WWW.RLFANS.COM
https://retro.rlfans.com/

SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)
https://retro.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=623426
Page 13 of 19

Author:  KaeruJim [ Thu May 16, 2019 10:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

Agree with others re. Watkins and playing Hurrell and Newman in centres for now. Both offer some strike.

Also agree re. McLelland and Myler. We really could do with Walker back at 1 again to offer some threat.

If Sutcliffe is to play in the back row he needs to add size. Don't think Cam Smith was great tonight either, lovely offload aside. We have really missed Ward, who is the only international quality forward we have at the moment.

Looking positively, if we have Ward coming back and maybe a fit again Ablett and Crosby, in time for the back end of the season, that might be just enough of a push to see us home safely.

Author:  newgroundb4wakey [ Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

Him wrote:Agree with Gotcha’s summary in that I thought we were a bit better than the score line suggested.

Also agree on Newman. When Hurrell is fit we should drop Watkins and play him at Featherstone to regain his confidence/fitness. That’s not a slight towards him, he’s recovering from a very bad injury. If this was the NRL he’d be playing in their 2nd tier to recover before going back to 1st grade so let’s do the same.

Also very impressed with McLelland for a young lad. Play him and Myler as halves going forward. He’ll make mistakes, but I’d rather he did than an experienced player as he’ll learn from it.

Ava looks a decent signing. Adds some size and impact when he runs it in.

We’re desperately missing some strike out wide though. Hurrell will bring that but we’re missing some dynamism in the 2nd row.

Thought Peteru got through some decent work but is lacking a good prop partner. Singleton again did nothing.

The team looked a lot better to me with Parcell at 9 rather than Dwyer.

Agree with most of that mate apart from Parcell. Your game (to me anyway) seems to go downhill when he replaces Dwyer. As others have said Cas weren't great but it was scary how poor Leeds were despite some promising individual performances.I got the impression that they had been told not to pressurise the kick catcher but put more emphasis on moving up slowly in a straight line to make sure of containment.
Newman was first class but when you think back to two years ago McLelland and Trueman were level pegging in the Cas academy. Trueman bossed that game tonight and Callum was no where near. Good luck in the next few weeks.

Author:  RHINO-MARK [ Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

Same old story despite an improved effort.
Poor discipline poor defence & headless chickens in attack. The sooner we get a proper Coaching set up & better players the better.
Kearu jim a fit Ablett offers zero & Crosby is a sick note.

Author:  christopher [ Thu May 16, 2019 10:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

KaeruJim wrote:Agree with others re. Watkins and playing Hurrell and Newman in centres for now. Both offer some strike.

Also agree re. McLelland and Myler. We really could do with Walker back at 1 again to offer some threat.

If Sutcliffe is to play in the back row he needs to add size. Don't think Cam Smith was great tonight either, lovely offload aside. We have really missed Ward, who is the only international quality forward we have at the moment.

Looking positively, if we have Ward coming back and maybe a fit again Ablett and Crosby, in time for the back end of the season, that might be just enough of a push to see us home safely.


Ive said ever since his injury we are missing Ward massively, put him, Walker and Hurrell back in the side and we will look totally different, Ward probably correctly gets stick because he’s injury prone, but he epitomises everything we aren’t at the moment, he’s tough, committed and talented.

Walker is also a bigger miss than I think people give him credit for.

Agar’s presser was also interesting, I actually think he comes across well but I think he said something about ‘some’ of this group are wanting to turn things around, I get the feeling that a few of the playing staff aren’t really that bothered, I’m also going against the grain here but I don’t think Sinfields pre match interview was bad.

Author:  christopher [ Thu May 16, 2019 10:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

newgroundb4wakey wrote:Agree with most of that mate apart from Parcell. Your game (to me anyway) seems to go downhill when he replaces Dwyer. As others have said Cas weren't great but it was scary how poor Leeds were despite some promising individual performances.I got the impression that they had been told not to pressurise the kick catcher but put more emphasis on moving up slowly in a straight line to make sure of containment.
Newman was first class but when you think back to two years ago McLelland and Trueman were level pegging in the Cas academy. Trueman bossed that game tonight and Callum was no where near. Good luck in the next few weeks.


That’s what a stint in Union will do for a player!

FWIW I saw enough in McLelland tonight to give him a starting position from now on, yes he’s young, yes he’ll make mistakes but there is something there

Author:  The Magic Rat [ Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

Newman and Handley were our best imo. Really like the look of Newman, and on form him and Hurrell should be starters.
Merrin has been a massive disappointment so far. Absolutely terrible discipline from round 1 of SL and has not shown the leadership qualities he was supposed to have. If he is willing to leave then let him go.
Peteru, Ava and Oledzki all did ok but we are constantly losing the battle up front. Too many times the opposition make yards after contact, while we are dominated. Not seen enough from Smith to make me think he will make a top class 2nd rower,too soft in defence.
I know he went off injured earlier but Lolohea looks scared to me. Its probably the biggest criticism you can level at a player but to me he lacks bottle.

Author:  christopher [ Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

I disagree with the stick Merrin is getting, apart from the gobbing off (but I suppose that shows a but of passion!) he his going through a ton of work and rarely gets dominated in the tackle

Author:  newgroundb4wakey [ Thu May 16, 2019 11:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

christopher wrote:That’s what a stint in Union will do for a player!

FWIW I saw enough in McLelland tonight to give him a starting position from now on, yes he’s young, yes he’ll make mistakes but there is something there


I agree whole heartedley with you there mate. fair enough with no halves left through injury Cas had to throw Trueman in and its paid off.

Author:  christopher [ Thu May 16, 2019 11:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

newgroundb4wakey wrote:I agree whole heartedley with you there mate. fair enough with no halves left through injury Cas had to throw Trueman in and its paid off.

We’ve no decent halves without injuries, give him the role and let him learn I say, unless we sign a half for the rest of the season we literally cant do any worse

Author:  christopher [ Thu May 16, 2019 11:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SL RD 15 | Castleford Tigers (H)

Just watching the game back, Cas’ first try in the second half was absolutely pathetic from Watkins and Myler, especially Myler.

Page 13 of 19 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/