FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H)
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner13165No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200221 years4th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 11:335th Apr 24 18:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:07 pm  
Juan Cornetto wrote:
We are in serious trouble and the most obvious weakness to correct is the lack of decent halfbacks. The combinations of Myler and Sutcliffe simply do not work and the biggest gamble would be to keep playing them in these positions. Myler needs a break from the pressure and Sutcliffe is at best a backrower on the bench to cover several positions.

I accept your point about Walker changing roles. But he is young, talented and adaptable and IMO has the skills to turn some of the opportunities close to the line into tries on last plays. Playing at 6 he would get his hands on the ball more times and not have to do the physical work of clearing our own lines.

McLelland has a better kicking and passing game than Myler or Sutcliffe and could do the organising leaving Walker to do what he does best ie run at the opposition and his footwork would produce wins where at present we are producing losses. Both are not scared to tackle and would do better than Myler & Sutty

The team has shown a much better attitude and work rate which has improved our defense dramatically. Now we need to address the woeful lack of ideas in attack and I would out my faith in Walker and McLelland, along with Newman, to make it happen. We simply have to start winning games and the time has come to try something different. The youngsters should be told to go out and play their natural game and they will not be dropped if they make a few errors along the way. They cannot do worse that those we have tried at half back.

Perhaps Muzzi should be given a run in the back row too.

It was interesting that Agar in his presser mentioned they have had to go back to basics to fix up the defensive issues (which they have in a big way) but that has affected the attack so they now have to focus on that aspect

Id give Mcllelland a run alongside Myler, that literally can’t be any worse than what were going with at the moment
Him 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 21 22:467th Nov 21 09:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 pm  
Biff Tannen wrote:
HIM- sorry but if you don't think the Leeds Saints Bradford teams wouldn't walk over the teams of today you are delusional. Of course we factor in that those sides would be better conditioned with the times but in general they were just by far better RL players. This current Leeds team would take an absolute hiding at the hands of all three.

I think the opposing view, that teams from 15 years ago would somehow walk it today, is delusional. Conversely if you put the current Saints team against say the Leigh team of 2005? we’d possibly see a record scoreline.

I think it’s a thing that occurs in almost all sports, we have the same with football fans constantly bemoaning the lack of talent today compared to 20 years ago. Again, I think it conflates quality with entertainment when the 2 are very different.

As I said compare line speed, defensive intensity, wrestle, men in the tackle to 15 years ago and it’s a million miles apart. As is the time and space therefore available to exploit by the talented players of that generation.

Could the talented players from then be top players today? Some would, some wouldn’t. Because the demands are different and the space and opportunity to express talent is so much more limited today.

You mention the Leeds, Saints and Bradford teams, here are some players from the squads of those teams:
Wayne McDonald
Ashley Gibson
Jordan Tansey
Danny Williams
Shane Millard
Jamie Thackray
Chris Feather
Liam Botham
Stuart Reardon
Karl Pryce
Aaron Smith
Chris Bridge
Ben Harris
Ian Henderson
Andy Smith
Marcus St Hilaire
Adam Watene
Stanley Gene
Matt Cook
Gray Viane
Ian Hardman
Keith Mason
Mike Bennett
Tim Jonkers
Andy Bracek
Ricky Bibey

And that’s without looking too hard. That’s a decent list of throughly average players. I think it’s easy to look back now and simply remember Vainikolo, Long, Gleeson, McGuire etc and forget some of the average dross that was there.

It’s also notable how much smaller squads were back then. Rarely did they have to use beyond a 25 man squad and when you think back it was much rarer to have long term injuries.

On average between 2000-2005 Leeds used 25 players in a season.
On average between 2013-2018 Leeds used 30 players per season.
2017 & 2018 have both been the joint highest at 32 players. So far this season I make it 29.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach944
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 200816 years309th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 24 19:254th Mar 24 19:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
living in the shadow of tonie carroll's chin

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:57 pm  
Regarding Ferres last night,How far can you actually run alongside someone without putting a hand on them before it becomes obvious that you couldn't give a thuck ?
RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201212 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 23 09:2610th Jul 21 23:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:10 pm  
Him wrote:
I think the opposing view, that teams from 15 years ago would somehow walk it today, is delusional. Conversely if you put the current Saints team against say the Leigh team of 2005? we’d possibly see a record scoreline.

I think it’s a thing that occurs in almost all sports, we have the same with football fans constantly bemoaning the lack of talent today compared to 20 years ago. Again, I think it conflates quality with entertainment when the 2 are very different.

As I said compare line speed, defensive intensity, wrestle, men in the tackle to 15 years ago and it’s a million miles apart. As is the time and space therefore available to exploit by the talented players of that generation.

Could the talented players from then be top players today? Some would, some wouldn’t. Because the demands are different and the space and opportunity to express talent is so much more limited today.

You mention the Leeds, Saints and Bradford teams, here are some players from the squads of those teams:
Wayne McDonald
Ashley Gibson
Jordan Tansey
Danny Williams
Shane Millard
Jamie Thackray
Chris Feather
Liam Botham
Stuart Reardon
Karl Pryce
Aaron Smith
Chris Bridge
Ben Harris
Ian Henderson
Andy Smith
Marcus St Hilaire
Adam Watene
Stanley Gene
Matt Cook
Gray Viane
Ian Hardman
Keith Mason
Mike Bennett
Tim Jonkers
Andy Bracek
Ricky Bibey

And that’s without looking too hard. That’s a decent list of throughly average players. I think it’s easy to look back now and simply remember Vainikolo, Long, Gleeson, McGuire etc and forget some of the average dross that was there.

