Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 19 22:0321st Dec 10 08:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
From Hammersmith to the Shire to LA to the world!! Goodbye!
Signature
'You put your Wendell in,
You take your Brownie out,
You put your Bennett in,
And you make it to the 8,
You do the Oki Chokie,
And you get knocked out,
Thats what St George are about'

dally messenger wrote:
parra had no ball and still looked like scoring all the time

The Chief wrote:
What a knob Barrie MacKenzie is.

gutterfax wrote:
I like Bazza. He chose the name of a cross dressing Austalian institutions other persona.....and is your typical Aussie w@nker living in London whilst he tries to get some culture by visiting Prague to get pi55ed on Cheap Star, getting a fondle from a dodgy hooker in amsterdam and eating a snail for a bet when in paris. All of these things will make him a cultural icon when his visa runs out and he is sent the way of his great grandparents....alas, not in chains this time.

NEW COMPETITION COMING SOON!! YOU COULD BE THE NEXT BARRY McKENZIE!! WATCH THIS SPACE!!

Barry McKenzie can be contacted at aussielegendbaz@gmail.com

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 pm  
V For Vendetta wrote:
You've not read much Dally Messenger or cjhatesunion then. :lol:

edited for accuracy
Odem 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 29 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 20 12:1526th Feb 20 18:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot
Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good
-
sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league
-
Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate
-
the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever
-
Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go
-
Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know
-
FIOS

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:44 pm  
Barry_McKenzie wrote:
I almost wish I was still going to be here next year.

Wigan will be awesome

You serious?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4389No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 19 22:0321st Dec 10 08:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
From Hammersmith to the Shire to LA to the world!! Goodbye!
Signature
'You put your Wendell in,
You take your Brownie out,
You put your Bennett in,
And you make it to the 8,
You do the Oki Chokie,
And you get knocked out,
Thats what St George are about'

dally messenger wrote:
parra had no ball and still looked like scoring all the time

The Chief wrote:
What a knob Barrie MacKenzie is.

gutterfax wrote:
I like Bazza. He chose the name of a cross dressing Austalian institutions other persona.....and is your typical Aussie w@nker living in London whilst he tries to get some culture by visiting Prague to get pi55ed on Cheap Star, getting a fondle from a dodgy hooker in amsterdam and eating a snail for a bet when in paris. All of these things will make him a cultural icon when his visa runs out and he is sent the way of his great grandparents....alas, not in chains this time.

NEW COMPETITION COMING SOON!! YOU COULD BE THE NEXT BARRY McKENZIE!! WATCH THIS SPACE!!

Barry McKenzie can be contacted at aussielegendbaz@gmail.com

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:56 pm  
Odemwingie wrote:
You serious?

Dead set

Hoffman Lima and Finch as signings?

I reckon this will signal the start of a new dawn of Wigan dominance if they gel into the squad as well as I think they will.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2786No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 11 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th May 13 19:2730th May 13 19:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:59 pm  
Barry_McKenzie wrote:
edited for accuracy

Barry,go away you yawnion loving fool.
Odem 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 29 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 20 12:1526th Feb 20 18:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot
Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good
-
sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league
-
Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate
-
the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever
-
Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go
-
Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know
-
FIOS

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm  
Barry_McKenzie wrote:
Dead set

Hoffman Lima and Finch as signings?

I reckon this will signal the start of a new dawn of Wigan dominance if they gel into the squad as well as I think they will.

I wouldn't say those 3 will signal dominance but we will certainly improve.
cadoo 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 23 200618 years275th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jul 24 17:2511th Jun 24 19:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing.

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:02 pm  
Fully wrote:
Although it doesn't include you do actually have one space to get a fourth, no? Also, it doesn't mention the fact that Carmont has come off quota and that you have several overseas players that don't count on the quota, no?

Allow me to clarify seems as people insist on putting a magnifying glass over the comings and goings at Wigan.

This season only Mark Riddell, Amos Roberts and Cameron Phelps count on the quota. Thomas Leuluai and Harrison Hansen have never counted on any quota because they were here from an early age (Hansen was here from 18, Leuluai at Harlequins whilst 20).

George Carmont, Pat Richards, Feka Paleaasina and Phil Bailey would have counted on the Non-Federation trained limit, but a number of Clubs in the last few months of 2008 used the we do not have enough overseas slots available reason for not renewing certain players contracts and at least one legal case was threatened based upon constraint of a player's ability to earn a living.

To avoid the delays of an expensive potential legal challenge and to be scrupulously fair to players, it was decided by the ESL/RFL -with the unanimous votes of the 12 Super League clubs - to extend Federation Trained status to any players who had committed their future to Super League before the new Regulations were implemented. Since 50% of such current players are 30+ and unlikely to play many further years in Super League, the majority of these exemptions will work their way out quickly.

George Carmont, Pat Richards and Feka Paleaasina therefore become Federation Trained immediately and Phil Bailey at the end of 2009. Unlike most other clubs, Wigan has 3 out of 4 re-categorised Non-Federation players of a young age.

Most of the above has come from Ian Lenagan. So don't doubt the source. I also quote something he posted on our forum a couple of years ago:

Wigan would have preferred not to grant the new re-categorisations because we had fully planned for them better than many other clubs. However, we voted for them for fairness to players and as the only sure way to ensure that the new Regulations would be implemented, albeit slightly slower

Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

To make way for these three signings, Wigan are releasing/released/believed to be letting go of Feka Paleaasina (Castleford + 1 other Yorkshire club), Phil Bailey (retire), Mark Riddell (gone home family reasons) and Cameron Phelps. George Carmont is believed to want to stay for another year and from then we look to see how Darrell Goulding, Josh Charnley, Stefan Marsh and possibly Karl Pryce get on to fill that vacant centre spot.

