Oct 26 20204 years37th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 06:5929th Apr 24 06:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:42 am  
KaeruJim wrote:
But dropped ball / penalties is making us defend our own 30/40 constantly. Switch four sets of that for four sets of good ball and the balance of the game changes.

Another thing is that Bentley can’t be advocated by people who also think we lack strike in the pack, you can’t have your cake and eat it. Said before but for me the comparison is Goudemand/Donaldson/o’Connor/Bentley.

Think O’Connor got pushed off another marker tackle for one of Wire’s tries but he was very good other than that.

Some tough decisions needed to elevate us from here, because on current evidence the team isn’t good enough still.

It’s not impossible that Max Simpson comes through at centre this year and we push Mom out to wing, but he looks too slow for wing.

I don't believe that errors is the reason why we are constantly defending our own line.
It's the passive defence.
Castleford and Leigh, first half.
We didn't make errors, we just allowed them to march all the way up the pitch every set.

And yes, before anyone points out, I know we won those games.
It may work occasionally against poor teams.
But decent teams, and teams on form will punish us.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5541
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years51st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 06:2728th Apr 24 22:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:43 am  
Once were Loiners wrote:
Agree Jack. I didn't rate Frawley, but until he's played games where we've got field position its hard to judge him too harshly. Croft isn't exactly setting the world on fire either, and he definitely is a good player. Momirovksi looks a shadow of his former self, but maybe needs a bit more time to get going, and again is in a team constantly playing at the wrong end of the field. Miller I think would be doing far less crazy stuff if he wasn't needing to look for miracles every play - he didn't do that in the NRL.

The problem is the forwards. We lack a bit of size and power, but that was always the case looking at our squad. The bigger issue is the way our forwards are playing, and even if we had different players would they look much different? The defensive "strategy" is pants, and has been for over a year. We're getting mullered right down the middle of the field and losing ridiculous yardage on every set. That's down to attitude and the way they are being asked to play.

We're looking only marginally better than last season despite laying out big money for a new spine, who are wasted because of where and how they're getting the ball. If Smith doesn't address that then its not new players we need as much as a new coach. And that really pains me to say because I like a lot of what he's done at the club.

Spot on
Seth 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6529No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 200420 years7th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 18:1629th Apr 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:46 am  
The 'rose tinted brigade' are taking a break from the negativity on here (I can understand that though).

The game will always be based on earning the right to play through defending with intent high up the field, restricting your opponents yardage and making them kick from deep therefore receiving the kick as far up the field as possible then creating momentum with the same on the other side of the ball. Save for a few examples of heads up rugby and attacking early in the set and from deep, that is how successful teams will always play the game. RS thinks he can do it the other way around, he's wrong.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4333
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years25th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 21:0229th Apr 24 16:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:51 am  
Well you might call it rose tinted while I’d say half of you on here are ridiculously negative. Different perspectives.

I agree with you that our mistakes and tactics can be related, we’re often pushing the miracle play but it isn’t just that. I also think you all repeat “passive defence” a million times and believe it; actually watching games I see some sets where we are slack yes, but others where we do get up and compete in D. It’s just not as simple as some make out. The fix won’t be as simple as just changing the coach…. again. You didn’t like McDermott, you didn’t like Furner, you didn’t like Agar, you don’t like Smith, you do like any other coach whose side happens to be doing okay one year… well if you’re right and we’ve had 7 years of crap coaching then who appoints the coaches?

The balanced view in my very humble opinion is that we are 2-3 star signings off competing at the top still, and yes RS has some pressure over this next sequence of games. Hudds could be interesting.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4333
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years25th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:58 am  
Simmo71 wrote:
I don't believe that errors is the reason why we are constantly defending our own line.
It's the passive defence.
Castleford and Leigh, first half.
We didn't make errors, we just allowed them to march all the way up the pitch every set.

And yes, before anyone points out, I know we won those games.
It may work occasionally against poor teams.
But decent teams, and teams on form will punish us.

We did make errors/give penalties in those games. I’m agreeing that our D has been too soft at times, especially line speed and it looks systemic/tactical. It’s hard to figure out though because we are not consistently “passive”.

