FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Hull Kingston Rovers 34 - 10 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Full Time.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - London (H)
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 03 200617 years263rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 23 12:493rd Feb 23 15:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London (H) : Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:16 pm  
Scarey71 wrote:
Maybe so but there's no team spirit, there playing for themselves not each other and something is really wrong. They looked like a team when congratulating GFJr when he scored but it was quickly back to every man for himself.

I agree, I’m not saying the players take no responsibility for the situation but ultimately, the coach is responsible for making sure players are motivated, fit enough and giving the game plan to compete.

At the moment we’re doing none of the above - if some of the players are past being motivated for this club then drop them.

We sacked Kear based on the lacklustre performances, I’m assuming the club wanted / anticipated a change in performances as a result.

At the moment it’s looking like a complete failure.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player9No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 20213 years301st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 12:1417th Oct 23 16:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London (H) : Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:08 pm  
I had an ominous feeling the moment the team was announced. The pitch was dry and the evening hot so we needed young, fit and fast players yet we had supertankers in Walker, Ben Evans, Crossley and Baldwinson and ageing players in Murphy and Flanagan Snr. Where were AJ Wallace, Scurr, Millar, Hall etc.? And so it proved: we were ponderously slow, with retreating players still having their back to the play the ball as London speeded things up. The London halves ran fast and attacked the line whereas Patton and Lilley were slow and predictable; at times Lilley disappeared completely. Thank heavens for George Flanagan Jnr, not perfect but the only one showing speed and enthusiasm and well worth Bull’s MotM. It was so bad at times I wonder if Dunning has already lost the dressing room. If so that is depressing indeed.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31543
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years76th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 08:0527th Mar 24 15:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: London (H) : Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:19 am  
The forwards are too slow and unfit and can't defend their own line. Crossley and Walker may have one or two good carries in a game but these are negated by the glacial speed of the PTB they get.

The halfbacks run across the field and so give ball to the backs far too late for them to do anything with it. This is partly down to the slow PTB and lack of go forward but the kicking game is abysmal. Aimless kicks to Gill are just a turnover of possession. Putting a bomb up and then not bothering to chase your own kick and put your teammates on side is lazy and it caught us out twice when we could've re-gained possession.

The whole squad looks distinctly low on confidence, enthusiasm and belief. Flanagan Jnr offered all that - a 17 year old! We need to promote a few more kids I think to inject some vigour into this squad.

Dunning said in his post match interview that there were improvements on the Newcastle performance. That has to be the lowest bar ever. His body language showed that he knows he has a heck of a job on his hands. Feel sorry for the bloke. Where is the next win coming from?

Everyone around me at the game was saying that we'd be lucky to keep it under 60 versus Barrow and Halifax. The silence that greeted the final hooter said it all. By then only about 75 people remained on the pop side to see the team off the field.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 03 200617 years263rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 23 12:493rd Feb 23 15:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London (H) : Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:42 am  
Bullseye wrote:
The forwards are too slow and unfit and can't defend their own line. Crossley and Walker may have one or two good carries in a game but these are negated by the glacial speed of the PTB they get.

The halfbacks run across the field and so give ball to the backs far too late for them to do anything with it. This is partly down to the slow PTB and lack of go forward but the kicking game is abysmal. Aimless kicks to Gill are just a turnover of possession. Putting a bomb up and then not bothering to chase your own kick and put your teammates on side is lazy and it caught us out twice when we could've re-gained possession.

The whole squad looks distinctly low on confidence, enthusiasm and belief. Flanagan Jnr offered all that - a 17 year old! We need to promote a few more kids I think to inject some vigour into this squad.

Dunning said in his post match interview that there were improvements on the Newcastle performance. That has to be the lowest bar ever. His body language showed that he knows he has a heck of a job on his hands. Feel sorry for the bloke. Where is the next win coming from?

Everyone around me at the game was saying that we'd be lucky to keep it under 60 versus Barrow and Halifax. The silence that greeted the final hooter said it all. By then only about 75 people remained on the pop side to see the team off the field.

I think after the last couple of weeks, the attendances are going to completely drop off for the rest of the year.

We’re not going to make the play offs and the players aren’t even playing for pride anymore ( Flanagan jr the exception).

Will ST renewal time make Wood and co to consider their decision on the head coach?

There’s 3 in my group and none of us are going to renew as things stand. It’s just not enjoyable anymore - I wonder how many of the crowd at the weekend went away thinking they’d had a good day out?
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player440No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 15 20213 years240th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 22:2027th Mar 24 14:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London (H) : Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:54 am  
Last week Dunning said we have not suddenly become a bad team but unfortunately that is the case.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31543
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years76th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 08:0527th Mar 24 15:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: London (H) : Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:31 am  
Peter Goddard wrote:
Last week Dunning said we have not suddenly become a bad team but unfortunately that is the case.

I heard him say that and he's right. We've become a bad team, not overnight, but over the last 18months. It wasn't what he meant though and a coach has to stand by his players publicly. What he says behind closed doors is a different matter.

The quote doesn't really do him any favours as it implies the Newcastle result was an aberration. Instead I think it's been on the cards for some time. With the attitude and fitness of the current side on the decline it was only a matter of time before we got spanked.

The performance vs London was poor. Dunning said we got into the arm wrestle which pleased him but it's a very low bar to clear. When we clawed our way back into the game we promptly conceded a try under the sticks. The coach and players can talk as much as they like but the evidence on the field shows they're not at the races at the moment.

As for attendances they announced approx 2700 for this game. I'm genuinely sceptical about that - they must be counting season ticket holders who weren't there as it looked like there was about 1k less than that. I actually quite enjoyed watching Flanagan Jnr make his debut. The rest left a lot to be desired but there was almost a perverse comedy about seeing our fatties getting smacked about. The hit on Ben Evans was a classic example of what happens when you play half hearted rugby. He took a ball at walking pace and got absolutely cleaned out by the London defender. We made Wellington Albert look like Gordon Tallis at times. After the next two games I can't see gates getting above 2k. Is that sustainable Nigel?
RankPostsTeam
International Star6994No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 201113 years144th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 21:4729th Mar 24 11:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London (H) : Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:41 pm  
Looking at the academy highlights, Myles Lawford should be another one making his debut this weekend. As Dunning said against Newcastle, no one can complain if they're dropped this Week either.
Previous