Wigan prior to these three signings only had 1 player that counted on the overseas quota - Amos Roberts. Now with Ryan Hoffman, 26 (current Australian international with 4 caps to his name, 5 SOO games and 3 City Origin reps to his name), Jeff Lima, 28 (New Zealand international with 6 caps to his name) and Brett Finch, 27 (3 SOO reps to his name) now make up our four quota players for 2011. You are allowed five players on the quota and so Wigan could in theory bring in another overseas player. However, Mike MaGuire has said, in an interview on our official website, that we are looking at what we have here in the vast amount of homegrown talent before looking to overseas. Reaffirming our policy of bringing on our own homegrown talent such as Sam Tomkins (five-year deal last year) and Lee Mossop (five-year deal this year).

steve wrote:
But let's not worry about the fact that Wigan bring in an Australian Stand Off and relocate an english one to full back so he doesn't play in the position he is selected for at International level.

Wigan DID NOT NEED Finch - they took him to stop HKR or whoever signing him...

Wigan aren't relocating Sam Tomkins. Brett Finch is being brought over to partner Sam Tomkins in the halves with Amos Roberts to slot in at fullback. Thomas Leuluai will move into his International position at hooker in replacement of the departing Mark Riddell.

Wigan have long needed an organising scrum half with a good kicking game. Hence the signing of Paul Deacon as a short-term fill with a coaching job at the end of the year. We have now fulfilled that requirement of an organising scrum half with a formidable kicking game in Brett Finch. Finch is also being brought over to accelerate the development of Joe Mellor, an up and coming scrum half who was MOTM in Wigan's victory of Saints' U20's final last season (who I bet you have never heard of). I dare say that Finch will also pass on a few tips to Sam Tomkins. After all the bloke has played over 250 NRL games with a career spanning 12 years.

Leaguefan wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/sale/8842387.stm

Hmmm

The whole story is interesting on so many levels and could be spun in so many ways.

The last part made me laugh after reading the article.

Perhaps the reason for the lad changing is a bit obvious but then again.

I have been at school with Iain Thornley since I was 12. The lad is a fantastic athlete (set records on sports day etc) and is a very talented player. He showed so much potential when he signed for Wigan in the U18's and U20's and did look like becoming the next great Wigan players and the next great England centre. However, his development has stalled greatly, partly due to the fact he decided to go to St.John Rigby College and finish his A-levels, whilst also partly due to the fact he didn't develop the footwork and skills required to beat bigger opponents. Earlier in his playing days - the article mentions he is six-foot four - he could just steam roll over his opponents. Now that he is being matched with players who are at a similar size his development has stalled. Now Sale have been interested in Thornley since he signed for Wigan. They have wined and dined his family etc etc. Wigan did offer him a contract (and a good one too!) but he turned it down. The offer from Sale is staggering for a player who has never played professionally. I believe part of the deal is that his University fees are being paid. As an 18-year-old, who has been to the same school/College as he has, the amount he is being offered is enough to turn me to Union and I detest the sport.

That article is very misleading and is typical of some of the dross and bile the media spout about Wigan RL. Ian Lenagan in his quotes to the press has tried to mention that we are committed to bringing through our homegrown talent and pointed out the long-term deals for Sam Tomkins, Joel Tomkins and Lee Mossop, as well as 11 out of our 17 being either Wigan born or Wigan trained when we played Warrington. All of this has duly been ignored. I think the main worry is that Wigan are becoming that team to be feared again and people can't quite swallow it. I look forward to see our boys thump some of these sides next season, whilst opposition fans can only spew out the same tosh about imports and the salary cap. :twisted:
Last edited by cadoo on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 28 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Nov 13 19:401st Jan 13 01:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
:CROWN: RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012 :CROWN:

The Christie - please donate

Greatest headline ever?

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:03 pm  
Andy Gilder wrote:
Back on the original topic...

I can see where Lenegan is coming from, had another league club picked up the player then Wigan would have been entitled to some compo for the time and effort they put into his development as opposed to seeing him just walk away. Still, it's a free gangway between the codes and operates in both directions so I'm sure he'd be only too happy to pick up some young player from Sale or Orrell fo free.

Are there any good young players at Sale? Have you watched Orrell recently? Deary me they have sld down to an awful level of rugby.
Fully 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8487No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Feb 20 00:294th Oct 19 18:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:07 pm  
cadoo wrote:
<snip>

I wasn't having a go, I was just merely pointing out that Wigan fans are using the "Four in, three out" statement when realistically they could have 'four in, four out'.

At the end of the day, the loopholes are being used but it's high time that a few of the team in SL stop exploiting these loopholes and start getting towards bringing through an entire English squad bar one or two Aussies.
steve 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman410No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200123 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Apr 14 15:457th Apr 14 11:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 pm  
ABP' wrote:
You'll find Leuluai is expected to play hooker interchanging with McIlorum.

Tomkins and Finch will be our halves and Roberts/Richards will be our full back with Roberts/Richards and Goulding/Pryce/Charnley on the wing.

2 stand off's together sounds good and a scrum half at hooker even better...
ABP' 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17252No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jan 15 16:0019th Jun 14 12:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan "owner" irritated : Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:18 pm  
steve wrote:
2 stand off's together sounds good and a scrum half at hooker even better...

Tomkins can play 7, as can Finch.

And Leuluai was New Zealands hooker when they won the World Cup.

:lol:
PreviousNext