Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com OT | Yorkshire Carnegie



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:23 am 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 830
Location: Desperation Island
Gotcha wrote:No disrespect, but let’s be honest, it’s pointless explaining anything to you. The club would need to announce it first.

No please, go on. Tell us what it is you think you know about the ownership and management structures of YC. Because based on what you posted above, it's wrong.






"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:48 am
Posts: 6880
Location: In between a rock and a hard place.
My understanding is that Hetherington got spooked by the figures. When Leeds Tykes were in the Premiership and looking to cement their stature as a club, it was explained to both Caddick and Hetherington that for the money that they were paying their International RL players they wouldn't get anyone good enough to compete in the Premiership. If they wanted to compete they had to pay the cash.

Caddick got this and was happy to go go for it, Hetherington flat refused to pay middle of the road Union players twice what World Class League players were on.
For me allowing Hetherington to have his way killed Carnegie as a club. It takes time, had Caddick persisted the Union side would be a serious brand. As it is it is failing.






Fat Boy wrote: Bradford are now officially the RFL's biatches.
Seventies red wrote: Whats a biatch?.
gulfcoast_highwayman wrote: They wear red and white and cry a lot in October.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:28 am
Posts: 16834
Location: On the road
loinertillidie wrote:My understanding is that Hetherington got spooked by the figures. When Leeds Tykes were in the Premiership and looking to cement their stature as a club, it was explained to both Caddick and Hetherington that for the money that they were paying their International RL players they wouldn't get anyone good enough to compete in the Premiership. If they wanted to compete they had to pay the cash.

Caddick got this and was happy to go go for it, Hetherington flat refused to pay middle of the road Union players twice what World Class League players were on.
For me allowing Hetherington to have his way killed Carnegie as a club. It takes time, had Caddick persisted the Union side would be a serious brand. As it is it is failing.


The problem was there didn't seem to be an apetite for PL RU in Leeds and Hetherington was probably correct in identifying its unsustainability with a big squad on big money. It seems all top RU clubs need benefactors with very deep pockets. Its one thing understanding the need quite another feeding that need with your own money.






Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:34 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:11 pm
Posts: 16902
loinertillidie wrote:My understanding is that Hetherington got spooked by the figures. When Leeds Tykes were in the Premiership and looking to cement their stature as a club, it was explained to both Caddick and Hetherington that for the money that they were paying their International RL players they wouldn't get anyone good enough to compete in the Premiership. If they wanted to compete they had to pay the cash.

Caddick got this and was happy to go go for it, Hetherington flat refused to pay middle of the road Union players twice what World Class League players were on.
For me allowing Hetherington to have his way killed Carnegie as a club. It takes time, had Caddick persisted the Union side would be a serious brand. As it is it is failing.


And Caddick came out of it as a result, as he wasn't prepared to continue the way Hetherington wanted it. As you said, knew exactly what would happen.






#frostiesbitches We know who you are.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:15 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:48 am
Posts: 6880
Location: In between a rock and a hard place.
Sal Paradise wrote:The problem was there didn't seem to be an apetite for PL RU in Leeds and Hetherington was probably correct in identifying its unsustainability with a big squad on big money. It seems all top RU clubs need benefactors with very deep pockets. Its one thing understanding the need quite another feeding that need with your own money.


If we take Leicester Tigers in about 1999 they were getting 1700 odd fans, by 2009 that figure was 17000 and recently they had a gate of 27000. A twenty year business plan is not unusual.

The success of the 2004 to 2014 Rhinos with adequate development would (IMHO) have translated the massive interest in West Yorkshire amateur Rugby Union into interest in a pro club. But as it happened Caddick admitted that owning a Union club was a hobby.

I'm sad because there are now no realistic pathways for the many hundreds of lads who play amateur Union to make a living from the game in West Yorkshire.






Fat Boy wrote: Bradford are now officially the RFL's biatches.
Seventies red wrote: Whats a biatch?.
gulfcoast_highwayman wrote: They wear red and white and cry a lot in October.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 830
Location: Desperation Island
loinertillidie wrote:If we take Leicester Tigers in about 1999 they were getting 1700 odd fans,
That's not right - throughout the 1990s Leeds, Wigan and Leicester were all broadly similarly supported and who was the best supported 'rugby' club was a matter of some conjecture.






"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:35 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:47 am
Posts: 14769
Location: Campaigning for a deep attacking line
The Ghost of '99 wrote:That's not right - throughout the 1990s Leeds, Wigan and Leicester were all broadly similarly supported and who was the best supported 'rugby' club was a matter of some conjecture.

In the 98/99 season Leicester had an average crowd of just over 12,000.

Leeds was just under 14,000.
Wigan’s was 9,500.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:22 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 11:46 pm
Posts: 9498
Location: 10 mins walk from Suncorp Stadium
The point is Leicester were never one of the 'one man and his dog' RU teams like some were. They've pulled big crowds as long as I can remember. Some of the others, particularly the London clubs (Sale as well I'd guess) were more of that ilk.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:04 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 830
Location: Desperation Island
BrisbaneRhino wrote:The point is Leicester were never one of the 'one man and his dog' RU teams like some were. They've pulled big crowds as long as I can remember. Some of the others, particularly the London clubs (Sale as well I'd guess) were more of that ilk.

Correct, they came and went (at the RL clubs at least, I don't know how much Leicester's crowds varied other than that they were similar). In the early '90s Wigan were larger than Leeds.






"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OT | Yorkshire Carnegie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:50 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:42 pm
Posts: 17877
CVA proposed

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/yorkshir ... rugby-club






Cricket! Join now for 2020 - please get in touch
if you are interested in getting involved as a player, supporter or sponsor, please get in touch.
Headingley Bramhope Cricket Club

https://twitter.com/headingleycc?lang=en
https://www.instagram.com/headingleybramhopecc/?hl=en

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next





It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:18 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ALAW, Dadsylad, Danibo160, Gotcha, marathonman, tad rhino and 102 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:18 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,968,54198177,8504,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





17

.