or not.

But what does the working class sport of Rugby League and their supporters do? ... sweet FA! Except ofcourse slag off and gloat the clubs who have lost the services of these players. How narrow-minded and petty can you get? The RLHQ do nothing, the club boards do nothing and the supporters do nothing. Yet you have all the supporters at what ground or another so how hard would it be for all supporters to band together? You are in touch with all the clubs here anyway! Petitions, demonstrations etc may shame the club boards into coming onboard and maybe just maybe the RLHQ. Flood the Canberra British Consulate with e-mails ... and your MP's ... and the papers. Get media coverage ... hell, SKY is owned by Rupert Murdoch alone.

lf it carries on, what will happen to our sport? the lnternationals? ... depleted teams? Rugby League won't become 3rd rate ... it'll be lower!

l've fought my battles ... on the battleground, work, bureaucracy ... anything that l deemed injust or wrong. Some l won and some l lost but atleast l tried. l didn't cry in my beer and do nothing. Apathy seems endemic throughout the majority of citizens hence the minority always have the say ... especially the mandarins in Government. The one club that would speak out, Won't ... because they are French and wouldn't stand for it. God, that grates saying that but it's true.

What is happening to Rugby League is injust and wrong but it won't change unless the clubs, RLHQ and supporters speak out against it ... but ... the silence is deafening!
tvoc 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 05 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 24 17:5222nd Aug 18 08:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:10 am  
There are way too many imports littering the game as it is. Well done the British authorities in Canberra for recognising this and doing something about it.
G1 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Nov 18 22:523rd Oct 16 16:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.

Kevin Sinfield

: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:12 am  
That speech brought a tear to my eye and made me puff my chest out.

It was authentic gibberish mind but stirring nonetheless.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:235th Aug 18 15:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Someday everything is gonna be different, When I paint my masterpiece
------------------------------------------------------
The Jerry Chicken Blog Page
------------------------------------------------------
BUY MY ART ONLINE AT ARTGALLERY.CO.UK

AT THE RIPPINGHAM GALLERY
ART PROFILE
On Twitter
On Facebook

: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:35 am  
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 14 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Oct 15 17:1729th Oct 15 17:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
OBN Wannabe

: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:22 am  
Beautiful speech. I totally disagree with most of the sentiment, but nicely presented. Well done.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2461
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 30 200816 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Mar 24 19:5417th Sep 23 07:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It's Official - "Homer Simpson is a Leeds Fan"

: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 am  
There may be trouble ahead, but now is the time to Unite and make a stance against Visa / Passport control - I have a plan, I need you help, which I hope will get some reaction.

Ten years ago, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. We now have a problem, if no one else can help, and if we can find them, maybe we can hire... The Rhino-Team.

This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach301No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Mar 12 16:0115th Mar 12 16:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I'll call my dog what I damn well please

devilsadvocate wrote:
l played professional rugby league, fought in WW2, was at Normandy D-Day and worked on the docks all my life. l used to go to rugy until ill health made it impossible for me to continue. l had the priviledge of watching such great players as Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny and the like grace our rugby grounds. l am an advocate of home grown talent but believe 'star imports' are a benefit to our game although l also think the limit should be 3 per club.

l used to believe that l fought for freedom but day by day this belief has diminished. We are now branded criminals for such 'crimes' as overfilling the wheelie bin or dropping litter in the city centre or speeding and so on. Whilst one can understand being fined for such things (except wheely bin) one should not have to be branded a criminal.

Now l find that my sport is also being targeted. Aussie players are being refused work visas because of their 'criminal' record. At first l thought what have they done? ... armed robbery? fraud? murder? GBH? ABH? NO! none of these, what we have is speeding offences, charged with assault (not convicted, just charged) and affray. Affray? we see that virtually every rugby match. lt is just above breach of the peace and is in reality just 'handbags'. Any altrication on the streets, in pubs, at home, at work, at matches etc etc the police can charge you with affray.

Upon further investigation l could find no reference to any foreign rugby union players being refused work visas or, god forbid, a Pakistani, or the like, cricket player being refused. ls it because these sports have influence and power? ... or like the cricketers, would result in mass demonstrations by the Muslim community. l say this for the Muslim community, they stand up for themselves and make their voice heardand for that they have my respect ... whether l believe in their cause or not.

But what does the working class sport of Rugby League and their supporters do? ... sweet FA! Except ofcourse slag off and gloat the clubs who have lost the services of these players. How narrow-minded and petty can you get? The RLHQ do nothing, the club boards do nothing and the supporters do nothing. Yet you have all the supporters at what ground or another so how hard would it be for all supporters to band together? You are in touch with all the clubs here anyway! Petitions, demonstrations etc may shame the club boards into coming onboard and maybe just maybe the RLHQ. Flood the Canberra British Consulate with e-mails ... and your MP's ... and the papers. Get media coverage ... hell, SKY is owned by Rupert Murdoch alone.

lf it carries on, what will happen to our sport? the lnternationals? ... depleted teams? Rugby League won't become 3rd rate ... it'll be lower!

l've fought my battles ... on the battleground, work, bureaucracy ... anything that l deemed injust or wrong. Some l won and some l lost but atleast l tried. l didn't cry in my beer and do nothing. Apathy seems endemic throughout the majority of citizens hence the minority always have the say ... especially the mandarins in Government. The one club that would speak out, Won't ... because they are French and wouldn't stand for it. God, that grates saying that but it's true.

What is happening to Rugby League is injust and wrong but it won't change unless the clubs, RLHQ and supporters speak out against it ... but ... the silence is deafening!

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Longun 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6069No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 05 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Aug 09 19:031st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The season starts in October. Until then, don't panic!

: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 am  
It's a shame Abu Qatada and his cronies doesn't play Rugby League.
No issues with them being in the UK.
Wheels 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner18298
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 05 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Oct 23 18:1522nd Jan 22 12:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
@GavWilson

: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:18 am  
Cheers for that, I keep humming 'Land of Hope and Glory' now.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 200717 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 16:5220th Oct 23 06:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
//peakwalking.blogspot.co.uk/

: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:23 am  
I did a five page letter of complaint (not about this) to my MP and it resulted in a meeting but not much came from it. Saying that my local MP is passionate about his sport as some of you may of seen the YEP in the last couple of weeks where he was calling for more sports fields.
Next