OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Jan 21 08:1119th Dec 20 20:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
And the Geek shall inherit the Earth!

bramleyrhino wrote:
How are TV viewers less tangible? They're the single biggest revenue source for most of our professional clubs.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Bums on seats (or feet on terraces) you can actually see.

Ultimately though, even for TV viewers, if less people attend matches, it reduces the atmosphere of the game and the enjoyment of watching it especially for neutrals and those without a specific allegiance. Away fans play a part in this.

As for the atmosphere not being important, Leeds always have their band playing. If crowd atmosphere wasn't important to the overall feeling you get in a live match, they wouldn't bother. You may not comment on it afterwards, but you notice when its not there.

I have nothing against Toronto or Toulouse getting promoted (just not at our expense obviously). If they get there then it might add a new dimension to SL but expansionism isn't the magic bullet to fix the game's financial situation. Money is (obviously) and getting bigger crowds, generating more interest locally and word of mouth about how good it is, is all part of that solution. You can't force people to like the sport because it's now global, you encourage people to like it if they like what they see in person and on the TV and an atmosphere in the live games is all important to that aim.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 02 20167 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Aug 18 13:5328th Aug 18 13:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

A lack of away fans need not be a problem. Clubs without any away fans should instead buy up a load of mannequins on the cheap from declining high street stores like Debenhams and Marks and Spencer. Dress them up in your team shirt and have them transported to each away game where they can be put into a section of the stadium so that they look like a dedicated away support. You just need one real fan with them, equipped with a 1980's style ghetto-blaster and a tape containing various pre-recorded songs and chants in support of that team. Press the button when appropriate and unleash some atmosphere. Job done.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Oct 20 11:2121st Oct 20 10:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

Gallanteer wrote:
Lies, damn lies and statistics. Bums on seats (or feet on terraces) you can actually see.

Ultimately though, even for TV viewers, if less people attend matches, it reduces the atmosphere of the game and the enjoyment of watching it especially for neutrals and those without a specific allegiance. Away fans play a part in this.

You can "see" TV audiences. It's what broadcasters look at when they determine whether or not a sport is worthwhile investing in. It's what potential sponsors look for. It's absolutely tangible and, as the sport's biggest revenue source, it should be prioritised.

Nobody is saying that we want fewer people to attend games. What I would suggest is that making decisions about the direction of this sport based on spurious ideas about "away fans" is misguided. We can generate atmosphere without away supporters (as evidenced by the atmosphere at many international events) and by other sports where 'away fans' is less of a factor. Most American sports are "made for TV" and command huge TV audiences, yet away fans and the contribution that they make to the TV product don't even register in the debate.

As for the atmosphere not being important

I never said it wasn't. My argument is that you don't necessarily need "away fans" to generate that and, given that you brought up the idea of what is and isn't tangible, the value of "atmosphere" is about as intangible as it gets.

t expansionism isn't the magic bullet to fix the game's financial situation.

I don't think there is any sensible poster on here who believes it is. It is simply one part of the equation and expansion is, in my opinion, an opportunity cost worth taking.

Money is (obviously) and getting bigger crowds, generating more interest locally and word of mouth about how good it is, is all part of that solution. You can't force people to like the sport because it's now global, you encourage people to like it if they like what they see in person and on the TV and an atmosphere in the live games is all important to that aim.

So we're back to "the way to improve this sport and get more money into it is to focus on the heartlands". The problem is that nobody seems to have any idea as to how doing that makes this sport relevant in the modern sports and media market. We have an aging audience that advertisers and the wider media don't care about, an audience that is generally hostile to any attempt by the clubs of governing body to try and generate more revenue from the supporter base, and people still think that focusing on this audience is going to change that? Word of mouth marketing isn't going to scratch the surface here simply because of the biggest failing with word-of-mouth - that people only tend to talk to people who are like them.

