Oct 07 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Jan 20 20:507th Jan 20 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:51 pm  
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
I never suggested that you post anywhere as John Drake. I suggested that you post as "Allora."

Sorry. That should read "ask John Drake"....bet offer still stands wingnut
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21091
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 22:1418th Apr 24 22:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 pm  
little wayne69 wrote:
Specifically calling somebody a weirdo is not fair comment, you are correct you are entitled to an opinion, but not to the extent where you deliberately shower a poster who has got the measure of you, with uncalled for insults, but it seems noticeable that there/their/they're seems to be one (1) rule for you and another for the rest of us.

Spot on pal. :CLAP: :CLAP:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain423No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 07 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:53 pm  
Cokey wrote:
Spot on pal. :CLAP: :CLAP:

I see that the HUGE thread has been locked, so I'll post my response to Steph Cury here instead.

Nobody is doubting the razz-a-matazz (sic) surrounding the Wolfpack, but scratch away the glossy surface and what's left is very little of any substance. Put into perspective, when Bradford were failing, the fans of Rugby League collectively rallied and raised funds to try and support the club. If Argyle was hit by a bus tomorrow, I doubt the odd bucket collection would replace him and the club would vanish quicker than it appeared.

Fantastic Media/PR work and clever photography are used regularly by the wolfpack to give the impression that they are bigger than they are. This isn't a critique by the way, because you need to polish a turn if you're going to sell it, but after the carpet was vacuumed at Arsenals press conference room and SBW was in the paper, what next? BBC are happy to use him as a filler, especially when he ticks a few PC boxes for them, but again, what impact is the long term does his interview now have?
Then there's the comparison with what we have in the ESL/RFL comps already. The use of the RFL press conference to demean the sport smacks of nothing other than outright trolling, but it is to be expected from the grub that posted it. If you wanted to compare like for like, why not these 2 pictures?

One is a state of the art multi-sport facitity run by the rugby and cricket bodies, the other is a municipal stadium rented from the council and in dire need of some TLC........but nobody is calling the wolfpack tin-pot.
Then there's the issue of what they bring to the game. New Players? Nope. Stand alone youth development? Nope. A North American TV deal? Nope? A few extra column inches 70 odd days before the first game of the season and nearly 6 months before SBW will pay a game in Canada? Yep....but that's it.
I've already show that Argyle's intentions are clear. He will buy the SL title at any cost. He is facing an £870,000 loss Based o a 100% paying capacity at Lamport) based solely on SBW's wages. He hasn't paid for travel, accommodation, training facilities, stadium rental, stewarding, club shop stock, back room staff, admin staff and the other 29 players he'll need for a SL season and he's already in an £870,000 hole.......he is gambling on winning SL, but although he has the most successful SL coach at the helm, said coach was found wanting once some of his inherited stars left and whilst they were promoted, they made it look very hard work v Fev.....part-time Fev that should be.
So, will he recruit? Definitely. Will he be able to stay beneath the cap? Who knows, but the current squad they have, 70 days out, isn't going to win anything and if you're oe of those who believe that SBW will do it all single handed, then you're the ignorant troll that we all already know you are.

It's his dime as they say in NA and good luck to him, but there's little chance of the SL chairmen collectively agreeing to a major increase in the cap and that's where Argyle will trip up.....but he'll be able to blame someone else because he wasn't allowed "buy the title"
This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain437
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 17 20186 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Jul 22 12:4521st Jul 22 15:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:54 pm  
This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 28 20186 years297th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 21 20:105th May 21 13:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rlfans - the most toxic rugby league forum in the world

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:01 pm  
AXE2GRIND wrote:
I see that the HUGE thread has been locked, so I'll post my response to Steph Cury here instead.

Nobody is doubting the razz-a-matazz (sic) surrounding the Wolfpack, but scratch away the glossy surface and what's left is very little of any substance. Put into perspective, when Bradford were failing, the fans of Rugby League collectively rallied and raised funds to try and support the club. If Argyle was hit by a bus tomorrow, I doubt the odd bucket collection would replace him and the club would vanish quicker than it appeared.

