May 19 20168 years89th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th May 22 08:103rd May 22 22:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:52 am  
Brodie123 wrote:
I wish him well for the future in any job he does. If he takes legal action against the club that is his choice and it’s for Leeds their lawyers and insurance to defend their position.
The problem with Rugby League and our sport in general is we don’t take the lead in areas of players welfare. Having watched a lots of Rugby league over the years the same principle of hurting players has always been a legal way of stopping players. The number of head high shots is unbelievable in our game today to the point, one day a tackle will result in a death. The number of head high tackles in the last game against Catalans was disgraceful, we have two linesmen, a referee a video Ref and they miss more than they see. It’s become a situation in Union that one headshot you get a yellow card two and you receive a red card plus a long ban. Certain Catalan players can only tackle over the shoulder and above, it needs changing there should be no room in our game for head high tackles. The only way to stop it is to send off players. They will soon get the message.
Head high shots are illegal yet they are as common today as they were years ago. It’s time to come down high on the culprits and send them off.
Maybe taking legal action against the clubs for damages may be hard and expensive, but taking action against the referees will be a lot easier especially when they have to apply the laws to the game, they have TV refs to help, so it’s time everyone got their act together for the long term health of the players

Taking legal action against referees? Please tell me you are joking?

The game in the late 70s and 80s was far worse than now. There arent many Tamati's or Boyds running around these days. Discipline is better now than in those days as is player welfare and the medical staff pitchside. The issue is the players are now bigger, stronger and more athletic and the 10m rule means the collisions have greater impact than in years gone by in my opinion.

The game is faster, the players are stronger and the collisions are at a faster pace and with more force.

I dont believe most head high tackles are malicious these days, i think most occur when a player is heading down or when a defender is beaten by the attackers footwork.

Not enough, even these days, is known about concussion and a lot more research needs doing into it but head high tackles will always happen in every game of RL thats just the nature of it.

Stevie Ward was a fantastic and hes a cracking kid. Its a real shame hes had to retire at such a young age. He was used wrongly in his early Leeds career which has lead to so many injuries over the years. Weve lost a real talent. I hope the club continue to support Stevie as much as possible to help him recover fully. Leeds has shown what a caring club it is with Rob so fingers crossed it helps Stevie moving forward.
DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years288th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 14:1118th Apr 24 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:50 am  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
Taking legal action against referees? Please tell me you are joking?

The game in the late 70s and 80s was far worse than now. There arent many Tamati's or Boyds running around these days. Discipline is better now than in those days as is player welfare and the medical staff pitchside. The issue is the players are now bigger, stronger and more athletic and the 10m rule means the collisions have greater impact than in years gone by in my opinion.

You can't compare the impacts from the 70's and 80's with what we have seen in more recent history. SBW has done more damage in a single game with, at the time, legal shoulder charges than Boyd did in his entire career (two notable exceptions to that obviously). I think that there are far too many high shots in RL. Watching the NRL is like watching an advert for brain damage. It's not even disguised , start your "hit" just above the ball and then ride up and smack the guy in the head and get away with it, or roll the player in the tackle and ram his head into the ground with a forearm. All at full speed. At least they outlawed the shoulder charge which was at best "reckless" and at worst attempted GBH.

IMO there is still too much macho BS around RL. The game is about skill, the best moments in RL that I remember are all skill based. Of course we will hear the cries of "we don't want to watch touch", which is of course nonsense. We have constant fannying about with rules at the PTB when we really need to look at the tackle height. If this does not happen prepare for class action law suits against the game from former players. It will happen.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player972No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 11 20203 years161st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 13:2518th Apr 24 11:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:28 pm  
There are many on here who thing the shoulder charge should be brought back - and it legal for the ball carrier to lead with the shoulder which seems odd to say the least.

Big hits are great to see but these don't involve the head at all - Marc Glanville was a great exponent - when he tackled you you knew about it i.e. you were struggling to breath not out of it with concussion.

On Stevie Ward - this is a tragedy - but anyone playing second row with Gale with suffer like this - he sees them as expendable collateral in his managing of the game. Look at the last play where Ward got the second concussion. Oliver Holmes is another player who is completely beat up too as in Nathan Sykes.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain370
JoinedServiceReputation
May 21 20186 years290th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Aug 23 10:2511th Aug 23 17:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:23 pm  
gulfcoast_highwayman wrote:
He's a decent looking lad. I wonder if a media career might be an option.

The problem with RL players is not how they look it’s when they start to speak. You then realise that they are a little short on education.
Imagine LMS as a commentator, now that would be interesting
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4429
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 04 200222 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 07:1017th Apr 24 07:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Hail Stewie Griffin wrote:
All dumbies those Irish folk

So you've met my wife

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:05 pm  
Brodie123 wrote:
The problem with RL players is not how they look it’s when they start to speak. You then realise that they are a little short on education.
Imagine LMS as a commentator, now that would be interesting

Baz and Tez get away with it.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator9073
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200618 years137th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 11:4317th Apr 24 11:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:37 pm  
finglas wrote:
Baz and Tez get away with it.