Seriously if people look at the tries conceded against Wire, you will find almost every point conceded came directly from our own errors and penalties. You can disagree with those facts if you like. Knock on, knock on, try. Penalty, try. Interception. How is it passive defence to blame when we are defending sets starting in our own 30/40 so frequently?
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1435
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 20204 years37th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 06:5929th Apr 24 06:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:01 am  
Yep maybe different perspectives.
What's your view on our kick chase versus the oppositions?

From where I see it, Frawley is always kicking under pressure from the opposition chase.
And then we bag him for kicking straight into hands.

The opposition kicker seems to have all the time in the world.
Look at Fridays game.
The young kid at 7 for Wire.
He received the ball on the 5th, looked up and could not believe the space in front of him.
He ran another 15 metres and placed the kick where he wanted.

What is driving that?
Fitness, laziness, players don't care or they're just dumb?
Or is that what they are being told / coached to do.

I honestly don't get it.
But line speed and kick pressure surely are absolute basics.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player791No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 20222 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 06:0330th Apr 24 06:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:03 am  
I think we’ve got some quality that we didn’t have last year.

I think the pack is unbalanced. Particularly in the back row, but also light in the front row.

The whole passive defence I just can’t decide if it’s a tactic or a mentality thing. We’ve been able to get up and in faces so to speak, but we don’t/can’t do it consistently. Mentality wise, we can pull ourselves out of a hole, but often crumble when we’ve got players missing. We make too many errors, and I’m not convinced all of those come from pushing the ball.

I like smith, but as a coach a lot of it falls at your door whether it’s a tactic or not. I don’t think he’s getting the best out of the squad. Dare I say there might be some Powell comparisons here…he’s put the broom through the squad and we might need the next coach to push us over the hump as Tony smith did.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4333
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years25th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:07 am  
Seth wrote:
The 'rose tinted brigade' are taking a break from the negativity on here (I can understand that though).

The game will always be based on earning the right to play through defending with intent high up the field, restricting your opponents yardage and making them kick from deep therefore receiving the kick as far up the field as possible then creating momentum with the same on the other side of the ball. Save for a few examples of heads up rugby and attacking early in the set and from deep, that is how successful teams will always play the game. RS thinks he can do it the other way around, he's wrong.

I actually agree Sethster and I’m a defence first kinda guy; I’m just not sure that RS has this evil master plan to make us defend badly. We are just not playing well enough either side of the ball.

If we do one thing, we need to tighten up the first 20. We’re constantly making stupid mistakes and then overloading ourselves in D, which compounds everything. Worryingly, the reserves were just the same yesterday.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4333
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years25th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:25 am  
Simmo71 wrote:
Yep maybe different perspectives.
What's your view on our kick chase versus the oppositions?

From where I see it, Frawley is always kicking under pressure from the opposition chase.
And then we bag him for kicking straight into hands.

The opposition kicker seems to have all the time in the world.
Look at Fridays game.
The young kid at 7 for Wire.
He received the ball on the 5th, looked up and could not believe the space in front of him.
He ran another 15 metres and placed the kick where he wanted.

What is driving that?
Fitness, laziness, players don't care or they're just dumb?
Or is that what they are being told / coached to do.

I honestly don't get it.
But line speed and kick pressure surely are absolute basics.

Yes I’ve noticed that too I agree; although even when Frawley has had time I’ve not been blown away - although his attacking kicks are pretty good (Newman try for example).

We are losing the pressure game most weeks. I don’t love our line speed at times but it isn’t always bad - I was watching closely against Wire. It was rubbish at times against Cas.

There is an argument to conserve energy at times, in various facets of the game because a knackered player is an ineffective one. It’s a very hard game, especially for the big men. But you have to play tight and precise if you’re going to play that game and we are failing; and there are consequences of taking shortcuts.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5541
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years51st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 06:2728th Apr 24 22:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:53 am  
Most of the sky comms team say we play passive defence. Wilkin is always commenting on it. Where’s that attitude in defence come from? Ultimately the coach carries the can. At the moment RS is not getting a tune from the players and hasn’t done for the last season and a bit.
PreviousNext