WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Full Games on Youtube

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Full Games on Youtube

Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:23 am  

User avatarHim wrote:
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

FlexWheeler wrote:
Watching some of the stuff from the 90's, does anything think the game was a better spectacle compared to now? There was no wrestle, and the attack wasn't as contrived as it is now with all the pre-rehearsed patterns and dummy runners.

Oh absolutely. I’ve always said the game was better to watch in the 90’s and 2000’s. 2009 ish onwards in my opinion is when it started to degrade in terms of spectacle.

What I would vehemently deny is that the quality is lower now. Just take a look at the defences, even in some of the grand finals in the 2000’s and they’re nothing like today’s.
Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:51 am  

User avatarDHM wrote:
DHM User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Him wrote:
Oh absolutely. I’ve always said the game was better to watch in the 90’s and 2000’s. 2009 ish onwards in my opinion is when it started to degrade in terms of spectacle.

What I would vehemently deny is that the quality is lower now. Just take a look at the defences, even in some of the grand finals in the 2000’s and they’re nothing like today’s.

Defences appear better now because it's impossible to get a quick PTB and attack has become one dimensional..
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"
Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:22 am  

User avatarchristopher wrote:
christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Him wrote:

Personally I think from 1998 - til around 2008 was the most entertaining era, it had just the right balance of aggressive defence and free flowing attacking rugby.

Anything earlier still looks a bit old fashioned to me (not that theres anything wrong with that style it's just different), we moan about messy play the balls now but between those and the scrums the game was far messier back then.
Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:24 am  

User avatarchristopher wrote:
christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

DHM wrote:
Defences appear better now because it's impossible to get a quick PTB and attack has become one dimensional..

You see I think one of the reasons the game isn't as entertaining as it was is the obsession the game had with trying to get quick play the balls, that why attacks are so flat these days and the ruck appears messier.
Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:17 am  
mattsrhinos1978 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The early to mid 90's teams under Doug were a joy to watch when they were on, no better sight in rugby than Kevin Iro when he was in the mood.
Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:49 am  

Charlie Sheen User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

The 2009 world cup was resulted in a paradigm shift for the game in this country. We had a rubbish team, but the focus was more on our inability to cope with the wrestling tactics Australia and NZ employed. The rucks have been getting messier ever since.
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.
Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:05 pm  

User avatarHim wrote:
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

DHM wrote:

The attack had to become more one dimensional and essentially percentage based because of the improved defence.

Slowing the play the ball and faster line speed is definitely a sign of better defences.

It’s not just a case of them appearing better, they definitely are better.
Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:07 pm  

User avatarHim wrote:
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

mattsrhinos1978 wrote:
The early to mid 90's teams under Doug were a joy to watch when they were on, no better sight in rugby than Kevin Iro when he was in the mood.

I’d counter that with Keith Senior or Kallum Watkins. Or Ali, McGuire or Burrow.
Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:34 pm  

User avatarHolmes wrote:
Holmes User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

mattsrhinos1978 wrote:

Schoey was at his peak around that time and I loved watching him play in the halves and as you say we did play some great stuff but "When they were on..." is an important caveat from that period. Shame but for all the spectacular rugby and tries scored I always seem to look back on those seasons with bad memories of the times when they clearly weren't up for it. In particular I recall a bad loss at Oldham who simply had more heart for the battle than us (I think that was in 1993). I also think of some of the players like Faimalo who were nowhere near as good for us as they had been elsewhere. Iro himself could easily disappear in a match though I appreciate it can be hard for backs when the pack is beaten. I also recall being in the away end at Central Park singing "Dougie Laughton's Barmy Army" as Offiah scored 10 tries against us.
Fast forward a few years and all that made me appreciate the toughness and never give in attitude that Graham Murray and several astute signings brought in.
Re: Full Games on Youtube Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:15 pm  

glp wrote:
glp Stevo's Armpit

I have thought exactly the same , watching those games

Obviously more to it but i have a perception , its been less entertaining since we copied the aussies and started the crossfield kick to the corners on the fifth tackle , just thought it was a easy option for the stand off to do , rather than running it or passing it or putting a deft kick into the goal line area

too easy to cross field kick or up and under theses days rather than be creative with ball in hand

i am happier with lui and gale think they will pass and run more , hopefully , or kick to force teams to drop out
PreviousNext