FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Greatest player of all time?
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1606No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 01 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Jan 21 00:0012th Jan 21 20:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:41 pm  
Wigg'n wrote:
It's not akin to anything you say. BB is a legend of the game and you're an anonymous person posting on the internet. His opinion is worth 1000x more than yours.

Okayyyyy......
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 05 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Feb 20 09:2114th Oct 19 16:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Hedon (sometimes), sometimes Premier Inn's
Signature
'when my life is over, the thing which will have given me greatest pride is that I was first to plunge into the sea, swimming freely underwater without any connection to the terrestrial world'

Yves Le Prieur, the real inventor of the aqualung

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:48 pm  
Wally Lewis
RankPostsTeam
International Star4812No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 15 201113 years118th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jun 24 14:282nd Jun 24 17:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:06 pm  
Superted wrote:
Okayyyyy......

So is schoey but people don't take him seriously, even though between his rants he is often right.
RankPostsTeam
International Star87No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 27 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Mar 15 01:119th Mar 15 01:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:01 am  
Him wrote:
Again, why would you think that Gregory, in a modern environment and having to deal with modern defences would be so far ahead of the top players currently?

I think it's massively disrespectful and frankly shows a lack of understanding of the modern game to think that way.

As I said, don't confuse better to watch with better standard.

I think you show a massive lack of understanding of life in general and Rugby League in particular. I would say you are 1/100 to have never played at any sort of level..

Please do not confuse having a fat bloke in a mask as your avatar with having any intelligence or worth...self importance is of course excluded...
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years319th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:18 am  
BrisbaneRhino wrote:

Size has also increased in the backs. I remember when Eric Grothe was considered enormous at 14 and a half stone. Meninga terrorised defences on the 82 tour when he was less than 16 stone (he put on a lot of weight later of course).

Its impossible to do anything other than rate players in their own era. Who knows if a 13 stone second row from the 60s could ever have beefed up enough to be 'great' today when a lot is down to childhood nutrition?

Clearly you never watched the game that far back or have much knowledge of that era as you'll find that there were plenty of 15 stone second rowers that were upwardly mobile, in fact one of Hull's all time try scorers was a 2nd row from the 20s who was 15+ stone.
In the 50/60s we had a fair few 17stone props. Yes size has increased in the backs but conversely so has their lack of agility, it's the somewhat 'smaller' backs that can jink their way around.

What you will find with forwards of old is that will put themselves/their bodies about a lot more than their modern counterparts, half the forwards in modern rugby run the ball in like a bunch of half hearted fannies and tackle as if they are made of biscuit. I'd say the top forwards of yesteryear would do just fine and backs like Andy Gregory whom has more heart and grit than any back in the game since he stopped playing would be sensational (sorry for the Stevoism) in SL. Burrow is probably the most comparable in the grit dept of modern backs. Gregs had speed off the mark, was a superb passer, had guile, could kick, was a strong tackler and he was facking hard as nails..I didn't particularly like him as an individual but as a player you cannot fail to see he is one of those stand outs that would make the grade in any era.

You and many before you make the classic mistake of thinking it is all about size.. it isn't. It has never just being about crash bang wallop, it's a thinking man's game and one that needs the mentality to overcome your opposition no matter what they look like size wise or what their reputation. You destroy/attack/dismantle the mind-set or out-think your opposition as much as you out-do them physically, hence why you can have blow outs between what on paper are evenly matched teams. You break the mind/spirit and it matters not how strong/fit you are, great players from any era you choose would succeed in any other era you chose to supplant them in because they have it within them to do so.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:39 am  
Him wrote:
Again, why would you think that Gregory, in a modern environment and having to deal with modern defences would be so far ahead of the top players currently?

I think it's massively disrespectful and frankly shows a lack of understanding of the modern game to think that way.

As I said, don't confuse better to watch with better standard.

Because as the saying goes "Class is permanent" - comparing Gregory to Smith is nonsense is like comparing Glen Lazarus to Ian Kirke.
Him 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 21 22:467th Nov 21 09:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:43 am  
Voltaire wrote:
I think you show a massive lack of understanding of life in general and Rugby League in particular. I would say you are 1/100 to have never played at any sort of level..

Please do not confuse having a fat bloke in a mask as your avatar with having any intelligence or worth...self importance is of course excluded...

:lol:
So can you answer the question? Or does you amazing knowledge of rugby league, obviously gained from playing for GB v Australia not allow you to back up your opinions? I think you need to improve your self-awareness, there are plenty of free courses and tests you can take to help you with that. Because someone who apparently understands life in general so well would realise that in life you often have to back up your opinions with either facts or some reasoning. What you then do is present your reasons and people debate them.

However if you choose not to do so then people might just come to the conclusion that you can't actually back it up, especially if you then resort to unnecessary personal abuse just because someone has the nerve to disagree with your unsupported claim. In that situation you run the risk of being described as an arrogant, patronising pillock.
Him 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 21 22:467th Nov 21 09:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:54 am  
Sal Paradise wrote:
Because as the saying goes "Class is permanent" - comparing Gregory to Smith is nonsense is like comparing Glen Lazarus to Ian Kirke.

I haven't compared Smith to Gregory in terms of equating them. Just asking why people think he would be so far ahead, to use their own terms, "in a different Galaxy" & "have skills the current England halves could only dream of".

Considering the game is very very different, especially for a halfback, compared to Gregory's day I'm asking why people think Gregory would necessarily fit in/work in a modern team at halfback and definitely why he would be somehow on a level well beyond the current players.

I'm not saying in the slightest that Gregory or any other top player wouldn't have made it today, but as I said in my reply to Voltaire that he couldn't be arsed to reply to, I think some top players from the past would've made it today and some wouldn't and vice versa for the current top players.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Jun 20 19:3514th Jun 20 19:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:46 am  
knockersbumpMKII wrote:
Even Jonathan Edwards is a better all round player than Johns, better kicker, had greater awareness, more speed (off the mark and top end), greater elusiveness, yeah Johns is the superior passer but JD is by far the superior player. Is JD the greatest ever..no but for me his all round talents put him firmly around the top 10 of all time.
deciding whom is the greatest is impossible, some players were unbelievably talented but played in unpopular/unfashionable teams and don't get the recognition. Some are elevated because they were in amazing teams and seemed to have all the time in the world and/or were dominant.

You put your nominated best player in any poor side and if the changes are vastly noticeable then you have a bona-fide nominee..

Can't agree with that. I loved Davies (I asume you don't mean Jonathan Edwards or Shaun Edwards) but Johns had everything a RL half back needs, physically not the quickest but his kicking, vision, and speed of thought were as good as any half I've seen play the game. At his best a privilidge to watch.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31645
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years75th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jun 24 20:023rd Jun 24 20:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: Greatest player of all time? : Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:23 pm  
Andy Gregory is the best British halfback I’ve seen in over 30 years. His ability to control a game with his passing, kicking and running was light years ahead of any other British player I’ve seen since. . It’s no coincidence that some of our best performances at international level came when he was in the team. Wally Lewis rated him as the best English player he ever came up against.

Only Johns and Sterling eclipse him IMO.

I’ve no doubt that if he had access to modern training methods he’s be as dominant now as he was back then.
PreviousNext