FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 7 | Warrington Wolves (H)
Boots 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain82
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 20195 years271st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 00:025th May 24 17:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | Warrington Wolves (H) : Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:09 pm  
Absolute sh**e ! Out played and out coached , if anybody thinks RS will get this team into the top 6 is deluded. His reputation for improving players has worked in the opposite direction at Leeds - he is making players worse eg. Oledski , Holdroyd , Newman etc .
He has to go now !!
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1045No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 15 20212 years38th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 00:1519th May 24 13:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | Warrington Wolves (H) : Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:51 am  
I can't really defend that. This stupid defensive system (or approach) is going to continue to kill us against decent (or half decent teams). We simply cannot compete when we're playing sets from our line and the opposition starts close to halfway. Every time we play more direct and compete for position we look miles better, but that seems to be once every five or six games, and even then maybe for 40 minutes.

Its just a really poor strategy, and it can't help but make everyone else, particularly our playmakers, look like complete duds. Its all very well talking about needing more structure in attack but far too many sets are starting so deep that only hail mary plays can help. I don't see how we can even try to build a quality attacking shape when we have so few attacking sets.

Frawley really doesn't look at all good at the moment, but I'll admit that unless we start to win territory battles its not fair to judge him or the other spine players.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2185
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 02 201311 years147th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th May 24 20:1513th May 24 08:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | Warrington Wolves (H) : Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:30 am  
Once were Loiners wrote:
I can't really defend that. This stupid defensive system (or approach) is going to continue to kill us against decent (or half decent teams). We simply cannot compete when we're playing sets from our line and the opposition starts close to halfway. Every time we play more direct and compete for position we look miles better, but that seems to be once every five or six games, and even then maybe for 40 minutes.

Its just a really poor strategy, and it can't help but make everyone else, particularly our playmakers, look like complete duds. Its all very well talking about needing more structure in attack but far too many sets are starting so deep that only hail mary plays can help. I don't see how we can even try to build a quality attacking shape when we have so few attacking sets.

Frawley really doesn't look at all good at the moment, but I'll admit that unless we start to win territory battles its not fair to judge him or the other spine players.

I could judge Frawley on his stint at Midgets and his following failure in Oz ,Miller is a seven a side player and Mom is on Holiday , we have little size in the pack apart from flat a track Bully and a slow motion heavyweight .

Meanwhile Wigan have two superstar Aussies who they have signed up long term and a pack of young , tough , big enthusiastic forwards and loads off them . Oh and there coach improves players .
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1008No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 11 20203 years154th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 06:5717th May 24 11:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | Warrington Wolves (H) : Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:58 am  
Why is it that every week Leeds give away a try from dummy half in their own 10 metre area? What do they do in training?
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1045No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 15 20212 years38th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 00:1519th May 24 13:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | Warrington Wolves (H) : Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:26 am  
ploiner - I promised to stop bagging Frawley in the off season, as I thought he was likely to be a bit of a dud. Nothing I've seen changes that, but Croft isn't setting the world on fire either. The reason for me isn't so much talk of structure etc but the fact we're consistently getting murdered up the middle. I've never seen half backs able to do much if the pack is getting monstered like ours is.

I think Smith sees it as rope-a-dope - let the other side think they're making yards etc but not score tries, and we hit back and score from a distance. Or that seems to be the approach. It worked at the back end of 2022 because it was different and we simply didn't have the forwards to do anything else. But it got worked out last year, and if he doesn't look to change it up I really don't think he'll be here next year.

I know we don't have the biggest forward rotation but they can and should play with linespeed and aggression. We'd look so much better if they did.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4426
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years20th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 11:3215th May 24 08:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | Warrington Wolves (H) : Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:26 am  
Conceding soft tries just before half time is a killer too.

If you watch the game back you’ll see our line speed in D wasn’t terrible all game. You’ll see that most Wire tries came directly from our errors.

We are gifting teams possession and position through errors. It could be argued that some of those errors are down to individuals trying to take on the entire opposition… but I just think we’re out of form right now.

Yes the coach is ultimately responsible for this and RS has work to do. We look like half the side needs a pre-season again already.

Expect Handley to be out for a while with ribs.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9330
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 years17th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 12:1319th May 24 12:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.

Re: RD 7 | Warrington Wolves (H) : Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:32 am  
The errors are coming as a result of culture, we accept errors with a pat on the back and an “oh well never mind”. That culture facilitates those errors, and the top teams just don’t accept them. Can you imagine McDermott, McGuire, Burrow, Sinfield, Peacock accepting the team making the errors that we are making? The culture starts with the coach and is taken onto the field by the leadership group which we are also badly lacking.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain161No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 11 20195 years269th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 13:1026th Apr 24 07:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Well, where to start? IMO Smith has had plenty of time and it's clear, he needs to go.

Croft & Ackers are class players and have shown that in very brief glimpses, but on whole they've been meh. THat for me is down to tactics and coaching and not them as players.

Frawley, please just leave. You're pump.

One thing that I noticed last night. Whenever we had conceded a try and gathered behind the sticks, you would expect the Capt or senior players trying to motivate, or bollock players. There was non of that. Cam Smith just stood looking out of the group. Was he wondering why his hair is shocking? Was he wondering why he ws made captain? Who knows, but he's bang average and not a captain at all.

We have zero line speed, we are weak was water in defence. Mom again brushed off so easy to concede a try. Without Bentley we have little to no aggression in the side. We are just poor and without RS going we arent getting top 6.

Another note. Wilkin is a bell.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1810No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 201113 years176th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 11:3721st May 24 16:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Another abject woeful home display, goal line defence abysmal. Check out the for and against stats on the league table. Absolutely shocking, worst of all the so called top teams. Lee Briers quoted the difference between our league and the NRL is the defence system in Australia is superior. Suggest we get a top defensive coach in asap. Yet again we conceded a virtual walk in try from 10 yards out. Missed Bentley last night, to think some on here don’t rate him. He would definitely have ruffled a few Warrington forwards feathers. The Warrington pack waked around as if they owned the place .
Ironically they did ,our pack was non existent . George Williams gave a master class in rugby league, best of luck to him . Anyone see anything of Croft last night, totally anonymous. Good job Vaughn wasn’t playing, might possibly have put another couple of scores on the total. A sobering thought is we have to still play Warrington, Saints, Catalan again plus Wigan twice. Nailed on 5 defeats, plus the 3 we have already suffered, virtually impossible for a top four finish. Finally body language of our team pathetic, looked like they wanted to be anywhere apart from on the field. Contrast that with Warrington they understandably were enjoying themselves. Looked up for the game from the first minute.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain916No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 01 20159 years213th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 11:4216th May 24 14:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 7 | Warrington Wolves (H) : Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:01 am  
The amount of soft tries we concede is pathetic. Poor 1 on 1 misses shocking marker play, that's on the players not Rohan Smith for me this group of players mentality is soft and unless it switches we will continue to be a mid table team that coast through super league season after season.

However I think you can question Smith mentality as well, especially when it comes to team selection you can understand carrying a back on the bench incase of injury but when a winger gets injured and you have a winger on the bench I can not understand why you don't make that like for like change but instead put a prop on and make another 3 players movements within your team.

I think something will have to give in next few weeks both Smith and majority of the players need a massive switch in mentality and understand that rugby league is quite a simple game if you want to be successful, got off your line, whack hard and legally in defence, complete your sets, kick and pin your opponents in a corner and in attack run hard and be genuine options.
PreviousNext