Tbf they play up to it a hell of a lot as some kind of RL Hale & Pace.

Barrie is very eloquent when he wants to be (for a prop anyway :D)
Terry just has that deep thick Lancastrian twang that is truly a marmite accent.

Both have benefited from media exposure and as I’ve always said, the best exponents for the game itself is the players. Always struck me when you’d see certain coaches etc really coming across poorly in a live interview yet remember Michael Maguire strolling round the old Trafford pitch after a GF win being totally at ease and giving a great, confident interview.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22680No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 years245th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 17:165th Apr 24 20:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Leeds Rhinos? 8 for you, Leeds Rhinos! You go, Leeds Rhinos.

And none for Castleford Tigers. Bye!

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:35 pm  
It can be learned. I remember when the boy Lineker started on the Beeb, he was awful. Now, he is a great presenter.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 200420 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 11:073rd May 23 15:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
READY WHEN U R NOBBY

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:41 pm  
gulfcoast_highwayman wrote:
It can be learned. I remember when the boy Lineker started on the Beeb, he was awful. Now, he is a great presenter.

How i remember that he was bad really bad Now he is a man to be respected When he talks folk listen :roll:
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1606No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 01 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Jan 21 00:0012th Jan 21 20:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:19 am  
DHM wrote:
You can't compare the impacts from the 70's and 80's with what we have seen in more recent history. SBW has done more damage in a single game with, at the time, legal shoulder charges than Boyd did in his entire career (two notable exceptions to that obviously). I think that there are far too many high shots in RL. Watching the NRL is like watching an advert for brain damage. It's not even disguised , start your "hit" just above the ball and then ride up and smack the guy in the head and get away with it, or roll the player in the tackle and ram his head into the ground with a forearm. All at full speed. At least they outlawed the shoulder charge which was at best "reckless" and at worst attempted GBH.

IMO there is still too much macho BS around RL. The game is about skill, the best moments in RL that I remember are all skill based. Of course we will hear the cries of "we don't want to watch touch", which is of course nonsense. We have constant fannying about with rules at the PTB when we really need to look at the tackle height. If this does not happen prepare for class action law suits against the game from former players. It will happen.

See, I couldn’t disagree more - I’m not after ‘thugby league’ and I am thankful we have rid the game of most of the nasty, cheap late and high shots, leading with elbow etc that were a blight on the game in the 80’s and earlier - though we do appear to have replaced those with equally cheap, and for more dangerous wrestle moves, joint attacks, pressure on neck etc.... But the game I fell in love with as a kid in the mid-80’s included all that horrid stuff, and I still loved it. So whilst I want rid of that cheap rubbish, I want to keep some of the gladiatorial stuff like the fighting, the shoulder charges, the hatred.... it’s a part of the game I love - and those who watched the game pre-super league must have loved the game enough to still be fans today.

I’m very much of the opinion, you know the risks when you start playing, therefore you own the risk personally..... I’ve always played the game, my body is goosed as a result, but I always knew that would be the case - that’s my problem to deal with!
DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years288th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 14:1118th Apr 24 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"

Re: Out 2021 | Stevie Ward - Retirement : Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:17 pm  
Superted wrote:
See, I couldn’t disagree more - I’m not after ‘thugby league’ and I am thankful we have rid the game of most of the nasty, cheap late and high shots, leading with elbow etc that were a blight on the game in the 80’s and earlier - though we do appear to have replaced those with equally cheap, and for more dangerous wrestle moves, joint attacks, pressure on neck etc.... But the game I fell in love with as a kid in the mid-80’s included all that horrid stuff, and I still loved it. So whilst I want rid of that cheap rubbish, I want to keep some of the gladiatorial stuff like the fighting, the shoulder charges, the hatred.... it’s a part of the game I love - and those who watched the game pre-super league must have loved the game enough to still be fans today.

I’m very much of the opinion, you know the risks when you start playing, therefore you own the risk personally..... I’ve always played the game, my body is goosed as a result, but I always knew that would be the case - that’s my problem to deal with!

I've watched the game (as in physically gone to matches) since 1980. I remember the odd amusing punch up but I remember ball handling, pace, skill far more. My favourite players were fast and skillful -hence my username. Yes they were tough as well, everyone who plays RL is tough, it's a huge part of the game.

People don't know all the risks when they start playing, especially around TBI. That's patently obvious. I agree, players will tend to ignore the obvious risks, young people do. If someone had told me I would break my knee playing rugby and that I would spend 2 years practically on crutches and suffer pain with every step for the next 25 years (continuing and getting worse until I die) I would of course have carried on playing. And you can't make rugby "safe" and I wouldn't want to - it wouldn't be rugby. But it's also obvious that other contact sports are facing legal actions around brain injury caused by head impacts and it's a fact that there are far too many concussions in RL caused by head high tackles and unless that is dealt with by the people who run the game the sport may find itself in serious trouble.
PreviousNext