Sep 16 201014 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Mar 24 14:3621st Jun 23 15:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The all new Pubs thread : Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:35 am  
dddooommm wrote:
Great little beer. If you find yourself in Holbeck, get down to their bar 'The Refectory'.

Has anyone ever been to the Magic Rock Brewery?

Yes - The magic rock brewery tap is well worth a visit (though I believe it is still closed at the min). It is about 15-20 mins walk from Huddersfield station and normally has about 12 cask ales about 8 keg as well as a good selection of bottles.
Mr Dog 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1256No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 02 200420 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Mar 24 20:5528th Oct 23 10:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The all new Pubs thread : Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:13 pm  
snowie wrote:
You can get your water sampled at murphy and sons as they have a lab there which can advise you what additives you can add to the water in which to emulate the water in Burton, they can pick up more than the PH levels in water for you

Guinness tried shipping water over from Ireland to their London brewery - still didn't get the taste the same!
Mr Dog 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1256No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 02 200420 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Mar 24 20:5528th Oct 23 10:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The all new Pubs thread : Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:17 pm  
Bulliac wrote:
No, it isn't.

Is Everards still a current brewery? There's been a hell of a lot of 'rationalisation' in the industry since we were at VP...., Ah Mr Google says that it is still an entity, though now based in Leicester rather than Burton Trent, where it used to be. In fact it doesn't seem to mention Burton on their website, though they aren't quite so coy in mentioning "their 100 and odd years history". I guess that it's no longer being on at the Dolly isn't the only change. No doubt, a la Tetley's, they'll be claiming it's still the same beer....

Tetleys started to change when they opened the new fermenting hall in Leeds - the new vats were made of stainless and enclosed rather than made of slate and open. Although the big difference was probably that the workers weren't allowed to smoke in the new hall........ :D
RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Jan 23 15:1321st Jun 22 13:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls

Re: The all new Pubs thread : Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:49 pm  
snowie wrote:
You can get your water sampled at murphy and sons as they have a lab there which can advise you what additives you can add to the water in which to emulate the water in Burton, they can pick up more than the PH levels in water for you

Oh, I know about water testing and the taking out and adding in different elements - to be fair, it's gone on for years. It all seems rather sad to me though. The big megga keggeries are all run by 'big money' these days, lots of adverts and less accent on the brewing. I say "these days" though it's gone on for forty years or more.

More power to the small guy who's more interested in quality.
snowie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years307th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The all new Pubs thread : Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:28 pm  
Bulliac wrote:
Oh, I know about water testing and the taking out and adding in different elements - to be fair, it's gone on for years. It all seems rather sad to me though. The big megga keggeries are all run by 'big money' these days, lots of adverts and less accent on the brewing. I say "these days" though it's gone on for forty years or more.

More power to the small guy who's more interested in quality.
I had a fantastic time when I was brewing and two guys involved, one who started at Clarks and then joined the other at Tetleys, over the few years we worked together they taught me a lot I put my engineering skills in making the brewery and Neil showed me the the way to brew,
Steve came in later and refined my processes which included making me more cost effective and improved quality too, in the end it became to much to do with my illness and had to sell it on, had I still had now I would of gone under.
The brewery now is installed at Barmaster in Highcliffe Industrial Estate off Bruntcliffe Ln Morley, Steve was still brewing at the time and produces some cracking ale. They do pins if you wanted to purchase one beers they do is Legend, Belle Vue blonde and hop and under IPA, all cracking brews
RankPostsTeam
Moderator8080
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 02 200222 years88th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 15:1624th Mar 24 17:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
//www.twitter.com/pumpetypump

Re: The all new Pubs thread : Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 am  
Interesting that Snowie has visited us as I was in a couple of Wakey's pubs at the weekend. Started off at Harry's bar in the town Centre. Bit annoying because you have to pre-book the outside area, but people had not turned up (tossers). So it was half empty but we weren't allowed on it so had to sit in the shade. I had one beer which apparently is made in a shed in someone's garden so clearly they're happy to support the micro (extremely) brewers.

To warm up a bit we ended up going on to the King's Arms at Heath which is a village about 5 mins from Belle Vue. It's an Ossett pub so they'll always have 4 from them plus usually a Clarke's or other ones from the area. If we ever get to play Trin again and you've not been it's a nice spot to go on a warm day.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Jan 23 15:1321st Jun 22 13:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls

Re: The all new Pubs thread : Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:44 pm  
Yeah, I used to like Clark's beers, which were brewed at Wakefield IIRC. I believe it was part of the same firm which made the 'pop'. I was never a Tetley fan, even when Tetley bittermen ruled the world (or West Yorks, at least) Tet's was very malty but I always preferred the hoppy beers. Joseph Holt in Manchester was one of my big favourites and all the more so because it was hard to come by in Bradford.
snowie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years307th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The all new Pubs thread : Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 pm  
Pumpetypump wrote:
Interesting that Snowie has visited us as I was in a couple of Wakey's pubs at the weekend. Started off at Harry's bar in the town Centre. Bit annoying because you have to pre-book the outside area, but people had not turned up (tossers). So it was half empty but we weren't allowed on it so had to sit in the shade. I had one beer which apparently is made in a shed in someone's garden so clearly they're happy to support the micro (extremely) brewers.

To warm up a bit we ended up going on to the King's Arms at Heath which is a village about 5 mins from Belle Vue. It's an Ossett pub so they'll always have 4 from them plus usually a Clarke's or other ones from the area. If we ever get to play Trin again and you've not been it's a nice spot to go on a warm day.

I had my beers in Harrys a few times but you need quite a few of these pubs as they like to chop and change, kings arms too I felt a bit privileged getting in there being owned by ossett brewery as they tend to stick to their own ales, only once did I get to go head to head with ossett blonde in a pub out yeadon and we came out winners with the public.

The top house at Bradford also bought a few but for some reason our ales wasn't dark enough there, certain pub regulars demand a certain type of ale, tried a few pubs but they wouldn't convert from larger and it failed.

It was a hard time brewing and racking but was one of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever done

It would be most likely 5 towns brewery that you tried

https://www.fivetownsbrewery.com/index.html
Or https://tigertopsbrewery.co.uk

This was ours https://untappd.com/TrinityBrewingCo
Pumpetypump wrote:

I had my beers in Harrys a few times but you need quite a few of these pubs as they like to chop and change, kings arms too I felt a bit privileged getting in there being owned by ossett brewery as they tend to stick to their own ales, only once did I get to go head to head with ossett blonde in a pub out yeadon and we came out winners with the public.

The top house at Bradford also bought a few but for some reason our ales wasn't dark enough there, certain pub regulars demand a certain type of ale, tried a few pubs but they wouldn't convert from larger and it failed.

It was a hard time brewing and racking but was one of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever done

It would be most likely 5 towns brewery that you tried

https://www.fivetownsbrewery.com/index.html
Or https://tigertopsbrewery.co.uk

This was ours https://untappd.com/TrinityBrewingCo
Previous