FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Which teams will be the competition leaders in 2019?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5639
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20 200915 years238th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 03:1524th Mar 24 22:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

fun time frankie wrote:
Wakefield fans seem pretty cocksure at the moment

Out of interest where have they been cocksure? We've had what 2 Trinity posters reply on this thread and neither made any prediction about where we'd finish, we haven't even done a prediction for next season on our own site.

You seem to be reacting to Wrencat not rating your chances more than anything, which is his prerogative tbh but yet he doesn't say anything about how we'll go next season does he - in fact he places teams that finished below us above us. Or maybe it was vastman saying that no matter who you might sign, you as a team are yet to build up the resilience and cohesion or depth needed to guarantee to win as many games as required. If you don't agree put your case forward instead of the sly dig.

Personally speaking, I haven't a clue which teams are going to do what, Saints will be up there, probably along with Wire and although Wigan has lost a few players they'll be up there. Leeds will probably be better as well with the new Coach and a few key pieces of recruitment. As for Trinity I think we can generally improve as a side on last season due to not losing any players and adding a few bits of quality into the mix, we lost 6 games by a try or so loss last season and we failed to finish close games off, it's why Brough with his excellent kicking game has been brought in. Also, the experience of being there or thereabouts the last 2 seasons will have done us the world of good, saying that a top 5 will be a good result for us. Cas no doubt they'll be in the upper half and Powell will do his magic, but can he do it another season, have they signed players that will strengthen then more, who knows?

The teams I'm not sure about are Hudds, they signed a good winger but brought in a half which could go either way, plus I generally don't think they've strengthened that much, but again who knows. Hull could go either way, practically the same side that lost all those games but if they have fewer injuries they'll be competing. Hull KR, they've made a few good signing but I'm not sure how far a move up the table they can make, time will tell. Catalans although some people fancy them to be up there I'm undecided about it. They've made a very good signing in Tomkins but they've lost Drinkwater and brought Smith in, how's that going to work. I also think their away form will always hold them back somewhat especially at the start of the season and are they suddenly go from 8th to top 4, I doubt it personally. Salford has a decent 17 but lacks forward power and depth at the moment, if they could get more power and depth to use those backs they will do alright.
Last edited by Shifty Cat on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5639
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20 200915 years238th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 03:1524th Mar 24 22:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

wrencat1873 wrote:
Eh, how do you get to that ?

Is it because we've finished 6th, 5th and 5th in the last 3 seasons and we no longer predict our imminent demise ?
Not exactly cocksure is it and if you ask prety much any Trinity fan, I can't see any predicting something better than last season and most would be delighted to make 5th again, which given the improving stock at Catalan and Huddersfield, would be an excellent sffort.

Having said that, EVERY club will want to try and improve on last season and why should Trinity be any different ?

Yeah, it seems every other side just about can talk their team up but Trinity can't even when they haven't on this thread. :)

Tbh I'm not seeing this Hudds improvement over last season. ho doubt Woolford got them playing to a much better standard but even their own fans have questioned their signings or lack thereof so far. Yes, they've signed Uate and Frawley and a few others but so much will be on an Aussie newcomer to be the playmaker, after years of Brough bossing the show. We know ourselves when we signed Sam Williams that bringing in a decent NRL half doesn't mean that much if he doesn't immediately gel with the rest of the team. They may do well but I'm not at the moment seeing their improving stock tbh.

Anyway, I agree 5th again for us would be a good finish, I don't think it's unreasonable taking into account our last few years and the improvements we've made in the squad, even taking into account other sides and would give us a taste of playoff RL we haven't had in a few years.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35915
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:0426th Mar 24 20:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

fun time frankie wrote:

Are they! I’ve predicted 4th but that’s my most positive prediction that could realistically be obtained. We could easily be bottom 4 and battling to stay up if we are not careful. I actually can’t see a single team in SL who look totally billet proof.

However basing it on form, team stability and make up and a few signings on paper Wakefield look strong, I think that’s reasonable.
Nothus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5872No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 04 200519 years232nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 15:527th Mar 24 16:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Has Michael Carter made any suggestions as to how much of the cap Wakefield are spending up to this season?
I think that might be why some fans continue to overlook them as contenders. Their final league standings in recent years in combination with their relatively low spend will paint Wakefield as being overachievers in many people's eyes.
I don't know the state of Wakefield's finances so I have no idea how feasible this might be, but if I was a Wakefield fan I'd be wanting to see the club push on and try and break into the top 4. To do that I think the cap needs to be utilised to its fullest.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Nothus wrote:
Has Michael Carter made any suggestions as to how much of the cap Wakefield are spending up to this season?
I think that might be why some fans continue to overlook them as contenders. Their final league standings in recent years in combination with their relatively low spend will paint Wakefield as being overachievers in many people's eyes.
I don't know the state of Wakefield's finances so I have no idea how feasible this might be, but if I was a Wakefield fan I'd be wanting to see the club push on and try and break into the top 4. To do that I think the cap needs to be utilised to its fullest.

