WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A)

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A)

Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 pm  

D4mo78 wrote:
D4mo78 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Toosmooth wrote:
It was nearly 6 months ago. He shined when he broke through, but has been anonymous this season.

Had a major car crash just before the Hudds game but still put his hand up to play (we talk about taking pride in the shirt, that's a great example from a young lad). And last week the team were played off the park. He kept going all night. There's a top quality centre in the making there.
Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:52 am  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Gotcha wrote:
Goalkicking aside, what the hell does Martin give this side to warrant a starting spot each week? he is a complete waste of space the majority of the time.

OMG im not alone in thinking this then??? People keep telling me how good he is. Goalkicking aside, which hes terrific at, i dont see a bloody thing he does.
Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:23 am  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

What do we expect from Martin?
He works very hard in attack and defense. He's got solid stats on both sides of the ball, and does big minutes, is quick and punches above his weight.

He was outstanding in the 2nd half last week, so I'm not sure what else should be expected.
Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:32 am  

tomlufc wrote:
tomlufc Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Anyone else noticed that when we sign a new forward they always start well and then the longer they spend at Leeds on our fatness regime they always decline to pitiful performances and very round shapes.
Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:31 am  

User avatarGotcha wrote:
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Jack Burton wrote:
What do we expect from Martin?
He works very hard in attack and defense. He's got solid stats on both sides of the ball, and does big minutes, is quick and punches above his weight.

He was outstanding in the 2nd half last week, so I'm not sure what else should be expected.

Sorry, not sure if this is a pish take or not?

Where on earth are you pulling stats from that are "solid" in attack and inparticular defence?

His defence is absolutely woeful, regularly the top missed tackler in the side. Last week against Huddersfield he missed 7 tackles, and not seen stats for this week, but I would imagine he would be double figures. This is not not new, as look at his stats properly, he regularly misses a high amount of tackles. I am unsure how anyone would equat that to "solid"?

So in terms of what do we expect. I expect an overseas player on big money, to at least be able to get the basics right, and then offer something above what a local alternative would in the game. He does in goalkicking, but is that enough?

Edit: He apparently missed 4 this weeks. I would question that though to be honest, but that's what it says.
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.
Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:47 am  
Free-scoring winger

Gotcha wrote:
Sorry, not sure if this is a pish take or not?

Where on earth are you pulling stats from that are "solid" in attack and inparticular defence?

His defence is absolutely woeful, regularly the top missed tackler in the side. Last week against Huddersfield he missed 7 tackles, and not seen stats for this week, but I would imagine he would be double figures. This is not not new, as look at his stats properly, he regularly misses a high amount of tackles. I am unsure how anyone would equat that to "solid"?

So in terms of what do we expect. I expect an overseas player on big money, to at least be able to get the basics right, and then offer something above what a local alternative would in the game. He does in goalkicking, but is that enough?

Edit: He apparently missed 4 this weeks. I would question that though to be honest, but that's what it says.

How many carries and metres this week cos i hardly saw him in 80 minutes? I cant say hes a grafter at all, he is capable of making the odd line break but for me his overall contribution is very poor most weeks in my opinion.

I know a lot like him but i just dont see much at all tho i agree with Jack he did have a better 2nd half v Huddersfield but his 1st half was abysmal.

At HT v Saints i messaged 'lets see who has a dig in 2nd half' i nearly put 'i guarantee Martin wont' but i didnt.
Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:53 am  

User avatarGotcha wrote:
Gotcha User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
How many carries and metres this week cos i hardly saw him in 80 minutes? I cant say hes a grafter at all, he is capable of making the odd line break but for me his overall contribution is very poor most weeks in my opinion.

I know a lot like him but i just dont see much at all tho i agree with Jack he did have a better 2nd half v Huddersfield but his 1st half was abysmal.

At HT v Saints i messaged 'lets see who has a dig in 2nd half' i nearly put 'i guarantee Martin wont' but i didnt.

Apparently 15 carries, and a total of 78 metres. Really poor. But they all were. He made less metres than Smith who had one less carry, and Smith made 54 tackles in the match. For me Smith is way above anything Martin currently offers, and he's a local lad.
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.
Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:02 am  
Free-scoring winger

Gotcha wrote:
Apparently 15 carries, and a total of 78 metres. Really poor. But they all were. He made less metres than Smith who had one less carry, and Smith made 54 tackles in the match. For me Smith is way above anything Martin currently offers, and he's a local lad.

Smith is different gravy altogether to Martin. Different attitude and toughness .
Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:39 am  

Jack Burton wrote:

Martin
35 tackles 4 missed. 15 carries 78m vs Saints
20 tackles 7 missed. 22 carries 188m vs Hudds
18 tackles 6 missed. 20 carries 108m vs TWP.
25 tackles 0 missed. 10 carries 67m vs Warrington
43 tackles 4 missed. 9 carries 59m vs Hull.

Average per game
28 tackles
4 missed tackles
15 carries
100 meters
Average gain 6.67m per carry. Tackle efficiency 86%

Alex Mellor
13 tackles 1 missed. 11 carries 79m vs Saints
46 tackles 2 missed. 14 carries 111m vs Hudds
35 tackles 2 missed. 12 carries 76m vs TWP
36 tackles 2 missed. 11 carries 79m vs Warrington
29 tackles 9 missed. 8 carries 56m vs Salford
25 tackles 5 missed. 14 carries 114m vs HKR
13 tackles 1 missed. 3 carries 26m vs HFC

Average per game
28 tackles
3 missed tackles
10 carries
78 meters
Average gain 7.8 meters per carry
Tackle efficiency 89%

It'd be interesting to see how those compare to other 2nd rowers in SL.
Re: RD 8 | Wigan Warriors (A) Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:39 am  

Jack Burton wrote:

Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
Smith is different gravy altogether to Martin. Different attitude and toughness .

Different position too.
PreviousNext