FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 7 | St Helens (H)
DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8892
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years275th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th May 22 08:5023rd May 22 13:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:38 pm  
gulfcoast_highwayman wrote:
Why is our transition period lasting so long? I don't remember Saints or Wigan battling relegation for 3 out of 4 seasons during theirs.

We did win it in '17. We could have Warrington's transition period - 65 years.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5419
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years54th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 21:2228th Mar 24 20:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:47 pm  
chapylad wrote:
Maybe I was being over generous with Gale but at least he tried behind a well beaten pack.
We have too many average players in too many positions.
We have nobody other than possibly Hurrell who can produce the X factor required to get us out of a mess.
Equally he can drop a couple of clangers in the same game.
Saints on the other hand have strength, skill and the x factor across the park.
Even LMS looks good in that side!
Bentley once again showing what a miss he was when he signed for you instead of us.
Similar to Walmsley and what would we give for having them two in our team right now.

Indeed. There isn’t a half in the world that would be on fire behind a demolished pack. We lacked quality out wide due to injuries and just not enough quality players in the squad and we lack quality in the middle due to lack of investment for many reasons. Covid has put our recovery back a bit in my opinion. We were looking at a top forward or two but that appears to have vanished due to financial issues
RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201212 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 23 09:2610th Jul 21 23:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:26 pm  
Seth wrote:
In agars prematch interview when asked about Evan's chances of playing, he started to go on about his playing history and finding himself back in full time, how it's about getting a smile back on his face. Sounded like a charity case!

How many of these bargain basement signings are still to come, 'oh he's only on a few quid lets give him a go'. Too many of them make the 17.

agreed. we have some good kids coming through and getting game time which is good to see but i would like to see even more given a chance if the alternative is the likes of evans.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player503No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 04 20204 years271st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Oct 22 19:552nd Oct 22 19:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:29 pm  
Not convinced that we have a lot of players who are given a chance 'because they're only on a few quid.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9251
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 years17th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 22:0828th Mar 24 21:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:52 pm  
It's difficult, how do you get the culture which tells the kids they have to earn a shirt,if the current holders of the shirt aren't seen to be earning it?

If I were Holroyd I'd have been waiting outside Agars office this morning asking what I had to do to play against Wigan on Saturday...
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player18No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 10 20204 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 22 12:372nd Oct 21 10:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:01 pm  
Bottom line is we are not a top 2 side , we have cleared out some of the dead wood in the squad but it takes time , yes we should have started the process earlier but we didn't and now have to live with that.

We had 7 players out injured that I can think of , 3 from before and 4 from last week , yes I know all 7 probably wouldn't play if everyone is fit such as for example Myler , but a team will also struggle in a salary cap sport with so many out against the top team with hardly anyone out .

We know we need a wrecking ball type prop , maybe 2 , but we also need back with lightning pace , we are too slow across the backs .

In all though it wasn't good enough , there should have been more effort , but that is why we know we still need some more players and can't keep papering over the cracks
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain370
JoinedServiceReputation
May 21 20186 years276th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Aug 23 10:2511th Aug 23 17:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:56 pm  
Twice this season we have been under prepared, at the start of the season when we got turned over by Hull yet by the third game we were doing well, and after the lock down we are nowhere near ready, last week against Huddersfield we were lucky to win, only playing well in the last 15 minutes and last night against Saints it showed we have not learned anything from the previous week. Unfortunately someone has to take the blame and you only have to look at the coaching and the conditioning team who candidly have little idea. They need to hold their hands up and say they got it wrong. They look so unfit it’s unbelievable, last week Lui was a disgrace for a professional sportsman, other forwards are carrying too much weight, Hurrell I’m surprised his legs can carry him. What have they been doing for the last 3 months, have they been on holiday.
Watching last night I don’t see our kids shining yet, maybe the occasion of playing Saints got to them, but it was a chance to show us some effort etc. Someone said said we had 7 injuries from last night, already we have a sick list as long as your arm. After 3 months holiday. As much as I like Ward, when fit he is a good player, it’s time we asked Ward and Crosby to stand down retire, and give them a job at the club, we cannot continue to include these within the salary cap.
Having finished my rant, this club need to make changes and fast, last night showed how far behind we are. Ell next season my not be better, the cost of the corporate tickets are likely to increase, however Leeds United are now back in the premier league, the loyalty here is entertainment, would you buy a table of 10 at Headingley or a table of 10 at Elland rd, I hope GH you and your team are watching this, failure to prepare is prepare to fail.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain325
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 28 20177 years237th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 00:3222nd Mar 24 21:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:01 pm  
Brodie123 wrote:
Twice this season we have been under prepared, at the start of the season when we got turned over by Hull yet by the third game we were doing well, and after the lock down we are nowhere near ready, last week against Huddersfield we were lucky to win, only playing well in the last 15 minutes and last night against Saints it showed we have not learned anything from the previous week. Unfortunately someone has to take the blame and you only have to look at the coaching and the conditioning team who candidly have little idea. They need to hold their hands up and say they got it wrong. They look so unfit it’s unbelievable, last week Lui was a disgrace for a professional sportsman, other forwards are carrying too much weight, Hurrell I’m surprised his legs can carry him. What have they been doing for the last 3 months, have they been on holiday.
Watching last night I don’t see our kids shining yet, maybe the occasion of playing Saints got to them, but it was a chance to show us some effort etc. Someone said said we had 7 injuries from last night, already we have a sick list as long as your arm. After 3 months holiday. As much as I like Ward, when fit he is a good player, it’s time we asked Ward and Crosby to stand down retire, and give them a job at the club, we cannot continue to include these within the salary cap.
Having finished my rant, this club need to make changes and fast, last night showed how far behind we are. Ell next season my not be better, the cost of the corporate tickets are likely to increase, however Leeds United are now back in the premier league, the loyalty here is entertainment, would you buy a table of 10 at Headingley or a table of 10 at Elland rd, I hope GH you and your team are watching this, failure to prepare is prepare to fail.

Agree with all of this, can’t help but think that being overweight had led to a couple of the injuries we’ve sustained last week (Hurrell, Lui). Conditioning seems to be non existent at this point and it’s embarrassing from a professional sports team
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2529No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 15 20204 years56th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 00:4929th Mar 24 00:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:11 pm  
Lui has been fat since he came to the UK. It's nothing to do with lockdown. I can't believe none of the coaches he's had have insisted he get in shape.
Hurrell has spent most of the last few months in Tonga grieving for his mam, so it's understandable that he may have put on weight.

Having said that, our strength and conditioning has been rubbish for years. Apart from the odd exception none of them look like elite athletes. I'd get Salford's conditioner in.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2356
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 10 20168 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Jun 23 21:4717th Feb 22 13:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really am rhinoms and haven't stolen his Avatar!

Re: RD 7 | St Helens (H) : Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:14 pm  
Just for context im not sure anyone is demanding or suggesting we should be a top 2 dide by now.
What is obvious is we need Squad & Coaching improvenents , there have been positives pre-lockdown but 15 minutes aside last week we've come back very under done conditioning wise lacklustre effort wise & pretty Clueless wrt a gameplan.
Would the kids like Holroyd Walters & Tindell got us a win yesterday? No is the answer but imo we'd have seen a positive steo towards getting game time into them & starting that process of their SL Career paths starting.
The Coaching set up is an issue Webster was never good enough Jjb as much as a great servent he is is nowhere near a Coach & Walker imo isnt ready to step up yet.
The recruitment & retention nedds big improvements as well until then we'll be 6th/7th imo
PreviousNext