I think Wakey are spending closer to the cap than Carter makes out, think he/they like to play the underdog role. ATEOTD they have had three top 6 finishes in the last three years so that will attract some interest in their players but they seem to be keeping them and able to add more, that takes money to do that.

WRT to their 5th place finish last year, taking a closer look they were only 3 points ahead of a very poor Leeds team at the split and let’s be honest the others in those 5th-8th position basically gave up in the Super 8’s. That won’t be happening this year I think with the new system and 5th place being a playoff spot so a lot harder to achieve this year.
Fordy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5086No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 03 200519 years225th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Nov 22 09:4424th Nov 22 09:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WAKEFIELD TRINITY - The PRIDE of Sporting Wakefield

THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
Looking at the new recruits and past performances, one would have to say that the 2018 Challenge Cup finalists Warrington and Catalans, will be the two top teams.

However Leeds under new coach David Furner, -- if he can get the two Tongan fatties Tuimoala Lolohea and Konrad Hurrel, to lose weight -- will certainly be in the extended top group.

St Helens and Castleford will also be competitive in the extended top group.

However Wigan is the big mystery. They have lost three players, two of whom (Samuel Tomkins and John Bateman) are top rank. They have acquired Zachary Hardaker, whose form after two years out is uncertain. They have a new coach, whose experience as head coach is nonexistent. It is hard to think Wigan is going to be as competitive as it has been in recent years.

Then what about Hull FC? I see them as mid table along with Wakefield.

Do you agree?

The only thing Catalans will be leading is the sack race - McNamara shown the door after less than 10 games is my prediction - You heard it here first!!

Now, which one of your 27 different accounts are you going to use to reply to that prediction Jean?????
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20 20185 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Sep 19 12:1512th Sep 19 20:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The Leigh and Wakefield fans mentality......

Say something negative about any other team than theirs - Its an opinion

Say something negative about Leigh and Wakefield - TROLL

On paper, I would say Warrington are the team to beat this year. Then it will be between Cas, Saints and Wigan.

At the other end, luckily for Salford and Wakefield, London are terrible and will go down with probably the lowest points total in SL history
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6734No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 16 200321 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jul 21 17:133rd Jun 21 10:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The referee's indecision is final

Nothus wrote:
I think the travelling will always hinder Catalans to some degree, so I can't see them making the top three. But top 5 is certainly possible.

Could next year finally be Warrington's year? They've made some good signings, if Blake Austin is here to play then they could be in with a shout next season.
Saints will be up there again, as will Cas and Wigan.

Not sure what to make of Hull's off-season, stability and lack of major personnel changes could be good for them maybe? Their terrible form at the back end of last season would worry me though if I was an FC fan.

the issue for FC next season is that it is the end of a lot of player contracts at the club. if there are no extensions there is likely to be a big turnover of players next year rather than this off season. how well they will do depends on how often the first 17 can take to the field.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1360No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 13 200915 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Jul 23 19:429th Jun 23 21:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
We put this festival on you ba****ds
With whole lotta love
We worked for one year for you pigs
And you wanna break our walls down
And you wanna destroy
Well you go to hell

I think if we (Trinity) can get 5th again that would be a big season for us - as previous posters have already said it will be much tougher with no teams switching off 75% of the way through to focus on the M8s.

It's also a fair point about us over acheiving in the last 2-3 seasons, despite us being very close in 4-5 games (1 score off winning them) I still can't help think that there has to be a correction somewhere along the line, we can't keep over acheiving and with potential improvement expected from Leeds, Hudds and HKR it could be very congested for 4th-9th. I see 3 or 4 (if Salfod pick up) mini leagues:

Saints
Wigan
Wire

Cas
Trinity
Leeds
Catalans
Hudds
Hull FC
Hull KR

Salford

London

It's probably one of the most open races for play off places I can remember, I think Cas need to be very careful again too - Powells tin of turd polish can't last for ever.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain366No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 05 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Jul 20 12:0020th May 20 12:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"It's the refs fault again". Biggest moaning whingers in RL.

fun time frankie wrote:

They sure are and have been for quite some time.

Must be down to all those trophies they've been winning plus that world class arena they play in.
PreviousNext