Fantastic Media/PR work and clever photography are used regularly by the wolfpack to give the impression that they are bigger than they are. This isn't a critique by the way, because you need to polish a turn if you're going to sell it, but after the carpet was vacuumed at Arsenals press conference room and SBW was in the paper, what next? BBC are happy to use him as a filler, especially when he ticks a few PC boxes for them, but again, what impact is the long term does his interview now have?
Then there's the comparison with what we have in the ESL/RFL comps already. The use of the RFL press conference to demean the sport smacks of nothing other than outright trolling, but it is to be expected from the grub that posted it. If you wanted to compare like for like, why not these 2 pictures?

One is a state of the art multi-sport facitity run by the rugby and cricket bodies, the other is a municipal stadium rented from the council and in dire need of some TLC........but nobody is calling the wolfpack tin-pot.
Then there's the issue of what they bring to the game. New Players? Nope. Stand alone youth development? Nope. A North American TV deal? Nope? A few extra column inches 70 odd days before the first game of the season and nearly 6 months before SBW will pay a game in Canada? Yep....but that's it.
I've already show that Argyle's intentions are clear. He will buy the SL title at any cost. He is facing an £870,000 loss Based o a 100% paying capacity at Lamport) based solely on SBW's wages. He hasn't paid for travel, accommodation, training facilities, stadium rental, stewarding, club shop stock, back room staff, admin staff and the other 29 players he'll need for a SL season and he's already in an £870,000 hole.......he is gambling on winning SL, but although he has the most successful SL coach at the helm, said coach was found wanting once some of his inherited stars left and whilst they were promoted, they made it look very hard work v Fev.....part-time Fev that should be.
So, will he recruit? Definitely. Will he be able to stay beneath the cap? Who knows, but the current squad they have, 70 days out, isn't going to win anything and if you're oe of those who believe that SBW will do it all single handed, then you're the ignorant troll that we all already know you are.

It's his dime as they say in NA and good luck to him, but there's little chance of the SL chairmen collectively agreeing to a major increase in the cap and that's where Argyle will trip up.....but he'll be able to blame someone else because he wasn't allowed "buy the title"

TL:DR
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 28 20186 years297th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 21 20:105th May 21 13:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rlfans - the most toxic rugby league forum in the world

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:04 pm  
Anyway. Despite the efforts of fans of irrelevant northern. Pit towns who feel threatened by the emergence of Toronto, let’s get this thread back on topic. I thought SBW came across exceptionally well In the press conference at Arsenal’s stadium.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain423No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 07 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:26 pm  
Steph Curry wrote:
Anyway. Despite the efforts of fans of irrelevant northern. Pit towns who feel threatened by the emergence of Toronto, let’s get this thread back on topic. I thought SBW came across exceptionally well In the press conference at Arsenal’s stadium.

You'll find that's because he received extensive media training from the NZRU and is well versed in saying what people want to hear.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8668
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 200519 years187th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 12:1714th Apr 24 21:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:28 pm  
Kennedy wrote:

:)
Kennedy wrote:

:)
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Mar 23 10:2529th Jan 20 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:33 pm  
I did not see the press conference, but I did see the BBC World News segment, available to tens of millions of viewers around the world, including North America, France and the United Kingdom. In this interview Sonny Bill Williams came across as a humble man and a gentleman. He and the interviewer mentioned that he had switched from rugby union to rugby league more than once. This was very important.

My conclusion was that it was a strong positive for rugby league, which will surely be followed up when Sonny Bill Williams makes his playing debut for Toronto Wolfpack in the UK in February, and again when he makes his playing debut in the great city of Toronto in May.

My only regret is that we don't have teams from Toulouse and London playing in Super League in 2020, because that would have magnified the impact of Sonny Bill Williams' presence even further in important parts of the world where we also want the game to expand.
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21091
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 22:1418th Apr 24 22:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Re: Sbw to Toronto : Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:44 pm  
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
I did not see the press conference, but I did see the BBC World News segment, available to tens of millions of viewers around the world, including North America, France and the United Kingdom. In this interview Sonny Bill Williams came across as a humble man and a gentleman. He and the interviewer mentioned that he had switched from rugby union to rugby league more than once. This was very important.

My conclusion was that it was a strong positive for rugby league, which will surely be followed up when Sonny Bill Williams makes his playing debut for Toronto Wolfpack in the UK in February, and again when he makes his playing debut in the great city of Toronto in May.

My only regret is that we don't have teams from Toulouse and London playing in Super League in 2020, because that would have magnified the impact of Sonny Bill Williams' presence even further in important parts of the world where we also want the game to expand.

PreviousNext