You're right, you can't force people to like this sport - that is not and never has been what marketing is about. But you can take this sport and make it more interesting, more exciting and more accessible to new audiences. And that's where expansion (amongst various other things) comes into the equation. If the existing clubs can do that, fantastic. But I don't think that they can.
Last edited by bramleyrhino on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21091
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 22:1418th Apr 24 22:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Muggins wrote:
A lack of away fans need not be a problem. Clubs without any away fans should instead buy up a load of mannequins on the cheap from declining high street stores like Debenhams and Marks and Spencer. Dress them up in your team shirt and have them transported to each away game where they can be put into a section of the stadium so that they look like a dedicated away support. You just need one real fan with them, equipped with a 1980's style ghetto-blaster and a tape containing various pre-recorded songs and chants in support of that team. Press the button when appropriate and unleash some atmosphere. Job done.

And who's going to pay for the security at that end? :lol: :IDEA:
RankPostsTeam
International Star1426No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 27 201311 years316th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Nov 22 21:4021st Sep 22 16:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Perhaps we need a rerun of Kerry Packer versus Rupert Murdock. Perhaps a cash rich Chinese consortium willing to create a world league of brand new teams to bring rugby league to the downtrodden masses and make the game the dominant sport in the universe. I, of course, have absolutely no idea as to how this will happen but it is more likely than anyone fighting their way across the Pennines on the M62 on a Thursday evening.
SRV 
RankPostsTeam
International Star106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 01 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Sep 19 21:204th Aug 19 10:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I wonder what the average away following in Super League is? For Saints, we have Catalans, Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield, Hull KR bring no more than a couple of hundred fans. Only Wigan and Warrington consistently bring more than 1,000. That's not a criticism. We play on a Friday night, fans work on a Friday, it's tough to make it to a match.

For the Hull clubs, I doubt that any side aside from the other Hull side, Leeds and maybe Castleford take more than a few hundred fans. If Widnes went down, would it make that much of a difference if they take 50 fans to Hull and Toronto take 0?

Maybe clubs should focus more on filling their grounds themselves rather than relying on others?
RankPostsTeam
International Star1946No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 03 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Nov 18 06:0620th Oct 18 18:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.

SRV wrote:
I wonder what the average away following in Super League is? For Saints, we have Catalans, Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield, Hull KR bring no more than a couple of hundred fans. Only Wigan and Warrington consistently bring more than 1,000. That's not a criticism. We play on a Friday night, fans work on a Friday, it's tough to make it to a match.

For the Hull clubs, I doubt that any side aside from the other Hull side, Leeds and maybe Castleford take more than a few hundred fans. If Widnes went down, would it make that much of a difference if they take 50 fans to Hull and Toronto take 0?

Maybe clubs should focus more on filling their grounds themselves rather than relying on others?

Summed it up perfectly.

Regards

King James
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Sep 18 03:1713th Sep 18 11:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

SRV wrote:
I wonder what the average away following in Super League is? For Saints, we have Catalans, Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield, Hull KR bring no more than a couple of hundred fans.

Salford have taken much more than 200 to away games mate.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Sep 18 03:1713th Sep 18 11:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Somebody will be displaying this banner for the match. Hopefully it should help TWP's case that they mean business. Then again it only exposes the apathy and lazy efforts of most established clubs to promote themselves...

This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
International Star7194
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 13 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jul 19 16:551st Jul 19 19:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="SRV"]I wonder what the average away following in Super League is? For Saints, we have Catalans, Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield, Hull KR bring no more than a couple of hundred fans. Only Wigan and Warrington consistently bring more than 1,000. That's not a criticism. We play on a Friday night, fans work on a Friday, it's tough to make it to a match.

Maybe clubs should focus more on filling their grounds themselves rather than relying on others?[/quote]

It depends on the night really we’re supposed to play sundays but due to sky we only had 3 Sunday games this year so that has a bearing on the Lancashire clubs coming over I have noticed a drop off in away fans in recent years take Hull out of the equation and I’d say Leeds bring the best following then Wigan and Wakefield Cas and Hudds also bring a few fans with Wire and Saints it depends on the night Widnes predictably bring the least apart from Catalans of course
PreviousNext