JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 200420 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 16:463rd May 24 20:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:20 pm  
Smith was given. An 'unfair ride' last season despite the challenges he either created or was dealt, because despite any mitigation it was painfully obvious that he wasn't and isn't the right coach to take us forward.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7224
JoinedServiceReputation
May 28 200222 years123rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 21:143rd May 24 21:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:10 pm  
FlexWheeler wrote:
We are just rotting in mediocrity right now. People talking about having seen worse teams like it’s some badge of honour. Just because the club has been a mess in yesteryear doesn’t mean standards should be dropped.

If this is a response to my post as the one before this one, I mentioned those poorer sides because another poster claimed this was the worst Leeds side since 1978. It is not.

Like it or not, the competition is totally different to 97-98. Back then all it took was a very astute coaching appointment, a handful of signings and GH buying out half of Keighley and we waltzed straight back into the top 2. And let's not forget that we could only keep Murray for two years, after which he left us in a mess and took our best forward to the NRL.

The only club that have done anything approaching this recently is Leigh, and look where they are now - only 'semi competent' according to your analysis.

We don't know yet how good or bad this side is. We're in 8th now, but the season isn't decided after 8 rounds. Most of the teams above us have played and beaten Hull and London. Knowing Leeds we will lose one or both of these games because confidence is bottoming out again, but they could equally be opportunities to rebuild a bit of belief in the team and go on a winning run.

Given the changes made to the team, it was always going to take time to gel. Things were looking promising until we had a spell of tough games against Saints, at which point the belief of some players seemed to evaporate. Aspects of recent performances aren't acceptable for a big club like Leeds, but I'm wary of a knee-jerk decision that will undo green shoots that GH seems to think are visible behind the scenes at the club.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1026No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 15 20212 years39th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 23:362nd May 24 12:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:21 am  
I understand the knee-jerk perception, and I'd love us not to have to rip up part of the plan and start again. But the fact is we're 8th in the comp after a huge outlay on players - in fact very similar to 97. We've seen very little sign of that investment giving us a big jump in results, as we saw immediately in 97. I don't think anyone expected us to win the comp this year, but right now the signs just are not good.

It is of course possible that we'll turn things around, but after a 2 week break from a disappointing series of results I think most of us wanted to see more than another game where we play well for half a match and then a shambles in the other. There's a little light now in facing teams in consecutive weeks we should be able to beat, and maybe that will start to build confidence? But last year we got the odd win that seemed to suggest better days, only to fall in a heap the following week. My issue is that we again seem so poor at the fundamentals of low errors, winning collisions and winning territory. If we keep doing that I don't see anything approaching a turnaround happening.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1252No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 31 201113 years225th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 07:292nd May 24 08:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Leeds is the greatest club in Rugby League"
Alex Murphy 2011

Re: Smith out ASAP : Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:43 am  
batleyrhino wrote:
There’s only one way that GH will
actually do something about this, if the supporters make it absolutely clear that the coaching of the team is not good enough. This is already started, the North Stand under the coaching booth were very vocal on Friday, but it’s only when it’s coming from all quarters that GH can’t ignore it.

I’m not one for booing or slating players at the match, and I don’t see that changing. But for the first time I can remember, I went to Friday’s game not really caring whether we won or lost. How has it come to that so early in the season ? I walked up the hill after the game with a feeling of resignation, not anger or hurt. Is there something inside me wanting this to get a whole lot worse because that’s the only way things can realistically get better ? For me it feels like the season is already over if we carry on with the same manager employing the same tactics. The next two games don’t give me the feeling they are fixtures to “build confidence”, they are an easier way to gain two points than other fixtures, simple as that.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1792No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 201113 years184th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 16:282nd May 24 16:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:02 am  
Sadly it’s crossed my mind that the Hull match may not be a nailed on win. Face value shouldn’t be a problem, however Hull will be up for this game plus Myler will know exactly our strengths and weaknesses.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7224
JoinedServiceReputation
May 28 200222 years123rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 21:143rd May 24 21:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:36 am  
Yes, Sutcliffe will no doubt be amongst the scorers, with a section of our support suggesting he shouldn't have been allowed to leave. At least one loss in the next two games feels like it is on the cards.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31595
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years73rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 15:173rd May 24 12:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: Smith out ASAP : Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:43 am  
Smith won some admirers in his brief time at Bradford when the team played some nice rugby but it unraveled in the big games when his tactics fell short. He was gone when we went into admin. He's been around the scene in Australia at a few clubs but never seemed to get a mention when an NRL job was available. I heard that his nickname was "the myth". So when he turned up at Leeds I had some reservations but the side did well initially and it looked like a decent appointment.

Unfortunately things have gone backwards since then and that's not a good sign. Usually you expect a bit of a bounce at first then a short period of recalibration before more improvement as the coach builds a roster of players he wants and a good culture.

He's a tetchy personality (like Tony and Brian) and I'm not sure that he's got the substance to get away with that. Recruitment doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why sign the injury prone Fusitua, allow Hall to leave then bring him back aged 37? Why not prioritise signings in the pack? It's all very well signing halfbacks and wing threequarters but without a platform they're not going to shine. You need a platform first.

That sort of approach seems to be mirrored in the way Leeds play which to me looks very "loose". There's a lack of intensity or consistency or any recognition that you need to roll your sleeves up and do the dirty work to earn the right to play the fancy stuff. This is just my impression. You lot watch them more than me.

Leeds need a coach who can inspire players and who has a track record. Someone that players want to play for and work hard for. They don't need a matey approach and they don't want someone who plays mind games.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9305
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 years17th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 16:173rd May 24 19:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.

Re: Smith out ASAP : Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:55 am  
Bang on Bullseye.
RankPostsTeam
International Star216No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 03 201410 years289th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 12:1922nd Apr 24 12:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:01 am  
Backwoodsman wrote:
Sadly it’s crossed my mind that the Hull match may not be a nailed on win. Face value shouldn’t be a problem, however Hull will be up for this game plus Myler will know exactly our strengths and weaknesses.

Really? Not sure Myler knows anything about Leeds weaknesses or strengths as he always seemed to play his own game for his own benefit under the auspices of his partners father who had much clout in the Boardroom. I cannot see what value Myler will bring to a troubled club like Hull who need help.
I might be wrong but if he does have any hidden talent at all why didn’t the mighty Hetherington onboard Myler to the Rhinos board?

Just a question not a request for persecution from the rat pack on here
RankPostsTeam
International Star1792No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 201113 years184th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 16:282nd May 24 16:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:07 am  
Bobtownrhino wrote:
Really? Not sure Myler knows anything about Leeds weaknesses or strengths as he always seemed to play his own game for his own benefit under the auspices of his partners father who had much clout in the Boardroom. I cannot see what value Myler will bring to a troubled club like Hull who need help.
I might be wrong but if he does have any hidden talent at all why hidden she mighty Hetherington onboard Myler to the Rhinos board

Just a question not a request for persecution from the rat pack on here

Presumably he trained with the squad, so he will be aware as to how smith wants teams to play. Blake Austin made some relevant remarks on social media regarding how Smith wants his half backs to play.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Leeds Rhinos

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Smith out ASAP
Exeter Rhino
6m
Sheffield Eagles
Khlav Kalash
7m
Asiata is going to Hull