It’s also notable how much smaller squads were back then. Rarely did they have to use beyond a 25 man squad and when you think back it was much rarer to have long term injuries.

On average between 2000-2005 Leeds used 25 players in a season.
On average between 2013-2018 Leeds used 30 players per season.
2017 & 2018 have both been the joint highest at 32 players. So far this season I make it 29.

A lot of them players would be playing regular imo in SL these days and they were fill in players for the top teams back then. Of course fitness and training and techniques improve over the years thats a given and we have to assume that the players from 15/20 years ago were undertaking todays advanced regimes as a given but if you do i don't see how you can make an argument.
ant1 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1135No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years309th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 11:2124th Mar 24 11:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:57 am  
The Chin's Back wrote:
Regarding Ferres last night,How far can you actually run alongside someone without putting a hand on them before it becomes obvious that you couldn't give a thuck ?

He wandered around the field at the end of the game on Friday night, failing to acknowledge the fans for their support with so little enthusiasm. This is the rotten apple in the barrel. he doesn't care one hoot about the team or their cause. If he remains next season I for one will not be renewing our season passes. HE MUST BE GOT RID OF!
Bang 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9866No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 27 200618 years225th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 06:1817th Apr 24 07:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
YEAH LIKE WHATEVER!
TEAM UP! TEAM UP!

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:18 am  
We signed an England international with Ferres. Remember thinking at the time he was a good age and an international back rower - just what we need.

He's been anything but. His Leeds career is coming to an end, thankfully, seein Clubb out pace him to score is all he will be remembered for.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4269
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years26th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 12:5818th Apr 24 13:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:57 am  
Bang wrote:
We signed an England international with Ferres. Remember thinking at the time he was a good age and an international back rower - just what we need.

He's been anything but. His Leeds career is coming to an end, thankfully, seein Clubb out pace him to score is all he will be remembered for.

I agree that he needs to go, and that’s been clear for some time.
I’m going to be controversial though: his Leeds career has been defined by a sequence on niggling injuries. It does happen.
I would question his attitude to conditioning through periods, and he is a liability for penalties which is his behaviour... but I’m sure he would have loved to replicate that England form with Leeds.
There are things he can rightly be criticised for but we should always understand that RL players are human too, and nobody sets out to do badly.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain321
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 20177 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 20:2217th Apr 24 10:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:45 am  
Something that has to be taken into consideration in the 'has the standard plummeted' debate is the way in which defensive structures have improved beyond recognition in the last 10 years or so. As someone else has posted, this hasn't helped the entertainment one jot, but it does make comparisons with the teams 20 years ago that much harder.

I do think that there's something to be said for the top teams not having the same number of quality players that they used to, but I think that's true compared to even 6 or 7 years ago, let alone a generation ago. Take Leeds and Wigan, our 2011 challenge cup final was littered with players that would walk into the current Saints and Wire teams, but equally we're better than our late 90s and early 2000s teams too. The salary cap and the lure of Australia for our better players means that the top teams aren't as good, but I'd say the average level is probably about the same. If the standard across the board was that bad then it would reflect in the national team, which is every bit as good as it has been for some time.

On last Friday, two teams that are really not looking impressive at all. I thought Wigan were a little better over the 80, but Leeds' size had me worried, especially when we had our young lads one, there were some physical mismatches at times. Can't see Leeds going down for the same reason, eventually you'll have more physically than at least London if not 3 or 4 more teams come the end of the season.
Gotcha 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Apr 24 05:442nd Nov 20 15:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:13 am  
Cherry_&_White wrote:
Something that has to be taken into consideration in the 'has the standard plummeted' debate is the way in which defensive structures have improved beyond recognition in the last 10 years or so. As someone else has posted, this hasn't helped the entertainment one jot, but it does make comparisons with the teams 20 years ago that much harder.

I do think that there's something to be said for the top teams not having the same number of quality players that they used to, but I think that's true compared to even 6 or 7 years ago, let alone a generation ago. Take Leeds and Wigan, our 2011 challenge cup final was littered with players that would walk into the current Saints and Wire teams, but equally we're better than our late 90s and early 2000s teams too. The salary cap and the lure of Australia for our better players means that the top teams aren't as good, but I'd say the average level is probably about the same. If the standard across the board was that bad then it would reflect in the national team, which is every bit as good as it has been for some time.

On last Friday, two teams that are really not looking impressive at all. I thought Wigan were a little better over the 80, but Leeds' size had me worried, especially when we had our young lads one, there were some physical mismatches at times. Can't see Leeds going down for the same reason, eventually you'll have more physically than at least London if not 3 or 4 more teams come the end of the season.

There is absolutely no way the defences are an improvement on the 2000-2010 period. In that time you had constant high intensity, in your face, hard hitting defence. None of this soft outlawing of certain tackles we have now. What we have now is an increase in the wrestling technique, I give you that, and a pool of referrees who simply do not understand the rules and how to enforce them. Other than that it is very much sanitised version of what we had.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain321
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 20177 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 20:2217th Apr 24 10:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 18 | Wigan Warriors (H) : Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 am  
Gotcha wrote:
There is absolutely no way the defences are an improvement on the 2000-2010 period. In that time you had constant high intensity, in your face, hard hitting defence. None of this soft outlawing of certain tackles we have now. What we have now is an increase in the wrestling technique, I give you that, and a pool of referrees who simply do not understand the rules and how to enforce them. Other than that it is very much sanitised version of what we had.

Not as aggressive, but more organised. You never used to get any of the wrestling/lying on to anything like the same extent. Control of the ruck is a massive, massive part of the game now for everyone in a way that I don't think it was prior to 2010.

One on one defending, fair enough.
PreviousNext