JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:52 pm  
loiner81 wrote:
The groundsman needs to stop taking credit for winning all those awards for the pitch too.
He'd be nothing without Kevin Sinfield who, so I heard, came in on his days off to feed & water the grass with his own special fertilizer.

Without a winning side where does the money come from for two new pitches in the last five years? Much easier to keep a brand new sparkling piece of grass in tip top condition.

As we can see the club is hardly flush despite years of success driven in a large part by the most successful captain the club has ever had.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 25 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Feb 18 17:4515th Jan 18 12:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield
11 Salford 12 Leigh
Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford
Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh
GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:13 pm  
I think many of the problems the club faced & faces are due to the same factors that made us so successful over the past 10 years, built on the foundations laid by Hetherington & Caddick when they bought to club.
Sinfield said on a number of occasions that he & most of the other players could have left the club to earn more money elsewhere.
The fact that they didn't was partly in my estimation down to the longer contracts that GH offered to them.
These longer contracts have now come home to roost.
We know that GH values & rewards commitment & loyalty both during & after a player's career has ended.
Should he have been more ruthless with such as JJB, McGuire, Burrow etc, possibly, arguably even probably?
I think that many of GH's critics have short memories.
He does make mistakes but thus far his successes have far outweighed his failures.
RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201212 years316th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 23 09:2610th Jul 21 23:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:34 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:
Without a winning side where does the money come from for two new pitches in the last five years? Much easier to keep a brand new sparkling piece of grass in tip top condition.

As we can see the club is hardly flush despite years of success driven in a large part by the most successful captain the club has ever had.

It's not all about a winning side, and winning trophies. Having a side that plays good entertaining rugby can go a long way to keeping solid crowds, the 90s Dougie Laughton side won naff all but the rugby was generally very entertaining and sometimes sublime. That is my biggest hope for next year, and of course avoiding middle 8s, anything else is a bonus.
TOMCAT 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1988
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 21 12:4617th Dec 20 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:52 pm  
Old Feller wrote:
I think many of the problems the club faced & faces are due to the same factors that made us so successful over the past 10 years, built on the foundations laid by Hetherington & Caddick when they bought to club.
Sinfield said on a number of occasions that he & most of the other players could have left the club to earn more money elsewhere.
The fact that they didn't was partly in my estimation down to the longer contracts that GH offered to them.
We know that GH values & rewards commitment & loyalty both during & after a player's career has ended.
Should he have been more ruthless with such as JJB, McGuire, Burrow etc, possibly, arguably even probably?
I think that many of GH's critics have short memories.
He does make mistakes but thus far his successes have far outweighed his failures.

I have to agree with your analysis about the two way loyalty being key to the clubs recent sucess and a contributory factor in our current problems. I think that by and large GH and PC have done a good balancing act, the fading away of the "golden generation" was alwways going to be tough to manage because of the size of the cohort. But in defence of the record of the current management set up, I'd challenge the nay sayers to point out a more sucessful management team in the SL. The idea that we could transition and continue to dominate as we have over the past 10 or more years was fanciful at best. We have enjoyed a golden period culminating it the treble and hopefully we will have more sucesses to come, but we have no devine right to dominate.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:23 pm  
ThePrinter wrote:
So when you say Sinfield made a lot of people look better than they are you meant he helped flog corporate packages and ST by being successful? How did Sinfield become successful by the way? By the club going with him and other academy guys and supporting them with quality recruits, hiring the coaches that led them to titles, getting the training ground at Kirkstall, a load of building blocks put in place by many people off the pitch done before Sinfield even lifted the title for the first time and then carried on afterwards. Whilst not the same success, Hudds have climbed up the league over the last several seasons and even got themselves a LLS but they haven't grown with that off the field and crowds still aren't what they should be so it's not a gimme that if you do well people will automatically turn up, people behind the scenes still have to work to do.

But suppose it easier to just lay all the credit for all the club has done both on the field and off it on Sinfield and say everyone else around him got lucky.

Sinfield became successful through natural ability and personal drive and driving a culture that enable the club as a whole to progress.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain628No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 01 20168 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th May 24 08:179th May 24 08:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:41 pm  
TOMCAT wrote:
I have to agree with your analysis about the two way loyalty being key to the clubs recent sucess and a contributory factor in our current problems. I think that by and large GH and PC have done a good balancing act, the fading away of the "golden generation" was alwways going to be tough to manage because of the size of the cohort. But in defence of the record of the current management set up, I'd challenge the nay sayers to point out a more sucessful management team in the SL. The idea that we could transition and continue to dominate as we have over the past 10 or more years was fanciful at best. We have enjoyed a golden period culminating it the treble and hopefully we will have more sucesses to come, but we have no devine right to dominate.

Youre right we have no devine right to dominate but we deserve more than the tripe weve been served this off-season. As ive said before the crowds merchandise lack of recruitment and now more crap with the crumbling southstand. Gh obviously bargained on 13.000 crowds next year but that will now be 15.000 or more so get recruiting like a top 4 club should. The cap wont be full so get it spent!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200618 years69th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 23 22:1119th Feb 23 21:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:27 pm  
This idea that Leeds are struggling for cash is fanciful rubbish from people with obvious agendas. What they can't do is finance a £20m+ redevelopment out of petty cash. They hoped to plug the gap between the several millions they do have and the total required through these associated developments.

Given the trouble Leeds have had with the planning department before I doubt anyone thought it would be trouble free and I'm sure they hoped it might have been sorted by now. But it looks like they do still hope to bounce them into accepting it for the "greater good".
Gotcha 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 24 06:032nd Nov 20 15:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:37 pm  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
This idea that Leeds are struggling for cash is fanciful rubbish from people with obvious agendas. What they can't do is finance a £20m+ redevelopment out of petty cash. They hoped to plug the gap between the several millions they do have and the total required through these associated developments.

Given the trouble Leeds have had with the planning department before I doubt anyone thought it would be trouble free and I'm sure they hoped it might have been sorted by now. But it looks like they do still hope to bounce them into accepting it for the "greater good".

Your first part is actually spot on. The second part although true, is actually off mark on why they have a current issue, although it may well have resolved it on it's own.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:46 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:
Sinfield became successful through natural ability and personal drive and driving a culture that enable the club as a whole to progress.

So if he came through Wakefield'a academy and stuck with them throughout his career, he & that club would've achieved the exact same success Leeds have?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Re: South Stand Open For 2017 : Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:02 pm  
Old Feller wrote:
Should he have been more ruthless with such as JJB, McGuire, Burrow etc, possibly, arguably even probably?.

Think it serves two purposes in their thinking. Firstly it got the likes of McGuire, Sinfield, Burrow etc. to stay in their prime years. Also though to be used to the likes of Ward, Watkins, Singleton etc. now to get them to stick with the club.

Whilst people have concerns with academy products coming through I think Leeds take the approach of they want guys who will be here for the long haul and have long or full careers at Leeds. Whereas at Wigan more night come through but so many have moved on for various reasons after maybe 3/4/5 years, Dom Crosby the latest example.
PreviousNext